Forum Settings
Forums

Shaft's New Original Anime 'Prism Nana' Announced

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Aug 11, 2012 7:46 PM

Jan 2012
another project we can look forward to from based shaft, hopefully it's going to print them lots of money again. Don't really know what to expect here though
Aug 12, 2012 5:04 AM
Aug 2011
After watching the PV I'm not expecting any Madoka 2.0

Although I never saw Madoka's promo material, I still stand with my statement.

I'm just going to watch it. Whether it brings forth a new element into the Mahou Shoujo genre or modifies a existing element or even does every by the book of typical Mahou Shoujo. I'll simply watch it for wanting to.
Aug 12, 2012 6:01 AM
Sep 2011
Omniknight said:
It redefined the genre for me. Yes, the only two Mahou Shoujo I've ever watched is Madoka and Nanoha.

It didn't have to try too hard, being the very second one you've watched.

Omniknight said:
This is because in general I'm not much of a sticker for happy-go-lucky plots where the protagonist is never in really any danger.

And you've pretty much proven my point. At least give something a try before you brush off an entire genre and claim only it's two oddballs are any good. Princess Tutu is another one that seems to be well liked by older males, enough to be compared to ninjas dueling with guitars in terms of awesomeness. And of course it hits all the marks you mentioned, at least I believe it does.
RLinksoulAug 12, 2012 7:52 AM
Aug 12, 2012 4:34 PM

May 2011
It's shaft.
It'll be 10/10 like the rest.
Just take my money.

And anyone who tries to compare this to Madoka needs a lesson on how reconstructions and deconstructions work.
I don't see people comparing Gurren Lagann to Evangelion. They're polar opposites. This will be the same.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Aug 14, 2012 7:57 AM
Sep 2011
I can't find this anime on MAL. Why?
Aug 14, 2012 12:11 PM

May 2009
Mehar said:
I can't find this anime on MAL. Why?

Backlog. They have a lot of entries to sift through, apparently.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2012 12:39 PM

Oct 2011
Bobbypick said:
And anyone who tries to compare this to Madoka needs a lesson on how reconstructions and deconstructions work.
I don't see people comparing Gurren Lagann to Evangelion. They're polar opposites. This will be the same.
First people have to learn what is deconstruction and reconstruction so they won't be using those terms to describe Madoka.
Being dark doesn't equal being deconstruction (this thing I read few times here).
Aug 14, 2012 12:44 PM

Sep 2011
The art is gorgeous even though based on the trailer it's Definately not another Madoka.

Aug 17, 2012 2:08 PM

Nov 2009

I will watch it. Even if it doesn't turn out like Madoka (let's face it, Madoka 2 won't happen, cos the surprise is gone, we know what Shaft are capable of with the genres xD).
Aug 19, 2012 1:37 AM
Sep 2011
nice. not sure if shaft already mastered the genre, but i can say that they are indeed knowledgable about it. this is gonna be in my watchlist

!! btw. character design is kantoku's >>:)))) no doubting it,, also confirmed it in his site
KANTOKU ftw
Aug 19, 2012 2:31 AM
Apr 2012

Yay, another SHAFT-made Mahou Shoujo anime.
Will watch with great expectations. Great expectations.
Aug 19, 2012 12:41 PM

Dec 2007
Time to add this at MAL database, guys.
Aug 19, 2012 1:00 PM

Nov 2008
This is what Lilpri should have been.

Will watch for sure.

Aug 19, 2012 1:07 PM

Nov 2009
shiiiiiiion said:

2:50 Ahahahaha! It's time for more heads being cut xD.

Now i can't wait. It looks gorgeous! I hope the story is good or at least enjoyable.
Aug 19, 2012 1:17 PM

Nov 2008
bakuramariks said:
shiiiiiiion said:

2:50 Ahahahaha! It's time for more heads being cut xD.

Now i can't wait. It looks gorgeous! I hope the story is good or at least enjoyable.

I doubt there will be a groundbreaking story, it would be a vastly superior version of Precure or Lilpri although it would be enjoyable.

Sep 22, 2012 4:04 PM

Jan 2008
Hoppy said:
it would be a vastly superior version of Precure

After Heartcatch, I'm not even sure it's possible to 'vastly improve' upon Precure. It did pretty much every goddamn thing correctly and had a fantastic climax.

Still, I'll be watching this.
Oct 8, 2012 4:22 AM

Mar 2011
Anyone have any idea when it's set to air? Like what season?
Oct 8, 2012 6:08 AM

Jun 2012
I love Shaft but this doesnt look like my kind of anime.
Oct 15, 2012 4:39 AM
Oct 2012
2013 :(
Oct 15, 2012 5:00 AM

Nov 2011
ihateeveryone said:
Shaft? I'm watching.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Oct 15, 2012 5:03 AM

Oct 2007
Still no update... I'm wondering how are they gonna handle creating third Madoka movie, Prism Nana, Sasami, Nekomonogatari and Kizumonogatari at more or less the same time. I thought Prism Nana would be Winter season and Neko Spring but lack of info on Nana suggests it might air later. In this case other projects might get delayed as well. Well, it's Shaft, they most likely know what are they doing, we can only patiently wait.
Oct 29, 2012 7:40 PM
Sep 2012
PV 2
Oct 30, 2012 5:55 AM

Jul 2011
So the art style really do change every PV, it's still awesome though, i'm hyped again.

And the ghost-alike girl appear again, look like this anime could be more serious than it look.
Nov 23, 2012 8:19 PM

Nov 2011
I don't understand why this being dark somehow makes Shaft a one trick pony. This could be dark but in a totally different way than Madoka.

It's funny - there are like 75,000 Mahou Shoujo shows that AREN'T dark and maybe 2 that are, and yet going the dark route is now hack? Wouldn't a sweet, uplifting, positive Mahou Shoujo show be infinitely more hack than a dark one?
Nov 23, 2012 9:18 PM

Apr 2010
neontaster said:
I don't understand why this being dark somehow makes Shaft a one trick pony. This could be dark but in a totally different way than Madoka.

It's funny - there are like 75,000 Mahou Shoujo shows that AREN'T dark and maybe 2 that are, and yet going the dark route is now hack? Wouldn't a sweet, uplifting, positive Mahou Shoujo show be infinitely more hack than a dark one?

Its bad since if it is dark, they're just milking the success of Madoka, instead of making something new and exciting.

Nov 23, 2012 9:55 PM

Nov 2011
jmal said:
RyanSaotome said:
Its bad since if it is dark, they're just milking the success of Madoka, instead of making something new and exciting.

Isn't it missing the point to boil Madoka down to "dark mahou shoujo" as if that's the entirety of what makes Madoka what it is? Nothing about how well it was written, how well scenes were directed and executed, how sympathetic and memorable the characters were, how interesting the visual style, and so on? The "dark mahou shoujo" premise would be worthless and forgettable without all of that.

Just being serious mahou shoujo aimed at an adult male audience (if it is that) wouldn't make Prism Nana any sort of clone or ripoff, and certainly wouldn't stop it from being exciting. The only thing that can make Prism Nana "bad" is if the writing, direction, characters, visual style etc are bad. If it's a good show, the existence of Madoka wouldn't make it less good.

I also think you of all people should understand the fallacy of putting "originality purely for its own sake" on a pedestal as if it makes or breaks a show by itself.

Bingo. Dark Mahou Shoujo is just the subgenre. It's not an idea in itself. If pure originality is what you are looking for, then ANY kind of Mahou Shoujo should be out of the question to begin with, no?

Madoka wasn't good because it was dark. It was good because it was good, but it happened to be dark.

I fear that all this talk before the show even airs will lead to impossible levels of scrutiny, where every frame will be compared and contrasted to Madoka (oh look, the eyes look kinda sketched. SHAFT HAS NO NEW IDEAS!!!!) and that's just not fair. Obviously it will have similarities if it is made by the same people and is in the same subgenre. That doesn't mean it can't be its own thing and different from Madoka in many ways.

To me, if this show really is mature in the vein of Madoka, then all Shaft are doing here is saying: We have a new angle on Mahou Shoujo, and here are some examples of it. Better that than them shoehorning a Madoka sequel where there should be none.
Nov 23, 2012 10:35 PM
Sep 2011
neontaster said:

I don't think it's that, so much as it is the presentation.

One of the things that snared everyone's attentions is how Madoka used it's promotions, Hidamari Sketch character designs and cutesy opening to troll the viewers, shocking them with the true nature of it's series.

Now Prism Nana comes in cheering "Doki-doki!" and bearing character designs reminiscent of K-On and it's like... if they're gonna pull that same stunt again then it kind of cheapens the novelty of both Madoka and Prism Nana.
Nov 23, 2012 10:45 PM

Nov 2011
RLinksoul said:
neontaster said:

I don't think it's that, so much as it is the presentation.

One of the things that snared everyone's attentions is how Madoka used it's promotions, Hidamari Sketch character designs and cutesy opening to troll the viewers, shocking them with the true nature of it's series.

Now Prism Nana comes in cheering "Doki-doki!" and bearing character designs reminiscent of K-On and it's like... if they're gonna pull that same stunt again then it kind of cheapens the novelty of both Madoka and Prism Nana.

OK, I'll give you that. If they are going for a whole misdirection thing then it will be somewhat of a rerun of that one element, but we are still talking about something that basically has nothing to do with the show. I don't think the misdirection played a huge part in why I loved Madoka. In fact, I think they hid the show's true nature a little too well.

On the other hand, if you are going for a whole Dark Mahou Shoujo subgenre, then part of it would almost have to be that it starts off normal and takes a dark turn. In that case the whole "this looks fun and lighthearted" opening and look would qualify as a genre convention. How many mecha shows have a plot element that ensures that only kids can pilot the mecha? That doesn't mean that every new show that does that cheapens that whole concept.

I dunno, I'm just not terribly concerned about this. Ultimately I will judge this show by its own merit anyway. If they copy Madoka but do a phenomenal job, does it really matter?
Nov 23, 2012 10:50 PM

Jun 2012
Wonder if they'll troll us again and make this one more like your typical Mahou-Shoujo Anime with absolutely no dark themes in it...

neontaster said:
How many mecha shows have a plot element that ensures that only kids can pilot the mecha?
Not all that many... In regards to stuff like Gundam atleast.
Nov 23, 2012 10:57 PM

Dec 2010
Moe-level over 9000.

Not sure if I can stand such cuteness.

Nov 23, 2012 10:58 PM

Nov 2011
YorozuyaGinSan said:
neontaster said:
How many mecha shows have a plot element that ensures that only kids can pilot the mecha?
Not all that many... In regards to stuff like Gundam atleast.

I can name 3 off the top of my head (well, 2.5. In Full Metal Panic it's not that it has to be kids. It just happens to be a kid piloting the mecha and a kid commanding an advanced submarine) and I am far, far from an expert. I was just making a point about commonalities in shows of a similar nature. Put shounen and mecha together and you are likely to have some kind of excuse for why it has to be children doing the fighting.
Nov 23, 2012 11:18 PM

Jul 2011
From what i read in an interview's translation, Kubota Mitsutoshi (Shaft's president) : "But we're consciously believes we're making something different. The idea of making something different than Madoka is pushing us in a good direction."

Heck, even if they pull the same trick, like neontaster said, i won't judge the show just because of it. I like an anime simply because it's good imo and i really don't give a damn about 'deconstruction', 'dark mahou shoujo' or whatever because enjoyment is what matter most to me when watching an anime.
dreznovkNov 23, 2012 11:35 PM
Nov 24, 2012 11:02 AM

Mar 2012
I'm so going to watch this, but I hope it won't be like Madoka.
As someone said before, if it's like Madoka, it'll seem like they're just milking the success.
Nov 30, 2012 4:00 AM

Jul 2011
PV 3, it's Asuka this time.

Dec 1, 2012 10:41 AM

Oct 2007
Dat fighting scene. Green + Mami + Madoka. Can't wait, character design are actually great in this anime.
Dec 1, 2012 10:45 AM

Nov 2011
I definitely see this as being mature, but I doubt it will go the same route as Madoka (i.e tragedy).
Dec 2, 2012 2:37 AM
May 2012
Gawd! looks like PSMM.. I'll looki forward to it!! >D
Dec 2, 2012 4:37 AM

Aug 2011
dreznovk said:
PV 3, it's Asuka this time.

That Imai Asami, favourite character already.
Dec 2, 2012 3:51 PM

Apr 2011
I have a feeling this might surpass Madoka.
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Dec 2, 2012 5:32 PM

Apr 2011
I'm prepared for something melancholy
Dec 2, 2012 5:53 PM

Nov 2008
Asuka <3

Dec 27, 2012 4:48 AM

Nov 2012
aozoai said:
Scratch that. Finished Madoka yesterday and completely loved it. I would not mind at all if this show takes that route again - in fact, I'm hoping it does.

Agreed.
Jan 1, 2013 9:55 AM

Nov 2011
"Magic Engine."

Um... What?

Jan 1, 2013 10:14 AM

Sep 2012
Where was that rocket ship toy before it floated up, hmmm....

Plan to watch!
Jan 1, 2013 10:37 AM

Sep 2012
I like the art, but they are way too many reasons to hate on this anime, will I resist?
Jan 1, 2013 10:38 AM

Nov 2011
SetsukoHara said:
I like the art, but they are way too many reasons to hate on this anime, will I resist?

I don't see any reasons to hate or love it right now. It's not out yet, and it doesn't have source material we can judge. I am merely curious.
Jan 7, 2013 3:21 PM

Jul 2007
Since it seems no one had posted it yet:

PV 04, featuring Kotone <3
Jan 7, 2013 4:38 PM

Jul 2007
This will either be greatest thing ever (ala Madoka) or the worst thing ever(99% of the rest of magical girl genre) and frankly I STILL have no idea on which will it be.

in before Urobuchi Gen
AhenshihaelJan 7, 2013 4:51 PM
Jan 7, 2013 9:06 PM

Sep 2012
Fai said:
This will either be greatest thing ever (ala Madoka) or the worst thing ever(99% of the rest of magical girl genre) and frankly I STILL have no idea on which will it be.
If it is 99% of the magical genre, then it should be pretty good then!
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jan 8, 2013 4:44 PM

Feb 2012
I'm kinda confused though... The character design looks different in the PVs? or are those really different characters?

And yes, I do know that there are 2 different directors working on each PV alternatively.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
1 hour ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

4 by yamiyugi101 »»
2 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
5 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
6 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.