Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 30, 2012 9:03 PM

May 2012
The animation is indeed so horrible. But the story is quite good that makes it still bearable.. Lol, I even have to ask my sister to take a quick look at some few parts because I was wondering that there could be something wrong with the player or if maybe i am just sleepy.. so it is really with the animation! Haha. Anyway, storyline is quite interesting so still looking forward :)

Jul 4, 2012 1:08 PM
Jan 2011
KiraYoshikage said:
who sub it?

Edit: This is not in Japan, the story is in old China.

The studio of this anime still uses a Japanese element into this anime.
Jul 4, 2012 1:43 PM

Sep 2007
Nasty001 said:
KiraYoshikage said:
who sub it?

Edit: This is not in Japan, the story is in old China.

The studio of this anime still uses a Japanese element into this anime.

Like what?
Jul 5, 2012 6:45 AM

Jan 2008
The story kept me on my sit till the end of 50 min - episode. The OP and ED songs are nice. I am still unused to the animation style. The charas designs are fine though.
LieilaJul 5, 2012 9:42 PM
Jul 14, 2012 4:59 PM

Oct 2011
Well,this was pretty good in most departments except for the animation department when they were using CG models.When it was 2D,it was fairly good.

Why when using CG in anime,do studios not hire a video game company to do the animation?If it weren't for this bad CG,more people would like it.I seen better Cg animation on American cartoons & those things are made for kids!And the 3D One Piece movie looked better than this.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Aug 19, 2012 5:23 AM

Jan 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
doruk_kara said:
I doubt it'll be more realistic than the manga. Not with the voice actor of Ichigo shouting around xD
Unless that changes or there is less of it. Who knows the development exactly at this point.

I've read some comments in various places that said this was one of the better shows of the season, so I thought I'd take a look.

Not impressed with the initial episode. The shouting of lines wore me out completely, especially by Shin. Around the 32 minute mark, I had to pause the show and go take a break. It wasn't as bad afterward but it wasn't good.

Weird animation. Not attractive. Someone above used the expression 'fake Disney'. That's sort of what I thought as well — more cheap Disney though. In the scene in the market, around the 21 minute mark, the characters freeze when they aren't speaking, sometimes in weird poses. Very strange to watch. And Shin wears too much mascara.

Then there's the whole concept of the evil brat. After Medaka Box and Accel World, I'm not sure if I can handle another evil brat, especially for such a long series. I was thinking of watching another episode to see if it got better but I feel completely worn out from this double length one. Too much melodrama, too many scenes that went on too long, too much shouting and yelling. I could cope with the visual ugliness but not sure if I can deal with the rest.
May 10, 2013 8:55 PM

May 2012
The CG was off putting at first but as the episode went on either it toned down or I got used to it. Either way, it reminded me of the Berserk movie and I didn't have a problem with it back then either. The story itself was pretty good too so I'll definitely keep watching.
Jul 16, 2013 5:20 PM

Nov 2011
Mm, I finally started watching this today. Some quick thoughts:

- Decent OST (at least it fits with the series so far)
- Nice premise
- The fighting scenes are okay I guess, seems a bit forced though..
- Zheng looks like a chick
- Lame CG
- Shinn reminds me of Eren for some reason..
- Very decent OST actually now

Lol, I think I wrote a comment about passing this up awhile ago but glad I came back to watch this show now~
Jul 16, 2013 5:23 PM

Mar 2011
It gets better. The first arc is a little bleh in my opinion. But from then on it feels more and more epic. The CG is bad now, but it gets better as the the show progresses. Or maybe my eyes got use to it and it didn't feel god awful anymore.
Jul 16, 2013 5:23 PM

Nov 2011
Rastamepas said:
It gets better. The first arc is a little bleh in my opinion. But from then on it feels more and more epic. The CG is bad now, but it gets better as the the show progresses. Or maybe my eyes got use to it and it didn't feel god awful anymore.

How many arcs are there from this series?
Aug 2, 2013 6:14 AM

Sep 2008
The story seems to be great. It's not rational to think so after watching the first episode of a series, but it seems it will be interesting after seeing the drama and the promise.
The music was great. The voice acting.. whoo, I'd have preffered if the seiyuu responsible for voicing Kurosaki Ichigo wouldn't be the main hero in here. This is a kid and the voice ought to be more immature.
I don't like the animation. Prefer it more.. vintage :p
Feb 5, 2014 9:04 PM

Oct 2013
Must... not... lose... to the... CGI...

My eyes hurt!
In the meantime, I'll put this on my on-hold list. Will watch this sometimes later when my eyes recovered enough.
Mar 3, 2014 3:25 AM

Mar 2012
The first episode was great. I had to get used to the facial animation at first, but it worked out.

Overal I'm waiting for something really plot-twisting to happen. Like something giving a meaning to the plot.
Kuroookoooooo-chin!
Mar 13, 2014 4:15 AM

Jan 2012
CGI was questionable at first, but got used to it fast...

talking about first EP though.... looks like I'm in for a long haul....

dat voice acting was top top notch...

damn..
Mar 30, 2014 10:25 PM

Sep 2011
Didn't like the CGI, but I got used to it quickly due to the freaking QUALITY of this episode! Great start, I didn't even realize it was 50 minutes until 3/4 in. xD
Jun 7, 2014 7:46 AM

Mar 2010
Excellent, It almost had me a bit teary eyed.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jun 25, 2014 11:25 AM

Oct 2010
well that was kindof epic, i can see myself really liking this
Oct 15, 2014 1:04 PM

Sep 2014
Wow, this animation style is really hard to deal with

3d animation doesn't look good unless it's high budget/quality; flaws are much easier to notice because the movement and animations are sharp and jarring
Dec 3, 2014 11:45 AM

Jul 2013
notsomacho said:
Wow, this animation style is really hard to deal with .

3d animation doesn't look good unless it's high budget/quality; flaws are much easier to notice because the movement and animations are sharp and jarring

Yeah I could barely take some of the scenes in this anime seriously, when the characters were moving so unnatural like robots.I really hope they go back to 2d after this.It's so painful to watch and I really want to watch this cuz it seems to have promise.

Jul 2013
notsomacho said:

Yeah I could barely take some of the scenes in this anime seriously, when the characters were moving so unnatural like robots.I really hope they go back to 2d after this.It's so painful to watch and I really want to watch this cuz it seems to have promise. :/

Jul 2013
notsomacho said:

Yeah I could barely take some of the scenes in this anime seriously, when the characters were moving so unnatural like robots.I really hope they go back to 2d after this.It's so painful to watch and I really want to watch this cuz it seems to have promise. :/
Dec 23, 2014 3:00 AM

Jan 2013
Not a big fan of the 3d but it's definitely watchable. Seems pretty good so far. That ending though!
Jan 8, 2015 8:27 AM
Jun 2014
Ugh, I really hate the animation. The CGI is worse than the Berserk movies. I'll probability drop this show since the animation is actually painful to watch, which is a shame because the story has potential.
Feb 8, 2015 6:44 AM

Jun 2013
Story is okay but the CGI is absolutely horrible. can't believe why so many anime has them when the 2d counter part is clearly better. wish they correct these kind of mistakes.

Feb 25, 2015 4:15 PM

Sep 2013
The animation here looks like in 3d animeish game. Its interesting attempt, but it hurts my eyes. Its too primitive. In another 10 years maybe theyll have tech to utilize cgi in really good way. Also, the voice actors are fucking bad. They dont match characters at all. Teen boy sounds like 40 years old gee-gee...
Feb 26, 2015 7:02 AM

Dec 2013
NeutroNShivA said:
The animation here looks like in 3d animeish game. Its interesting attempt, but it hurts my eyes. Its too primitive. In another 10 years maybe theyll have tech to utilize cgi in really good way. Also, the voice actors are fucking bad. They dont match characters at all. Teen boy sounds like 40 years old gee-gee...

Better read the manga, if the animation bothers you so much. The story is really worth it. The voice acting is quite good, though.
Or at least the actor fits Shin perfectly in the second season, since he grows up until then.
Apr 16, 2015 1:32 AM

Nov 2013
I was hesitant to watch this for awhile because people said the animation was godawful.

That first scene made me wanna vomit. I almost quit right there after I saw the characters' ugly CG faces.

By the end of the episode, I got used to the CG...kinda. I heard the animation gets better later so there's another thing I have to look forward to.

Damn they killed off the pretty boy on the first episode. That's disheartening. I hope Xin can carry this show on his shoulders.

I wonder who that was at the end? There's no way that's Piao or I'm dropping it.

This anime definitely has potential. I find it a little hard to take the story seriously with the shitty animation but I can see this getting better.

Bad start. This episode for the most part, was a chore to watch. I'm glad the next few episodes aren't 50 minutes long too or I wouldn't have touched this anime with a 10-foot pole.

4/10

Jun 11, 2015 9:49 AM

Dec 2013
This was good. I just love the historical China setting and the OST is incredible, definitely will make it into my top 10 OSTs. Sure the CG is annoying but I think I can get used to it. Chinese names being read completely different in Japanese makes some confusion but overall I'm looking forward to watching more of this.
Oct 7, 2015 7:46 PM

Jun 2009
Somehow, I knew Piao would die in the first episode.

Not too many anime have 50 minute first episodes, which is unfortunate. I think more anime should go this route, it's sets up the world, characters and plot way better than a standard 22-24 minute first episode. Not to mention it avoids horrid pacing issues in the first episode which A LOT of anime suffer from.

This anime probably has the worst CGI I've ever seen but in some parts the art/animation got a lot better. I think they're going to use a mix of hand drawn and CGI every episode because the budget for the first season is really low. The 2nd season looks way better.

Now that I've gotten all that out of the way, the anime is actually quite interesting. I love the setting and I'm looking forward to seeing what else comes of this.
Dec 6, 2015 9:27 PM

Nov 2014
What's up with shit 3d.

Dec 10, 2015 8:49 AM

Dec 2013
Thankfully this show isn't done completely in 3D, that was one of the main things that stopped me from watching this one earlier.
Apr 8, 2016 4:23 AM

Dec 2014
Ok first I was ticked of from the animation but the story itself is very ell built
Jul 22, 2016 10:41 AM

Jul 2014
The animation makes me wanna cry...
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Oct 30, 2016 2:20 AM

Mar 2012
Dam the CG is just as shit as I remember it. Tried to give this anime a go a few months ago but dropped it a few seconds after watching that choppy nightmare of a start. Since the setting interests me and the show has pretty good ratings I've decided to give it another go. It's a shame since the art style isn't bad which is apparent in the few moments where the animation is just 2D. Also found it hilarious that they didn't use CG for Piao's death scene and the fight at the village since it shows that they know it looks bad xD

Now that I got that out of my system, it seems like Piao was just acting as a double for whom I assume is the king's older brother. Guess that explains why the guy only wanted to free Piao.
Nov 22, 2016 7:22 PM

May 2015
35mins in I realize it's a 50min episode lol.

i don't see anything wrong with this except for the CGI
Sep 4, 2017 6:42 AM

Oct 2012
Ichig- I mean Xin seems a pretty cool & strong character xD

So the setting is a fiction china? Like three kingdoms (shu, wu, wei) except this one didn't really happen in real life?

The CG animation is pretty horrible.. but that's not I'm here for, I'm here for the story
Except if it's Berserk, Berserk without beautiful art is just not Berserk xD
This I kinda like it!

Looking forward for Lelouch & Ichigo's adventure! xD
"Signature removed"
Oct 30, 2017 9:22 AM
Mar 2017
They would have done all the 2D anime.
it seems that they spent so much on the animation that they did not have a budget to buy the bags of fake blood hahahaha.
I was wondering why the chapter was getting long, and it was because it lasted 50 minutes hahaha ...

Right now there is an anime in broadcast with a CGI animation (HOUSEKI NO KUNI), if it were not for that I'm liking that anime gem (literal haha), I would not have given this anime a chance.
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Nov 4, 2017 5:57 PM

Jul 2016
it's times like these that i wonder why anime with a good plot, story and setting do not receive better animation as some shit anime do. nothing prepared me for that when i started watching, but it isn't the first time. i like how they switch the animation during certain, important scenes. those scenes deserve it.

i was a bit mad and confused, my ship died at a record breaking half of an episode and i was like "it can't be, they have to come back." however, based off of other anime i watched, i threw away that bit of hope and thought for sure piao was dead. nope! someHOW he had two bodies. that is some strange mojo that they must explain. the little child/man/woman/whoknows with that costume in heibei village on is interesting, kinda wished he ran after xin or something as his new companion.

i'm surprised i stuck throughout the whole episode, didn't even realize that i had already passed the 30 minute benchmark until the video paused on me from buffering. that means it was *thumbs up*. can't even watch a regular length episode sometimes lol. i once wanted to buy a few volumes of this, about two years ago. never did since i was broke (when am i not), i can see now that i should have bought them after all. because this is worth it and seems interesting.
Dec 7, 2017 10:12 AM

Jan 2014
The CGI is... different. He looks nothing like he does in the manga, though? I think..

Anyway, there was something about this show that pulled me in. I'm curious now, so I'll stick with it for a bit.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 3, 2018 5:37 AM

Mar 2015
nope...back to the manga
Apr 13, 2018 4:54 AM

Aug 2013
I couldn't stand the animation at all...dropped
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Sep 23, 2018 8:55 PM
Jul 2018
*not even 1 minute into episode 1*
Ew, CGI.
Jan 5, 2019 11:02 PM

Dec 2015
It seems relatively interesting for what it is, an historical tale turned into a war nekketsu. But the extremely visible CGI used for EVERYTHING `makes it hard to watch. The rare cuts to somewhat decent drawn pictures underlines the uglyness ugliness even more.

2/5
Jun 8, 2019 6:37 AM

Feb 2013
The animation sucks but I like the story.
RIP Piao.
Jun 23, 2019 1:16 AM

Jul 2015
Pretty interesting start, hopefully the animation gets better in later episodes.

Aug 21, 2019 12:11 PM

Mar 2016
Certainly one of the worst presentations I've ever seen...
What looks good in episode 1? The 2D and that characters death. Everything else is between bad and horrendous. The 3D is awful, the music doesn't fit the show, the direction is lackluster almost all the way and the voices don't even match the characters (personality).
That's what happens when you give the series to an unknown director.

Also, doesn't the opening sequence contradicts itself later in the episode? -.-
Aug 4, 2020 8:02 AM

May 2015
CGI is hurting my eyes, but I hope that story will compensate that.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 13, 2021 11:00 AM
Oct 2019
haha, well, i certainly was not expecting that

i saw this shows high ratings and that the show was generally well regarded. i certainly didn't expect that level of animation. it very much reminds me of 2016 Berserk, which people *LOVE* to hate. and the MC's english VA is pretty annoying, too. worse than asta from Black Clover, which people also love to hate

as for the show, i was wondering: 1) how that servant kid could've died so soon into the show when i thought he was going to be a key figure, 2) that that servant kid looked a lot like the older half brother/ruler kid... wait, maybe the servant kid really did die and that kid in the shack is actually the ruler kid... hmm

it's a 6 or 7/10 to start. decent, not great. but interesting enough to give it a few more episodes to truly judge
HagePotPotatoMay 13, 2021 11:24 AM
Jan 12, 2022 5:31 AM

Dec 2007
in the first time trying watching this, the CGI made me quite lol, the second time the story just pulled me. to me it seems the more the story continues the animation is better, or rather bearable.

at any rate, i love this already.
and my guess about the end is
Apr 24, 2022 11:01 AM

May 2020
carried by the story
the animation is not bad but the CGI is janky
also the dub is pretty bad

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Ou ki and Kyou

Hacker075 - Yesterday

3 by Justforseven1 »»
Yesterday, 4:56 AM

Poll: » Kingdom Episode 20 Discussion

KiraYoshikage - Oct 15, 2012

27 by Zedz_c »»
Apr 17, 6:53 AM

» Sub who uses the japanese names

L1ncoln86 - Feb 6, 2023

9 by ErwinsArm »»
Apr 13, 1:02 PM

» Should I start this??

Wildbergerrrr - Mar 25

22 by Justp94 »»
Apr 2, 6:47 PM

Poll: » how is the dub for this

Homura24 - Apr 24, 2022

5 by Justp94 »»
Mar 26, 2:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.