MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide - with madVR (v1.2) (Read note on first post)
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Games, Computers & Tech Support »» Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide - with madVR (v1.2) (Read note on first post)

Pages (67) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
#1
11-10-12, 1:35 PM
Forum Moderator
Online
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2045
Attention: This guide will likely be outdated by the time you read this. See this post for why and where you can go from now on. You can still check for the latest version I released through the spoiler below.

Keep in mind the alternatives I'm mentioning here are what I believe works best as of the time I edited this post. If you're from the future and believe I can make a meaningful edit to include another option (or remove it) then you can post in the thread or contact me in PM.

KCP still is my top recommendation when quality playback and easy configuration is concerned. You'll get most of the options you would've gotten with this guide done automatically for you so most if any configuration will be done in madVR in majority of the cases. Check the link in the "Attention" part up there for some other guide recommendations.

mpv is another good alternative you have an old laptop or a low-end hardware that might not fit your needs in regards to madVR playback as it has easy set-up and very good quality output from the get go. It can play pretty much anything I've thrown at it (Core 2 Duo T6600 for reference) so as long as you don't go for 60fps or 4K playback on an old toaster, it should be the fine.

CCCP is not a bad alternative but updates itself relatively less frequently than KCP, and doesn't include madVR. However, trusty /a/nons believe this is a pro as the pack only includes more stable versions of its components. It's up to you, really.

Modified by Niyawa, 01-09-15, 10:49 AM

Read this: MAL Guidelines Use that: Report Abuse
 
#2
11-15-12, 5:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 53
why is this different than using K-lite or CCCP

 
#3
11-15-12, 5:05 PM
Forum Moderator
Online
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2045
EuTenhoBomGosto said:
why is this different than using K-lite or CCCP

More quality, performance and compatibility overall with some installation costs.

Read this: MAL Guidelines Use that: Report Abuse
 
#4
11-16-12, 1:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1175
I was using CCCP+MadVR. Just completely reinstalled though using this guide.

Atleast I think I got a noticeable gain in video quality, not much, but definitely noticeable. Although I am really not a fan of using reclock for audio output, I just couldn't stick with that.
 
#5
11-16-12, 3:33 PM
Forum Moderator
Online
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2045
Caze said:
I was using CCCP+MadVR. Just completely reinstalled though using this guide.

Atleast I think I got a noticeable gain in video quality, not much, but definitely noticeable. Although I am really not a fan of using reclock for audio output, I just couldn't stick with that.

Reclock is kinda contradictory because some people say it won't make any difference, but it does. Also, although it's an audio renderer, the main point of it is to adapt media to match the screen refresh rate.

The quality gain goes up to 5-30% (especially with upscales), but the performance is what speaks for itself. madVR is GPU oriented so it's easy to use CPU apps while watching an episode for example.

Read this: MAL Guidelines Use that: Report Abuse
 
#6
11-16-12, 7:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1175
Niyawa said:
Caze said:
I was using CCCP+MadVR. Just completely reinstalled though using this guide.

Atleast I think I got a noticeable gain in video quality, not much, but definitely noticeable. Although I am really not a fan of using reclock for audio output, I just couldn't stick with that.

Reclock is kinda contradictory because some people say it won't make any difference, but it does. Also, although it's an audio renderer, the main point of it is to adapt media to match the screen refresh rate.

The quality gain goes up to 5-30% (especially with upscales), but the performance is what speaks for itself. madVR is GPU oriented so it's easy to use CPU apps while watching an episode for example.


I guess I'll just stick with it then.

I just didn't like that I couldn't go to a different part of the video without it taking a noticeably long moment to load the audio and making a "click" sound.
 
#7
11-16-12, 8:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2644
I'm running a 64-bit system, shouldn't there be some sort of decoders to take advantage of that?

Currently using Shark 007 codecs for Win 7, with the x64 add-on codecs as well as CCCP. Always' worked great for me, not sure if your guide would help me much.
 
#8
11-16-12, 8:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3125
Jrittmayer said:
I'm running a 64-bit system, shouldn't there be some sort of decoders to take advantage of that?

Currently using Shark 007 codecs for Win 7, with the x64 add-on codecs as well as CCCP. Always' worked great for me, not sure if your guide would help me much.

You don't need 64-bit codecs, even in 64-bit Windows. MadVR doesn't support 64-bit, but that doesn't affect the quality.
 
#9
11-16-12, 9:10 PM

Online
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4993
I used a similar guide from Bishoujo Project and it works nicely. One notable difference between this one and that one is this guide has no mention of hardware acceleration within LAV Video Decoder. Just wondering what your thoughts on this are.
 
11-16-12, 9:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2060
Kimura said:
I used a similar guide from Bishoujo Project and it works nicely. One notable difference between this one and that one is this guide has no mention of hardware acceleration within LAV Video Decoder. Just wondering what your thoughts on this are.


It really depends on your system. If you only have a mid-range video card (or high-end integrated graphics) your graphics power should be going toward madVR, especially if you want good downscaling and upscaling (if, for example, your monitor is less than 1080p and you want to use 4- or 8-tap Lanczos with anti-ringing to downscale 1080p video, you'll need all the graphics power you can manage). But if you do have a video card that can run madVR and LAV's hardware acceleration without dropping any frames, then chances are you also have a CPU that can run 10-bit 1080p video without breaking a sweat. So hardware acceleration is pointless on the majority of systems.

I don't think it works with AMD cards either.
 
11-17-12, 2:01 AM
Forum Moderator
Online
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2045
Caze said:
I just didn't like that I couldn't go to a different part of the video without it taking a noticeably long moment to load the audio and making a "click" sound.

Because it adapts the media, it needs some time to re-adapt it when you use seeking. It's usually fast and unnoticeable with the right settings. I'm still working towards it and soon I'll update the guide with more necessary information in the matter.

Jrittmayer said:
I'm running a 64-bit system, shouldn't there be some sort of decoders to take advantage of that?
Currently using Shark 007 codecs for Win 7, with the x64 add-on codecs as well as CCCP. Always' worked great for me, not sure if your guide would help me much.

x64 bit codecs are useless. They not only are a problem for compatibility but the performance gain is not worth it.

Kimura said:
I used a similar guide from Bishoujo Project and it works nicely. One notable difference between this one and that one is this guide has no mention of hardware acceleration within LAV Video Decoder. Just wondering what your thoughts on this are.

First, I don't recommend the use of Bishoujou Project guide. Not just because their guide sucks (don't let me get started with most issues), but because it recommends things that you will never need like madFlac and the useless CoreAVC. They also don't recommend the use of xy-VSFilter that is the best subtitle renderer to date (because of minor issues with Desktop resolution which only people who upscale can sometimes notice). Oh yeah, with this guide like Hakuro said, you won't need hardware acceleration or anything of sort. madVR is GPU oriented so it will use the potential of the CPU and GPU altogether.

Basically, they're trying to put in your throat everything that is out there either you'll need it or not. Completely pointless.

Read this: MAL Guidelines Use that: Report Abuse
 
11-17-12, 2:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 94
I used Bishoujo Project's guide as a basis for my own setup. I say basis because I don't think that any setup guide should be followed exactly, because you need to take into account both the capabilities of your computer and your own personal preferences. I ended up doing a lot of research all around the net and fooling around with configuration for a while, and I still find little things to tweak. My GPU's too slow for MadVR, but I've gotten great results with EVR Custom Pres. with floating point processing and pixel shaders.

Something interesting I do is play 720p videos at their normal size in fullscreen, though my monitor is 1366 x 768. Because they're so close in resolution, the black surrounding the frame isn't enough to bother me at all, and I've gotten smoother playback from it.

I can't wipe my butt with the shreds of a wedding dress!!

 
11-17-12, 6:12 AM
Forum Moderator
Online
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2045
KazolOrajia said:
I ended up doing a lot of research all around the net and fooling around with configuration for a while, and I still find little things to tweak. My GPU's too slow for MadVR, but I've gotten great results with EVR Custom Pres. with floating point processing and pixel shaders.

The problem with their guide is simply because they forgot to make the most essential thing: recommend the most optimal software. Although it's explained about xy-VSFilter there, when you read it, the feeling you get it that you should get away from it because of the desktop resolution, which is a minor issue compared to what the internal MPC-HC's VSFilter sucks at.

Did you tried to change madVR chroma upsampling and upscale/downscale? With the right settings you can use it with better performance than EVR-CP. I recommend using bilinear since your upscale is not major.

Read this: MAL Guidelines Use that: Report Abuse
 
11-17-12, 7:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2060
Niyawa said:
Although it's explained about xy-VSFilter there, when you read it, the feeling you get it that you should get away from it because of the desktop resolution, which is a minor issue compared to what the internal MPC-HC's VSFilter sucks at.


He's using JanWillem32's builds of MPC-HC, which don't have perfect subtitle engines but are still a hell of lot better than regular MPC-HC. It's less stable/consistent than xy-VSFilter, but if you do a lot of upscaling it's worth considering IMO. My setup is JanWillem32's MPC-HC with xy-VSFilter installed. I just check/uncheck "auto-load subtitles" to switch between the two and I love having that option.

EDIT: But I agree that xy-VSFilter is "the" renderer to recommend.
Modified by Hakuromatsu, 11-17-12, 8:00 AM
 
11-17-12, 10:21 AM
Forum Moderator
Online
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2045
Hakuromatsu said:
But I agree that xy-VSFilter is "the" renderer to recommend.

Yup. I'm yet to make a full test on JanWillem32's builds of MPC-HC. If it pass the range of quality, I may put it in the guide. It's likely do to so, since XhmikosR is also working on the project.

Read this: MAL Guidelines Use that: Report Abuse
 
11-18-12, 7:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 15
How were you able to activate the screenshot feature when using madvr as the video renderer?

Refer: Third screenshot.
 
11-18-12, 7:57 AM
Forum Moderator
Online
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2045
Harontiar said:
How were you able to activate the screenshot feature when using madvr as the video renderer?

madVR supports screenshot since the 0.84 version. But you need to use the MPC-HC builds from the link that I provided (I call them nightly builds, since they get daily updates). You can't take screenshots with the current stable version of MPC-HC in the website.

Read this: MAL Guidelines Use that: Report Abuse
 
11-18-12, 8:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 15
Niyawa said:
Harontiar said:
How were you able to activate the screenshot feature when using madvr as the video renderer?

madVR supports screenshot since the 0.84 version. But you need to use the MPC-HC builds from the link that I provided (I call them nightly builds, since they get daily updates). You can't take screenshots with the current stable version of MPC-HC in the website.


Okay. I got it now. Thank you.
 
11-19-12, 10:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Niyawa said:

First, I don't recommend the use of Bishoujou Project guide. Not just because their guide sucks (don't let me get started with most issues), but because it recommends things that you will never need like madFlac and the useless CoreAVC. They also don't recommend the use of xy-VSFilter that is the best subtitle renderer to date (because of minor issues with Desktop resolution which only people who upscale can sometimes notice). Oh yeah, with this guide like Hakuro said, you won't need hardware acceleration or anything of sort. madVR is GPU oriented so it will use the potential of the CPU and GPU altogether.

Basically, they're trying to put in your throat everything that is out there either you'll need it or not. Completely pointless.


Why do you not recommend CoreAVC? I have problems running high quality 1080p videos on my computer with normal codecs but after installing CoreAVC, its play much better with no stutter. Unless the other video codecs have recently fixed their issues, CoreAVC seems to work best with people who have older pcs.
 
11-19-12, 10:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3125
maguss said:
Why do you not recommend CoreAVC? I have problems running high quality 1080p videos on my computer with normal codecs but after installing CoreAVC, its play much better with no stutter. Unless the other video codecs have recently fixed their issues, CoreAVC seems to work best with people who have older pcs.

Did you try the LAV filters? They're open source and constantly being updated, currently I hear they're not much slower than CoreAVC.
 
Top
Pages (67) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices