Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Mobile Police Patlabor: Early Days Episode 7 Discussion

Sep 23, 2013 4:13 AM
Hitagi's Pet

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This rewatch of Patlabor OVA (in BD quality no less!) has been very satisfying. The stories, the characters, the voice acting and the animation are all top notch and it's easy to see how this spawned such a big franchise with films, tv series and the like. The mix of humour, action and political/social commentary is rarely seen nowadays. If you're watching this for the first time and like it, make sure to watch the tv series, were the humour is dialed up a notch.

My favourite bit at the end was the subtle exchange between Goto and Nagumo. It's so obvious he's into her, but she is much, much harder to read.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 1, 2013 9:17 AM

5/5

New slice of life section wildest ever. Texture that looks paventare terrorist scenarios beautiful tough, but eventually results in Manira very different! XD
Comedic narration and realistic with a hint of the social and political, as we have become accustomed M. Oshii!
My intention when I started watching these OVA, is to complete the full view of all the material on the set of Patlabor! I hope he does it! ^ _ ^

Jul 6, 2014 7:53 PM

This bonus episode, with new director Naoyuki Yoshinaga, delivered all the goods. And guess what... there's ACTION! With this episode, we got a good stand alone plot with action packed sequences, and that Oshii humor that I've come to love. I can't wait to delve deeper into the universe that is Patlabor.

I REMEMBER TOUCH. PICTURES CAME WITH TOUCH. A PAINTER IN MY MIND.

Dec 15, 2014 5:36 AM

What kind of a conclusion was that???

Okay, so it's because of Moritomo (the second thief) that they were able to find out about the group behind the initial theft of the Brocken Labor. Though that's what was connoted, they didn't make it absolutely clear enough. And even if I am right about that, what then? So they find out about the group behind the theft, then what? Why did Moritomo steal the truck in the first palce again? What's the connection of his actions to his wife giving birth? What the fuck

That was seriously a cheap last episode. Just happened to be a well-budgeted police chase. The two previous episodes were great. They're the greatest Patlabor episodes I've ever seen so far. They're the reasons why I would want to give this a 7, but with this as the final episode, what???? And what's with the SV2 units, go North! at the start of the credits? Does it have something to do with the first Patlabor movie?

Shit

Questions questions

There was no feeling of contentment. I felt that at the end of the 6th ep. That Kiyoteru Kai was hardboiled as fuck. Big disappointment that this OVA ended all too quickly. Even though it may have been messed up here and there, what with fucking sea monsters, at least we would have gotten more Patlabor a la Oshii.

Apr 4, 2015 8:10 AM

zetsu_shoren said:

I am by know means certain, but my understanding is that the guy was trying to get to where his wife was because she was going into labor, so that's why he stole the truck. He didn't know there was a stolen Labor in the truck, but in doing so he raised attention to the stolen truck/Labor. If he hadn't done that, the thieves would've successfully smuggled it out. Also, he backed up Noa in the fight with SEE. With all that being said, the captain felt he owed the guy, so he let him go.

As for the "SV, Go North", I believe that is just the title of the episode.

I agree that eps 5-6 were the best, but every episode was great imo. This is probably the best OVA series I've seen. I wish they still made shows like this! Beatific animation, superb voice acting, stellar soundtrack, and just the right is of action, comedy, satire, and politics. Plus the unspoken tension/interest between the captains is fantastic, especially that last scene! Will definitely be watching everything else now. And will be buying the BDs at some point.

10/10

Aug 10, 2015 11:12 AM
Pointless episode.

Overall 6/10 for the OVA, episodes 5-6 were the only good ones.

Aug 14, 2017 10:10 PM
funny how all this was kind of a misunderstanding. The guy didint even know what he had with him and the bad guy believed he was with his cause lol. I was expecting some grand conclusion to ova just another fun episode. Now on to the movies.

Nov 2, 2017 12:28 AM
kanuka and shinobu are my waifus.

Feb 9, 2018 1:57 PM

Well, it took me 25 years to get this thing off my watch list...and it was worth the wait. Great, classic anime with a real story.

8/10

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Nov 29, 2018 9:02 PM

It was overall okay OVA for me. Found it bit too clinch and tons of time spends on repetitive gags and characters didn't interest me at all except Goto who really is entirely different character and the most likable other than Noa and Kanuka has potential but felt like the show didn't develop them well. Also the production value didn't really impressed me which perhaps has to do with DEEN (who don't much track with mecha shows).

Jan 7, 1:00 PM

Not the best episode to end this OVA, but still had a nice conclusion.

Great series overall and definitely an all rounder. 8/10 for now, looking forward to check out the rest of this franchise.
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

Mar 6, 4:56 AM

What about the previous episode, i felt like it was going to be continued on this one, but no. Wack ending but it was a bit enjoyable series especially the re-training episode, it was funny.

6/10
"You know the rules, kill them all and keep moving "--- Lil Wayne- John

Mar 24, 5:46 PM

Meh, I sure the movies make this worth the watch.

Good female characters tho.