Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (19) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2012 10:18 AM

Feb 2008
Well, I knew I wouldn't see Asuno yet in this episode, I was very impressed of the anime comparing of the bad manga art.
I have recently also begin reading the novel so I don't miss anything.
Even if SAO will be a 2nd reality I rather want to be in the game and reality O_o.

We also saw Kirito died when he was a beta testers, that Cline also had hard time to kill.
So we could see a reason why everyone died so easily even more beta testere died.
I guess most of the beta testers is the one that survive those 2 years.
Yes it will probably be a time skip the same as manga.

This VR MMORPG Sword Art Online is definely interesting game, the system and the grapical.
I see you can choose a female character in this game when you are male in reality, the changes was funny when everyone look into mirror.
I know about the voice features that was add in the game and so on, pretty cool.
I wonder what will happend if they never pick up the mirror item.

Nowadays why play female character in Virtual game?
I can watch myself in a girl body with a skirt lol and with a girl voice.

The farawell with Cline was sad, and the ending when we could see the stone were all people died.

I can't wait for Kirito x Asuno ^_^

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jul 7, 2012 10:20 AM
Sep 2009
Oh, first show this summer that is probably worth watching. Probably...
Jul 7, 2012 10:23 AM

Oct 2011
Oh gosh, that "tutorial" was done perfectly! It was exactly how I pictured it when I was reading the light novel.
Gotta love the extra tidbits though, like when that girl/.guy couple changed after they pulled out their mirrors. Just...... XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2012 10:25 AM

Feb 2009
Rabadash said:
belatkuro said:
Rabadash said:
Oosran said:
Rabadash said:
Also, I always wondered from when I read the LN, why don't they just arrest the creator? I mean, everyone knows who he is, its 2022 so forensic technology is pretty far ahead, so they could just force him to free everyone. I'm sure 10000 hostages is reason enough right?
Wasn't that because he went into hiding in some cottage somewhere or something like that?

That's why I said that its 2022, you'd think that they would be able to find him. The satellites we have now can find people based on their faces in some cave in the middle of nowhere, so why is it so hard to find a celebrity?
Someone who created the Nerve Gear and a VR game that completely revolutionized the gaming and computer industry in 2022. He planned all of this to create the world of Aincrad, down to the very last detail. Surely he has countermeasures against those tricks so that he can continue this game.

He has scientific countermeasures, what he doesnt have is legal countermeasures. No matter the ability of a single individual, theres no possible way he could he able to just flee into the japanese wilderness without
1: His company knowing where he is
2: His family
3: Real estate agents if he bought a cottage
4: The government if he left the country

All would leave a paper trail. And even if he had assistants helping him, there are 10000 lives at stake, if they found 1 person who knew where he might be, he would certainly be interrogated or even tortured.
Do you really think Kayaba didn't take everything into account when creating this scenario? Surely he did as this is his final work and wants to see it be completed(i.e., reach 100th floor) so any countermeasures to stop his project, he probably made sure to have it all covered. After all, he is the genius who created the Nerve Gear that taps into the brain's signals and makes the player feel he is in the game.
Jul 7, 2012 10:25 AM
Aug 2011
Another one of my high expectation shows for this season and episode 1 was done right.
The backgrounds are so nice as well.

It's Mutta in an MMORPG! Though, seriously A-1 Pictures has been doing well so far this year.
Jul 7, 2012 10:27 AM
Sep 2010
The show is simply amazing and scary at the same time, players have to clear the game before logging out thats interesting.
Jul 7, 2012 10:28 AM
May 2012
Firestalker5 said:
Jordan_ said:
I'm confused, can someone explain how can they continue playing without food/water and sleep(considering that things continue how they are going)?

Is it now what you eat and drink in game affects you in real life?

It's only the first episode, they explain things a little more as the story goes on, but basically they all get transferred to the hospital and they are given nutrients through an IV. The food in game can take care of the FEELING of hunger but the IV gives them the nutrients they need.

They are also give tubes for their waste, but other that they are pretty much at the mercy of the game.

They can sleep in game and feel rested for the most part... and they can even bathe, though it's nothing like a real bath.

Yeah, I figured they would go into more detail later on, but I was just too curious to wait. :p

Anyways thanks for the answer. :)
Jul 7, 2012 10:29 AM

Mar 2012
I love it!

Kore wa genjutsu da! *-*
Jul 7, 2012 10:29 AM

Aug 2009
Do you really think Kayaba didn't take everything into account when creating this scenario? Surely he did as this is his final work and wants to see it be completed(i.e., reach 100th floor) so any countermeasures to stop his project, he probably made sure to have it all covered. After all, he is the genius who created the Nerve Gear that taps into the brain's signals and makes the player feel he is in the game.

With the explanation given, it's 100% unreasonable. to many hurdles to cover.
no
Jul 7, 2012 10:32 AM

Sep 2008
Now that's an interesting premise.

But one thing bothers me. In the future MMORPGs won't have respawnable monster areas? Really? Or is it just that he fears too many people will be there so they won't be able to farm? But he also said there's limited amount of gold and exp they can farm, so it should be the first. Hmmm, and maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Eagerly waiting for more. So far best opening series this season for me.
Jul 7, 2012 10:34 AM
Sep 2011
Kirito reacted rather upset when he learned that Klein had some friends that were also online at the same time and rejected the offer to get introduced to them. This and his obsession with SAO indicate that he is probably quite asocial in reality and seeked a way to compensate for his lack of social life with success in the virtual world. Though that are just assumptions for now...

Anyway, I'm glad I dropped Accel World since SAO seems to have an even bigger budget and the better story out of the two worksby Kawahara with a similar setting.

So far, SAO is off to a great start though I'm still hesitant to call it the best of the season just yet with the mature Natsuyuki Rendezvous and the potential sleeper hit Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita airing at the same time.
Jul 7, 2012 10:37 AM

Apr 2012
nina4life said:

But one thing bothers me. In the future MMORPGs won't have respawnable monster areas? Really? Or is it just that he fears too many people will be there so they won't be able to farm? But he also said there's limited amount of gold and exp they can farm, so it should be the first. Hmmm, and maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Ofc the monsters respawn, you could even see some of the spawning. But 10k ppl competing over a few monsters, it would surely be hard to kill anything, no matter how fast they respawn.
Jul 7, 2012 10:38 AM

Mar 2011
Yup so far so good
Love the ending(opening) sequence

The only wish I need is for them not to mess up w/ the remaining episode

Jul 7, 2012 10:40 AM

Oct 2009
nina4life said:

Basically there will be too many people hunting the newbie areas and the monsters will killed as soon as they spawn. What he meant by 'limited' is that with all those people attacking mobs at the same time the exp and gold won will be slow coming.

Essentially as long as there is mobs the exp and gold will be there, but with all the people killing them so fast the exp and gold will be limited. Moving to a less populated place and leveling will make things easier since you'll have the mobs to yourself and relative "all-you-can-eat" exp and gold bonanza.
Jul 7, 2012 10:42 AM

Sep 2008
One more comment though (yes, I could have edited last one, but what the heck).

What's the point of giving spoilers of what's about to happen and what happened in the novel? WITHOUT USING SPOILER TAGS.

Seriously, first episode and I already know love interest (true, it may be obvious as soon as she comes, but hell, there could be more girls as far as I know) and an event that's going to happen.

WHY, WHY, WHY do people keep throwing spoilers in anime discussion boards long before things happen? Sigh. Oh well, after 4 years here I should've become accustomed to that, but it still pisses me off so much. Especially when it's a really good anime (or at least promising one).

Is it so hard to use spoiler tags? Is it?

Hell, I still never used report button, I wonder if it does anything.

Anyway, sorry for the rage.
Jul 7, 2012 10:43 AM
Oct 2011
That was definitely interesting, the best part was that the game is an RPG without magic. The animation was great too, although I'm not really into these types of character designs but still was enjoyable. Good to see there's a show worth watching this summer.

parfaited said:
..seriously A-1 Pictures has been doing well so far this year.
Definitely, let's hope they're gonna continue with the good animation, I have high expectations for Magi this fall, I hope they won't ruin it like they did with Fairy Tail.
Jul 7, 2012 10:43 AM
Apr 2012
Very nice episode

Full impression here - http://goani.me/sword-art-online-episode-1/
Jul 7, 2012 10:48 AM

Aug 2010
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WASN'T DISAPPOINTED...SAO WAS EPICALLY ANIMATED...

I'M SOOOO HAPPY RIGHT NOW I HAVE TEARS OF JOY TOT

Time to watch the episode again XD
Barion-ZaraJul 7, 2012 11:09 AM
Jul 7, 2012 10:52 AM

May 2009
That's what I call an epic start. I couldn't find anything I didn't enjoy on the first episode.

5/5
Jul 7, 2012 10:53 AM

Nov 2011
ricardo241 said:
Yup so far so good
Love the ending(opening) sequence

The only wish I need is for them not to mess up w/ the remaining episode

Same, the song was indeed catchy ^_^
Jul 7, 2012 11:01 AM

Jul 2009
WOW! What a pleasant surprise. No annoying MC. HURRAH!
Definitely a keeper for this season!
Jul 7, 2012 11:01 AM

Apr 2011
Well, it got serious pretty quickly, right into good things. I hope the animation quality won't decrease too fast.
4/5.
Jul 7, 2012 11:02 AM

Jun 2008
I feared when I first saw the chara design, but that wasn't justified. This episode is great and I can't wait to watch the next ones.

5/5
Jul 7, 2012 11:04 AM

Feb 2012
The one series I hope to god doesn't go to shit after the first half.

It started of PERFECTLY following the LN's first two chapter's. Sad that we won't see The First Day animated though :/
Jul 7, 2012 11:05 AM
May 2011
I really think this was well done, even though I already read the light novels (still am). My reaction was still the same
:"this guy is f**ked up, I would be pissed out of my life if that happened"

~It really did capture the drama and seriousness of the novel I think...but I'm easily impressed so :)...
ban1o.jpg
Jul 7, 2012 11:07 AM

Jul 2007
Do we really need to mention the animation? It's awesome. Let's drop it.

What we should be talking about is how awesome of a show this is going to hopefully be!!! I would kill my *insert here* to play this game!
Jul 7, 2012 11:08 AM

Jun 2011
This was my first disappointment of the season.

2.5/5

The game does look fun though.
Jul 7, 2012 11:09 AM

Mar 2008
Candor said:
That was definitely interesting, the best part was that the game is an RPG without magic. The animation was great too, although I'm not really into these types of character designs but still was enjoyable. Good to see there's a show worth watching this summer.

parfaited said:
Definitely, let's hope they're gonna continue with the good animation, I have high expectations for Magi this fall, I hope they won't ruin it like they did with Fairy Tail.

c'mon, Fairy Tails manga is in itself pretty generic. (Not saying it's bad, just generic.) I wouldn't say they ruined it, not even sure if they are the ones to blame for the anime not having any blood an so on...
Judging from the Trailer Magi will be nice. It probably has more to do with the budget they have (and don't forget the director).
Jul 7, 2012 11:14 AM

Mar 2011
Fucking amazing.
5/5
Jul 7, 2012 11:14 AM

Mar 2012
Damn, that was a surprisingly great first episode! This and Natsuyuki Rendezvous are my favorites of the season.

The animation and music was fantastic. The story is extremely interesting, and hopefully it continues to impress. Also, the MC seems like he'll be one of the better ones.

All in all, I can't wait for the next episode. Definitely a 5/5 start!
Jul 7, 2012 11:16 AM

Oct 2011
nina4life said:
One more comment though (yes, I could have edited last one, but what the heck).

What's the point of giving spoilers of what's about to happen and what happened in the novel? WITHOUT USING SPOILER TAGS.

Seriously, first episode and I already know love interest (true, it may be obvious as soon as she comes, but hell, there could be more girls as far as I know) and an event that's going to happen.

WHY, WHY, WHY do people keep throwing spoilers in anime discussion boards long before things happen? Sigh. Oh well, after 4 years here I should've become accustomed to that, but it still pisses me off so much. Especially when it's a really good anime (or at least promising one).

Is it so hard to use spoiler tags? Is it?

Hell, I still never used report button, I wonder if it does anything.

Anyway, sorry for the rage.

Yeah, you should stay away from the forums. EVERYBODY spoilers. Luckily, I read the LN for this so it's alright.

On topic,
EVERYTHING IS GOOD. My body is ready for this weekly doze of awesome.
5/5
Jul 7, 2012 11:17 AM
Mar 2010
Kirito forgot to loot wolf...
Jul 7, 2012 11:20 AM

Apr 2011
This is going to be epic.
Jul 7, 2012 11:20 AM
Oct 2011
precious said:
Candor said:

parfaited said:

c'mon, Fairy Tails manga is in itself pretty generic. (Not saying it's bad, just generic.) I wouldn't say they ruined it, not even sure if they are the ones to blame for the anime not having any blood an so on...
Judging from the Trailer Magi will be nice. It probably has more to do with the budget they have (and don't forget the director).
It's not really the blood that bothered me, it was first the character designs, there's a huge difference, but I could understand that 'cause it wasn't Mashima who drew them, but still they are really.. how should I say it? normal? maybe generic is the word, they lost their originality I think. 2nd it's too colorful, and those things that appear when someone uses his magic.. it just doesn't have the same feeling as the manga, not that the manga is great or anything, but they could've made its anime better. I've seen the trailer for the new movie and it looks way better than the anime, apparently Mashima drew the characters and it was abit more acceptable, I might watch it just for that reason.
Also I've seen the trailer for Magi, the artwork looks good I'd say, after seeing the artwork in this episode of SAO I'm a bit optimistic about it, I'm just hoping they won't ruin it.
Candor123Jul 7, 2012 11:25 AM
Jul 7, 2012 11:23 AM
May 2012
Very good first episode
Jul 7, 2012 11:29 AM

Mar 2008
Candor said:
precious said:
Candor said:

parfaited said:

It's not really the blood that bothered me, it was first the character designs, there's a huge difference, but I could understand that 'cause it wasn't Mashima who drew them, but still they are really.. how should I say it? normal? maybe generic as you said. 2nd it's too colorful, and those things that appear when someone uses his magic.. it just doesn't have the same feeling as the manga, not that the manga is great or anything, but they could've made its anime better. I've seen the trailer for the new movie and it looks way better than the anime, apparently Mashima drew the characters and it was abit more acceptable, I might watch it just for that reason.
and I've seen the trailer for Magi, the artwork looks good I'd say, after seeing the artwork in this episode of SAO I'm a bit optimistic about it, I'm just hoping they won't ruin it.

Sorry for my few typos, just noticed them now xD
Well yeah, I will agree with that. The part about when someone uses magic also bothers me (a lot actually) - it just looks really 'weird' and out of place.
I think they're improving, but again, it might also be because SAO is very popular so they have a good budget to work with (so naturally the result will be nice(r)).
Let's just hope for the best for Magi, I'm very excited to see it animated :3
Jul 7, 2012 11:33 AM

Jun 2011
looks very promissing
Jul 7, 2012 11:34 AM
Jun 2012
Rabadash said:
belatkuro said:
Rabadash said:
Oosran said:
Rabadash said:
Also, I always wondered from when I read the LN, why don't they just arrest the creator? I mean, everyone knows who he is, its 2022 so forensic technology is pretty far ahead, so they could just force him to free everyone. I'm sure 10000 hostages is reason enough right?
Wasn't that because he went into hiding in some cottage somewhere or something like that?

That's why I said that its 2022, you'd think that they would be able to find him. The satellites we have now can find people based on their faces in some cave in the middle of nowhere, so why is it so hard to find a celebrity?
Someone who created the Nerve Gear and a VR game that completely revolutionized the gaming and computer industry in 2022. He planned all of this to create the world of Aincrad, down to the very last detail. Surely he has countermeasures against those tricks so that he can continue this game.

He has scientific countermeasures, what he doesnt have is legal countermeasures. No matter the ability of a single individual, theres no possible way he could he able to just flee into the japanese wilderness without
1: His company knowing where he is
2: His family
3: Real estate agents if he bought a cottage
4: The government if he left the country

All would leave a paper trail. And even if he had assistants helping him, there are 10000 lives at stake, if they found 1 person who knew where he might be, he would certainly be interrogated or even tortured.

I'm confused, can someone explain how can they continue playing without food/water and sleep(considering that things continue how they are going)?

Is it now what you eat and drink in game affects you in real life?

He says in the LN they must be eating through a tube in real life, although this is bullocks, because they cannot leave their computers. Theres no way they wheeled in 10000 machines into private households.

Well they're not attached to a computer. It's a wireless headset from what I saw, so it's perfectly reasonable for the gamers to have been sent to hospitals. I agree on how unreasonable it is for the creator of the game to hide in a cottage for so long, but this detracts from the point of the anime. We're not here to question every tiny little thing. We're here to see the world of a VRMMORPG come to life.

Edit: I was wrong it is attached to a computer. Regardless my original point still stands.
Jul 7, 2012 11:35 AM

Aug 2010
For those who are wondering, that was the opening theme by LiSA played at the end. I remember her singing this song at Anime Expo last week
Jul 7, 2012 11:35 AM

Apr 2012
Have high expectations, better be better than that Accel World shit, the mc is a lot better, like the soundtrack but still doesn't compare to .hack//signs
Jul 7, 2012 11:37 AM

May 2009
Very interesting, wtf i didn't get bored for a second
thought i was just at the middle when the gm appeared. =))

read some chapters of the manga, so I hope this would be great too. :)
Jul 7, 2012 11:37 AM

Jan 2012
Amazing! A game like this is totally my dream.
Great art and musics.
Excited to see the next episode *-*

10/10
Jul 7, 2012 11:40 AM

May 2011
Strongly reminds me of .Hack//Sign
Jul 7, 2012 11:42 AM

Jun 2010
are everyone going to die from hunger? 100 floors is going to be a long adventure.
i'm expecting more from here on out :D
great ep 5/5
Jul 7, 2012 11:47 AM
Jun 2012
Birondo said:
are everyone going to die from hunger? 100 floors is going to be a long adventure.
i'm expecting more from here on out :D
great ep 5/5

No they do not die from hunger.
Jul 7, 2012 11:47 AM

Apr 2012
Perception said:
Strongly reminds me of .Hack//Sign
Pretty much every mmo anime will do that now, instead of going in coma its death now lmao, if its the final boss from any of the .Hack games the main character will need God Mode cheats
Jul 7, 2012 11:49 AM

Feb 2009
Wow, that was great. I love the story to this, probably because I have played MMORPGs myself. Good main character (though I liked him with the longer hair), and I also liked the friend he made with the Kotetsu voice. I also liked how this episode was actually quite serious, certainly not what I was expecting. Very pleasantly surprised, hopefully this tone continues from here on out. No moemoe harem shit PLEASE.

Probably my favourite first episode of the season, looks like I'll be doing just fine with Tari Tari, Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Horizon and this.
Jul 7, 2012 11:49 AM

Nov 2011
Ooooh boy, did that remind me of .hack~ This will be so so SO great. I wonder how long it will take for games to reach this point...

Nervegear makes not going able to log out epic awesome. <3 Invisible walls, clipping, and getting stuck would be the end of the world for me if I ever played. Wow.

This will be the best anime ever...I have to show tell my friends about this one.
Jul 7, 2012 11:51 AM
Jul 2011

Hold on, is that what I think it is?! o.o
If it was, MyAnimeList sure has gained some popularity in Japan?!
Jul 7, 2012 11:51 AM
Jul 2012
I only seen 1 episode, but I already hope there is going to be a 2nd season xDD
Can't wait for more episodes to air
Pages (19) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2012

705 by amf85 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2012

686 by amf85 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2012

745 by amf85 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.