Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 25, 2013 12:30 PM

Jun 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I like how this one opens at a video rental shop; this was probably how many of the first audience for this show got a hold of it in the first place.

Decent little detective story. Kanuka is pretty cool as usual.

I like the denied fanservice joke at the end of the first-person animation sequence.
Sep 1, 2013 6:51 PM

Jul 2007
I feel like a Scooby Doo chase scene and unmasking were entirely avoided by Kanuka's sudden explanation.

She's like a Gameshark. xD
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
Sep 18, 2013 4:14 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I've always loved this episode. It has so much goodness in it, from the detective/ghost story spoof, to the excellent animation and art. The Kanuka running with her gun scene is a great pre-Doom first person shooter sequence! And doesn't Shinobu-san look gorgeous in her undies?!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 22, 2013 10:06 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

Daily disillusioned by the latest episode of a modern society well represented, from the master Oshii. Never more free-range and genuine characters I've seen in an animated production! XD
Plot all too predictable, I have seen many ... LOL
Narrative that sees Kanuka always above the others! : D
Design and animations good for those times!
Rating of 4/5 more than adequate!
Jul 4, 2014 1:03 PM

May 2014
Good episode that incorporated great animation sequences and a funny plot. Oshii is somethin else ain't he.

I REMEMBER TOUCH. PICTURES CAME WITH TOUCH. A PAINTER IN MY MIND.
Dec 3, 2014 12:21 AM

Nov 2011
YES! THIS is the Patlabor I've been looking out for so far. That was some Meitantei Conan shit right there.

.......and.............GOTOU HAS A CUTE NIECE!?!? HOLY SHIT!

This ep was VEEEEERYYYYYY ENJOYABLLLLLLLLLLLLE. Once again, an 80s anime proclaiming that it is not some sort of anime (another was GinEi) with an "autistic hero" or "punk kid" (LOVE THESE WORDS FROM GOTOU, HAHAHAHAHA). Though Gotou still has that funny side (what am I saying, this came prior), it's not the same if you watch the TV series first. That was the better Gotou. He's too wild here. #FeelsBadMan

Well, the only time Oshii has failed me miserably so far was in the previous episode. That was some monstrous bullshit.
zetsu_shorenDec 3, 2014 12:27 AM
Jul 10, 2015 10:14 AM

Jun 2009
Man, I loved this episode. Top notch all around.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 10, 2015 9:28 AM
Dec 2014
meh
murheAug 10, 2015 9:35 AM
Aug 21, 2015 9:18 AM
Dec 2014
Ha the Japanese police is just like the police here in Holland. Uniformed social workers, not a paramilitary outfit like in the US. You can't even shoot black people!
Mar 14, 2016 2:37 AM

Aug 2013
These last two episodes have been really strange. I guess I was expecting something different from this show.
Aug 5, 2016 2:47 PM

Jul 2016
Good episode but incredibly predictable.
Oct 5, 2016 11:21 PM

Sep 2014
I really loved this episode.
I can see myself returning to this one for a rewatch.
Such a fun episode!
Dec 3, 2016 2:21 PM
Sep 2016
It was okay, I don't know why we got a Conan episode in Patlabor though...
Dec 9, 2016 12:17 PM

Aug 2016
kinda a predictable episode, I had a feeling from the start it was just for testing them...
Nanika ga Okashii
Aug 3, 2017 2:42 AM
Jul 2017
So, help me out. What was going on between those two at the pool when the pool turned red? O_o
Aug 7, 2017 7:49 AM
Jun 2013
holy crap he blew up the store also gotou sure always looks pretty chill. Im a happly married man, but im still a man. Thats a great line right there. for someone who hates his job Shinohara sure goes in deep.
Feb 9, 2018 11:41 AM

Sep 2013
Really good episode. It reminded me of an old Scooby-Doo..."and I would've gotten away with it too...if it weren't for them dang Patlabor Police Bastards!!!"

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 6, 2019 10:10 AM

Nov 2016
It was obvious and I guess most of us came to the same conclusion as Kanuka. But the style of this episode was nonetheless great, interesting to watch and pretty funny.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 21, 2019 4:25 PM

Sep 2012
So like, did Goto kill those two criminals and the hostage? o___0 Maybe they mentioned what happened to them but I totally missed it. There must not be many applicants for the labor force if they let that trigger happy fool him stay on xD
Sep 8, 2019 7:56 AM

Feb 2012

All that to teach Ohta and the rest not the be trigger happy.

The "corpse" in the labour cockpit was my favourite part.

That girl definitely has Goto's face.

MrLegitimacy said:
So like, did Goto kill those two criminals and the hostage? o___0 Maybe they mentioned what happened to them but I totally missed it. There must not be many applicants for the labor force if they let that trigger happy fool him stay on xD
When Goto scolds SV2, he mentions that Sakaki (the maintenance guy with the shades) loaded a blank into the first chamber.
Fortress_MaximusSep 8, 2019 2:31 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 3, 2020 2:24 AM

Nov 2008
I, for one, did not expect the underlying mystery, so Kanuka's explanation caught me off guard. Overall good episode, it had many funny moments, like everyone celebrating summer holidays when they were told about being dismissed, Noa assuming the Gotou was a copy, Yamazaki choking Oota to go along with eavesdropping the girl's bath and Shinohara's "interrogation" methods.

The premise about an incident during a mock fight felt weak because of a total lack of precaution measures taken. I mean, the audience was standing mere meters away from a fighting armed giant robots, no shit that would be dangerous.

I especially liked the use of colour in a scene where everyone was in a classroom during a sunset.

P.s. nothing homoerotical about this shot at all, lmao
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Dec 22, 2020 12:34 PM

May 2018
"This isn't some mecha anime whose main character is an autistic kid"
God, that was so profound I almost cried. The most hilarious phrase in whole anime history.

Feb 2, 2021 2:11 AM

May 2020
I like Goto's line about how it's not some cliche mecha anime. Kanuka is hella smart. Makes you wonder why she sticks around these dummies.
Mar 18, 2021 11:40 AM
May 2018
Genoard said:
I, for one, did not expect the underlying mystery, so Kanuka's explanation caught me off guard. Overall good episode, it had many funny moments, like everyone celebrating summer holidays when they were told about being dismissed, Noa assuming the Gotou was a copy, Yamazaki choking Oota to go along with eavesdropping the girl's bath and Shinohara's "interrogation" methods.

The premise about an incident during a mock fight felt weak because of a total lack of precaution measures taken. I mean, the audience was standing mere meters away from a fighting armed giant robots, no shit that would be dangerous.

I especially liked the use of colour in a scene where everyone was in a classroom during a sunset.

P.s. nothing homoerotical about this shot at all, lmao

That sunset pic is so dope.
May 5, 2022 11:44 PM

Feb 2021
I didn't like this one either, the story wasn't that good and the characters feel stock like always. Haven't even figured out each of their individual names yet
Jan 5, 2023 9:06 PM
May 2018
the mystery was kinda obvious but the visual presentation was really really nice for the whole of it :)
I really like the whole scene where they're in redscale, it looks really cool!!
Feb 18, 2023 5:14 PM
Jul 2020
Everything was okay until that big exposition dump right at the end
I was lowkey kind of invested and then Kanauka wouldn't shut up.
Feb 18, 11:50 AM

Oct 2021
This episode was very fun, lol. This anime is so silly, it really does feels like a sitcom xD

Kanuka best waifu once again stealing the show, love it.
Mar 4, 5:38 AM

Jul 2017
Weird Scooby-Doo episode. I loved it! That line at the beginning was killer too (you know the one I mean).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: Early Days Episode 1 Discussion

RX-782 - Mar 2, 2014

20 by Adriannitro »»
Apr 19, 11:26 PM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: Early Days Episode 7 Discussion

Farabeuf - Sep 23, 2013

23 by satyrelfheim »»
Mar 6, 7:05 AM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: Early Days Episode 6 Discussion

Farabeuf - Sep 19, 2013

20 by satyrelfheim »»
Mar 5, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: Early Days Episode 5 Discussion

Farabeuf - Sep 19, 2013

23 by satyrelfheim »»
Mar 4, 5:39 AM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor Episode 3 Discussion

m0xxxy - Apr 23, 2012

36 by GarouWolf »»
Feb 17, 7:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.