Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 21, 2019 1:12 PM

Jun 2015
Wait, i didn't even see how Smith died. He just stopped appearing all of a sudden.
Also, I know this show defies human technology but I don't think you can get that close to a star, even if it's a red giant.
Nov 21, 2019 1:29 PM

Jun 2015
And why did they bother developing a romance episode if the guy barely had screen time. Wasted time to develop the plot, especially for a 6-episode.
Nov 30, 2019 4:00 PM
Jan 2014
Sorvarin said:
aelove said:
i mean yea noriko is a whiny little bitch but i can understand her character and the point the show is making so far. it excellently depicts the fear and feeling of insecurity of being thrust into a situation you are completely and utterly unprepared for. Coach was an idiot to bring noriko into something like this. she has no experience and is clearly way too young to be making life and death decisions on the battlefield.

Amano has no battle experience in space either, she said she only has been in space few times "on vacation". So... that all is stupid

But i think i'm going to finish this just to make 100% sure it's garbage
(and for them girls' suits..)

They're both clearly very different characters, perhaps even foils. While it's realistic for some people to adapt to life and death situations fast, it might be unrealistic for others to do those same things. Rather you like or not, Noriko is a character that both doesn't have the right kind of personality for war(initially, and this is probably the case of many soldiers in these kinds of catastrophe scenarios), and a freshman in highschool. Not sure of how this series is garbage because it's not another one of the dozens of series that gives an idealistic and unrealistic portrayal of child soldiers.
Nov 30, 2019 4:05 PM
Jan 2014
Switch_Z said:
And why did they bother developing a romance episode if the guy barely had screen time. Wasted time to develop the plot, especially for a 6-episode.

To develop the characters. So far this story has largely been a character study so it makes sense. As for the quick romance, the point is to walk the viewer through the rather pure and cheerful stage of both early companionship and infaturation, while than presenting how it might feel for hard reality to penetrate those experiences, turning what would be a special adolescent memory into a large dark spot. I thought the execution here was done very well. We didn't learn anything substantial about the bolid in question, but his interactions with Noriko felt very natural and real, which allowed for the viewer to build in a sense the same kind of initial attraction to his character as Noriko might, before having it cut away.
Nov 30, 2019 4:19 PM
Jan 2014
Another thing that makes Smith touching in the context of this series, is that so far he seems like the only person who was genuinely friendly to her without any conditions.
Apr 17, 2020 1:50 PM

May 2011
Let's be honest, who the fuck is eating sushi in deep. space?
Sep 29, 2020 12:36 PM

Feb 2012
This teeny-tiny arc with Smith makes me feel sad that this series could've and perhaps should've been longer...

Crafty Haruhiko Mikimoto:

2023 rewatch in dub:
When Noriko had to do the dare and her roommates pushed her out into the corridor, I heard Jung Freud say до свидания (do svidaniya), so that likely means she's just a Soviet citizen of German descent. I formerly theorized she was East German using a Soviet mech because of the Warsaw Pact.
Fortress_MaximusAug 20, 2023 1:51 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Nov 30, 2020 6:12 AM

Jun 2016
The story development and the soundtrack implies I'm supposed to be sad about Smith's death. I don't feel anything tho, I hardly knew the guy. Great attempt tho, I guess.

I kinda chuckled when she opened the door to the room full of sad boys. I probably shouldn't have, but I did.

Jan 29, 2021 1:19 AM

May 2020
A shame about Smith. The battle scene itself was disappointing because we had very little idea of what exactly was attacking Noriko and Smith. The aftermath of his death was very well executed though.

Nov 26, 2021 2:02 PM

Dec 2020
Poor sumisu. I mean Smith :(
Mar 25, 2022 10:14 AM

Feb 2021
they kill him off just like that? Thought this was the romance part, nvm

kinda enjoying this but at the same time not really
Apr 21, 2022 10:20 AM

Dec 2021
removed-user said:
I am suprised to see that some people really think Kazumi(one-sama) is a ''bitch'' because of that talk with the coach, she did the right thing there.From what we have seen so far,Noriko clearly wasnt ready to fight in a real battle.Now, Smith got killed and it is a sad situation for everyone.

Fr it's so obvious she's trying to protect Noriko i really can't imagine how someone could think that lol
Aug 26, 2022 6:27 AM

Jun 2020
Definitely way better episode. There are some cliches, but considering how old this show is it was probably unique back then. But well, really good episode. I loved the music and the beautiful shots at the end. The show is finally building up to a larger picture, the last scene, the unsettling fact that the sun (I forgot what it was called) became a red giant in literally a decade is building up to a bigger picture which I can't wait to see what it is. I can see many similarities to Evangelion, it is Anno's debut after all. Seems like characters are getting set into their personalities, motivations, etc. Well let's see how it goes.

Aug 26, 2022 6:30 AM

Jun 2020
flowstate said:
Let's be honest, who the fuck is eating sushi in deep. space?
Best comment I've ever read in MAL forum discussions. Period.

Aug 31, 2022 12:53 PM
May 2022
Oh yeah, when we got to see the buster machine, I knew THIS is when it starts getting good.
Jan 31, 2023 3:22 AM

Aug 2022
Smith looked like a fun character, better than that soviet lady. Too bad he's dead.

Sep 27, 2023 6:29 AM

Mar 2022
Poor Smith, he only gets a handful of screen time and yet this show made me care about him after he died. A great episode showcasing how space battles can be a dangerous business. Just the reaction from the other guys' faces in the men's quarters was enough for me to be sad at that.
Dec 18, 2023 12:11 PM

Jun 2021
Fuck, third chapter and the mc still sucks in space combat, this guys took character development too serious (i hope)
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Mar 8, 9:43 PM
Jun 2020
its quite good, when you think this is a 30 years old anime, its good
Mar 18, 5:56 PM

May 2020
Kazumi refused to be deployed in an active combat situation with Noriko due to her inexperience. Yeah, that's perfectly reasonable, especially since she's basically going from minamal bootcamp training immidiately to advanced fighter pilot deployment. This isn't like subbing in that promising young rookie into the big playoff game: sending off a new recruit barely out of training to an important battle assignment with minimal personnel (as opposed to a single soldier in a battalion) is bound to get someone killed.
...And of course it did! What was he thinking?! I certainly don't blame Kazumi for refusing to pertner with her in actual combat, and I don't blame Noriko for freezing up, either - she's still green, and that's known to happen with soldiers new to the battlefield. Coach though: he's their commanding officer, he ought to know better. I'd be surprised if he isn't demoted or at least reprimanded for that boneheaded move next episode.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 28, 2008

78 by VioletOlya »»
Mar 3, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MK - Aug 10, 2008

192 by jal90 »»
Feb 4, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ston3_FreeN7 - Aug 19, 2009

77 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 19, 2023 9:21 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

67 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 19, 2023 8:44 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

60 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 17, 2023 10:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.