Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 3, 2013 11:42 PM

Jan 2012
This is the only good episode in the whole anime. You can advice people to watch this episode and add to completed. There is nothing to lose anymore.
May 4, 2013 3:49 AM
Aug 2011
Jaapsneep said:
Strategy said:
I watched this a few times to figure out when they actually died or if they had been dead from the beginning. I lost track of their shadows once the crane knocked the building down. So I think that's when they died together :x
Correct me if I'm wrong though or your ideas ^^;
Sharp :) That would explain why Zebra could see the man who jumped in front of the train as well

I wish I figured those out myself :(

Also, as said above, series proved to include supernatural elements.

In that case, I think the Shounen Bat is a tulpa. That explains everything. It changes its actions according to what people believe he is or he does.

Someone asked how they got a room, I think they just thought they got a room. Because I don't think they would let 2 men and a little girl into a room and into bath.
AdramelechMay 4, 2013 3:54 AM
May 7, 2013 9:37 PM

Aug 2007
It hit me that they were probably ghosts when the man who jumped in front of the train was able to leave the scene limping. Everyone made a fuss and were looking at his dead body, but no one really payed attention to him leaving.

It was an interesting episode, nonetheless. I'm guessing this was in place to show to emphasize that Lil' Slugger is most likely not a living human being. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say he isn't a ghost either, considering he ran away from them scared? Haha, I'm not sure.

Jun 6, 2013 10:27 AM

Jan 2013
This episode was great.
Jun 18, 2013 3:05 AM

Jul 2012
Regarding how they got the room and whatnot, I somewhat think that everyone in the hot spring is dead. "Shonen bat" is clearly wearing shonen bat attire yet the women don't really react to him. Unfortunately we never see anybody elses feet except shonen bat and the trio so I really cant confirm this, but it would certainly make sense especially when the old man claims "This is heaven," twice. Also, two things about shonen bat. Firstly, his bat had no blood after his attack. When the fake shonen bat was killed, there was blood. Secondly, the real shonen bat has ALWAYS been shown with shady eyes. So I believe the one that appeared in this episode was either a fake, or the dead impostor. Of course this contradicts why he has a shadow. Perhaps the shadow is symbolic? Or maybe shonen bat isn't a true person or living entity?
I wonder why they had horse/the crazy detective appear on the same board too. And why so much emphasis on animals. And the heck is up with that pink thing.

Man what a great episode
Jun 20, 2013 5:06 AM

Jan 2012
HOLY SHIT that ugly girl is annoying...

I write this as I watch so I haven't finished the episode yet, but I SO hope she dies.
Jun 21, 2013 7:52 PM
Sep 2009
Tsundora said:
This is the only good episode in the whole anime. You can advice people to watch this episode and add to completed. There is nothing to lose anymore.

Duno, loved first 2 episodes, possibly 3 and the last one.
Otherwise it became quiet a mess and this episode was so out of place to boot. While it was good, it just didn't seem to fit with the rest =/

Also they clearly died in the building. While most shots are in a shadow afterwards or crowd is missing one as well. There clearly is no shadow at the platform while everyone does have.
Though I fully realized that they are dead the same moment old man did.
kitten320Jun 21, 2013 7:56 PM
Sep 6, 2013 5:51 AM

Aug 2012
Brilliant episode, very unique.
I didn't realise they were dead...I probably was enjoying this episode too much.
Sep 9, 2013 9:25 AM
Sep 2013
"Happy family planning" in the japanese version is "Akarui katei keikaku". There was a TV dorama with such name (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%98%8E%E3%82%8B%E3%81%84%E5%AE%B6%E6%97%8F%E8%A8%88%E7%94%BB), may be there is some connection with it.
Oct 9, 2013 4:24 PM

Apr 2012
Wow i loved that episode, it was freakin awesome, all those scenes man, like the one where they were all ready in front of the train and some guy jumps first, or when they were there talking about the sounds they heard being a bear or a frog while in reality it was some guy getting killed, Amazing, im so glad i found this show.
Dec 6, 2013 7:38 PM

Mar 2013
Andddddd of course Mousou Dairinin's version of a comedy trope would be this disgruntling.

I am at a fucking loss for words. But I like it.
Dec 6, 2013 7:59 PM

Mar 2013
Also, they were all dead before the ending, but that doesn't mean all of them were dead before the episode began.

"What was the order they died in?" You ask. "Who was or wasn't dead before the episode?" You ask. "How are we completely certain they are dead?" You ask.

The first of the trope to die was also the only one dead before the episode began, and that would be.... the girl. Shown by how she just appears multiple times. This adds to the humor since the other two actually tried to keep her alive.

This is where things get tricky though, Zebra died second for sure, but this is also where my theory diverges. He died after the heavy pill bit or of being hung. If theory one is true then that explains him seeing the dead guy get out after the train incident. If that is not the case then the suicidal have such a connection to death they can see spirits.

And the Fuyubachi dies last after running out of pills and succumbing to his illness in the parking lot. He is already dead by the time he mentions and dismisses what he has been seeing this whole time, delusions. But you might ask, "How are we sure that he wasn't also dead early on?". Because there was definitely someone inside the sauna, notice how the attendants thought it strange that an old man was talking to himself. Also, Shonen Bat was going to kill Fuyubachi... Until two insane ghosts started chasing him, which scared the shit out of that super natural being.

Now I'm not going to call my logic flawless in this, but I think I layed out a pretty good interpretation of the events in this episode.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
Well my reasoning wasn't off base, but I didn't notice the shadow thing. Kamome still died first though, she died off screen after chasing Zebra and Fuyubachi. They died together after swallowing the pills which is when they can now also miraculously see Kamome who said she had been there. Everything except when they died fits in my original claim, I guess.
aLooserDec 6, 2013 8:11 PM
Jan 30, 2014 4:44 AM
Jul 2018
Brilliant episode. I too realized that they were already dead near the ending. How did they die though? Was it from the crane part? Zebra saw the ghost of the guy who jumped in front of the train so they were probably already dead by then.
Feb 28, 2014 5:29 AM

Nov 2008
I found it strange when they went out of the ruined building and nobody cared about what were doing two men and one little girl there.
Mar 15, 2014 12:11 PM

Jun 2013
KenShiRo-Sama said:
I found it strange when they went out of the ruined building and nobody cared about what were doing two men and one little girl there.

Why did these pedophilia thoughts even cross your mind? Hate to say it but it says something about you, most people wouldn't even think about it.
Apr 12, 2014 1:35 PM
Jan 2010
this episode was fucking unsettling
that fucking music
Jun 13, 2014 1:29 AM

Sep 2013
Shounen Bat has a pretty difficult job with pedophiles, ghosts, and whatnot.
Jul 2, 2014 6:19 PM

Jan 2014
Jaapsneep said:
Strategy said:
I watched this a few times to figure out when they actually died or if they had been dead from the beginning. I lost track of their shadows once the crane knocked the building down. So I think that's when they died together :x
Correct me if I'm wrong though or your ideas ^^;
Sharp :) That would explain why Zebra could see the man who jumped in front of the train as well

Ah, so it. And this will explain why the teen girls who photographed can't see they
Jul 11, 2014 9:31 PM
Aug 2013
KenShiRo-Sama said:
Yeah me too, but while this happened i was taking the episode as some kind of senseless joke. Not to mention about the dude who jumps of the train Amm itaiii (?)....

Another detail is the crows following them all along.

The people around was like as a part of the background so i lost interest in the surroundings and i didnt noticed about the shadows either.

I realized it was strange 'cause the creepy atmosphere and music and suspected. Pretty obvious after the photo. It was an amazing escene as the coins claps one by one: the crows - the saigo pill *again* - kanome has no shadow - then he turns his head backwards and notices himself neither has one, and so on. Again really a good scene.

BTW 'Zebra' is most probably a reference of Kons fav' writers Philip k Dick. Notice tha he had a golden necklace too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_K._Dick#Paranormal_experiences_and_mental_health_issues
Aug 15, 2014 7:05 PM

Jul 2010
Okay, first, wow.
One of the craziest and most unique things I have ever seen.

Gave me great NHK feels.
I absolutely loved this episode, thought it was incredibly hilarious. I didn't think I was so fond of morbid humor! But, I guess I wasn't watching closely as I should have, because I was surprised to find out they were ghosts when I read through this forum.
This anime can be so confusing! Such a change in pace with this episode. I thought it would be incredibly creepy from last episode's preview, but ended up being strangely hilarious. I was dying laughing when they were chasing after shounen bat.

Great, amazing episode. I can't believe something like NGNL is rated higher over this show, wow.
I still have trouble understanding the "family planning" ending and the whole idea that they were ghosts though. I may have to go back and rewatch this episode later on.
Aug 15, 2014 7:09 PM

Jul 2010
SparrowSabre7 said:
Slykain said:

yeah, same... D:

I think that might be why the little girl wanted to commit suicide, perhaps she was an unwanted child?

That's my guess too. But still, she also wasn't sad at all...which is why I think that her desire to die might have just been a passing whim, you know?
Aug 15, 2014 7:18 PM

Jul 2010
alpir said:
Brilliant episode, very unique.
I didn't realise they were dead...I probably was enjoying this episode too much.

Exactly, I was having just way too much fun. :)

ex_necross said:
KenShiRo-Sama said:

Why did these pedophilia thoughts even cross your mind? Hate to say it but it says something about you, most people wouldn't even think about it.

Err, rude much? I don't think he was emphasizing that it was two men and a little girl, but simply because these people came out of a ruined building and no one cared whether they were hurt or not, hence the ghost stuff.
Aug 23, 2014 1:58 PM

May 2012
In the beginning of the episode they still had their shadow, so they died when they took those sleeping meds as after that they didn't appear to have their shadows anymore which also explains why Zebra could see that death man walking... But I do wonder how that little girl died bes she didn't took the meds or did she? Either way this sure was a funny yet strange episode so let's see what's next!
Sep 11, 2014 9:03 AM

Jan 2013
That was so cute.
Nov 12, 2014 1:43 PM

Apr 2009
great episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 1, 2015 4:17 AM

Feb 2014
The entire episode I was wonder why the two men didn't die from overdose or at least show any effects, since they ate a fist full of pills. I realized they really were dead when the girls freaked out after seeing the photo. I guess they died from the falling rubble when the building was demolished. But then that doesn't explain how the shounen bat guy could see them. And this reminded me the suicide arc from Welcome to the NHK too.
Mar 24, 2015 3:47 AM
Dec 2013
Best ep of the whole series.
Apr 29, 2015 5:15 PM

May 2010
Honestly the best episode so far, even though it was pretty detached from all the other episodes. There was so much subtle story telling which I absolutely love. I should've realized earlier that they were dead but I didn't realize it until the girl taking the photo didn't say anything. Although this had a very sad subject matter, it did it with a touch of comedy and bittersweetness.
Jun 11, 2015 2:26 AM

Oct 2008
The show keeps moving and since you really never believe what you're seeing you overlook the obvious until they slap you in the face with it. Pretty clever episode, I found the episode both funny and depressing, that these 3 people who seemed to so enjoy eachother's company would want it to end. But I guess ultimately they got some sort of happiness. I did enjoy them scaring Shonen Bat away with their happiness, that's always a fun twist to see happen to the villain/bad guy.

On a negative note, the animation and art was very jarring in this epiosde at times. Character's faces in particular looked really bad, like when the girl was crying in the beginning, it was literally the worst anime crying face I've ever seen, her eyes looked out of position her face hardly moved as she made crying sounds, it felt so awkward and amateurish. Surprising to see in a Satoshi Kon anime.

PANDEMlCJun 11, 2015 2:31 AM
Sep 21, 2015 6:37 PM

Feb 2013
This episode was so damn funny, but i never pieced together everything till i came to this forum >.<

it's funny too, cause i complained/freaked out at the weird stuff that was happening like for instance

1. how the Hell they took so many pills and survived
2. Why after the crane everyone seemed to simply ignore them
3. HOW the hell that guy who jumped into the train came out "ok" and nobody seemed to care all that much
4. and that Picture with the girls towards the end, which really just emphasizes my 2nd point

Good episode, managing dark humor with deep meaning all in one schtick
Argue? Nah Too lazy For That...
Are You Ready!~Gulcasa
Sep 27, 2015 10:05 AM

Jul 2015
so they're dead.. wow okay

I just don't understand how this episode ties in with the rest of the anime (apart from the mentioning of Shounen Bat)
Oct 10, 2015 10:04 AM
May 2012

Things got clearer after reading the posts here. Thanks, guys.
And yeah, this episode reminded me of NHK ni Youkoso. Is meeting up to commit suicide really popular in Japan??
Nov 3, 2015 10:41 AM

Feb 2013
Alluka-Chama said:
Best ep of the whole series.

this

Jan 7, 2016 12:24 PM

May 2015
I really would have liked more insight on their past. Especially Zebra. They just show a picture of him with his lover, and then nothing. I want to know what happened to his lover. Did they break up, did he die, what? They give us information like that and then leave us hanging.

You guys who noticed the shadows are really smart. I wouldn't have thought to check something like that. Them being dead explains quite a bit, though. I was wondering how those two men could be alive after eating pills like tic tacs.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Jan 19, 2016 3:15 AM

Aug 2013
Brilliant episode.
Jan 30, 2016 2:35 PM

Dec 2015
I think the happy family planning was a metaphor between how they wanted to die and maybe life (through sex). I may be overthinking it though. Very enjoyable episode surprisingly and it was funny.
Jan 30, 2016 5:20 PM

Sep 2013
Thanks to this forum right now I know when they die together
Feb 28, 2016 1:48 PM

Jul 2013
sinnige69 said:
one more thing I'd like to point out. the two males of the group took a gratuitous amount of pills while they were in the condemned building. It would make sense that the effects weren't visible afterwards because they were all ghost after that point (or maybe the pills just made them trip out the whole time, after all the guy does say "delusions" at the end when he's in the parking lot)

This /\

Also when that computer chatting started I figured it out they were unknown to each other and they were planning to commit suicide and the NHK offline meeting suddenly came in my mind. I just realized they could be dead almost in the end tho when Fuyubachi mumbled about delusion and I saw they had no shadows (at first I thought it was lack of quality lol).

SparrowSabre7 said:
Just me? Or did you guys think the animation quality was a bit lower this ep?

lmao I know right, lack of budget I guess? hhahah the difference between ep 7 and 8 is considerable.
overall I enjoyed it, good ep.
charlerwFeb 28, 2016 2:01 PM
Mar 3, 2016 3:11 AM
Sep 2015
An accurate summary of me when I finished the episode http://49.media.tumblr.com/1b2ceff8602fd98806cd4e2a353d2748/tumblr_nhvt36hTBX1tlv1j8o4_400.gif

Also what was the point of the moment where the old dude saw inside the other guys locket and saw a picture of his boyfriend?
May 21, 2016 3:43 PM

Jul 2015
I adore this episode because I feel that the three people symbolized that the idea of death is in the minds of all, young, mid-age, or old.
Jun 26, 2016 1:10 AM

Feb 2016
Wow the first episode that really got me. Very intriguing and mysterious as well as surprising since they were dead already.
Jul 14, 2016 8:06 PM

Jan 2016
Pretty confortable to come here.. What a peaceful thread; no butthurt.. No troll.. Conversations are good too

This is the best episode of series, i think. The settings are dark and creepy, but in the same time it's really fun. I laughed a lot at some parts. Anyway im just curious by their looking. Seems fuyubachi and Zebra is not from japan or somethin..? Those unique backpack from the start are caught in my eyes too. So i think there's possibility that they are already dead in the first place.

crazyruffian said:
2. i think that ZEBRA and FUYUBACHI died after inhaling the smoke in the building. on one hand, KAMOME died even before that. when she called fuyubachi, he just ignored it. she was last seen at the bridge looking at them (there is no hint how she died, but im pretty sure that she committed suicide after that). take note that after the two men inhaled the smoke, the girl appeared and they saw one another (because they were all dead already).

Nah i think there's possibilities too with this. First time i watched this, it was kind of irritating when fuyubachi tried to ignore her. Kinda weird and funny too when both fuyubachi and zebra wasn't going to be dead after inhealing CO2 in that portion. That's how i realized that they are dead :( In the forest, kamome also said that she didn't want to be left alone.. So it is pretty sure if she suicide herself because of that.
We did this every day that summer. There wasn’t a day we missed.

"I love you, air conditioner."
Aug 24, 2016 1:23 PM

Aug 2015
Regarding the Happy Family Planning, I thought it was an indication to how those three became a family together. You see, logically you wouldn't be able to create a family (have children) if you use a condom. But if the condom breaks--if an accident happens--you could still get a child. I think that was foreshadowing.

Zebra and Fuyubachi didn't want Komome and tried to prevent ''having her as child''/accomplice by running away (trying to prevent having a child by using a condom), but she still ended up following them and finding them in that house. Though the ad said ''super thin condoms'', I thought that was a nod to how shallow Zebra and Fuyubachi had planned to keep Komome away (they only ran, they never thought it through. Their plans were ''thin''). By accident, without Zebra and Fuyubachi's intention, she also inhaled the gass and died with them, giving her no other place to return to then to stay by their sides. The three of them became a family through an accident (i.e. condom breaks by accident, child is made and becomes part of the family/i.e. she inhales the gas by accident and dies, they accept her into their mismatched family).

Then they became a happy family (''Happy Family Planning''), as seen in the end where they're smiling and having fun.

In short, I thought the ad meant something like: even though you planned against a family, you could still become a family and be happy.
...At least let me finish.

Sep 11, 2016 1:41 PM

Apr 2015
Wow, this episode was darkly comic. Pleasant change from the norm. My favorite scene was the group chasing after Lil' Slugger so he can kill them while comic chase music plays in the background.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 11, 2016 5:24 PM

Nov 2012
What a dark comedy. But I love it.

Starisametaphor said:
Then they became a happy family (''Happy Family Planning''), as seen in the end where they're smiling and having fun.

In short, I thought the ad meant something like: even though you planned against a family, you could still become a family and be happy.

For me this is a message to people since most Japanese has divorce rate higher than other Asia country.

Also, this episode made me remember Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers
Oct 29, 2016 3:57 PM
Sep 2016
I loved this episode, definitely my favorite episode for now and i laughed so hard when the girls looked horrified at the picture.
Nov 16, 2016 11:32 AM

Mar 2014
Worst episode of all. If they were ghosts and didn't realize it, how did they enter the bath and book rooms there? Just lazy writing overall. I am starting to realize that for the sake of a good watching experience, Kon puts in a lot of contradictions, and personally, thats not to my liking.
Nov 16, 2016 11:34 AM

Mar 2014
Astrith said:
TheBaconAbyss said:
What about the hotel staff women who kinda just stood there and watched them go down the stairs...dead too or just unaware of whats happening?

They hotel staff women saw Lil' Slugger go down the stairs, but Kept their focus in that direction. When the trio followed him, they still were looking down the stairs, so I'm guessing that they couldn't see the ghosts.

But then how did they enter the bath without realizing they were ghosts themselves?
Nov 16, 2016 9:31 PM

Sep 2013
Awesome episode. One of the few times I've gone back and rewatched an episode while freeze framing it along the way to look for hidden clues.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Dec 10, 2016 6:04 AM

Nov 2012
The last scene was a certain, obvious indication of their death. but that scene when Zebra was able to see the guy after being hit by the train was questionable, i just thought the show was fucking up with the viewers, cause there's no way a human being could survive getting hit by a train. the possibility of them being already dead never occurred to me. that's also the reason behind the sense of "disconnection" to the rest of the world, the three of them never had a conversation with any other person at all. it all made perfect sense by the time you reach the end of the episode.

What a brilliant episode, from concept to execution.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

90 by pennyisirl »»
Apr 21, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

katsup - Apr 3, 2008

215 by mbarseru »»
Mar 21, 4:16 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

68 by LithiumHead9 »»
Mar 6, 1:01 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

63 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 2:41 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

62 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 1:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.