Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sunshine Sketch
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 9, 2007 2:42 PM

Mar 2005
mm, if I had to describe this show in one sentence, it would be Yotsuba + Honey and Clover. I used to say Azumanga Daioh instead of Yotsuba but I think the whole motif of pure youngsters seeing excitement in an ordinary world like in Yotsuba is more emphasized in Hidamari Sketch than the motif of excitement in school life like in Azumanga Daioh. The whole art school vibe definitely brings Honey and Clover memories.

So yes, everyone is extremely loli. The main character Yuno looks like she's Kyon's sister's age. The teacher herself looks younger than Akane Suzumiya. The teacher seems to have the funniest personality of them all, quirky like Yukari from Azu but without the viciousness.

Hiro cries that she needs to diet rofl! These girls all look like they're 50 pounds!

Overall though, at this point it's pure slice-of-life. I'm not sure how long I can last on just that, but we'll see. :) A plot point is hinted at about 3/4 into the episode, so we'll see what happens. Hidamari was a 4koma like Azumanga Daioh was so probably plot is gonna be minimal. It's all gonna be about the mellowness of watch four pure children explore the world. The ED conveys the mellow spirit quite well, while the OP screams Azumanga Daioh.

Yuko Goto (Mikuru Asahina) plays Hiro and Kaori Mizuhashi (Akane Suzumiya) plays Miya.

Oh and one last thing. I love references, and this little thing they put in here was just frikkin awesome lol. http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=814467&postcount=53
Feb 9, 2007 8:28 PM

Jan 2007
i agree with the Yotsuba and H&C combo. it really does give you that feel. I love the deformed designs that they goto occasionally. That teacher is hilarious.
Feb 9, 2007 9:48 PM

Mar 2005
Personally I think they use the SD forms way too much. they should just keep the regular designs, look much better that way.
Jul 23, 2008 1:07 AM

Jan 2008
Haha I'm so slow >_> . I actually didn't catch Yuno's spelling mistake until it was pointed out the second time....

De-JaY made me watch this and so far................I quite like it.
Sep 8, 2008 1:11 AM

Dec 2007
Once again I'm late to the party. I thought it was an okay show, your average slice of life which I haven't seen in awhile so it's good to get back to. The teacher was the funniest one in there in my opinion. I also find it strange that I can now identify Yuko Goto by hearing her despite watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya in English.

#NBHNC
Oct 14, 2008 6:16 PM

Jun 2007
put it on hold >.>
had to make myself finish the episode after the first 5-10 minutes D:
it seems that "slice of life" isnt my kind of genre, in exception of a few anime...

might pick it up later, though

kei-clone said:
Personally I think they use the SD forms way too much. they should just keep the regular designs, look much better that way.

!agrees
Dec 18, 2008 6:11 AM

Jul 2008
Interesting show, it has quite a very unique feel to it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest; got a couple unexpected laughs and I'm loving the ED.
Dec 30, 2008 9:27 PM

Jun 2008
its so cute and has a good vibe. as you said its like yotsuba and i haven't seen this honey and clover but meh i imagine it's relaxing....

this is WAY better than lucky star. god i hate that show...
Mar 28, 2009 2:45 PM
Dec 2008
whoa. this is alive. so much happening! brain exploding
Jun 18, 2009 11:48 PM

Jan 2009
This looks pretty cool. I have everything downloaded!
Sep 24, 2009 1:17 AM

May 2008
Interesting show, it has quite a very unique feel to it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest; got a couple unexpected laughs and I'm loving the ED.
Jul 17, 2010 8:52 AM

Aug 2009
Pretty nice atmosphere here
Sep 6, 2010 7:32 PM
Aug 2008
I like both this and Lucky Star, so hey.

I read volumes 1-3 of the manga first, so it was kinda neat to see the OP's references to things that happen there. (Even if you won't see them until x 365.)

It seems like the first season was made without knowing the second season was going to be, so we hear a lot of talking about things that happened earlier -- like what happened at the shrine "yesterday", which is shown in episode 13 of x 365 -- that we probably wouldn't have heard so much about if they had known there was going to be an episode to cover that event.

aero said:
Haha I'm so slow >_> . I actually didn't catch Yuno's spelling mistake until it was pointed out the second time....

Wasn't that Miyako's error? "LOVE & PIECE", right?

"Nyaaaaaa."

"Oh snap," goes the dub. Funny...

Heh, Hiro wonders if she has cards for the entire Chinese zodiac.

Iiii know who that text is from. (And you do, too, or will when you see the right episode. :) )
"Say, Tsukasa, how do you eat a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup?"
Jan 3, 2011 2:44 PM

Aug 2010
If Shaft did lucky star it would feel exactly like this.

Anyway, lovely first episode.
Mar 19, 2011 6:01 PM

Dec 2009
This episode was horrible. I hope the series gets better after this.
Jan 19, 2012 1:24 PM

Jun 2009
Pretty decent. Not particularly great but it was a decent way of spending time.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 2, 2012 7:29 PM

Apr 2011
I'm a SHAFT fan, but meh...
Feb 22, 2012 7:48 AM

Apr 2009
This is relaxing and cute but. There's a lot of stuff that was not in the manga to connect the time between different 4koma strips and the additions are very natural. However, some additions don't seem completely in character, for Miyako in particular. And it's a weird place to start the series, why not when Yuno moves in? if I hadn't read the manga and already know the characters I don't think I would have enjoyed this much.
Mar 14, 2012 9:06 PM

Aug 2010
insan3soldiern said:
Pretty decent. Not particularly great but it was a decent way of spending time.
Jul 12, 2012 2:39 PM

Aug 2009
I think I need an insulin shot...

Very sugary sweet show. I'm not sure how far I'll make it.

It seems that while I enjoy slice of life shows, I just can't take that much of them and usually can't make it past one season; if I can even get that far..
Jul 30, 2012 8:12 PM

Aug 2011
Seems like a very chilled (excuse the pun) and delightfully innocent show.
Mar 29, 2013 2:09 PM

Nov 2011
So moe~ and innocent

Nice episode and start to this series. Very innocent outlook. Dat January~
Feb 17, 2014 12:53 PM

May 2012
A cute start, with some nice characters and some funny moments! Let's see what the story has to offer us!
Jul 30, 2014 7:42 AM

Aug 2013
Ah this warms my heart :D Yuno's so adorable!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 24, 2014 5:31 PM

Oct 2012
Hmm, this has to be slicest slice-of-life, right? Chara designs from creator of Madoka.
It's nothing special just now but that's only because I still don't know where this anime is heading and what it intends to show us. Is this one shuffled year through eyes of those four girls?

Somehow, I got this silly idea that in the end this could be watched chronologically and if this is true, and they do all 356 days, that would be marvellous.
Apr 24, 2015 8:40 AM

May 2010
First thing I noticed was, one class = 1 hour.

Excellent slice of life, very relaxing. So they live in the same apartment complex. Gotta love that.

There are going to be huge time gaps, too. Already 9/10.
Aug 10, 2015 8:03 AM

May 2014
Is this seriously the first episode of the first season? There's no begining! The characters aren't even introduced! The episode doesn't match the synopsis at all. Isn't she supposed to start the school and meet new friends? It's like we're thrown into the middle of the second season or something.

I watched the right episode, right? The one called "Winter collage"? She made a collage which was her homework over new years. I checked multiple sources that said that was the first episode.
Nov 2, 2015 2:17 AM

Dec 2013
love and piece lol

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Jun 8, 2016 11:38 AM

Jun 2015
I've been wanting to check this one out for quite some time. Now I've finally seen the pilot, and... can't say I liked it. Pretty boring and the characters look very bland. The "Love and piece" part was a little bit funny (a little bit), but that's about it. If the rest of the show is like this, I'll probably drop it.

I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
Jun 14, 2016 10:17 PM

Jun 2008
Watching this for the anime watching challenge and i quite liked it.

Characters are cute but not much depth yet. I like how real images were incorporated with the animation, enjoyed looking at that.

Lol the piece part gave me a good chuckle. I like Miya. Think she might bring the humor to the rest of the series and i was amused by the squeaking of their teacher's shoes xD

I give the episode a 7/10. Excited for what else the series has to offer.

By: Gasara @ DeviantArt.com <3
Jul 14, 2017 9:14 PM

Apr 2016
To all the people potentially on the fence, it does get better. I love HS's anachronic episode order, but this is indeed a pretty strange note to start on. Considerably more enjoyable when you come back after seeing it all and already love the characters, though.

I think this'll be a worthwhile rewatch.
Apr 15, 2018 7:13 PM
Aug 2008
Kapten-N said:
Is this seriously the first episode of the first season? There's no begining! The characters aren't even introduced! The episode doesn't match the synopsis at all. Isn't she supposed to start the school and meet new friends? It's like we're thrown into the middle of the second season or something.

I watched the right episode, right? The one called "Winter collage"? She made a collage which was her homework over new years. I checked multiple sources that said that was the first episode.

It's in anachronic order, which I'm not sure has any benefit. I like the show in general, but I think it helped that I'd already gone over the events that happen in the manga by the time I watched it.

I don't really know what they were thinking. It leads to problems like the one I mentioned in my post from 2010.
"Say, Tsukasa, how do you eat a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup?"
May 12, 2018 9:04 AM

Nov 2011
Small premise to make users understand why I have reinvented this anime series: because I have never commented on it on MAL and because I want to finish watching all the seasons. It is one of the anime series, along with "Azumanga Daioh" and "Lucky Star", to have seen at the beginning of my long journey in the world of Japanese animation, so in a sense there are very fond of them. However we come to the episode, the beginning is the classic example that is found in many other souls, as you go forward in the narration, come out the inclinations of the various characters and the artistic trait that shines through in their every action. The narrative does not aim to spectacularize the contexts, but let everything flow as if we were observing a typical day. The style of the Studio Shaft is evident, nice the opening and the ending.
Nov 14, 2018 7:06 AM

Mar 2016
Re-watching: Shinbou's 'directing' makes this so tedious to watch. Still fun though.
Nov 24, 2018 6:57 PM

Nov 2018
From just this first episode, this looks like a delightful little show! It's very chill and cute and the characters are quite charming and likable. And this episode actually made me laugh out loud. So far, my favorite characters are Miya and the eccentric teacher, Yoshinoya. Yoshinoya is wonderfully weird and Miya is the archetypal energetic and funny best friend of the soft-spoken protagonist that I tend to have a soft spot for.

I'm going to have fun making my way through this show.
Live-action Japanese media that I've seen: https://mydramalist.com/dramalist/AmandaBear
Non-Japanese movies & TV shows that I've seen: https://www.imdb.com/user/ur29585794
Dec 18, 2019 10:11 AM

Sep 2018
This time I'll do things right: I'll finish the whole saga of this anime series, trying not to get lost on the road. Very funny first episode despite the narrative style being typical of a Slice of Life. Find stylistic features typical of Studio Shaft, I love them!
Nov 4, 2020 4:28 PM

Nov 2018
What a strange start to Hidamari Sketch. Starting the series without character introduction, Condition about their school life, and something they know about but with us not know about. Watching this episode is can be describe as pick some random episode in the middle of anime from some random CGDCT (Cute Girls Doing Cute Things) Anime. Like we missing something that relate to the character.
But is fine because this anime makes by SHAFT (You know the one who make Paniponi Dash!, Sayonara Sensei, Monogatari Series,etc). Usually whatever anime make by SHAFT their must be have unique aspect in there. In this anime is facial Expression which Cute as usual one and Simplistic yet Unique one.

Speaking of Character
Yuno is pretty Careless which she forget to do her homework. Also she always look on Positive Side of people which i like.
Miya-chan is Energetic and Easygoing which is gonna be easy to remember about her even from this episode.
Hiro is Character that can be relate to senior student that can relate and trust to their junior. But seems have A Diet Problem.
Sae is similiar to Hiro senior that relate and trust, also she seems kinda Smart from the "LOVE AND PIECE" scene.
Yoshinoya Sensei is Energetic yet Childish teacher that anything scene related to her can be funny.

That Expression Yuno have when she reject her time homework which me make me laugh pretty hard.

Miya-chan "NYAA" is really cute like a real cat.

That time when Miya-chan want to search a reason she wrong doing word

That Yuno scene showing her message from someone is pretty make me curious what is the message and where Their have different expression.

I'm kinda dislike this episode, but is just because they have unusual opening episode. Maybe I just need to get used to it. Other than that is pretty good start for Hidamari Sketch.
Yunohi-kunNov 4, 2020 4:32 PM
Feb 2, 2021 3:04 PM

Feb 2020
It was an okay start. I already like the characters. :)

SerafosSep 2, 2022 11:40 PM
Mar 18, 2021 9:29 AM

Jun 2016
Maybe I didn't take enough art classes back in my school days for this, but I don't get the appeal yet. The artistic focus is scattershot even for Shaft, and while it's not bad it doesn't mask or make up for the obviously low budget at all. Every other aspect is at the benchmark for mediocre CGDCT so far. A number of posts here are saying it's a weird start and that it gets better, I suppose I'll take their word for it.
Aug 1, 2021 9:04 PM

Aug 2017
I'm glad i wasn't the only confused about the first episode. For a second, i thought i was watching the wrong season.

It wasn't a good start despite the anachronic order, I don't like the characters.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 3, 2022 8:25 AM

Feb 2020
Re-watching this show.

60 episodes in total and I definitely don't remember most of the details anymore, so here we go again.

I have missed these characters so much.

Lol at all these hilarious facial expressions. They one of the best things in Hidamari Sketch.

SerafosJan 8, 1:50 AM
Jan 28, 2023 5:55 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Love Shaft's old art style, this show is really original for that, not to mention the wide faces and real life background elements 
Mar 7, 2023 4:58 PM

Nov 2012
My brain REALLY had to untrain itself to expect something bad to happen watching this style again after watching Madoka, haha.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch Episode 12 Discussion

cyruz - Aug 21, 2007

42 by burbels »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:15 AM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch Episode 8 Discussion

Faust721 - Jun 11, 2007

26 by Losthevy »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:15 AM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch Episode 3 Discussion

Faust721 - Mar 1, 2007

28 by NakaiHisao »»
Oct 14, 2023 4:51 PM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch Episode 11 Discussion

cyruz - Aug 21, 2007

19 by Ashhk »»
Feb 1, 2023 4:22 PM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch Episode 10 Discussion

cyruz - Aug 21, 2007

18 by Ashhk »»
Feb 1, 2023 5:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.