Forum Settings
Forums

Spotlight Manga: Serial Experiments Lain: The Nightmare of Fabrication

New
How would you rate this manga?
Feb 8, 2013 4:07 AM

Nov 2008
Spotlight Manga: Serial Experiments Lain: The Nightmare of Fabrication

MAL Manga Information Page: Serial Experiments Lain: The Nightmare of Fabrication

MAL Score - 7.89 (by 1864 users)
Ranked - #1294
Popularity - #749

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the manga that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate a manga: Art, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Art - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Art - discuss any pros and cons of the art styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Character - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to specific characters in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 4 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to seeing how this discussion will develop.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Serial Experiments Lain: The Nightmare of Fabrication was NOT inducted into the club Manga list:
7 Yes - 22.5%
24 No - 77.4%

39 Don't know this manga - 52.7% of the total number polled
4 Abstained - 5.4% of the total number polled
santetjanMar 1, 2013 4:25 AM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 10, 2013 8:45 PM

Jan 2009
Uh, so a bite-sized extension of the Lain condition / psyche.
It's so small, and so derivative, I'm not sure why people have nominated it?
Feb 12, 2013 11:48 PM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
Because Lain is that awesome. :3
Feb 15, 2013 1:37 PM

Nov 2008
ridojiri said:
Uh, so a bite-sized extension of the Lain condition / psyche.
It's so small, and so derivative, I'm not sure why people have nominated it?

Well...

1) Because both Lain the anime and Lain the character died, so this manga is the only thing left to represent the series in this club.

2) Because someone else was nomming it and we were having an acute short manga shortage at the time, so I decided to join in.

I'm not expectiong anything to come out of this, but it was neat and fitting addition to the Lain canon and I will probably vote yes anyway.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Feb 16, 2013 11:00 AM

Apr 2012
A far too fleeting, far too ephemeral, moment for any lasting impression; like a hasty gust of wind that comes and goes. Interestingly enough, NoF puts out enough drama as if we were in the middle of a longer story, and as such, the build-up of (rather basic) themes just doesn't do anything. It feels more like a paltry appetizer than a savory one, and while this may be a common problem among one-shots, the story's pace just feels too awkward. It works well as one of those streams of consciousness within the later episodes of Lain, but judging it alone is like taking a wee morsel of a cookie. There's just nothing to taste.

Overall, while I like Lain the series, it was too garbled up in its attempt to project insecurities, so much so that the story just felt too incohesive. It was enjoyable sure, but not without its flaws. However, taking this one-shot as Lain's last "hoorah" into the club, I'm unsure if I want to vote no. It will likely be an "abstain".
Feb 16, 2013 3:12 PM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
Well I read the manga which isn't that long, you can just finish it in like ten minutes. Even though it breaks my heart that Lain will never have a 2nd chance to be a part of the list on the club, this isn't really worth putting on the manga list since it's only scratching the surface on how great Lain is. However the art is really magnificent to look at. So it's a No for me.
Feb 22, 2013 4:14 AM

Nov 2011
TNoF gives us an insight into the mind of a very scared girl, and we see her mental insecurities about whether this reality is the real reality, whether her memories are real, whether she herself is real - we explore metaphysical themes, not on a grand scale, but on a very personalised scale. We don't get the same extensive themes we get in the anime, we get but a snippet. A very powerful snippet, I would say.

There isn't much of a cohesive narrative, but then it's 18 pages. The narrative is Lain's insecurities. It seems less like a 'story' in the traditional sense and more like a psycho-analysis, but the story is still there. We see Lain deal with her problems, and are left to question the reality of everything that's happened (in a rather formulaic ending, unfortunately), tying much into the themes of the manga.

ABe's rough art-style lends itself well to the mood and the inconsistent scene composition plays right into symbolising Lain's own cluttered and inconsistent psyche. Plus it's simply gorgeous to look at.

Much of my enjoyment of NoF stems from personal taste rather than any 'objective' quality (much like Diebuster), but I'd still invite and encourage people to vote yes (I will). But you probably won't after reading this. ;-;
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.