Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 14 15 [16]
Oct 18, 2021 9:14 AM
Oct 2020
This weekend I saw this movie. From this movie the story completely diverges from the TV series. I honestly didn't like this "new direction" the show has taken. I thought the jump in time was too sudden and unexplained. At this point I liked a lot more how it was covered in the old tv series and in the old movie as well. I hope the ending is better than how it was in this movie. That's why I end up giving only a 7 on this one.
Oct 20, 2021 9:09 AM

Jun 2020
Wow. What a movie. Seeing it's score and people's reactions, I thought this movie would be a bit meh compared to the rest. But man, is it good. Completely blew me away. The movie is as good as 2.0. The only problem was that it was too short. Not even 1:30 hours.
Jan 4, 2022 5:17 PM

Jul 2021
Finally something from this anime that I can say I really liked.
I liked the way the story is going and I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends. Hopefully this time, they make a really good ending.
asdasdsadad
Jan 15, 2022 12:58 AM

Jun 2020
RX-782 said:
Shinji you retard. They told you not pull the Spears!!!!
dont even gotta say more 😴😴😴

dis movie a bit ass 🤢
Jan 27, 2022 2:55 AM

Nov 2018
I miss old Evangelion. These movies are just not it ...
I hate everyone equally
Feb 21, 2022 8:02 PM

Feb 2010
after rewatch the 3.333 in 4k version i have to say: incredible.
Mar 8, 2022 11:32 AM

Feb 2020
Fifty fucking minutes into the movie someone actually bothers to tell Shinji the basics of what's going on. The human drama has been completely abandoned which leaves only chuuni and sci-fi bullshit.
3/10
mazuchiMar 8, 2022 11:40 AM
Mar 8, 2022 12:20 PM

Feb 2021
mazuchi said:
Fifty fucking minutes into the movie someone actually bothers to tell Shinji the basics of what's going on. The human drama has been completely abandoned which leaves only chuuni and sci-fi bullshit.
3/10
the problem with the movies is that they try to focus more on the lore aspect of the show, which was barely explored and didn't even make sense to begin with in Neon Genesis Evangelion.The thing people took away from the series was the significance of the characters themselves within the messy setting, where here they're pretty much just reduced to cardboard archetypes in the story that was already a mess
Mar 8, 2022 12:30 PM

Feb 2020
Crack said:
mazuchi said:
3/10
the problem with the movies is that they try to focus more on the lore aspect of the show, which was barely explored and didn't even make sense to begin with in Neon Genesis Evangelion.The thing people took away from the series was the significance of the characters themselves within the messy setting, where here they're pretty much just reduced to cardboard archetypes in the story that was already a mess
Yeah, I always thought of the lore and symbolism as "bad make-up" but below the surface there is a very emotionally intelligent drama. But here they just stripped away everything that made the original good.
Apr 13, 2022 10:16 PM

Aug 2019
Wow really beautiful continuation from the previous rebuild movie. I can comfortably say we are very much now in unknown territory, the core concept is still NGE but the story, plot is all so much different but all so still amazing to watch. Watching this different route of NGE reminds me of the first time watching the original, saying "wow thats a cool idea" and being able to say that again to this franchise is making me love it more and more.

Story wise i loved the route they're heading. They opened the doors to so many new ideas and plot points that i can't wait to see what they do with the rest of the series. All the characters, all the key concepts have all been heavily developed on and its just amazing to see them still able to push out such fresh and new ideas. Shinji getting thrown around, having almost no one anymore he can trust as everyone seems to have some sort of intention with him was well done, the lead up to the fourth impact was amazing to see.

Character development in this movie was a jaw dropper. From Misato almost doing a 180 personality wise putting on the captains hat and leading a full scale fleet against NERV, to Fuyutsuki talking back to Gendo and finally breaking news to Shinji, Asuka still calling Shinji an idiot then trying to beat him then to saving his ass in the end i couldn't help but feel like im watching more of a fucking badass MC. Heck even the side characters like Shigeru, Maya, Makoto and Toji's little sister were each given some screen time to show how much they've changed. If this show has done anything besides tell a brilliant story, is also shown and told some brilliant character development for everyone.
Kaworu's introduction i liked, he's shown clearly to be a support character for Shinji and they build off that well with the Piano duet, and fixing his Walkman cassette. But he also acted as a good ice breaker for Shinji and the harsh truth, but later does the ultimate sacrifice of burdening Shinjis sins which i thought was amazing to watch.
The "Rei" we saw in this movie obviously wasn't the same Rei that Shinji saved, none the less i feel like even though shes almost a fresh character, she developed well this episode. She went from "i don't know" "i wasn't ordered to" to "what would Rei do?" I mean nearer the end when she starts doubting who she is i felt like already showed a personality developing for this Rei.

Visuals were easily 10/10. They presented the world (or what's left of it) beautifully, the scenes of Shinji exploring remains of NERV HQ felt it was a trip down memory lane, where you couldn't help but point out and say "oh i remember this!" The design presented in this movie such as the "Wunder", new Eva units and angels, the massive Rei or Yui head, all felt very NGE but yet so fresh and modern. It kept the feel of a far future and something you'd see in a Sci-fi but at the same time felt so appropriate to NGE's themes. The animation was godly again, all the fight scenes were so fluid and amazing to watch. The scene of an almost fourth impact occurring was incredible to watch, i didn't expect to see it happen but my God was it a sight.

SFX i haven't touch on this till now, but the OST and music used are just the cherry on top for this show. The use of classic music on various scenes, then the use of acapella on scenes like the fourth impact, then scenes like the "Wunda" launching which had very metal, synth wave tracks helped set the various moods so well. As always, i thought the voice acting was great. Misato's stern voice helped add to the shock of her change of character, Shinji's cries of just being fucked up made me feel even more bad for him.

All in all ill give it a 10/10. Now that we are entering into what feels like Rebuilds true colours with such drastic changes to story, however again still keeping the core concept of NGE relevant, it feels like im watching a whole new NGE and i love it. All the ideas seem so fresh and new and i loved every minute of what i was shown.
Apr 25, 2022 8:47 AM
Dec 2019
This movie starts and ends so badly. 20 minutes into the opening battle I said to myself "This is so terrible. I actually hate this" but Kaowru does a lot of heavy lifting in the middle.
Then when Mari and Asuka show up at the end I just groaned and went right back to hating it. The good Evangelion is squished into this thing but the Wille stuff is so so so bad it almost makes me cry. Half the movie is just mindless action scenes without a plausible reason for them so they scooped up half the cast and repurposed them but gave no explanation for it.

I don't feel like the movie is just sequel-bait that intentionally doesn't explain anything but the first half is extremely under/poorly explained given the otherwise massive random changes it makes. But it is not well written and even after some of the stuff is explained the choices seem roundly bad.

Anno not wanting to control the entire series and make it all a high budget metaphor for his own personal issues is fine I guess but that specific purpose is why the original series is so fantastic. Seeing Evangelion take in influence from lesser series that it inspired itself just feels like a cheap recursion and watering down of the original.
May 26, 2022 3:03 PM
Aug 2016
Finished watching it just now. I must say, I am kind of confused what to say. It was alright, I'll probably rate it around 7.9-8.0. I do like how the story is progressing in a different direction, but some parts are kind of confusing. I know that Third Impact did happen, but I fail to understand why entire blame is being shifted to Shinji when Kaoru was the one who thrusted the spear on Shinji at the end of 2.0? Like, wtf!

Also, main highlight or plus point of 3.0 was Kaoru. His interactions with Shinji were the best in the movie. Very wholesome, mature, and likeable. It's a shame he died because of Shinji's poor decisions of removing the spears. A bit of a let down compared to 1.0 and 2.0. Let's see what the long awaited finale has to offer. Hopefully, it can bolster the story and weave the good ending.

8.0/10
Jul 3, 2022 12:27 AM
Nov 2020
see I was really rooting for Shinji but towards the end of the movie, it's kinda annoying how he doesn't listen to the other's. not even Kowaru like there is a reason why even Kowaru said 'don't do it' so WHY WONT HE FREAKING LISTEN UGH.
Jul 12, 2022 7:25 AM

Feb 2021
I see a lot of people not liking this alternate timeline route but this was actually a really fascinating thing for me. This new future where everything is divided and in a mess after the 3rd Impact has a really dark and dystopian feel to it. The people we knew have become quite grim and gritty. Almost all of them have a new look and feel to them. No one was initially saying much and we felt just as lost & out of touch as Shinji. There's a certain mysterious aura. Loved that aspect of this movie.

Damn, 14 yrs have passed since he saved Ayanami?? I wonder what the 'Curse of Eva' is. They never really discussed it.

I'm still not sure how and what Mari is doing here lol. As far as I remember, she was from another NERV facility and used to pilot Eva Unit 05.

Fuyutsuki finally breaks it all down and reveals crucial info to Shinji. Mainly about Yui and Ayanami. If the actual Ayanami, Shinji knew is also 'merged' with the core of Unit 01, then the one who we saw until then was another one of her clones huh?

Poor Shinji was overwhelmed by the info about Ayanami and the Third Impact. Dude looks so worn out and delusional. At least he got more time with Kaworu.

Unit 13 looks awfully similar to Unit 01 except, it looks a bit upgraded. But ngl, it looks way more menacing. Especially when Shinji took over and it 'awakened'

We finally got an actual Shinji vs Asuka lol. He was lucky she didn't pull out her Beast Mode on him.

Bruh when everyone was asking Shinji to not pull the spears (even Kaworu) he didn't even try to listen to them and then when the 4th impact is beginning, he questions if he was the one who did it. I know he's just a troubled kid with too much on his hands but damn, he can be annoying sometimes.

RIP Kaworu. He was a cool guy (or angel if that's what you wanna call him)

At least the 4th Impact was averted. Asuka was the MVP.

Really liked this movie! Even though there were some unexplained/unanswered things this movie was just amazing. Loved the concept and execution. The animation was a feast (I mean obviously Eva's movie-level production will be great)

Overall, highly recommended if you have finished the main series already. Rebuild of Eva movies get too much hate IMO.

Sakura Nagashi playing in the ED was a total bliss fr

8/10 for me.

Jul 18, 2022 7:55 PM

Jan 2020
Time skips. Changing sides. We've fully reimagined things now.

The first 30 minutes of this movie were the fastest 30 minutes of my life. What's crazy is that it felt like it so much was happening while simultaneously nothing really was. In a way I suppose it's successful in that it helped me connect a little more with Shinji, as, just like him, I barely knew what the heck was going on throughout the film. If the goal was to put the audience in Shinji's headspace, I'd say it worked.

Other than that, the movie, as a whole, feels mostly empty. Which, again, I guess is the point? Wherein the first two movies were vibrant, full of life, and filled with character interactions, this one is much more focused on isolation. After the (success?) of the Third Impact it's hard to say how many people are even alive now. Even NERV appeared to be all of Gendou and the other dude. So there just wasn't much that could be done from scene-to-scene. Though, it certainly would've helped if someone clued Shinji in on just about anything going on.

Compared to the first two, I wasn't all that impressed with the fights. The art and animation were still topnotch, I think the environments and backgrounds in this might've been some of the best of the franchise, so far. But, we only got, essentially, a little bit of sparring between Evas. And, for as imposing as the threat of the Fourth Impact was, nothing really came out of it. I felt like the fighting did a lot of the heavy lifting for the previous films, so without that in this one, it just wasn't quite as engaging or exciting.

Overall, I just didn't feel nearly as moved by 3.33. I would be hard-pressed to say I'm hyped for 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon A Time. Ironically I was probably more excited for it when I first went into 1.11. Now I'm mostly just sort of unsure how to feel about things. I can't say I care about what's going to happen to Shinji and co., and I don't even know what I'd want to see to essentially feel like I got a satisfying conclusion. It's a very strange position to be in.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Aug 19, 2022 10:53 AM
Aug 2022
The overall series is so well made its incredible
Aug 21, 2022 2:22 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Okay, I was expecting some serious drop in quality when I saw the score, but honestly, I feel as though this movie was pretty good in its own right. Definitely a bit of a drop, however.

First things first, it was amazing to see things from Shinji's perspective in this movie. Being offline for 14 years and then suddenly seeing everyone act like a prick is obviously not of any help and I totally empathise with his feeling to fix things right and regain everyone's trust. There's this one scene in particular where they illustrate his mental state after seeing the effects of the third impact which was just outstanding, really. In addition, there was the amazing animation quality, action choreography, climax (fourth impact buildup) and sound quality which made this experience to remember. Another scene I really appreciated was Fuyutsuki-san and Shinji's conversation. Also, that photo! Mari? Can't be though. Clone? Family?

On the flip side, there's the character side of things that aggravated many and myself. I'm sure it must've been difficult to confront Shinji given everything that transpired some 14 yrs ago but the fact that they didn't even bother saying absolutely anything irks me so much. Of course, there was nothing to expect from Ikari-san, to begin with, but for everyone to follow suit like that? No wonder why he was pushed to the limit and couldn't listen to the cries before pulling out the spears. I know a lot of it was probably to build up tension and whatnot for the next film, but the experience was certainly hampered because of this.

Now, there're a lot of questions that'll need to be answered in the following conclusion movie. What is the deal with the spears? How does being duplicated make a difference and where's the one Kawaru was looking for then? What exactly happened during the interval between the near-impact and the eventual third impact? All of the supporting characters survived, after all. What happened to Touji? Reference to Touji's name on the shirt that happened to be too big on Shinji. What happened in the 14 years? Dual seat required for Unit 13 so did Nerv experiment with a few people, like Touji for example? And there's still a bunch more...

Going to settle with an 8/10 for this. Thankfully, the next movie is 2.5+ hours in length but I doubt everything will be covered even then, lol. Despite that, I'm hoping they at least cover some of this to make the story coherent and understandable.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 16, 2022 8:02 PM

Nov 2017
They made my boy Shinji into a twink with that choker. Not fair. He was meant for finer things than piano playing like a ditz and asking his man what's next.

Hope he finds 'love' in the next movie. Guess it took ten years!

Don't worry Shinji, Asuka will pound your face in and show you the way.
Sep 28, 2022 3:11 PM
Apr 2018
gadgdsdgsdgsdgsdg
Oct 20, 2022 2:49 AM

Jul 2019
I'm not against how the story turned out, thought its interesting take on the original plot but this movie is just not it. The first 25 minutes was so hard to watch for production reasons. And yeah you have to have watched the original series to get at least 40% of what's going on here.
Nov 20, 2022 8:14 AM

Aug 2022
What the fuck did I just watch?

So this movie was completly different than the OG anime and honestly I don't really like the direction in which it's going.
Nov 21, 2022 11:28 PM
Jan 2022
Can't lie, the Shinji and Kaworu dynamic carried this movie HARD.
Dec 11, 2022 1:08 AM

Aug 2020
what in the fuck???

does hideaki anno even know what hes doing

i dont think its a bad movie i think were just too small brain for this shit bro
Dec 11, 2022 3:29 AM

Jan 2010
I recall when the third Rebuild film came out, it was pretty divisive, although out of context I didn't know why. Well, now I know.

This film is a great departure from anything in the main TV series, and even the previous films. Debatably, the state of Earth here is worse than End of Evangelion, but I suppose there are more characters alive here, for what it's worth. I spent a good 50 minutes utterly confused, wondering why the film's writers apparently have a hate boner for Shinji. It makes me recall Earth Maiden Arjuna, where the main character is given constant crap for things they were told to do without any explanation for why they're being given crap. I'm also reminded of Space Runaway Ideon, where it feels like humanity decided they wanted to speedrun extinction out of pettiness and an unwillingness to de-escalate violence.

In the beginning of the film, why was Shinji taken into the bridge only to be told to do nothing? Why was everyone doing their best to ignore him, despite bringing him onboard in the first place? Why, after threatening his life and giving no explanations, did Misato expect Shinji to go along with anything she said? In the previous film, why did Misato encourage Shinji to seize his ambitions and commit to saving Rei, but owe up no responsibility for inadvertently causing Third Impact? Her character is completely different, and she's expressed no emotions sans disdain, recklessness, and I suppose a hint of regret when she didn't immediately kill Shinji when he escaped initially.

Who the hell is running NERV's facilities currently? Who's running the manufacturing plant? Who's making the food? Where is this seemingly inexhaustible supply of school uniforms coming from? How the hell did Misato jerry-rig an aerial fleet or a flying base? What the hell is this "curse" that makes EVA pilots eternally young? Fourteen years have passed? With the rate the Angels were attacking during the main series and the previous two films, how has humanity survived complete extinction for that long? I feel like I'd have more questions, but it'd require knowing what the hell happened to begin with.

I'm amused at Kaworu's existence in the franchise. He's the only person (?) who has shown Shinji unconditional care, and so Shinji completely trusts him and is willing to undergo hell for him. It feels like had anybody else in the cast expressed even a fraction of that, Shinji would have followed them to hell and back as well. Seems like Shinji keeps screwing up because no one's willing to explain anything to him, much less empathize nor console him. At some point, it feels like had Shinji never piloted an EVA, the world would have been better for it. At least, the world would have been nuked only once instead of twice.

With the WILLE ship, I'm uncertain how to feel about it. It seems like the third Evangelion film somehow mashed together Evangelion, Diebuster, and attempted to one-up End of Eva by going for a 4th global nuke. I liked how Ritsuko at the end of the film needed to highlight that WILLE technically won, and how Gendo needed to state how everything was still going according to plan. At least, the characters apparently know what's happening, and I liked how that needed to be explained to the audience. Yes, the characters are in fact winning, but damn if I still don't know what they won, how they won, why they won, or for what reason they're even fighting anymore. We're at the stage where humanity is its own worst enemy, although that may have been the case from the start.

I can't say I enjoyed this film, but I can't say I completely understood what happened enough to say I disliked it. The film just feels like a Shinji trauma fest. Seriously, what does anybody in the cast even want from Shinji anymore? He's a tool for everyone's own purposes, and he's constantly guilt tripped, coerced, bullied, or forced into committing sin after apparent sin, and is then lambasted for following orders. He's told to listen to his own heart and make decisions on his own, but his decisions are either run away and get scored at, or to decide to follow the decisions given to him by others. He can't willingly and earnestly pilot an EVA when everyone else is forcing him to do so, and he can't back out without somebody coming along and ridiculing him for it. He's an honest to goodness tool, and people are both using him as a tool while insulting him for acting like a tool. I think that's my greatest frustration with the series, come to think of it. No one explains anything, and then they lash out at Shinji for not knowing any better. It's just unreasonable, endless suffering without due cause. Shinji's just a magnet for everyone's insecurities, stress, trauma, anxieties, and festering hatred. Perhaps this is an arduous journey for Shinji to literally rebuild the Earth, fixing the mistakes of the show's adults. Perhaps this is supposed to be some form of therapy for the film's creators, where they're letting loose decades of real life suffering by using Shinji as a martyr for their hardships. Or, perhaps they just really wanted to screw the Earth sideways in the flashiest, bloodiest way possible.

If there was a deeper meaning to the film, it's somewhat lost on me. It just felt like the film was undergoing glorified self-immolation.
Jan 24, 2023 7:11 PM
Jan 2023
what happened here?
Mar 30, 2023 8:40 AM
Jan 2017
slow paced nearly killed it
Apr 18, 2023 9:50 PM

May 2018
After re-watching this I feel that I like it a lot more, the movie doesn't do a very good job in explaining things but I think it manages to keep the nature of the series and expand its universe in a very interesting, intriguing and creative way. This alternate timeline, so to speak, gives a lot more depth to Shinji, and the way the movie represents intentions and desires and flesh out some of the most important concepts of Evangelion is very nice.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
May 3, 2023 6:33 PM
Jan 2019
Honestly, this is horrible. Waste of my time. Like you can pretty much skip everything but the first 5 minutes and last 10. Watch a 2 minute recap and move onto the next movie.

What were they thinking? Its just none-sense and I'm familiar with the entire Evangelion story line from the anime series.
Jul 24, 2023 12:00 AM
Oct 2021
It was interesting. However, despite whatever character motivations to hate Shinji all the others have, they aren't explained to him at all. They all say he's acting like a selfish child, but what other choice did he have other than to seek solace in the familiar and those around him that, at the very least, had some want for him. He was acting out of complete blindness after the Third Impact, he was entirely disoriented and there was no attempt to explain anything to him (why NERV was bad, what happened in the 14 year span, etc.) that could have persuaded him to stay and help in any way. Instead he was treated like a leper, which later resulted in an even larger problem, as he was unknowingly persuaded into almost starting the 4th Impact. Frustrating to say the least, but it was a fun watch.
Aug 1, 2023 7:35 AM

Mar 2014
i kinda liked this movie, but the action scenes are so boring and bad
Aug 2, 2023 5:58 AM

Feb 2018
This is the worst movie I ever seen, i mean what? Shinji doesnt remember anything after that... and 14 yo time skip? Asuka still young? no way bro... another idiot Shinji act in the last
Aug 29, 2023 6:03 PM
May 2022
I just want to come off by saying I am deathly afraid of Evangelion.
Hard as it is to believe, I have animephobia. 
I am currently looking for someone to help me overcome my fear of Evangelion, my fear of anime. 
If you want to know why, please read the following. It is a detailed essay detailing my traumatic experience from the Evangelion fandom during Lockdown. 
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12E5xdOOtUa4Nlh1OizVapCHn6St9olV0PUi1LV6Dm_U/edit?usp=sharing
Sep 25, 2023 9:33 PM

Mar 2016
I went into this with open-minded as we were now in completely original territory from NGE. After watching the series as well I also made sure to just roll with the plot goins, not question too much and if anything is not answered, it would either be answered in the next film or just be left to the viewer.

Plot-wise, I feel it would've worked a lot better if we'd actually some more people at NERV (seriously, how was that entire new system for Unit-13's construction mmade with just 4 people?!) and an extended explanation of what happened in the 14 years timeskip. From what happened at the end of 2.0 and the synopsis for 3.0, I was expecting a desolate wasteland. However, the crater that was definitely teeth and all those evangelion-looking husks come completely out of left-field. Kaworu says it was NERV, but it's had to fathom them managing that with what little man-power they would've had or even what the purpose served since Gendou seemed all set on Unit-13.

My main gripe with the film is that just about every character decided to be a fucking arsehole for no reason. Misato, Asuka, and the rest of WILLE pretty much allowed the film's entire sequence of events to happen because they treated Shinji like he intentionally awoke Unit-01 and caused the Near Third Impact. If they'd just kept him under watch and given him the full rundown rather than rejecting him like a criminal, then he wouldn't of fled. In the situation he was in with how he was being treated I didn't blame him for ditching WILLE.

The biggest fuck up with characters I feel though, is Asuka. Re:Build 2.0 did such a good job on streamlining and improving on her characterisation over NGE. Still the cocky tsundere, but without the overly pointless anger and ranting. She actually talked to both Shinji and Rei in trying to properly understand and work with them. But suddenly free from the lockup she was under and a 14 timeskip...the now 28 year old Asuka has matured as much as her body has aged i.e. none. In fact she's even regressed and we're back to bullshit NGE Asuka being an utter piece of shit to Shinji. Even in the central dogma fight, she didn't even try to convince Shinji to back down and went straight to kill mode.

So we went from Shinji being burdened with the results of events that he had no way of knowing his actions would result in...back to being an impatient idiot who refused to listen to his new bff's concerns and actually did fuck up properly this time. Poor guy can't get a damn break from more ptsd, and the only person so far who's been willing to support him is gone =_=
Nov 7, 2023 11:56 AM

Nov 2014
One of the most staggeringly imbecilic things ever created by mankind. I was cringing on behalf of the voice actors who were tasked with imbuing this diarrhea with some semblance of dignity. I understand that creators can lose their touch with the passage of time, but how could Anno and everyone else involved in this project who worked on the original Eva not at least understand what an atrocity this is? How is t possible to fall so far?
Nov 28, 2023 5:12 PM
Nov 2023
it was confusing ,but really enjoyable
Jan 20, 7:38 PM

Dec 2022
weird movie man, just plain odd. the complete change in tone is understandable given the situation but man pretty strange. have mostly given up on Shinji ever being anything but a total fuckin loser but looking forward to seeing Asuka and superbabe Mari in the next one. and of course beautiful Misato who aged like finest wine =]
Apr 7, 8:45 PM

May 2015
Oh my. It was entertaining enough, as your average shounen action with ~mysterious mystery~. But apart from that, and aside from Eva as a whole, it was average.

I do think it had potential at first as a separate story, as an alternative version, I don't mind another look on things, considering the original lore allows for that. But it simply wasn't nearly on the level of anything good or interesting. Shinji is very confused the whole time, so is the viewer and maybe it is the point. This doesn't make it anything better though.

In all honesty, take away the phycological depth from Eva and it's going to be quite a shallow story. Which is exactly what they did. Even in original, the whole big PLAN of those sound-only dudes was the worst part for me, and here we have it emphasized tenfold, or at least everything revolves around it. All the characters are side lined, their inner workings, development, trauma, we don't know anything about them. They are just acting out the narrative. Only Shinji is depressed as if by inertia, and it's understandable.

Thanks for the fanservice, I guess, I enjoyed the piano scenes and all that.

They said something about hope, so now I hope the next movie will make more sense.
Pages (16) « First ... « 14 15 [16]

More topics from this board

» I am Deathly Afraid of Evangelion

DoctorOddball - Aug 29, 2023

2 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:10 PM

» How do you feel about Shinji??

SwagDemonMan - Oct 15, 2014

24 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:06 PM

» Evangelion 3.0 explained (attempt to) [SPOILER]

GuidSMR - Apr 18, 2023

5 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:05 PM

» So is Evangelion 3.0 really that bad? ( 1 2 )

DeusAnima - Oct 6, 2013

76 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:02 PM

» Should I rewatch Evangelion before watching this

Vai03 - Jun 27, 2022

19 by Vai03 »»
Jun 30, 2022 9:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.