Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 26, 2016 1:10 AM

Feb 2016
Wow the first episode that really got me. Very intriguing and mysterious as well as surprising since they were dead already.
Jul 14, 2016 8:06 PM

Jan 2016
Pretty confortable to come here.. What a peaceful thread; no butthurt.. No troll.. Conversations are good too

This is the best episode of series, i think. The settings are dark and creepy, but in the same time it's really fun. I laughed a lot at some parts. Anyway im just curious by their looking. Seems fuyubachi and Zebra is not from japan or somethin..? Those unique backpack from the start are caught in my eyes too. So i think there's possibility that they are already dead in the first place.

crazyruffian said:
2. i think that ZEBRA and FUYUBACHI died after inhaling the smoke in the building. on one hand, KAMOME died even before that. when she called fuyubachi, he just ignored it. she was last seen at the bridge looking at them (there is no hint how she died, but im pretty sure that she committed suicide after that). take note that after the two men inhaled the smoke, the girl appeared and they saw one another (because they were all dead already).

Nah i think there's possibilities too with this. First time i watched this, it was kind of irritating when fuyubachi tried to ignore her. Kinda weird and funny too when both fuyubachi and zebra wasn't going to be dead after inhealing CO2 in that portion. That's how i realized that they are dead :( In the forest, kamome also said that she didn't want to be left alone.. So it is pretty sure if she suicide herself because of that.
We did this every day that summer. There wasn’t a day we missed.

"I love you, air conditioner."
Aug 24, 2016 1:23 PM

Aug 2015
Regarding the Happy Family Planning, I thought it was an indication to how those three became a family together. You see, logically you wouldn't be able to create a family (have children) if you use a condom. But if the condom breaks--if an accident happens--you could still get a child. I think that was foreshadowing.

Zebra and Fuyubachi didn't want Komome and tried to prevent ''having her as child''/accomplice by running away (trying to prevent having a child by using a condom), but she still ended up following them and finding them in that house. Though the ad said ''super thin condoms'', I thought that was a nod to how shallow Zebra and Fuyubachi had planned to keep Komome away (they only ran, they never thought it through. Their plans were ''thin''). By accident, without Zebra and Fuyubachi's intention, she also inhaled the gass and died with them, giving her no other place to return to then to stay by their sides. The three of them became a family through an accident (i.e. condom breaks by accident, child is made and becomes part of the family/i.e. she inhales the gas by accident and dies, they accept her into their mismatched family).

Then they became a happy family (''Happy Family Planning''), as seen in the end where they're smiling and having fun.

In short, I thought the ad meant something like: even though you planned against a family, you could still become a family and be happy.
...At least let me finish.

Sep 11, 2016 1:41 PM

Apr 2015
Wow, this episode was darkly comic. Pleasant change from the norm. My favorite scene was the group chasing after Lil' Slugger so he can kill them while comic chase music plays in the background.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 11, 2016 5:24 PM

Nov 2012
What a dark comedy. But I love it.

Starisametaphor said:
Then they became a happy family (''Happy Family Planning''), as seen in the end where they're smiling and having fun.

In short, I thought the ad meant something like: even though you planned against a family, you could still become a family and be happy.

For me this is a message to people since most Japanese has divorce rate higher than other Asia country.

Also, this episode made me remember Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers
Oct 29, 2016 3:57 PM
Sep 2016
I loved this episode, definitely my favorite episode for now and i laughed so hard when the girls looked horrified at the picture.
Nov 16, 2016 11:32 AM

Mar 2014
Worst episode of all. If they were ghosts and didn't realize it, how did they enter the bath and book rooms there? Just lazy writing overall. I am starting to realize that for the sake of a good watching experience, Kon puts in a lot of contradictions, and personally, thats not to my liking.
Nov 16, 2016 11:34 AM

Mar 2014
Astrith said:
TheBaconAbyss said:
What about the hotel staff women who kinda just stood there and watched them go down the stairs...dead too or just unaware of whats happening?

They hotel staff women saw Lil' Slugger go down the stairs, but Kept their focus in that direction. When the trio followed him, they still were looking down the stairs, so I'm guessing that they couldn't see the ghosts.

But then how did they enter the bath without realizing they were ghosts themselves?
Nov 16, 2016 9:31 PM

Sep 2013
Awesome episode. One of the few times I've gone back and rewatched an episode while freeze framing it along the way to look for hidden clues.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Dec 10, 2016 6:04 AM

Nov 2012
The last scene was a certain, obvious indication of their death. but that scene when Zebra was able to see the guy after being hit by the train was questionable, i just thought the show was fucking up with the viewers, cause there's no way a human being could survive getting hit by a train. the possibility of them being already dead never occurred to me. that's also the reason behind the sense of "disconnection" to the rest of the world, the three of them never had a conversation with any other person at all. it all made perfect sense by the time you reach the end of the episode.

What a brilliant episode, from concept to execution.
Dec 30, 2016 5:33 PM

Jan 2016
I was warned about Episode 8... and I am certainly surprised at its outcome. This made me laugh quite a few times even though I'm not sure I should have, and I've never seen an episode of any medium that is both heartwarming but also disturbing until now.

I'm sure most theories here are correct at the fact they died when the building was torn down, and are living on as ghosts. However I noticed some interesting facts:

'FOX' or Kozuka, the fake shounen bat, was suicidal before he was arrested
The real Shounen Bat can see ghosts.
The Detective spreading his facts through radio last episode worked as rumors have spreaded successfully.

This was quite the episode. If the animation wasn't choppy in some parts it would be a straight 10/10.
Jan 1, 2017 7:54 AM
Apr 2016
ButadonMeitante said:

This was quite the episode. If the animation wasn't choppy in some parts it would be a straight 10/10.

I don't know, sometimes I felt the animation was kinda off to give that "something isn't right" feeling. Probably not intentional, but worked with me.

SpikeCB said:
Astrith said:

They hotel staff women saw Lil' Slugger go down the stairs, but Kept their focus in that direction. When the trio followed him, they still were looking down the stairs, so I'm guessing that they couldn't see the ghosts.

But then how did they enter the bath without realizing they were ghosts themselves?

Why should they? We don't see them interact with anyone nor do we see them do anything that would give away they are already dead. Even if they did realize they are already dead, as presumably the old man does at the end, he seems to easily ignore/forget that. Maybe they did realize but ended up denying it.
Jan 9, 2017 6:26 AM

Jan 2017
I have a interesting question for ya all.The shonen bat we see...is the dead one or the real one?

I personally have no idea. XD
*meme*
Feb 18, 2017 2:30 AM
Jul 2018
The noose scene LMAO
Feb 18, 2017 5:45 PM

Jun 2012
Interesting episode, I initially thought I was on the wrong episode.

Mar 15, 2017 8:02 AM

Jan 2016
Weirdly awesome episode, even though i'm not sure how it fits in the storyline.
Mar 27, 2017 9:39 PM
Jul 2018
had high expectations for the episode when i. noticed the unusually high comment count compared to the others. didnt disappoint
Apr 1, 2017 9:56 PM

Jan 2016
WickedHeroine said:
Really enjoyable episode. Since I love this kind of insanity, the black humor was amazingly funny. I don't know who comes up with this stuff, but they are brilliant. I wasn't even suspecting that twist in the plot, but I should've realized after the train suicide incident.

Navaroas said:

Ghosts were chasing Shounen Bat. Hah.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that they were chasing Fox, their friend from the internet and the copycat. They just thought it was Shonen Bat because they didn't yet know they were dead and could see other ghosts.
I agree, it took him a little bit to realise they weren't cornered and he didn't have the same presence the real shounen bat does, freaking out at being chased
May 5, 2017 4:30 PM
May 2017
crazyruffian said:
1. the title HAPPY FAMILY PLANNING is like a metaphor to what they were doing for the whole episode. you cannot expect to have a child if you are wearing a condom during an intercourse. likewise, all their suicide attempts failed because they were all dead in the first place (you cannot expect to die if you are already dead).

2. i think that ZEBRA and FUYUBACHI died after inhaling the smoke in the building. on one hand, KAMOME died even before that. when she called fuyubachi, he just ignored it. she was last seen at the bridge looking at them (there is no hint how she died, but im pretty sure that she committed suicide after that). take note that after the two men inhaled the smoke, the girl appeared and they saw one another (because they were all dead already).

You are probably right she died before the 2 guys. They did not see her before they lay down after taking the pills. So they probably died of Gas/pills and then they could hear her.
May 9, 2017 7:35 AM

Dec 2015
They were so casual about killing themselves lol but that ending, jeez this anime just keeps confusing the hell out of me.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
May 20, 2017 1:31 PM
Sep 2016
God dammit, I must be some kind of retard: I didn't even realize they were dead until I popped in here.

In any event, Lil Slugger can't be the ghost of the imposter as he has a shadow.
TrevRockOneMay 20, 2017 1:49 PM
Aug 14, 2017 12:32 PM

Jun 2014
Despeaux said:
he looked down at the girls legs to see that there was no shadow...

the last pill he sees in the parking lot, but he had already taken it at the beginning of the episode

and the significance of zebra being gay as a connection to why he wanted to die, anyone?
wtf i just realized that , fucking genius episode lol
Sep 16, 2017 4:32 AM
Apr 2017
I think they were already dead when they were in the abandoned house. They took a lot of pills and inhaled poisonous substance. And when they were in the train station, Zebra saw the ghost of the guy who jumped in the rails because they were already fellow ghosts. And the fact that those three bathed in the same hot spring including the little girl which is not allowed is because they're already dead. Moments later Shounen Bat who I think is FOX their friend showed up in the inn and the only conclusion I've got is he can see them but got surprised because he didn't really met them and known that those were his friends from online. And finally Fuyubachi only realized they were already dead when he saw the others that they didn't have shadows.

I think the "Happy Family Planning Condoms" holds a deep meaning.

-Always wear protection because you cant be certain whether your children are gonna be happy throughout their life and of course end up committing suicide like those three. (LOL)
Nov 7, 2017 1:52 PM
Jul 2018
I think they died eating those pills, and Konome died away from them (she killed herself alone, exactly like she didn't want to). That explains why she suddenly appears after they've taken the pills. She was already there but they only saw her when they themselves died. After the abandoned building is destroyed we don't see them with any shadows either.

Overall really interesting and funny episode. I only noticed what was going on towards the end which was really surprising considering the number of hints.

EDIT: I just realized that in Ep. 6 Sagi is hit by an invisible shounen bat, just like Konome appears invisible until the two bois kill themselves. Also something weird is that apparently the events of Ep. 6 and 7 have already happened but for some reason Shounen Bat still has a shadow (so he is not Kozuka?) and for some reason the three of them do not recognize him as Kozuka (did they think he was a spirit of some sort? but then why didn't they ever question the fact he doesn't go through walls like he apparently did with Kozuka?)
removed-userNov 7, 2017 2:00 PM
Nov 13, 2017 8:23 AM

Oct 2015
tHiS Is veRy RelAtaBle IndEeD
Dec 15, 2017 10:26 PM

Nov 2012
So when Kamome called Fuyubachi and Zebra from the bridge I think she wanted to tell them she thought of a way they could commit suicide together and when she saw they ignored her call she decided to do it alone and wait for them on the otherside. The 2nd time the phone rings when they're in the abandoned building is Kamome 'calling' them from the otherside and Fuyubachi and Zebra answer the call and can see her now that they're dead. And when Kamome says "You can't leave me behind like that" i think she means not dying with her and making her wait for them..
Dec 18, 2017 5:06 PM

Mar 2017
Well, what i think is that the "Happy Family Planning" title in union with that condoms machine means that they could not have children even if they did not use condoms, not taking into account adoption (because the girl is too young, the tall one is gay and the old man cannot get a boner. Besides they are dead). But even if they could not make a family bounded by blood, they did make family bounded by a shared objective: to find death.

The three of them were united thanks to the joy they had trying to die. And what i realized this chapter tries to communicate is that there is something that unites us all. Man or woman, white or brown or black, tall or short, hetero or bi or homo or pansexual, young or mature or old, etc. We are all bounded by death. And as so, they became a family full of joy.

Thats what this episode tries to communicate, imo.
Oct 27, 2018 1:46 AM

Feb 2018
absolutely genius episode
took me a while to make me realize what is really happening
Jan 2, 2019 1:09 AM

Dec 2016
interesting episode but i get the feeling imma need to rewatch it to understand every little thing that's going on (didn't notice that they didn't have shadows till i read it here, for instance). wonder if that was the real shounen bat (who's being haunted by ghosts from the past) or the imposter shounen bat that was murdered in the police station. really wish we could have found out their reasons for killing themselves though.

Treefingers said:
Happy Family Planning CONDOMS.
You see, you can't expect a family if you keep wearing condoms...just like you can't expect to kill yourself if you're already dead.

shit that's well analysed
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Mar 3, 2019 1:05 PM
Aug 2017
Very bizarre episode. The scene where they were hanging was pretty uncomfortable.

A lot of things you guys said that I didn't pick up on. I didn't even realise the twist was that they were ghosts until you guys said lol.

Very dark episode. The issues this show brings up in regards to technology and the internet is even more relevant now, 15 years later now the world has truly submitted to the web.
May 17, 2019 10:42 AM
Jul 2018
amusing episode, this is great from start to finish.
Aug 15, 2019 1:32 PM
Jul 2018
They couldn't see the girl in the building until they took in the pills and she suddenly appeared in the room. It's not that she just appeared, she was there all along. It wasn't until they died from the pills (not the building being destroyed) that suddenly they could see her. Which is a really cool thing to discover after watching it again.
Sep 2, 2019 2:07 PM

Feb 2017
*Kenshiro voice*

Karera wa mou shinde iru
Sep 29, 2019 11:12 AM

Oct 2013
One of the best if not the best episodes of this anime up until now. Sad, but beautiful at the same time. They died in the beginning, yet after their deaths they found joy and became a family. I must say they looked more alive when they were actually alive.
โœจSaint Seiya Club๐ŸŒ 
Oct 11, 2019 2:58 AM

Jun 2015
This episode was very black. I laughed more than I should have.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Dec 18, 2019 1:13 PM
Jan 2018
That is an outstanding episode, so it's a real shame it was drawn so poorly. For me, the trio's lack of shadows looked erroneous rather than intentional, however that is not the reason I decided to write a comment.

My overall speculations might be wrong, but there is one thing I am 100% sure. If you are ready for a train of thought, have a look at this haiku by Murakami Kijou:

ๅ†ฌ่œ‚ใฎๆญปใซใฉใ“ใ‚ใชใๆญฉใใ‘ใ‚Š (fuyubachi no shinidokoro naku arukikeri), which roughly translates into: "with no place to die, a winter bee [Fuyubachi] keeps going". That's exactly what happens in the episode, and the characters ๅ†ฌ่œ‚ for Fuyubachi and the bee are the same. In my opinion, that must be a tribute to Kijou.

After such a discovery I tried to explain why Zebra and Kamome were given their names, too, but my reasoning was a bit silly. I suppose that since no classical haiku could tell about zebras, the young fellow was named like that to match the bee, another striped creature, thus to oppose the men more against Kamome.

As for the girl, she writes her name in hiragana as ใ‹ใ‚‚ใ‚, while in Fuyubachi's contacts Kamome is written in katakana (ใ‚ซใƒขใƒก). That might also be a sign of Fuyubachi distancing himself from her (as if hers was a foreigner's name). But the interesting thing here is that hiragana Kamome is an old express train, this fact might explain her obsession with trains, however I still prefer to think that her name derives from a bird (้ดŽ, a seagull), not a train :D I couldn't find a haiku that would perfectly fit the episode, the closest hit was the following winter haiku by Bashou:

ๆฐดๅฏ’ใๅฏๅ…ฅใ‚Šใ‹ใญใŸใ‚‹้ดŽใ‹ใช (mizu samuku neirikanetaru kamome kana), which means "cold in the water, a seagull can't sleep". If I am not mistaken and Satoshi Kon actually meant to refer to this haiku, the sleeping process here may correspond to dying which was impossible for Kamome just as it was for Fuyubachi.
Jan 15, 2020 1:08 PM
Apr 2016
Supernatural it is then. So, Shounen Bat has always been dead, huh? So that explains why those guys couldn't kill themselves despite trying insanely effective methods - they were dead and thus objectively could not die. Strange episode; but it does explain stuff.
Jan 19, 2020 12:40 PM
Apr 2018
What really blew my mind was considering that these suicidal cases were denied their ultimate goal...death. We assume when our body dies our conciousness dies with it. However, given we don't know what happens on the other side we can't really say whether it does or doesn't. So suicide cases expect a void of nothingness but it's a false promise like the friends realized.

I disagree it's a filler episode. We know that the LARPer, Fox-kun, they took into custody also had desires to kill himself because he was a part of their group. So the guilt that the detectives are feeling is not warranted because he wanted to die all along and not as a result of interrogations. Possibly in future episodes, Maniwa could start to feel his own sense of "wanting out" spurred by Fox-kun's death. So it's less of a filler episode and more of bring the aniexity of the case and situation to the detectives. Maniwa is already having night terrors about Lil Slugger. I wonder if he'll participate in the delusion.

The series has been pretty bland for me compared to a lot of Kon's other work. But THIS episode really shows the social commentary that he was known for.
Feb 17, 2020 5:25 AM
Oct 2015
I feel like the real point of this episode was to show us that Kozuka had maybe a split personality in addition to having psychosis. That split personality is Fox. This is just a theory.

Since Zebra was able to see the spirit of the guy that jumped in front of the train and since the girls at the end were only able to see the spirits of Zebra, Fuyubachi, and Kamome in a photograph (or through the camera), I want to assume that Shounen Bat is a spirit as well. Although, this doesn't explain why others are able to see him (like the victims and the lady that was going upstairs with a tray).

But anyway, I feel like after Kozuka got literally cornered by the police, his split personality, Fox, killed him in order to be free and continue taking revenge on people. I just don't understand why he wants revenge.
Mar 7, 2020 2:40 PM

Apr 2018
Honestly, my favorite episode so far. I haven't noticed that they were dead the whole time until the very end, even though some things seemed off. I wonder if next episodes will be as good as this one
Mar 13, 2020 9:45 PM
takodachi

Jan 2020
Damn this already became my favorite episode but after reading others explanation, the episode just got 10x even better. Might comeback to rewatch this episode very now and then

๐’ซ๐‘œ๐“… ๐’ถ ๐“…๐’พ๐“๐“ ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐‘”๐‘’๐“‰ ๐’พ๐“‚๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‡๐“‰๐’ถ๐“๐’พ๐“๐‘’๐’น
๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“Š๐‘”๐’ฝ๐“‰ ๐“…๐“‡๐‘œ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ ๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡๐“‡๐’พ๐’น๐‘’
๐’ซ๐“Š๐“‡๐’พ๐’ป๐“Ž ๐“‚๐“Ž ๐“…๐‘œ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐’น ๐“‚๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’น

Mar 16, 2020 9:09 PM

Sep 2017
This episode got kiiinda close to crossing the line on making suicide a laughing matter, to the point that I'd be hesitant to introduce this show to certain people who've been deeply affected by suicide. Although, it's just as likely anyone who's been suicidal/been deeply affected by a suicide would appreciate it precisely because it makes light of the hardest thing to make light of. Depends on the person. Ultimately, I think it still came off as genuine; it's hard to not love the makeshift-family-unit trope, it's what makes Tokyo Godfathers arguably my favorite of Kon's work.
LordQuazMar 16, 2020 9:19 PM
Mar 22, 2020 10:13 AM
Jun 2019
this episode and the second one are my favs so far, i realized they were dead when the old man saw his last pill and saw he and the others has no shadow, very sutil episode and very disturbing ending
Mar 27, 2020 10:04 AM

Nov 2011
But what is the connection between that mascot character and the dead?:o They were all wearing backpacks made of it. It seems to be at the epicenter of all of this. Looked like it was the one that knocked out the designer in that one interrogation scene as well. hmmmmmmmmmmm
Apr 4, 2020 11:16 PM

Apr 2015
That's what I call beauty.
Apr 11, 2020 2:24 AM
Apr 2016
Holy shit i didn't relized
it makes sense because they can see that man who jumped in front of the train and they had no shadows too.
Apr 24, 2020 10:43 AM

Nov 2007
Bruh wtf
Great episode. Reminds me of a similar arx of welcome to the NHK. But in that show there were some normal people compared to this.
Apr 30, 2020 11:09 PM
Sep 2017
Very relaxing episode indeed lmfao.

Also, I agree that the trios is already dead.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 5, 2020 4:01 AM

Apr 2017
A group of people who want to commit suicide. People of all ages and genders.

A photo taken by that girl may suggest that a group of three are actually dead and became ghosts. Now they are wandering around the world. It is a bit
like the kind of purgatory, they would like to escape.
May 28, 2020 8:30 AM

May 2016
This might've looked like an unrelated filler episode at first but it was actually a really creative way of confirming the existence of the supernatural in the show. I initially thought that the happy music that played as they tried to kill themselves was screwed up but that's dark humor for you~ They even showed the impostor's ghost having fun from beyond the grave.

This was really well done and I liked the trio, wishing that they'd somehow reconsider their actions and live happily together for each other's sake and they're technically doing that but they're already dead ever since the first fourth of the episode all along... I saw the inconsistencies and only thought about them being ghosts when they photobombed those girls but I didn't expect them to achieve their goal so early on. No wonder that all those pills the two swallowed looked like it didn't have an effect on them.

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

90 by pennyisirl »»
Apr 21, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

katsup - Apr 3, 2008

215 by mbarseru »»
Mar 21, 4:16 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

68 by LithiumHead9 »»
Mar 6, 1:01 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

63 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 2:41 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

62 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 1:45 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.