Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (27) « First ... « 25 26 [27]
Apr 21, 2022 1:44 PM

Dec 2018
lol at that real quick NGE "congratulations" type finish for a second but this was a masterpiece ending and i was right from the beginning. a few episodes that had unnecessary crap in them or bad moments that kind of dragged it down. take those out and more reliable animation and it's a 10.
Apr 24, 2022 3:08 PM
Jul 2019
Ppl both simultaneously overwank and overhate this anime at the same time, lol

Apr 30, 2022 3:32 PM

Jan 2020
Wow, what a dick move on Saki's part. For all her selfishness of wanting to save Satoru she was real fucking quick to throw Kiroumaru away. That is legitimately disappointing to me. Every other plan that involved sacrificing someone else, a human, she rejected adamantly. What happened to the girl who was lifting the Queerat out of the river?

Then, she had the audacity to ask Squealer why he would rebel, and his reason echoed Kiroumaru's. It's nearly laughable that she'd get upset about it too, considering she literally just sacrificed a Queerat for the sake of Humanity. She embodies their reasoning and fear. Somehow she went from a compassionate character to a selfish one by the end of this series. Despite all her bravado she seems to be nestled right into the very society she swore to rebel against.

On the other hand; I can't bother to sympathize with Squealer, he pretty much got what he deserved. Even if his actions were justified, at the end of the day he didn't bother to try and make amends with the next generation of humans. He treated Saki and her friends like they were responsible for their ancestor's actions. If he didn't present himself as an ally to Saki and her friends, I would probably feel more bad about his situation. But it feels more like he's betraying people who were open to treating him differently because of his own prejudices.

I mean, both sides were wrong. They could've benefited from some more open communication. Saki seemed like she could've been that channel, but here we are, at the end, kind of just going through the motions and not changing much of anything about the system. It almost seems like Saki even goes so far as to give up there at the end, writing a letter and leaving it in the hands of someone else in the distant future.

As a whole the series was quite good, but a lot of this last episode made me dislike Saki. Which, in a way, is impressive as she was the only character I cared about this entire time.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

May 1, 2022 10:33 PM
May 2022
CzeroC said:
After 3rd watch, I'd have to say that while Squealer's revolt was more or less understandable given what his "species" had gone through, in the end, it's just men repeating the same mistakes again.

... ...

That's not to defend the Cantus user's side either, what they did to pre-Queerat race was equally fucked as human beings but this is just a fantasy story so I guess it's pretty interesting to see a story going this far to expose the potentially most negative side of human and such, on top of sending a message that "conflict" will always be there to accompany living things no matter how hard you try to deflect it.

For me, this was part of the psychological horror of the story, the twist at the end when Saki (and only she alone was wise enough or compassionate enough) realises the monstrousness of her own society, a "we have met the enemy, and he is us" moment.

But I would like to think that the ending is hopeful - saki / 先 means "future" in Japanese after all (mirai / 未来 too, but saki is the native word, mirai is the Sino-Japanese loan), and the final scene is of her, pregnant, writing to future humans, "from the new world" (literally the last spoken line, and maybe a reference to Aldous Huxley's horrific Brave New World). I think she tries to document the horrors of her own society so that future generations will learn from it.

I also think, however, that Kishi (the author) is actually cynical too - this is his vision of a post-apocalyptic future Japan after all and it is a horrific one - so I don't think he has faith in human nature. But, what else can we do other than try, right? And so we struggle on, doing our best, making difficult choices, etc.
Jun 15, 2022 3:24 PM
Aug 2019
Such a great ending. Felt everything closed so nicely. Still my head has been wandering constantly, if Tomiko was capable of altering her own telomeres (part of her DNA) to make herself unable to die from old, couldn't she just alter also her own DNA to unable her death feedback?

At the end of the day she's capable of altering her DNA, so she could have done something like that to instantly kill fiends without repercussion. Or that's what I thought it could be a possible ressolution of the series, while also making Tomiko capable of dealing with future fiends. Or I skipped smth or maybe I'm too smart for the series, that's why I'm giving a 8,5/10 ---> 9 in MAL
Jun 26, 2022 7:05 AM
Aug 2012
whatr a deep serious serious I've finished, yet I was left with so much open things to think over...thank you!
Jul 2, 2022 4:25 PM
Dec 2020
I've been struggling through 17 episodes, and everything goes real in ep 18. After watch it until ep 25, i understand why this show is praised. Sadly, i think there are still a lots of things that remain unexplained. There are also some unnecessary things that make lot of peoples out there surrender and dropped this show too early.
Jul 3, 2022 10:03 PM
Mar 2021
So… if Shun’s consciousness lives eternally in Saki’s heart, does this mean he’s third-wheeling the whole entire time!!
Jul 12, 2022 1:17 AM
May 2021
Wow this final arc was the best one of this series and I see why this has so high ratings. The unpredictability from the start to end. and dam didn't expected those rats to be former humans with no power. I give this *10/10* , glad to see Saki and Satoru ended up
Sep 4, 2022 11:36 AM
Apr 2022
Not found any interesting, but i think someone might find
Nov 4, 2022 5:57 AM
Aug 2018
this anime just overated i give it 6 that's the max it deserves
Nov 7, 2022 6:39 PM

Jan 2011
i wonder, are they still killing their kids up to age 17 if they fail at Sage academy? i assume not since Saki is in charge now an also due to some dialogue hinting at changes in the society as well as the tainted cats no longer being kept hidden, man they really forgot about poor Reiko

when i looked at my list i wondered, why i didnt gave SSY a 10? its on par with my other favs like Now and Then, Here and There or maybe Tsumiki no Ie but after a rewatch i see that it does annoy how poorly amimated some episodes were, partycularly ones like 6, 8 an a few others an then there was the psychobuster plotline which i never liked, still this remains as one of the most memorable anime ive seen 9/10

i know this wont happen but id be up for a full story about the fall of the ancient civilization, episode 4 was not enough for me
silversaintNov 7, 2022 6:49 PM
Nov 7, 2022 11:04 PM
Jul 2018
silversaint said:
i wonder, are they still killing their kids up to age 17 if they fail at Sage academy? i assume not since Saki is in charge now an also due to some dialogue hinting at changes in the society as well as the tainted cats no longer being kept hidden, man they really forgot about poor Reiko

when i looked at my list i wondered, why i didnt gave SSY a 10? its on par with my other favs like Now and Then, Here and There or maybe Tsumiki no Ie but after a rewatch i see that it does annoy how poorly amimated some episodes were, partycularly ones like 6, 8 an a few others an then there was the psychobuster plotline which i never liked, still this remains as one of the most memorable anime ive seen 9/10

i know this wont happen but id be up for a full story about the fall of the ancient civilization, episode 4 was not enough for me

>i know this wont happen but id be up for a full story about the fall of the ancient civilization

It actually did happen, from what I remember it is discontinued and I don't know it will ever be finished but look up Shin Sekai Zero-Nen, "The New World: Year Zero"
Dec 19, 2022 12:42 AM
Mar 2013
Did they seriously change the gender of the fiend at the very end of the series lmao...

Final episode was the best episode of this series. It was a good twist with tje rat people actually being humans
Feb 6, 2023 3:25 AM

Feb 2013
Pacing at times was poor but great overall
8/10
Feb 22, 2023 2:55 AM

Aug 2014
From The New World (Shin Sekai Yori) might be still the best horror anime to this day that im writing this comment.

from the spooky town, spooky mystery, spooky background music, and that final arc. Maybe the only good horror anime up to date.

Only negative is that I just didnt see any point to introduce a Karma Demon. The anime should have just focus on the Ogre and not the Karma Demon. And I wasnt a big fan of the final 3 episodes of they going across the country and being in caves.

Another thing that bothered me is in the second arc: so the government saw that some of the Rats were building factories with weapons from the past from information they gathered.....AND THE GOVERNMENT DIDNT FIND THIS SUSPICIOUS!!!!???????

But a great anime. A true slow-burner. But never boring or dull, and to that I credit the spookiness of all.
oooo3333Mar 1, 2023 2:00 AM
Mar 25, 2023 9:03 PM
Apr 2022
BlufaceBaby said:
yea this show is a 2 pack of ass
I agree it was a complete mess. Started off strong - a group of innocent and curious kids slowly discovering the dark secrets of their society, with some really cool anecdotes introducing the history of PL, karma demons etc. I thought it would be a really stimulating psychological / mystery anime but it became a poorly written battle shounen with so much focus on those ugly ass, cruddy designed queerats. New themes every episode with more and more potholes, inconsistent animation / design.
_Arc4n1_ said:
Ppl both simultaneously overwank and overhate this anime at the same time, lol
Really disappointing as the show had so much potential.
Apr 8, 2023 8:28 PM
Dec 2020
Shinsekai Yori is like a one-shot, experiments with quite a lot of themes but excels in just few.
It has a problem with pacing but I think the deeper problem lies within it's framework, strictly speaking about the story it's amazing but the way it's presented is at times bad.

But on the good side of it, I think Saki is a great protagonist and all the characters are distinct and well-defined. Squealer is a fucking phenomenal antagonist(Yes, he did nothing wrong). On a purely psychological/philosophical aspect, Shinsekai Yori is quite good.

I can rant about how it does things wrongs, but I'll probably praise this series for it's takes on different things. One such thing on the top of my head is the "Psychobuster" which I thought would be deus ex machina for Shinsekai, but it wasn't, for which I was quite relieved instead it developed Saki's character.
All in all a great series. 8/10 for me
Apr 14, 2023 3:25 AM
Apr 2022
Show Rate Meter Guide  - (5 Great _ 4 Good _ 3 Fine _ 2 Not Good _ 1 Bad).(dismal are sometimes needed)
[Story] - 5 
[Art/Animation] - 4
[Sound/Music] - 4
[M-Character] - 5
[S-Character] - 4
[Enjoyment] - 5
[Overall] - 5
Wow I cant believe how much this show impacted me, This is one to remember for the age's. I felt uneasy a few times with some of the eps and depress with others. The overall story was a very sad one, the society the people build for themselves with power and other's with out powers is just pure sick. I was about to past on this anime because of the art style of the show, the art style looks cute. But it a lot gore and violence with a few sexual moments with the cast growing up through the show. This is going to be, One of the top anime shows I have seen this year!!! just WOW. This anime is one that I will never forget about after seeing it for the first time ever.                
CcCharlesApr 22, 2023 2:38 AM
Apr 14, 2023 6:52 AM

Feb 2014
Okay, wow. I feel sad about Kiroumaru's — as well as Maria and Mamoru's child's death. Then they have to drop that bomb about the queerats. 😭 This final episode really had me feeling sorry for Squealer too.
Apr 24, 2023 12:00 PM
Apr 2023
One shot in one day, change my vision of the manga... Beatifull, strong, sad and hard (at the beginning and in the end).
Apr 28, 2023 2:35 PM

Mar 2013
So the whole plotwist was something obvious to anyone since episode 1 when Saki saved the rat ? still liked how deep it ended.
Jul 9, 2023 5:56 AM

Jul 2015
Rip Kiroumaru, truly one of the most badass characters. Honestly bit stupid to have allowed Squealer to carry out his revolt despite years ago knowing he's suspicious but still you can't truly hate him as he was just standing up for his 'kind'. Aside from that quite the fascinating anime with its unique plot on this dystopian dark world of psychokinesis people and mutants.

Nov 13, 2023 1:48 AM
May 2021
A bit weird, overall. The rythm was somehow irregular, and maybe my mind was not ready for this but maybe I expected more.
Dec 27, 2023 11:59 PM

Mar 2018
Kiroumaru died a noble death, he was him.
hello hello
Mar 2, 8:13 AM
Jan 2021
A great series! Finally, Saki and Satoru ended up together, but I expected a bit more romantic build-up between them. Even up to the final episode, it seems she still loves Shun more than Satoru. Anyway, at least Saki and Satoru are a happy couple now. Also, just as I thought, Monster Rats are mutated humans after all.

My personal rating: 8.5/10
Pages (27) « First ... « 25 26 [27]

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.