Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »
Jun 27, 2014 10:25 AM

Jan 2014
Dang it! Playing classical music right off the bat. It now has my interest.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 1, 2014 6:51 AM

Feb 2011
didn't expected it to be this dark and mysterious from the very start,
if what they say about it becoming "more interesting" later is true, it worries me a bit..

when saki's mother talked about not losing more childrens i wonder if she was talking in general or about her own childrens, if it's the latter it would mean saki isn't the first born but all her bigger brothers and/or sisters vanished somewhere for some reason (which makes me think more about forced selection)

loving the music and the art, they give away the fitting atmosphere
ZeandoAug 1, 2014 6:56 AM

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Aug 9, 2014 3:09 AM

Mar 2007
Well that was boring. I think I'll watch at least one more episode, but for now, I don't get the hype at all.
Aug 11, 2014 9:05 AM

Sep 2011
Now that was an interseting premise. All the story telling styles used in this just makes me happy.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Sep 4, 2014 10:02 AM
Sep 2014
slow start, promising finish
Sep 7, 2014 6:53 PM

Nov 2012
An interesting first episode even if somewhat slow and confusing, will keep watching, hope it gets better and more creative uses of powers.
Sep 15, 2014 5:44 PM

Nov 2012
Rewatching BDs,can already tell rewatching this is going to be a bliss.
Oct 15, 2014 10:28 PM

Jun 2013
That was fantastic for a first episode. Animation is great too.
Oct 25, 2014 8:45 PM

Jun 2014
Good first episode, little confused bout the big fire scene and terms like cantus but besides that nice start. Hopefully they explain it in other episodes
Oct 25, 2014 8:48 PM

Jul 2012
Qans said:
Good first episode, little confused bout the big fire scene and terms like cantus but besides that nice start. Hopefully they explain it in other episodes

Basically, it was a ritual for her to awaken her powers. Cantus = psychic powers
Oct 25, 2014 8:49 PM

Jun 2014
mayukachan said:
Qans said:

Basically, it was a ritual for her to awaken her powers. Cantus = psychic powers

But weren't her psychic powers already awakened? Or was the ritual so that she can control it?
Oct 25, 2014 8:51 PM

Jul 2012
Qans said:
mayukachan said:

But weren't her psychic powers already awakened? Or was the ritual so that she can control it?

Yeah, the latter. It's just a ceremony/tradition.
Oct 25, 2014 8:53 PM

Jun 2014
mayukachan said:
Qans said:

Yeah, the latter. It's just a ceremony/tradition.

Oh okay I get it now thanks !
Nov 12, 2014 12:24 PM
Nov 2013
Damn, that is rough. It must be sad to not have the skills to be successful in life. It reminds me of the animal kingdom. Of course, we humans do not get eaten if we lack the skills to survive and fit into society in one way or another. It makes me sad that a sweet and fragile child like, Reiko, is considered unfit and taken by the cat spirit.

Something tells me this school's rituals select an elite class of students while many others get eliminated by spirits or other students.
Nov 12, 2014 12:45 PM

Feb 2013
Cynic_Focus said:
Damn, that is rough. It must be sad to not have the skills to be successful in life. It reminds me of the animal kingdom. Of course, we humans do not get eaten if we lack the skills to survive and fit into society in one way or another. It makes me sad that a sweet and fragile child like, Reiko, is considered unfit and taken by the cat spirit.

Something tells me this school's rituals select an elite class of students while many others get eliminated by spirits or other students.

congratiulations, you are one of few who noticed that reiko died XD, it took me 4 eps back then, and your guess is interessting... ^^
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Nov 17, 2014 2:42 AM

Apr 2014
Poor Reiko, I wonder what happens to all these kids that "disappear". Are they just murdered by these priests or is there actually a cat beast involved... Human sacrifices maybe????
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 23, 2014 9:39 AM

Jun 2014
Not to sure how to feel about this series.

Nov 29, 2014 3:40 AM

Oct 2009
The first episode didn't impress me at all :/ I hope it picks up.
Gib [img] plz
Dec 3, 2014 3:15 AM

Aug 2013
The atmosphere as well as the tone set-up by this episode was just marvellous.

Currently re-watching this show for the second time (so the third viewing) with the English dub this go; Satoru's voice by Greg Ayres is probably what I dislike the most.

The slightly updated visuals were nice improvements nevertheless.
Dec 10, 2014 5:53 PM

Dec 2012
Okay episode. Nice music and atmosphere, I'm getting annoyed at Saki's shouting though. Can't handle these high pitched voices. Looks like she's got a lot to deal with.
Dec 13, 2014 1:25 PM
Mar 2013
Is Reiko the new girl, daughter of the mom who said she didn't want to lose any more children?
Dec 14, 2014 4:17 AM

Feb 2013
lmarao6 said:
Is Reiko the new girl, daughter of the mom who said she didn't want to lose any more children?

nope reiko was a normal friend of the group

the thing with she didnt want to loose anymore child well, that smth you notice anway a bit later in the anime^^ just keep it in mind

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Dec 15, 2014 8:06 AM

Jul 2012
lmarao6 said:

The mom is the mother to the main character, Saki.
Dec 15, 2014 8:13 AM

Dec 2013
mayukachan said:
lmarao6 said:

The mom is the mother to the main character, Saki.

Lol at your comment for this episode mayuka. :D I had worse opinion over it at first :D
Dec 15, 2014 8:16 AM

Jul 2012
robis798 said:
Lol at your comment for this episode mayuka. :D I had worse opinion over it at first :D

Hushhh
At that time, I was still a filthy casual with a closed mind. I dropped this show for 23 weeks OTL
Dec 15, 2014 8:27 AM

Dec 2013
mayukachan said:
robis798 said:

Hushhh
At that time, I was still a filthy casual with a closed mind. I dropped this show for 23 weeks OTL

I also dropped this for like 3-4 months. Repicking it was my best decision evarrr
Dec 15, 2014 1:25 PM

Feb 2013
robis798 said:
mayukachan said:

Hushhh

I also dropped this for like 3-4 months. Repicking it was my best decision evarrr

i watched the first 10 episodes through 3 months xD while completing the rest in 1 day :P i think we know all that this show has a slow start and takes a while to get into it :P

Dec 30, 2014 8:53 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was certainly somewhat intriguing. Although i think, i don't really understand everything that's going on. I guess, people who do bad at the academy vanish?
Feb 26, 2015 3:38 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I dived into this after reading a couple of review from people whose taste I respect. The art, animation and music are top notch and the world is very intriguing. The story has ominous tones and I get the feeling from that opening scene, that nothing is as it seems. Will definitely keep watching.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 10, 2015 8:20 PM

May 2012
ive heard good things about this show and im finally getting around to watching it... and boom cliff hanger on the first episode... wonderful :D
Apr 15, 2015 1:23 PM

Oct 2013
It was interesting, but my gosh was that confusing. The atmosphere was the best part indeed.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Apr 30, 2015 10:33 PM

Feb 2015
So for some reason I decided to re-watch the first episode of this series again, and.... well, what can I say, I still love it the same way as I did the first time I saw it. This is such a well thought-out and put together show, honestly. I can’t believe I have yet to find something similar or close to it. Maybe I’m not looking at the right places; maybe that’s the problem. I mean, the recommendation section has some good stuff in it, but still not close to what I experienced with this show.

Anyhow, fantastic first episode. Very disturbing beginning and somewhat confusing (I’m not gonna deny that), but fantastic nevertheless. This is just the beginning for what I consider to be one of the most alluring and intriguing stories I’ve ever seen in an anime series.

Jun 3, 2015 11:44 AM

Jan 2010
Bloody murder, the ceremony to become an adult, enrolling into the new school, powers, classes, mysterious creatures, rumors, disappearances, and all the problems surrounding Saki towards the end before Reiko disappeared. That felt like five episodes worth of material crammed into a single episode. Paying attention seems important early on due to the show rushing itself. I nearly got lost a few times with the amount of names and concepts dropped in succession.
Jun 8, 2015 8:15 PM
Dec 2011
i love it ... very excited to see the story :3
Jun 12, 2015 8:42 AM

Dec 2014
I'm going into this completely blind other than knowing it's highly regarded. It looks like it's going to be really good, I'm excited!
Jun 24, 2015 8:51 AM
Nov 2014
For all those who say this is boring and confusing after just one episode- I hate to say this, but either one of two things, or perhaps 3 is happening-

Either you are not to experienced watching shows like this- Shiki, Another, Higurashi, etc. Shows that have perfect pacing, have mystery and then thriller, psychological and ethical+moral elements.

Or two, you are going in with a bad impression or mindset- only expecting action or sci-fi or perhaps comedic elements that draw you into common anime nowadays.

This is not that type of anime and I can tell after 1 episode- and to be honest, after 150 shows or so within the past 8 months, I am so glad to find refreshing anime like this one.

Or three, you just don't understand the premise or details- in that case I would say there is nothing to be done.

Anyways, if you enjoy intellectual anime that make you think and be engaged in not just action and visuals- definitely watch- this is definitely top 10 first episodes ever- including code geass death note etc.
Jun 24, 2015 8:55 AM
Nov 2014
CeeTwo said:
This was pretty boring >.>

all they did was talk about some cultist stuff and all

Japan's idea of magical stuff is the most dull ever tbh :/
Really dude? Lol. Japan and China, as well as almost all of southern Eurasia and Northern Africa- INVENTED Magic and Cult History. Fool. (Not trying to flame just trying to get the point across
Jul 11, 2015 8:59 AM

Jul 2009
That was ... interesting. Really not what I expected :O Beginning looked like people with their powers out of control or something. OP fit well with the atmosphere, but not sure if I really like it. Really liked the ED though (that's what got me into watching this show actually XD). So some people have "powers" and they have different schools for that ... I'm guessing the Copycats will eat you or something? Sure seems ominous O_O Not to mention Saki's parents having lost children already ... dang. Reiko disappeared too ... I'm guessing the Board of Education her parents were talking about did something about that :S
Anyway, so really good worldbuilding so far (like the Barrier, and how there are fiends you want to keep away from the village) - can't really tell too much about the characters yet, but we haven't seen too much of them yet. Hopefully that gets better. Another thing that bothers me is their eyes ... they seem kind of out of place on their faces >_< Oh well, it's not THAT bad, but just a little distracting D:
Hoping this show gets better - I've heard a lot of good stuff about it! :O
Sep 1, 2015 2:44 PM

Jan 2013
Going into this anime without knowing anything about it ... and I have to say that it's really interesting and also mysterious, loads of information given in this episode.
The music and animation or top notch, so are the VA's.

Guessing "Cantus" is some sort of psychic powers.
Seems Saki's parents already lost a child, going by their discussion.
Not sure what Copycats do exactly, I'm sure we'll find out.
PrOxAntoSep 1, 2015 2:47 PM
Sep 13, 2015 4:19 PM

Jan 2013
Saki is hot. Her mother too. Would bang/10
Excellent art and animation. It seems it'll be an extraordinary OST too. Atmospheric first episode and kinda unique so I'm quite hooked tbh.
Love ED song :)
Oct 17, 2015 7:27 AM

Dec 2013
I'm a bit lost but i'll try to grasp it soon
Oct 19, 2015 6:21 PM

Aug 2012
That's interesting, great writing.
Nov 19, 2015 11:21 AM

Sep 2014
A New World...A New Danger. Ep 1.

Plot: Saki is a girl of the futuristic world where beings such as karmic demons and psychic abilities have become the norm. She goes to school, learns about her powers, and makes time with her friends. But upon the discovery of her power, things begin to change and move. Danger lurks underneath the peaceful village and as days go by, the darkness grows and grows.

Character: I like Saki and her friends. Saki has a likable attitude and how she deals with the world feels like its gonna be great to watch. The standouts are Maria and Satoru. Saki and Maria's relationship does imply/go full in on yuri and its okay. It's cute and I kinda wanna see it develop. Satoru's a d*ck but I smile at his antics.

Shun hasn't done anything for me yet. So far he seems to be the strongest but meh.

I fear for Reiko and Mamoru. Reiko's gone and she seemed so meek but trying. Mamoru like SHun needs to up his game.

Animation/sound: Beautiful. The animation, while kinda basic, does wonders when it goes for facial expressions, tense scenes, and heartwarming moments. But the sound is what propels it higher. THe ED Wareta Ringo is just a honey and warm treat to listen to.

5/5. A strong opener. I look forward to the rest.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Nov 19, 2015 12:13 PM

Feb 2013
wow you actually noticed that they said that reiko is gone in the first ep? thats rare ^^ most don't notice it ^^

Nov 24, 2015 9:59 AM

Sep 2014
Smooki said:
wow you actually noticed that they said that reiko is gone in the first ep? thats rare ^^ most don't notice it ^^

Huh? But the subs said so?

Nov 25, 2015 10:03 AM

Feb 2013
Aarronin said:
Smooki said:

still XD she was soo unimportant many dont notice it :P

Dec 1, 2015 6:49 PM

Sep 2014
Smooki said:
Aarronin said:

still XD she was soo unimportant many dont notice it :P

Granted but she was a friend to the MC's. Who wouldn't be worried that she was just gone?

Jan 20, 2016 9:57 AM

Sep 2015
5/5... Pretty good start... Got all my attention to it!
Jan 29, 2016 11:15 AM

Aug 2014
my lb reaction:

• the black hair kid seems lonely and i want to hug them already although they seem to be killing everyone around them?? judging by the hair colour/length i think this is shun
  • these kids are playing on the mountain and they feel happy. how much do u want to be that they are not happy any more or friends atm?
  • the soundtrack is really pretty so far???
  • watanabe saki is introduced and pls tell me she remains happy. she looks alike a pure child, a good bean
  • what are they doing to her 'lets burn the last of ur earthly desires' are they making her a demon? a holy figure??
  • its the spirit of adulthood im sorry but that seems as if grown up talk for period
  • wait, do they want to beat her powers out of her? why seal her powers into a paper doll
  • is this akki from the book important later? i want to say akki is shun but thats going too far lmao
  • was the board about to hurt saki if she didnt show signs of adult ? 'i've had it with losing children' does that mean saki had siblings? or is the mother talking about children from school?
  • reiko didnt even get a chance to be why did she have to go away okay bc im weak i checked reiko's entry at mal
Feb 23, 2016 6:26 PM

Aug 2014
Wow, very weird, yet i find something amazing in it.
A great Soundtrack, so beautiful, it fits this mysterious world very well.
Excellent Episode.
Pages (10) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.