Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 14, 2012 12:29 AM

Aug 2011
wasn't so good as I expected, but was ok.
Jul 14, 2012 8:38 AM
May 2010
2japanese4me

ED is amazing though.
Jul 18, 2012 10:31 AM

Jun 2008
Kallen_R2 said:

I'm a huge slice of life whore, I'll definitely watch all of this lol.
!

Emm...This isn't slice of life. It's dialog gag comedy.
Jul 18, 2012 9:34 PM

Jul 2012
I didn't enjoy this at all I didn't enjoy this at all I didn't enjoy this at all I did NOT find 5 girls talking about nothing important at all even the least bit enjoyable I swear.

If only the character designs were better and more moe. And oh my gosh, why are so many ED themes this season so good?
Jul 30, 2012 10:55 PM

Aug 2008
Oh wow... I can't believe they actually mentioned the Kuril Islands dispute with Russia at the end (although the terms for "Kuril Islands" weren't used, it was extremely obvious when they shouted at Russia, which was north of Hokkaido, to give back their land).

Other than that, fun show. I'll stick to it.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Jul 31, 2012 5:02 PM

Jun 2012
I didn't have that high expectations coming into this so I think it's pretty good.
I like the dialoguey stuff and I enjoyed the culture-politics part of the SZS manga so I think I'll enjoy it.

I also LOVE the ED.
‎"Our everyday lives may, in fact, be a series of miracles." - Nichijou
Aug 1, 2012 4:10 AM

May 2010
Great anime.Love how much random is the ending song but is catchy & fun at the same time.Love it.

Can someone tell me why their name are so long?
Aug 6, 2012 12:02 PM

Jan 2011
Great episode, I didn't understand most of the puns, especially with the one with the sea and shouting stuff but it was still a lot of fun to watch for some reason.
I'm looking forward to more.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Aug 6, 2012 2:50 PM
Apr 2012
ahmed_great2005 said:

Their names written in phonetic kanji.
Their names are also puns:
tvtropes said:

All five of the girls. We have Buratei Marii ("Bloody Mary"), Haroukitei Kigurumi ("Hello Kitty Stuffed Animal"), Bouhatei Tetora ("Breakwater Tetrapod"), Kuurubiyuutei Gankyou ("Cool Beauty Glasses"), and Anrakutei Kukuru ("Dark and Gloomy").
Aug 8, 2012 7:16 PM

Jul 2012
Wow, I think it's pretty entertaining even I don't really understand all of their joke. I hope I understand them all, as it would be much more entertaining. Oh well...

Anyway, yeah I like the pace of changing topic. I didn't even notice sometime that they've changed the topic, haha.

Toshino Kyoko!!!
Aug 12, 2012 12:02 PM
Dec 2011
I am not sure whether or not I'm going to stick with it, as not everything was clear to me, but the episode was definitely enjoyable. It's a good change to see a slow-paced series with no action at all - hell, without much movement even! - albeit with a lot of humor, gags and various references. Funny, light-hearted and relaxing - enough to keep me interested. Let's see how long I'll stick with it.

7.5/10
Aug 17, 2012 7:24 PM

Jul 2012
Dropped.

Didn't really like it, nor the characters. The whole "let's just talk" thing was boring for me. I'm not saying it'll be boring for you too but I personally don't like that. It was SLIGHTLY funny. I actually got majority of the jokes but they just weren't that funny. I laughed at the 犬 [dog] joke and "You probably watch anime for free" part.

OP and ED are okay but nothing memorable. The animating dance is cute though.

Character names are kinda hard to remember so I just call them "perky blonde girl", "angry orange girl", "evil sadako", "glasses girl" and "purple ponytail"

Not gonna give it a rating mostly cuz I only watched one episode. I don't wanna affect the mean average either.
Sep 4, 2012 12:02 PM

Sep 2012
What the fuck did I just saw. I was prepared since it the same author than SZS, but I just forgot how to breath during the episode, and the ending just kill me. I think I'm going to love this anime. So much reference, so much fun in their dialogues. *__*
Sep 20, 2012 12:50 PM

May 2012
This looks very promising. The beginning part and the ED were really enjoyable, I also liked the kanji part xD

Concerning the butthurt of some people above... can't a person have his own opinion, it's not like he's an official spokesperson for Japan or whatever. In the end, it's a mere joke.
Sep 24, 2012 8:58 PM
Jun 2011
I'm watching the spiritual successor to Lucky Star.
This one that is aware that it is about nothing and that people with any expectations will bitch.
It thus warns us, not once, but twice in the first ep that we'll probably be bored to tears.

Oh and there was something about a naked chick in there somewhere, but I was too busy trying to figure out what the jokes to care.

It's wikiwalk: the anime, and I want to watch more!
I go by many names, some call me Hoshimaru, others call me Jiro or Aosou-Kun.
I believe myself a force for good, a papercrafter by trade, and one who seeks love and beauty animesque.

I am the host of the youtube show Who Would You Do?
Nov 27, 2012 4:03 AM

Jan 2012
another garbage anime

I feel sorry for voice actors in this show.

insta-drop and notasinglefuckwasgiven.jpg
Dec 3, 2012 5:27 PM

Nov 2011
The fuck did I just watch? LOL @ ending also. That song..
Dec 23, 2012 4:18 PM

May 2012
A show of nothing, well lets see if they can pull it off like Lucky Star did! Not the best start I would say although the characters are rather nice and well lets give this a try, the ED is quite awesome though!
Jan 5, 2013 7:14 AM

Jan 2012
A masterpiece!
Mar 10, 2013 5:30 AM

Oct 2009
Seems fun enough.
Apr 8, 2013 1:18 PM

Dec 2012
this show is blatantly a parody, you can't take it at face value
Sep 6, 2013 10:47 PM

Oct 2012
Bakayaro!!
Give it back!! Give our money is the most hillarious xD

Wow addictive OP & ED

razorblade81 said:
furuuru said:

like this.

Hahaha, yeah, I was laughing at my free sub downloaded episode!

Lol this is so precise

kihira said:
jimjameswhatever said:
kihira said:
japanese butthurt that koreans surpassed in tech field. "give back the technology" <- in other word admitting that korea surpassed japanese in tech.

I don't think that line represents the sentiments of all of Japan lmao. If anything, that was the only thing that could make the joke work. No need to get too serious about it :)

tbh that joke was shit. not funny at all. i think no one even laughed. just the problem is that no one knows the relationship and historical facts between japan and other neighbouring countries like the natives of those countries. if american or any other people excluding people from russia or asian countries saw this without knowing the history they would just think that "oh russia really stole the island. oh korea is just nation stealing things from other country, china is copying all the time, etc" manipulating the facts and spreading lies that is what i'm worried about. (i'm saying some would think this way not all of you guys)

No, I'm laughing xD
Also, welcome to the world where there's only lies and no one knows the truth

kusushi said:
Saori Goto :3
That's all I need from this anime.

Aw, my comrade :)

killer-baka said:
ahmed_great2005 said:

Their names written in phonetic kanji.
Their names are also puns:
tvtropes said:

All five of the girls. We have Buratei Marii ("Bloody Mary"), Haroukitei Kigurumi ("Hello Kitty Stuffed Animal"), Bouhatei Tetora ("Breakwater Tetrapod"), Kuurubiyuutei Gankyou ("Cool Beauty Glasses"), and Anrakutei Kukuru ("Dark and Gloomy").

Wow sasuga Kumeta-sensei's pun
"Signature removed"
Sep 19, 2013 11:22 AM

Jun 2012
Lol'd at that ending, especially at the gloomy girl falling over.
May 13, 2014 3:41 PM

Jul 2012
They broke the fourth wall the first few minutes into the anime~! x3

Cute anime by the way. :3
Marii is my fave so far, but I also like Kigurumi. :3

Anyways....random comedy! x3 Really cute topics as well, also simple. :3

Nice anime so far~! x3 Can't wait to see the rest~! x3
Jul 27, 2014 2:46 AM

Oct 2013
lol this show is amazing XD
love the ed
[/quote]
Sep 1, 2014 7:57 AM

May 2013
I feel like I'm going to love this one.
Dec 30, 2015 11:05 PM

May 2014
All girls are indeed best girls and incredibly kawaii girls. Also yes, ED is awesome. This is gonna be a nice one.
Jun 24, 2016 4:45 AM

Feb 2015
Really enjoyed that first episode. Great comedy and dialogue, awesome OP and ED too :)
Jun 26, 2016 5:24 PM

Nov 2012
Ahaha this was a hilarious first episode. I'm loving the puns and unpredictable topic from the first episode. I hope it continues to impress me throughout the season.
Aug 8, 2016 12:47 AM

Jun 2007
That was hilarious, even the last part when they faced my country and shouted "give back our land"(by the way... lol we won't it's not yours ;P). but what about technology? Korea? that doesn't make any sense considering how much Japan has borrowed from China for example. i know it's all jokes but for Russians it will be so cuz we don't care but i'm afraid that some Korean people actually might be offended.. it was highly insensitive because i'm sure "the joke" was referring to the times when Japan conquered Korea, started ruling over it and introduced techology to them. if you know the history you must know how it was for Koreans back then.

ohh but I was bothered still. by the shamisen jokes. you know shamisens are made of cat skin and student shamisens are made of dog skin.
SorvarinAug 8, 2016 1:10 AM
see you, space cowperson . . .
Sep 2, 2016 4:48 PM

Feb 2013
So random.
Too much talking for my liking.
The cats vs dogs was funny.
I liked the ending though.
Sep 25, 2016 7:15 AM

Nov 2013
What the actual fuck
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Dec 31, 2016 8:56 PM

Jun 2016
Really liked it
i find the dialouge engaging and :you watch anime for free" part
the ed is great
Jan 7, 2019 5:59 PM

Mar 2017
The kind of show to start the year. Party boat's long ended but I'll give it a try.
Mar 3, 2019 4:26 AM

Sep 2018
As a start it was more than promising, since I imagined a much more boring story, given the synopsis; instead it was not so, so I'm happy to have started this anime series. Original the presentation of the characters, while watching the episode, I escaped more than a laugh, this is the sign that overall everything worked just fine. More than enough graphics quality, although this anime is a bit old. The opening and the ending are pretty catchy and nice.
Sep 10, 2020 8:11 PM

Jul 2016
"Though most of them will be watching it for free." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Always in the mood for a show featuring cute girls talking nonsense but it seems I won't get most of the references and jokes because of me not being japanese and also due to the rough translation between languages. Still entertaining first episode tho. The first minutes with the girls constantly breaking the 4th. wall sure caught me by surprise in a good way.
Jun 26, 2021 11:13 PM
Dec 2017
4/5 Definitely something Koji Kumeta would write. I tried watching this in 2016, but it was too Japanese for me, and it was hard to comprehend. Watched it again in 2021 and it was pretty funny. Great character interactions.
A psychic dwarf escapes from a prison. It was a small medium at large.

(×__×)
Jul 2, 2021 2:47 AM

Apr 2018
Well that was a fun first episode, reall love the word play xD

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Nov 21, 2021 3:43 PM

Jan 2019
I admit that I came to watch Joshiraku because of the ending meme, however the show surprised me. An anime that has cultural elements like rakugo, puns, and trivial issues, in a relaxed and unique way.
Jan 2, 2022 3:19 AM

Apr 2014
I like this show's vibe but without in-depth translator notes it seems like its... entirely incomprehensible to someone who doesnt speak japanese. So I probably wont get through all of it. Maybe the manga has some such notes?

Also some of those "give back" jokes at the end seem pretty yikes given Japan's history of colonialist BS and warcrimes. Especially towards Korea
Jan 25, 2022 5:50 PM

Jul 2019
Yeah, I am not going to enjoy this one as much as I would like to. Sad because this is really good from what I got lmao. Breaks 4th wall, seems to poke at Japanese stuff in a joking way. What's not to like?

Unfortunately, no context. I may have pause this for now.
Feb 11, 2022 1:57 AM

Aug 2018
...Just left me with a lot of questions xD
This anime is curious, I wanted to watch it since before and out of nowhere in 2021 the ending became popular xd, and yes it's catchy. And the opening is good.
Mar 26, 2022 6:47 AM

Aug 2018
The jokes/script/topics remind me of "Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei" and it turns out that they had the same creator. Let's continue!!
May 2, 2022 9:31 AM
Aug 2021
just like what the recommendation section suggests : this show has a very lucky star SOL vibe, with witty dialogues, jokes like yuyushiki, transitional title cards, artstyles, self-awareness at the level of zetsubou sensei (even some of the character designs and chemistries).
Cabbage_CatMay 2, 2022 9:46 AM
Jan 2, 2023 1:58 PM
Aug 2021
The joke of this series is that it's just boring chat but for some reason its funny. Also, im happy to finally know from where that meme song is.
Mar 6, 2023 1:55 AM

Jun 2021
24 minutes that went really fast. Delayed this show for too long considering there are three beloved people as Yoshino Nanjo, Nozomi Yamamoto and Ayane Sakura in it, and if it wasn't for Watchmojo listing the ED into a video of themes that "broke the internet" i would have probably not been aware of its existence even now.

The first real scene after the cold opening was the kind of meta that i enjoy the most, with the girls debating if there is actual need for anime adaptation considering the context and plot, and one of them does suddenly random moves exactly to give animators some proper work to do. All that talk for the dog kanji was also amusing.
Mar 26, 2023 9:15 PM

Aug 2016
Not even CGDCT can save Kumeta from doing something so awful and pretentious.
:v
Oct 29, 2023 6:57 PM

Jan 2016
I saw the ed somewhere a while ago and thought to watch this finally. So far I can say that I’m not impressed, didn’t even laugh once. Maybe it’s just harder for me to understand without notes? Hopefully next few eps can be better otherwise I might drop it.

Nov 20, 2023 7:12 PM

Apr 2021
I liked the first episode! I think I know that famous white dog. I discovered this anime a while ago because of the music at the end, now I can watch it.

The jokes and puns are understandable, some I even find funny, I'll continue watching the anime.
Mar 22, 9:04 AM

Feb 2014
I think I'd surely love this anime a lot I if spoke japanese. But unfortunately for it I don't speak japanese so it will be a no from me
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Joshiraku Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WildWhiteLynx - Sep 27, 2012

77 by HoneyBees91 »»
Apr 23, 7:37 AM

Poll: » Joshiraku Episode 12 Discussion

maccha - Sep 21, 2012

36 by HoneyBees91 »»
Apr 18, 10:44 AM

Poll: » Joshiraku Episode 11 Discussion

maccha - Sep 14, 2012

37 by HoneyBees91 »»
Apr 13, 2:35 AM

Poll: » Joshiraku Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Elite60 - Jul 26, 2012

66 by HoneyBees91 »»
Apr 9, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Joshiraku Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

maccha - Sep 7, 2012

53 by Matheus050 »»
Jan 8, 6:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.