Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 17, 2012 7:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Dem aerial fights and Yuki Kajiura music. Lol @ Kirito having to use Lyfa's weapon as well without her consent. Well, at least Kirito kicked his fairy ass. *bro fist*

I found that fight alright since it's been awhile since he used a dual sword technique (probably first time in ALO). I also see Lyfa's jealousy this episode..that silly girl tbh. Just like that? Asuna is going to make her escape. I wonder how successful this will be
Stark700Nov 17, 2012 2:43 PM
Nov 17, 2012 7:24 AM

Nov 2007
Escaping successfully and continuing with the travel.

Wow, the boss of Salamander's sword has both defense and attack functions. Yay, release of double sword skill again. His voice, is he by Inada-san? That priestess-like girl (Sakuya?) sounds like Hikasa-san.

So that guy became spy because he wanted to be Salamander when the game got updated? Wow, two more girls adding to Kirito's harem is lol! lol @ Kirito not seeing Lyfa as a girl. I'm not sure if I heard correctly, but I heard Nobu's voice in one of the sylph (?) group.

Asuna, since seeing the password last time, she escaped and is starting to act!

Not sure why I didn't see those names I mentioned in the ED credit. I was totally wrong??
tsubasaloverNov 17, 2012 8:38 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 17, 2012 7:44 AM

Oct 2010
A rather strong episode in terms of balance IMO. Fight wise, service wise and development wise. MOST IMPRESSIVE! That much a yell it should deserve.

About the fight, I will just mention the following,

DUAL PIERCING SHINING BLADES! Yeah I called it! That was one kick ass stab!

About the fan service, well looks the LN people were right. Let’s see. Breast show off in armour of both leaders whom the big breasted bimbo was attractive however I prefer the Caith Sith cause of her between legs just saying that looks nicer than the long robe of that other one.

Now seems the antics of Suguha’s ass were quite exposed during that certain part.

They did quite the good job on:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb480/Yumekichi11/Picture%2038/1353165331345_zpse6fd5e65.jpg
With that SOB person and them harem girls.

Rest of the thoughts to follow in the club as usual.

BTW End art in the spoiler
anyone notice there the PIG from Accel World being all jealous and butt hurt over how Asuna x Kirito are? Man there should be some amazing Haruyuki x Hime damn it! COUPLE FIGHTS!
Just saying Asuna/Kirito would lose in Accel World.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Nov 17, 2012 8:30 AM
Oct 2012
This episodes encapsulates everything I have disliked about this animation adaptation.

First, the animation has taken away all the humor from the light novels (the Salamander response to Kirito's victory, Kagemune's role).

Second, once again its gets the emotions wrong (Lyfa's all too casual landing and talking to Fairy Leader, Kirito's response to Eugene (he doesn't get mad, he maintains dry wit through the battle), the Cat Sith and Fairy leaders reaction to the battle, they are extremely cool customers, not cheerleaders).

Third, the drawings are flat (this should have been a splurge episode, but a lot of the scenes looked extremely two dimensional).
Third, part two, the face's lack of emotions is really evident this episode. It is like they only have 2 or 3 stock expressions: Neutral, mad, and other.

Fourth, the writing sucks, the dialog is taken directly from the novel without even attempting to translate the descriptions which would make it easier for people who haven't read the LN (the whole Undine-Spriggan alliance bit - if one hadn't read the LN, would anyone understand why everyone reacted as they did?)

I understand about budgets and whatnot, but one can tell when the animating team cares and when they really don't, and it is all too obvious that the SAO adapters don't care about the animation, they just showed up to work. This is what is ultimately so disappointing about this animation.
Nov 17, 2012 8:35 AM

Nov 2007
Yumekichi11 said:

I didn't notice Haru there from where I watched!! lol~
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 17, 2012 8:36 AM

Nov 2011
Crossover. Yup, it usually debuts after the credits. I'm not surprised though.
Nov 17, 2012 8:37 AM
Oct 2012
Yumekichi11 said:

When Kirito fought Haruyuki it was a tie :-)
Nov 17, 2012 8:48 AM

Feb 2009
Gram looks so...plain. I thought it would be, I dunno, as big as Kirito's sword.
The fight was pretty good I guess. Decent enough, though I know people won't be satisfied enough with this. I am though.
That part where Kirito grabbed Leafa's sword was surprisingly well-animated, all up to the boobs bouncing. Plus all them closeups on Sakuya and Alicia. Them priorities...and all the talk this will bring later in here
So, Sigurd is exiled, alliance formed, they got a ton of cash from Kirito and Asuna makes her escape. Good I guess.

Lol at Haruyuki in the end card.
Nov 17, 2012 8:53 AM

Aug 2009
I havent watched it but is this pic true?
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb480/Yumekichi11/Picture%2038/1353165331345_zpse6fd5e65.jpg

If yes,then they try pretty hard to make Sigurd even more of a "fail villain" than he is.What's with the harem girls and the rest of his servants?They should have used the time that was wasted for that scene in everything else according to Takuan_Soho's post.
Nov 17, 2012 8:58 AM

Oct 2010
belatkuro said:
Plus all them closeups on Sakuya and Alicia.
Actually when you look at both of them in the following,

it appeals to all male genders in general. Choose big breasted female or girl with firm female privates/small breasts if you can imagine some of that then you have a perfect mixture of your choosing.

Obviously I go with Alicia for obvious chest size reasons.

In general that scroll is the best. The breasts stuff of both girls is too cliche. Scrolls to show both assets are best balanced.

In general the fan service was once again not too much and comedy mixed so I think it's a fair balance.
tsubasalover said:
Yumekichi11 said:
I didn't notice Haru there from where I watched!! lol~
Yeah he is there aright. Needs CHIBI HIME! PLEASE! Too bad it did not happen.

Nov 17, 2012 9:04 AM

Nov 2011
belatkuro said:
That part where Kirito grabbed Leafa's sword was surprisingly well-animated, all up to the boobs bouncing. Plus all them closeups on Sakuya and Alicia. Them priorities..

I have a slight confusion with her name. Is it commonly written as Leafa or Lyfa from the official series? (as in anime)
Nov 17, 2012 9:07 AM

Aug 2009
Stark700 said:
belatkuro said:
That part where Kirito grabbed Leafa's sword was surprisingly well-animated, all up to the boobs bouncing. Plus all them closeups on Sakuya and Alicia. Them priorities..

I have a slight confusion with her name. Is it commonly written as Leafa or Lyfa from the official series? (as in anime)

Lyfa was in the fan translations and Leafa in the -official-anime.And it isnt the only name that was changed.Some LN readers,like me, still use the names form the Baka Tsuki translation.
Nov 17, 2012 9:09 AM

Feb 2009
Stark700 said:
I have a slight confusion with her name. Is it written as Leafa or Lyfa from the official series? (as in anime)
Her name is written as リーファ which is pronounced Riifaa. Fan translations(B-T) translated it as Lyfa. The anime showed at one time "Leafa" while last episode they showed it as Leefa. They're pretty inconsistent.
However, I think the correct one is Leafa since the second Kanji in Suguha's name(直葉) means leaf.
Nov 17, 2012 9:10 AM

Nov 2011
ssjokg said:
Lyfa was in the fan translations and Leafa in the -official-anime.And it isnt the only name that was changed.Some LN readers,like me, still use the names form the Baka Tsuki translation.

belatkuro said:
Stark700 said:
I have a slight confusion with her name. Is it written as Leafa or Lyfa from the official series? (as in anime)
Her name is written as リーファ which is pronounced Riifaa. Fan translations(B-T) translated it as Lyfa. The anime showed at one time "Leafa" while last episode they showed it as Leefa. They're pretty inconsistent.
However, I think the correct one is Leafa since the second Kanji in Suguha's name(直葉) means leaf.

Hmm, interesting. Alright got it, thanks.
Nov 17, 2012 9:10 AM

Aug 2009
belatkuro said:
Stark700 said:

Lets not start about how good the studio is with the English alphabet...
Nov 17, 2012 9:39 AM
Oct 2012
ssjokg said:
I havent watched it but is this pic true?

If yes,then they try pretty hard to make Sigurd even more of a "fail villain" than he is.What's with the harem girls and the rest of his servants?They should have used the time that was wasted for that scene in everything else according to Takuan_Soho's post.

Yep, its true, and yes that for me crossed a line (wasn't going to bring it up because I wanted to focus on the purely technical faults of this animation, but now that you mentioned it).

I get the need for fanservice. It's a bit annoying, but economics requires it. But I draw a line when the staff invents scenes to have some. And this scene in particular is particularly indefensible. I have defended this animation from charges of sexism before, but what was that scene if not sexist? This isn't Gor or some world where the woman are conditioned to act this way, they aren't even NPCs. Characters in AOL are real people. So what they are saying is that real woman want to sprawl over stairs in order to gratify the ego of a male character. That is blatant, cynical manipulation on the part of the animation staff and another example of how much this adaptation (not the source material) sucks and how little respect they hold for the audience.
Nov 17, 2012 9:43 AM

Feb 2008
In the preview episode I saw her name were Leefa, about a game I do think Leafa is pretty common.
Like most Japanaese can't spell it correct.
I dunno which one is the correct one but I do actually think Leefa is the correct one lol.

When Kirito are using duel blade he is undefeatable, guess he don't got the fastest reaction speed at SAO for nothing.
Now I really want to see the GGO arc when Kirito slice the bullet and learn a new non-system skills.

I feel like this episode were kind of fast xD

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Nov 17, 2012 9:44 AM

May 2011
Inb4 another sexist debate
Nov 17, 2012 9:44 AM

Feb 2009
They could be NPCs you know.
Nov 17, 2012 9:46 AM

Jan 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
This episodes encapsulates everything I have disliked about this animation adaptation.

yep u've summed up everything I've wanted to said about this episode. I don't expect them to have ufotable level quality (it's pretty obvious no one matches up to ufotable) but I would have expected an increase in quality over the usual slice-of-life at the very least.

Being a LN reader I was hoping that the adaptation could redeem itself with this action-oriented episode but again it fell short. It seems like now that Asuna is out of the picture at the moment, they are trying their best to milk lyfa. They should have spent less time trying to provide fan service at every damn possible moment (what with all dat ass and breasts shots) and more on the action scenes where the flying looks awkward and action choreography is replaced with spamming flashes of lights.
Nov 17, 2012 9:52 AM

Dec 2010
Its to expected that disappointment is seen when one compares the LN to the anime, as the anime is filled will flaws, but that said people shouldn't let things like disappointment delude how bad something really is, just as one shouldn't let excitement or in the moment thoughts let someone think something is better than something really is. But of course to expect this from people may even be more unreasonable of an expectation than the deluded expectations that people had for SAO as if expecting LN adaptions to suddenly incorporate everything just because they wanted it so. People should realize tho that as bad as SAO can be in comparison there are LN adaptions which have done way way worse, and people make comments on how they never expected ufotable animation yet they still complain over every detail that is shown in many anime yet just gets highlighted in SAO, if you can't have reasonable expectations at least stay consistent in your criticism.
Nov 17, 2012 10:19 AM

Aug 2009
halberdiers said:
Takuan_Soho said:

yep u've summed up everything I've wanted to said about this episode. I don't expect them to have ufotable level quality (it's pretty obvious no one matches up to ufotable) but I would have expected an increase in quality over the usual slice-of-life at the very least.

Being a LN reader I was hoping that the adaptation could redeem itself with this action-oriented episode but again it fell short. It seems like now that Asuna is out of the picture at the moment, they are trying their best to milk lyfa. They should have spent less time trying to provide fan service at every damn possible moment (what with all dat ass and breasts shots) and more on the action scenes where the flying looks awkward and action choreography is replaced with spamming flashes of lights.

InfiniteDestiny said:
The beginning of the fight was good(not as good as it should be though)but when Kirito started using Lyfa's sword(it's not exactly the Dual skill from SAO)the animation just went from mediocre to very very very bad.
It has nothing to do about SAO anime being a fail adaptation.They dont even try for the animation anymore.
If someone makes sexist comments for this scene I wont defend it at all.Sigurd's plan was good and his only problem was a cheater that came out of nowhere.Unlike Sugou that sucks in almost everything he does.

belatkuro said:
They could be NPCs you know.

I doubt the studio thought that far.At least it was just them fantasizing about Sigurd.I watched it without subs so correct me if I am wrong.

Why didnt they include this?
Talking about Yui...
Not that it would make the anime better but it was quite funny in the LN.

Haru is pretty random in the end.With all the theories about Hime being their daughter I wonder why they chose him from AW.

Mod Edit: Please use spoiler tags for large images.
LunaNov 17, 2012 10:31 AM
Nov 17, 2012 10:27 AM

Jul 2010
fans will remain fans. haters will hate more. opinions here will remain more subjective.

and my subjective opinion will state that SAO is just a fan catering anime adaptation clearly made to milk some money, incorporate unnecessary fan bait elements (fan service) and clearly sell off the characters (especially the females)

there is no passion whatsoever i can feel in creating it, you really can't feel they're playing a game, its just like a backdraft, a soap opera dressed with online elements

but for entertainment its ok, just ok

question:
how come such high noted LNs get this dumbfounded treatment from the industry? or am i just being delusional and idealistic that i'm the only one feeling the same way
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Nov 17, 2012 10:31 AM

Aug 2009
AmberFebruary said:

question:
how come such high noted LNs get this dumbfounded treatment from the industry? or am i just being delusional and idealistic that i'm the only one feeling the same way

Nope you arent.And I have seen worse things(because no way in hell those things were adaptations) than SAO's adaptation for better LNs/VNs than SAO.
Nov 17, 2012 10:34 AM

Oct 2010
ssjokg said:
Talking about Yui...
They did but instead emphasized more on the breasts and service. Comedy got taken out in thee end.

Nov 17, 2012 10:37 AM

Aug 2009
Yumekichi11 said:
ssjokg said:
Talking about Yui...
They did but instead emphasized more on the breasts and service. Comedy got taken out in thee end.
Then for me that wasnt the same scene.
Nov 17, 2012 11:10 AM

Oct 2010
ssjokg said:
Yumekichi11 said:
ssjokg said:
Talking about Yui...
Then for me that wasnt the same scene.
Sadly it was not and for that matter many others from the LN. In thee end good sacrifices are done for the end of making more money. Cause sex sells. A true sad tale that I wish would change but so far nothing of it changed really over these years with anime.

Nov 17, 2012 11:12 AM

Jul 2010
Kirito always the ladies man and making Leafa jealous in the process.

It seems to good to be true that Asuna will escape without any issues but then again, Sugou's oversight is what allowed Asuna to escape in the first place.
Nov 17, 2012 11:23 AM

Nov 2008
As soon as Yui gives her report to Azuna, she will kill Kirito! lol I wander how many girls will eventually join his harem?

Now that she is free, what will she do?
Nov 17, 2012 11:38 AM
Sep 2012
I had high hope about watching that fight but now I feel really trolled. Just like that skeleton boss back in the SAO arc, this fight started out really good and ended very quickly. What is it with SAO that it has to end good fights? That fight only lasted, about 10 mins. while the rest was talking and having fun. I WANT SOME ACTION! Is it really something so hard to ask from a show with sword fighting and magic?

LOL @ Kirito's harem increasing. It was obvious that he'd get more women to fall for him even before the episode began and oohh... Asusna's jealous and Kirito doesn't think of her a a girl. lol

Looks like Asuna's finally out. At least she's not helpless anymore.

Yumekichi11 said:
BTW End art in the spoiler
anyone notice there the PIG from Accel World being all jealous and butt hurt over how Asuna x Kirito are? Man there should be some amazing Haruyuki x Hime damn it! COUPLE FIGHTS!
LOL @ Haru
IconicNov 17, 2012 11:52 AM
Nov 17, 2012 11:41 AM

Sep 2012
That fight scene was really really really well animated. Man. It's been a while since an ep. like this one.
Nov 17, 2012 11:42 AM

May 2009

What a nice animation.
Nov 17, 2012 11:48 AM
Sep 2012
bastek66 said:

What a nice animation.
My eyes could be tricking me, but it looks like Suguha isn't wearing any panties.

You've been a very naughty girl Suguha:O
Nov 17, 2012 11:49 AM

Dec 2011
Another great episode! Kirito showed some skills yet again and Asuna broke out! Can't wait for next week :)

Nov 17, 2012 11:50 AM

Sep 2012
That fight... That GIF ^
Nov 17, 2012 11:55 AM

Aug 2009
AiCon said:

LOL @ Kirito's harem increasing. It was obvious that he'd get more women to fall for him even before the episode began and oohh... Asusna's jealous and Kirito doesn't think of her a a girl. lol

They just did what Heathcliff so many eps before=Trying to add him to their forces.It's just that instead of duel etc their plan was seduction.No harem here.
Nov 17, 2012 11:56 AM

May 2012
awsome fight..wew.. lots of babes :)
suguha is wearing T-back lol..
Dark_MessiahNov 17, 2012 12:10 PM

Nov 17, 2012 12:15 PM

Mar 2012
i liked how Kirito still has the dual sword skill and defeated the "strongest player"

I wonder if Asuna was meant to escape or did she accomplish it without Oberon finding out.

I can't wait for the next ep. Sword art online is getting better and better:)
Nov 17, 2012 12:18 PM

Sep 2008
I've said it on another discussion and I'll say it again in this one: the director needs to stop milking fanservice and actually read the damn LN to see what made it good. Yes there was fanservice in the LN but it was never to this extent. It's like they just randomly sought out some random otaku at Akihabara and gave him the position of Director.

A1: "Hey you, fat boy, I always see you around here buying lots of loli figures. Have you read this LN?"(shows him SAO LN)
Fat Otaku:(while breathing heavily after seeing a loli pic in LN) "He he he, yeah I've read SAO. I really like how the author thinks like a gamer and brings it to our level with them girls, and the black swordsman, and them girls, and the death game and them girls."
A1: "Well seeing as we see you here buying all them goods nearly everyday, if we made an anime of SAO would you and your friends buy the DVD/BD?
Fat Otaku: (now breathing really heavy like his life depended on it) "Wow, really? Yeah i would buy the figurines of Silica, and Yui and I'd even buy Suguha because I think she's under 16!! I'd even tell my mates about!"
A1: (makes a phone call on their mobile) "Kawahara-san, congratulations! We've just found your director for your anime adaptations."
Nov 17, 2012 12:19 PM
Jan 2012
what a horrible action scene and a wonderful fight :D
finally Asuna go out , the battle will start right now
Nov 17, 2012 12:19 PM

Apr 2011
Another solid episode if not a great one and the current season is in the right direction, but it's still a long way from the Aincrad arc. The fight scene was exciting and cool showing that Kirito is a bad-ass. Kirito is a ladies man when the two girl are attracted to him. The downside, the episode plot is a bit rushed and there's not enough Yui.

Finally,
"It's called being awesome"
Nov 17, 2012 12:22 PM

Aug 2009
Scrypt said:
I've said it on another discussion and I'll say it again in this one: the director needs to stop milking fanservice and actually read the damn LN to see what made it good. Yes there was fanservice in the LN but it was never to this extent. It's like they just randomly sought out some random otaku at Akihabara and gave him the position of Director.

A1: "Hey you, fat boy, I always see you around here buying lots of loli figures. Have you read this LN?"(shows him SAO LN)
Fat Otaku:(while breathing heavily after seeing a loli pic in LN) "He he he, yeah I've read SAO. I really like how the author thinks like a gamer and brings it to our level with them girls, and the black swordsman, and them girls, and the death game and them girls."
A1: "Well seeing as we see you here buying all them goods nearly everyday, if we made an anime of SAO would you and your friends buy the DVD/BD?
Fat Otaku: (now breathing really heavy like his life depended on it) "Wow, really? Yeah i would buy the figurines of Silica, and Yui and I'd even buy Suguha because I think she's under 16!! I'd even tell my mates about!"
A1: (makes a phone call on their mobile) "Kawahara-san, congratulations! We've just found your director for your anime adaptations."
Anyone else read the "director's" lines with a fat otaku's voice?
ssjokgNov 17, 2012 12:26 PM
Nov 17, 2012 12:23 PM

Aug 2011
Poor Leafa got friendzoned. Or manzoned.
Nov 17, 2012 12:23 PM

Jun 2009
THANK GOD for Asuna getting out of the cage, I thought that moment would never come.

I have been like, really confused with the last few episodes even though I caught up with the LN and everything o_O
Nov 17, 2012 12:30 PM

Aug 2012
Enjoyed the episode, actually liked the action scene for the most part. Dang Asuna's hair got long.
Nov 17, 2012 12:33 PM

Sep 2008
ssjokg said:

lol...wow it's like you took that picture out of my head when I was writing that piece
Nov 17, 2012 12:38 PM

Aug 2009
Scrypt said:
ssjokg said:

lol...wow it's like you took that picture out of my head when I was writing that piece

It was worse in my head.With an anime char bandana on his head,several bags with loli posters,schoolbag,and the rest usual stuff...
Nov 17, 2012 12:39 PM

Aug 2008
It's all very good that your boss and a ladies man MC...but I have to ask...what does any of this have to do with saving your gf again? Especially when your on a time limit (though of course it'll help him in the end...but it's not like he knew that).

Obviously there isn't as much fanservice in the LN, because you can't see every action that's going on. But trust me, there would be xD (plus fanservice doesn't hurt anyone, so eh why not?)
hyperknees91Nov 17, 2012 12:43 PM
Nov 17, 2012 12:39 PM
Nov 2009
I liked this episode. Good action.

I dislike that everyone in the game is RP:ing like their life is on the line unlike SAO where they actually needed to "live" in the world.

I'd like to see a character in the series who for once doesn't take the VRMMORPG game any seriously and just plays it for fun. He/she would probably be the only good character in the series.

Oh well Asuna finally got out. But why did she wait untill morning instead of going out right after she knew the password to that gate?

The fan service was ok. Felt a little bit forced though. And it looked like Suguha/Leafa wasn't wearing any panties lol.
Nov 17, 2012 12:43 PM

Oct 2011
Epic battle, he used his 50 slash combo :D

Pages (13) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2012

705 by amf85 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2012

686 by amf85 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2012

745 by amf85 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.