Forum Settings
Forums

Production I.G & Masaaki Yuasa Raise Funds for Kick-Heart Short Film

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 2, 2012 8:40 AM

Jan 2012
I have seen a lot of crazy things in my life,... but this is new even for me xD Shakespeare and wrestling,... if it gets out I'll watch the 1st 5 min. and than decide what to think of it :P.
Oct 2, 2012 9:38 AM

Nov 2010
Btw, it's only been two days (from one month) but it's 1/3 way already. Going smooth, eh?

But actually, how much does 150000$ counts? Shouldn't kickstarter will also costs plenty of money (revenue share, merchandise and delivery costs) and anime production is especially costly?
Oct 2, 2012 10:57 AM

Feb 2008
I guess nobody here has watched any of Yuasa's works, if they think that synopsis is weird...
And I do hope this gets funded, I really want to see more works from the genius.
Oct 2, 2012 11:00 AM

Feb 2010
Yuasa is worth the bucks!
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 2, 2012 1:05 PM

Dec 2007
*reads synopsis*... it's April 1st already?
Oct 2, 2012 1:25 PM
Feb 2012
Ahaha that synopsis ahaha oh God really? Must be some hilarious joke 'cause they can't be serious about this.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Oct 2, 2012 1:39 PM

Nov 2009
Damn, humanity hardly have any chances to survival.

Oct 2, 2012 2:17 PM

Sep 2010
It seems kind of embarrassing for a major studio to have to seek lolInterestAndReturnFreeFunding from Kickstarter.

Oct 2, 2012 2:50 PM

Sep 2010
And it's embarrassing that a studio just can't admit the idea sucks and propose something that worthwhile. Not every niche is going to be worth exploring.

Oct 2, 2012 3:01 PM

Sep 2010
They aren't the same thing and in the case of a Romeo and Juliet themed wrestling short I'd see it's neither.

Looking for free money for crappy ideas isn't a new business model. It's the same idea of borrowing money from a bank/investors except with no requirement to pay any of it back. It's acceptable to small indie groups that can't get backing, not because their idea sucks but because they are too small to risk investing in.

Oct 2, 2012 3:11 PM

Apr 2010
Seems like it'll be...interesting...
Oct 2, 2012 3:20 PM

Sep 2010
I don't think anything is gained by splitting hairs over what constitutes a "different model" - suffice to say, I think crowdsourced funding and traditional investments from commercial entities would create substantive differences for the parties involved. Call it what you will, though.

You're the one that attempted to argue that this is a new business model. Beside, I am not against kickstarter. My comment was only saying that big companies turning looking for risk free money for ideas that suck looks embarrassing to me.

But I think insisting that "the idea sucks and nobody will like it" is a baseline for discussion makes it rather hard to get anywhere.

I am not trying to get anywhere with it or support it in a debate. I am not taking the middle-ground or trying to mediate this by having no opinion.

Indie animation is really hard.

This idea is not indie animation.

Oct 2, 2012 3:56 PM

Sep 2010

Neither am I really, it's more that I don't think my opinion of this specific title is relevant to whether or not this is an interesting or legitimate... thing-that-we'll-call-something-other-than-business-model.

The topic is about this specific title and not the general idea of kickstarter. The project having to resort to kickstarter speaks volumes about it's potential more than my opinion of it.

No, this is not indie. But in an earlier post I'd broadened to "marginal, small titles that nobody would otherwise try to finance" as well, which I'd put this under. I switched focus somewhat in the middle of the post, but am interested in its effect on both. I'd also throw in its effect on releases of existing titles (again, where can I throw money at a Touka Gettan BD?).

And when a topic about kickstarter and indie projects happen here I am sure your posts will be relevant there. I will, however, express my opinion about Kick-Heart and the how bad the idea must be for them to need to resort to asking for donations.

Oct 2, 2012 6:12 PM

Jul 2011
Sounded like a good idea until I read the synopsis.

LOL.
Oct 2, 2012 7:11 PM

Apr 2011
Excuse me I.G. while I go take a shit, and pick my nose.
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
Oct 3, 2012 7:39 AM

May 2009
I love how some of you guys don't even look at the clips, interviews, acknowledge the people who will potentially work on this project or look at their main ideals.

Why would you judge an anime that hasn't been created yet over a synopsis and not the other parts of the story which are explained more thoroughly in the interviews?

From what I can see there is going to be some great people working on this, the studio has produced some great work in the past, the animation style is great, the story is interesting and better than half the stuff that airs every season AND by helping them out you get a ton of rewards.

Think positive people :)
Oct 3, 2012 7:53 AM

Apr 2010
rpn101 said:
From what I can see there is going to be some great people working on this, the studio has produced some great work in the past, the animation style is great, the story is interesting and better than half the stuff that airs every season AND by helping them out you get a ton of rewards.

This is all in your own opinion. Personally, I think the story sounds dumb, the animation style looks weird and I've never been interested in anything this director has done. So why should I be hyped about this short?

Plus you say that you shouldn't pay attention to the synopsis. Its a freaking 10 minute anime, it'll follow it to a tee since they don't have much time to do much else than that.

Oct 3, 2012 7:53 AM

Jul 2010
I don't care if this short anime will be hit or flop but i think this is good idea. If they get it successfully, there are chances that maybe more directors - who want to show their work - will start project on kickstarter. And as long as they have talent and something original, I don't think it's bad to get contribution from all over the world when production companies only care about money and go with projects which doesn't carry much risk.
Oct 3, 2012 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
rpn101 said:
I love how some of you guys don't even look at the clips, interviews, acknowledge the people who will potentially work on this project or look at their main ideals.

Why would you judge an anime that hasn't been created yet over a synopsis and not the other parts of the story which are explained more thoroughly in the interviews?

Think positive people :)

Because to many animu fans, no moe, no go.
The Art of Eight
Oct 3, 2012 8:45 AM

Apr 2009
dankickyou said:

I think the main problem is that most of the anime fans are mostly only watch harem, battle Shounen and generic romances and Light Novel adaption. I doubt most of them even know who the guys behind this project are. Would also explain A LOT of ratings and reviews on MAL.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Oct 3, 2012 8:50 AM

Apr 2010
Nidhoeggr said:
dankickyou said:

I think the main problem is that most of the anime fans are mostly only watch harem, battle Shounen and generic romances and Light Novel adaption. I doubt most of them even know who the guys behind this project are. Would also explain A LOT of ratings and reviews on MAL.

While its not that simple, people do generally watch what they feel most comfortable with... Things that are different are often tough for people to try, so they resort back to the shows they know they like. This is how I am... I know I like cute girls, I know I like fighting shows, etc. I don't think I like artsy stuff, because the few I've seen I've never enjoyed, so I just stray away from those. The artsy stuff in general has a lot less draw to fans because many people just want to watch something without trying to challenge themselves. If I wanted to be challenged, I'd go take a class or something... entertainment is for fun.

Oct 3, 2012 10:15 AM

Jun 2009
Never heard of him before, but I watched the video and was impressed--I like his style! This is pretty cool. I hope this happens & I wish I had 10K to spare!

Oct 3, 2012 4:48 PM

Sep 2008
Some rich motherfucker actually pledge that 10k package. Cheers for him/her.
Oct 4, 2012 2:51 PM

Dec 2007
I lol'd. Hope everything goes well, I want to see it made.
Oct 5, 2012 3:03 PM

Jan 2008
Frankly if I had 10k I'd pledge it. Director of GitS and Yuasa in the same fucking room having dinner? That would be amazing. Plus a tour of Production I.G. studios. Really, I'd say that's pretty cheap considering it's pretty much a once in a lifetime experience.

Also I really hope this thing gets what it needs. If I wasn't a broke NEET right now I'd totally pledge for it. More Yuasa is always good.

Also, saying it now, this will be in the top 10 best anime of the year it's released, regardless of length.
Oct 6, 2012 5:54 PM

Oct 2008
Pledging $100. Would do more for the actual print, but that's pushing it as it is.
I... love him.
Oct 9, 2012 3:28 AM

Mar 2007
I pledged $15. For someone who lives in a poor country and works as a cleaner, that's pretty much a fortune, but I really love Yuasa's stuff and want to see this made.
Oct 9, 2012 12:03 PM

May 2008
I pledged $15 as well, since I only want the 480p version. I really am looking forward to this because it sounds awesome.
Oct 13, 2012 2:14 PM

Dec 2009
It's amazing to see how many are against this idea, when this could potentially be the start of a new era of anime if it is a success.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Oct 21, 2012 6:47 PM

Apr 2010
If anyone's still around here, Masaaki Yuasa is doing/did an AMA on Reddit.

Regardless of whether or not you like him, his answers are pretty interesting and it's great to get direct feedback from someone in the industry.
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Oct 23, 2012 6:57 AM

Dec 2009
Guys, there's only about $10,000 left. Make this a reality!
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Oct 26, 2012 3:16 PM

Mar 2008
bananapills said:
They have reached the $150,000! ^^

Wooooooooohooooooooooooooooo!!!

Gave them a dollar. :>
Oct 26, 2012 4:10 PM

Apr 2012
Sweet. Just saw this, hope Yuasa will continue to make other and longer projects, he's too young to retire...
Damn, I didn't donate...
Pfeeyu, still 4 days left...
Now, T-shirt or poster... decisions, decisions...
Oct 30, 2012 3:51 PM

Apr 2012
If you guys want Batou doing the English dubs, they still need 4,500$ (they already have 1,500$ through paypal), and there are only 5 hours left.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/production-ig/masaaki-yuasas-kick-heart
EratiKOct 30, 2012 4:01 PM
Oct 30, 2012 11:35 PM

Mar 2012
Congrats to I.G for achieving their English Dub goal. Is there a MAL entry for this? Don't see one.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 31, 2012 9:36 AM

Mar 2012
Thanks. One member, lol.
LoneWolf said:
Nov 1, 2012 9:37 AM

Mar 2012
Works for me, try again.
LoneWolf said:
Nov 11, 2012 6:22 PM

May 2008
Voice actors for the main characters have been confirmed. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/production-ig/masaaki-yuasas-kick-heart/posts/346530?ref=email&show_token=1dd0389baa5c3e52

Romeo will be voiced by Tatsuhisa Suzuki
Juliet will be voiced by Takako Honda
Nov 11, 2012 6:45 PM

Mar 2012
Nice. Takako Honda is quite good and, while I've only heard his voice acting in one show (Tonari), Tatsuhisa Suzuki is doing a solid job thus far.
LoneWolf said:
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
2 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

4 by yamiyugi101 »»
3 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
5 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
6 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.