Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 2, 2012 8:32 AM
Aug 2010
VIStrings said:
Hurts me to know how many underrated anime could benefit if people did overanalyze because they have actual depth, instead of trying to do so to shallow, overhyped anime.

E7 is one of those animes and AO will prolly be too.
Jun 2, 2012 10:09 AM

Nov 2010
Those 3 stooges staging the Media are really becoming the new Team Rocket

Great Action scenes nonetheless
Jun 2, 2012 10:19 AM

Sep 2011
VIStrings said:
Mattafixx: good post, but answer me these two questions:

1) Has it occured to you that maybe you're overanalyzing?
2) With that kind of overanalysis, don't you think that at least 95% of all anime ever released could be considered a "really well-written anime"?

I'm well convinced that I could write a post like yours about most anime I've watched in the 5-7 average score range that most people do NOT consider good, let alone "well-written", and it'd make it seem really good as well.

Haha, I guess over-analysis comes with the territory (law student - so I tend to do it to everything). I guess on a more holistic level, I like it primarily because you can't actually tell who is the "good guy" and the "bad guy." Too many anime lately make it plainly clear from the start who is bad and good, like a lot of old Western movies, where the baddie wore a black hat, and the gooodie wore a white hat. I find that, despite the clarity of knowing who is who, it also means the "baddies" pretty much regurgitate the same old cliches and 'bad guy monologue' which I consider 'crap writing.'

Despite the same old protagonist yelling (eg. "HIYAAAAAAAA"), each of the characters in E7:AO are quirky, and at times throw out unexpected responses and/or actions (Elena/Mirror and the President are good examples of this). Except maybe the stereotypical swagger of 'Truth' and his boasting, I still find even Truth intriguing, as I can't help but feel that his actions will be partially justified for some reason in future eps. And so not knowing who is bad and/or good, makes the series unpredictable. It like good horror for example (another analogy). The best horror films/games are the ones where they don't show you the actual monster/evil, but rather with careful use of lighting, scripting, character dialogue, make your imagination run wild and freak you out, because you don't know where the evil is coming from or what form it is in.

This, and my love of dystopian fiction makes me enjoy this series (dystopian fiction includes: Orwell's "1984", Rob Harris' "Fatherland", "Brand New World" and even "Hunger Games" to an extent). Despite this not being a strictly "dystopian" landscape, its characters are similar, in that, they are hidden and often characterised by the internal struggles by the protagonist (ie. "infighting of emotions/imperatives"). Ill stop - Im overanalysing :P

As a side-note:

I actually didn't rate the original E7 that highly (I was easy on it - as paying out E7 tends to create much anime-rage). I found it VERY slow in some places, and certain aspects of the ending, could be predicted by the end of the first few episodes (eg. Eureka & Renton, some confrontation with Dewy Novak, etc). Yes, the journey was unpredictable in places, but if you know how it ends, then part of the magic is lost. You may say that the specific ending wasn't predictable, but that was merely because it wasn't that clear WTF happened at the end (up to anyone how you interpret it really).

Moreover, some of the characters I found way too stereotypical, muttering the same old phrases a lot of anime tend to tumble into (eg. "Ah hah, YOU FOOL, you have stepped right into my trap" [5mins later] "Blast, you foiled my trap at the last second"). It's also a criticism of the "Truth" episode in AO, because Truth reminded me of the typical anime "bad guy" stereotype. But something makes me feel like he is not the bad guy. Maybe because his motives are so distinct from the rest of the characters (who don't understand what he's doing). I dunno.

Moreover, Renton particularly annoyed me, because his character development felt clunky. I'll stop on E7 now, purely because (i) im probably pissing off fans of E7 on an E7:AO forum (LOL) - who are entitled to their opinion, and (ii) im getting to over-analytical again.

To draw back:

I like it because I can't predict the next episode. More than that, characters are un-predictable, and cant be easily classified as your typical protagonist and nemesis. Third, its a very beautiful anime + has a great soundtrack. Finally, the characters feel more believable - probably because they are a bit more proactive in their actions. They aren't mopey all the type, and when they are, they are usually blowing something up whilst being mopey XD.

There. Sorry again. I really ranted. Eeep. [Sits at computer waiting for waves of abuse from E7 fans :P]
KuuzonJun 2, 2012 10:29 AM
Jun 2, 2012 11:06 AM
Jan 2012
@Mattafixx (Not going to quote that!)

I love dystopian fiction as well. 1984 is one of my favorite books of all time, also, it's Brave New World, not Brand, haha. I don't agree that AO has a dystopian feel at all, though. Coming from someone who loved Kino no Tabi, Kaiji (dystopian subworld?), GitS and so on, I can't at all relate these to AO.

I agree with everything you said about E7, though, and I do have to agree that at least for now, AO doesn't have a stereotypical "haha! I am your villain and I want to destroy your world!" character (let's hope Truth doesn't turn into this crap). However, there's many an anime with this characteristic. Again, I'm not saying AO is a bad anime, it's really not. It's decent. It doesn't deserve to be ranked 400 after 8 (imo) mostly below-average episodes, and this week's episode was a real mood killer, though.
Jun 2, 2012 11:22 AM

Apr 2011
Spitfirefly said:
the style of E7 Ao is very different to the previews series. in the old one there was a high focus on the renton x eureka romance, but in Ao there's like no romance at all.
it also reminds me very much of neon genesis evangelion: 1 boy and 2 girls fighting in mechas against suddenly appearing abstract aliens for an organization.

They are trying to make it like EVA, for sure. Not just the girls but also the teasers for the next episodes being narrated by an unknown lady and the names of the episodes spoken in english LOL
Jun 2, 2012 12:24 PM
May 2012
I liked this episode, but I think this character development cycle needed to be completed much earlier. I like that relationships are starting to build (Ao and Fleur) and I'm glad that Ao didn't have a little emo crybaby fit about not being able to go save Naru... though he had a few smaller emo crybaby fits to make up for it later on.

Though there was very little direct plot development this episode I think it was a much needed lull. Good time spent getting to know the characters; I was actually worried that Fleur was going to get herself killed at the end, which I wouldn't have cared about at the beginning of the episode.

There was a little probing into the romance genre here for the first time in this series as well, which I like. It felt much more like the original E7 to me than any of the prior episodes so far. Many of the characters were given a little more depth too; Fleur, Ao, Elena, the Chief, the President, etc.

One thing that bugged me though, was that Ao 'hating' his father (Renton?) seemed very forced. I don't remember it ever being mentioned or even hinted at before (though there was a distinct lack of Renton's presence, with the focus being on Eureka) and it just felt like it was made up on the spot to give him and Fleur a reason to get closer.

Definitely hope Ao ends up with Fleur, or at least someone who is not Naru, since I don't like her character at all right now. That laughing scene at the very end was well done; it made me happy :P
Jun 2, 2012 1:06 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Meh.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 2, 2012 1:20 PM
Jan 2012
We all know who the star of this show is: NOAH. I wouldn't mind some Fleur x Noah...

exs120Jun 2, 2012 1:33 PM
Jun 2, 2012 2:20 PM

Jul 2009
Is it just me or has the animation quality taken a nosedive since ep 7? The first few episodes just seemed higher quality.

Better episode regardless, enjoyed Fleur character development even if it was predictable.
Jun 2, 2012 2:35 PM

Apr 2012
I would add something to Mattafixx and VIStrings discussion about over-analyzing. Putting aside analysis for the sake of analysis, I tend to start analyzing ideas that are thought-provoking. At the beginning of any story, one is introduced to a myriad of premises. As the story progresses, these premises build upon themselves. Good stories takes seriously their premises and attempt to deconstruct or analyze them, whereas many lose track of their premises and wander into the land of fanservice.

One brilliant example is Sankarea; its first three episodes had such potential. It could have continued discussing suicide, child abuse, freedom and love. Instead, Sankarea pandered to its viewers (admittedly with the same stunning visuals), concentrating on minor characters and the perfect girlfriend.

On the other hand, I appreciated E7 Ao's attempts to discuss xenophobia, politics, good/evil and maturity. At least in regard to those topics, E7 Ao didn't (hasn't yet) waste them like Sankarea did. Granted, this doesn't mean that E7 Ao is a great anime, for an anime consists of more than just ideas (e.g. visuals, seiyuu, plot, pacing), but I do appreciate Mattafixx's attempts to analyze some of repeating ideas in E7 Ao.

On a side note, ranking at MAL is a popularity contest in most cases. No wonder E7 Ao ranks so high, MAL hosts many E7 lovers. Sad, yes, but something one has to accept as a consequence of such a rating system.
Jun 2, 2012 4:34 PM

Nov 2008
dwarfwarri said:
More Ao x Fleur please....naru seems so boring...it would definitely be a good change for them to depart from the predictable pattern of first girl=male protagonist's choice.

I don't dislike Naru, but she's a little to meh...I would definitely prefer Ao x Fleur.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Jun 2, 2012 5:45 PM

Feb 2012
Sorry, Naru but I'm rooting for Fleur.

Fleur is the president's daughter, did not see that coming.

Ao hates Renton, he didn't say why but we can guess it's the typical thing. I hope we get some more info on Eureka and him in the next episodes.

That "Listen to the voices of the children of the stars." is killing me, the teasing is everywhere.

AO has hands down the best soudtrack this season, loving it.
Jun 2, 2012 6:21 PM

May 2009
Zhou said:
AO has hands down the best soudtrack this season, loving it.

That's not Aquarion.

To all thinking Ao x Fleur - anime isn't romance genre. Even if Ao is going to end with one of girls it's gonna be Naru, because she is main girl. Just look at opening.
Jun 2, 2012 6:40 PM
Jan 2012
bastek66 said:

To all thinking Ao x Fleur - anime isn't romance genre. Even if Ao is going to end with one of girls it's gonna be Naru, because she is main girl. Just look at opening.

It is the first opening. Wait until the second op, but I unfortunately still think Naru will get Ao...too many people would get angry if they didn't end up together....for whatever reason...
exs120Jun 2, 2012 6:55 PM
Jun 2, 2012 10:48 PM
Apr 2012
bastek66 said:

And the ending. And then there's Gazelle.....
Jun 3, 2012 11:26 AM

Nov 2009
It felt we suddenly forgot about Naru, except for Ao trying to go after her at the beginning of the episode. (so much like Renton!) Still, I find it very much enjoying as we had a lot of Fleur (my favorite character so far) x Ao moments. Elena's comments only made it better! Blanc's intentions seems to be unclear at this time but I think I'm glad that he has more control over the things than it seemed initially.
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...
Jun 3, 2012 11:57 AM

Apr 2011
Filler episode this week. But my question is why does Ao hate his father which I'm assuming is Renton.
Jun 4, 2012 1:49 PM

Jan 2011
triforcebih said:
Meh. I am so pissed that this is gonna be 24 episodes. I dont doubt this show will be good and all but 24 episodes is just short. We will end up having something that would be way better if it went for 40-50 eps..

Would anyone like to see E7 Ost songs played in AO ? I wish they do that, play Niji/Storywriter/Nirvash theme if nothing. I'd scream like a school girl...

I Wish....
Thinking on this though, I just realized how cool it'd be if they suddenly turned the show around to make it feel like a sequel, like if Gekkostate came back, and started playing remixed or possibly normal versions of the Ost from E7.

Overall this was a nice filler episode that brought in some character development, but it didn't really connect to the last episode except for the beginning in which Ao tried to leave but then what, he gets grounded? Also how did the guys know how to make a doctored video like that on their own since they have been living on an island for most their lives? Still... even though you hear Ao say he's mad at his dad, can someone give me definite proof that it's Renton? I think AO would more fun if there was a twist in the plot where Renton isn't his father, but this is just my ramblings.
RiftguardianJun 6, 2012 8:00 PM
Jun 4, 2012 3:15 PM
Jan 2011
VIStrings said:
Mattafixx: good post, but answer me these two questions:

1) Has it occured to you that maybe you're overanalyzing?
2) With that kind of overanalysis, don't you think that at least 95% of all anime ever released could be considered a "really well-written anime"?

I'm well convinced that I could write a post like yours about most anime I've watched in the 5-7 average score range that most people do NOT consider good, let alone "well-written", and it'd make it seem really good as well.

im glad there are people realising your 2nd point...
so now its all about whats good - if it is absolute, then simply good anime is good
but if we go into relativity - good anime is bad anime as it is merely another one in the ocean of good animes

good anime (in absolute ranking) will suffice to me, but its not what i prefer to watch, when i want to watch good anime - i mean relative way of ranking

for now id rate this anime as good - 7/10 on absolute scale, but since most of the anime i rate is good or better, this anime is bad
also the fact that this is disappointing continuation is hard to overcome, sequel has the originality taken away from it by the prequel, so it must to try that much harder

the only thing sequel can do is change something, but its not that you can change anything however you want, i think this anime changed things the wrong direction - it took away the good stuff and took in more generic one - starting with weird out of place monsters
sspitJun 4, 2012 3:20 PM
Jun 5, 2012 6:01 AM

Dec 2010
It was an ok episode, wasn't that great.

Don't get why Ao is mad his dad, Renton. I agree its probably because he wasn't there with Eureka on that island. I'm guessing Renton may have gotten captured perhaps.

I don't think there's anything romantic going on between Fluer and Ao. Its probably just there good friends now since they understand each other.

It would've been nice if there was at least one scene with Naru and Truth to see what is going on with them. Perhaps since there wasn't a scene on this people think this ep was a filler.

Riftguardian said:
Still... even though you hear Ao say he's mad at his dad, can someone give me definite proof that it's Renton?

Who else is going to be Ao's dad... It's completely obvious its Renton the anime doesn't need to spell it out for us.
Jun 5, 2012 10:29 AM

Oct 2011
Man Ao is a whiny girlie little bitch. I am sick of his mood swings and is annoying idealism. God! He was pretty cool in the beginning but now with the RANDOM anger towards his dad is just so annoying.

These people are really pushing forward this annoying little romance between Fleur and Ao but to be honest, I don't care for it one bit. BTW wasn't she into Gazelle a couple episodes back? Isnt that dude like 18 or something? How old is Fleur exactly because she seems a good 3 years older than Ao?

A little development for Fleur but that's not enough. I seen day old cheese have more character than the characters in E7 Ao. E7 takes massive dumps on this and its not even funny. From the characters, to the setting to even the battle themselves.

All you apologetics have been telling us for weeks to keep on waiting and that the characters will be characterized but we haven't seen diddly squat. I am beginning to think we are going to have day by day operations until like the 19 episodes and then finally the Truth vs Ao begins.

Naru I believe is retarded for the most part. You leave your family, your best friend and your damn medicine stock all behind for some sexually confused dude who shoots beams of energy out of chest. Hopefully when we see Naru, she will be covered up a little more instead of dressing up as a cheap street prostitute.

Whole Arabia vs US thing was neat but was forcedly sprinkled in there to make this show more intelligent and it worked. I was actually interested in that aspect of the episode, than Ao bitch fit about his father.

This episode was much better than the last episode and that is the positive.
GovJun 5, 2012 10:36 AM
Jun 7, 2012 3:46 AM

Apr 2009
Ao hates his dad, which to my mind says it's Renton. Man this is getting boring, the only characters I still liked are Elena, the otaku and Noah the sloth. LOL
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 7, 2012 10:18 PM

Feb 2012
Ao hates his father because he was never there for him and his mother. For all he knows his father walked out on him and his mother before he was born. Why should a child feel any love for a father who never even bothered to be around? I’m sure it will be revealed that Renton(whom I’m assuming is the father) wasn’t around for a very justifiable reason which will redeem him in Ao’s eyes when Ao learns the truth, but I betting that won’t happen till much later.

There is some serious potential for something interesting to happen in the love triangle that is developing. Naru may become a villain which would be a really cool direction to take, and Ao would still be hung up on her which would add some drama to an Ao x Fluer pairing. I hope they do something like what happened in Macross because that show had one of the best love triangles I have ever seen.

I still say there is no point in comparing this show to Eureka 7. Eureka 7 is the only anime I can think of that threw a Hail Mary at the end with its plot and got it to work. I’m sure they’re going to try the same thing with Eureka 7 Ao so all the big reveal that explains how this show can possible be a sequel will happen at the very end. The one thing I will say in comparing the two shows is that Eureka 7 had a laid back atmosphere. The show just “followed the waves” and that worked with a ship like the Gekko State. Eureka 7 Ao is more intense with its story which fits the more military and businesslike entity that is Generation Blue. I won’t say that it is a bad call but it does make this show feel significantly different than its predecessor.
Jun 8, 2012 5:21 PM

Oct 2011
Come on AO! u stupid pethetic weekilng! gawd i hate you WHY DO YOU HATE RENTON/SOME OTHER GUY THAT CAN BE YOUR FATHER!?
Jul 14, 2012 7:22 PM

Mar 2009
I feel like there's a crew shortage on Triton. It's the same people all the time.

And... There needs to be more Triton characters imo. Like in the previous E7, there was more people and the more, the merrier. Makes it feel more complete.
Jul 23, 2012 9:43 PM
Mar 2009
am i the only one who thinks fleur's reasons for hating her dad are kind of asinine? her mom died to save her life, so blame your dad for you being alive! it makes no sense, that's what any good parent would do in that situation.
Jul 23, 2012 10:09 PM

Oct 2008
BatOtaku13 said:
am i the only one who thinks fleur's reasons for hating her dad are kind of asinine? her mom died to save her life, so blame your dad for you being alive! it makes no sense, that's what any good parent would do in that situation.

I don't think she truly hates him; she's at that rebellious age where her emotions run wild, and this seems like a perfect excuse to vent them at her paternal figure. That's not to say, however, that her emotions aren't genuine - but rather, if we were to dig deep enough, she probably loves her father a lot.

I gotta say though, from the viewer's perspective, something does indeed seem a bit... off, about Mr. Blanc. There's an underlying detached coolness to his actions and demeanor that hint towards something ominous in the works, regarding his aspirations and the true purpose of Generation Bleu.
Aug 19, 2012 2:17 AM

Jul 2008
Lots of character development but not much plot. Ao needs to go get his girl back.
Jan 3, 2013 2:18 AM

Jan 2012
disregard the slut naru, acquire fleur
May 31, 2013 11:22 PM

Dec 2012
Not getting the hate with the show so far. The last two episodes have been pretty good.

AdolChristin said:
The most interesting point of this episode for me was that we learned that Ao hates his father. But why? How could he even know him? Or does he just hate him because he wasn't there for him as a kid? Or Eureka said bad things about him?

Renton showed animosity towards his father during most of E7.
Aug 21, 2014 2:14 PM

May 2012
Pretty nice episode, especially that ending was nice :p
Oct 17, 2021 2:29 PM

Feb 2012
The Republic of Faisal Arabia. So this is alternate history Saudia Arabia that is no longer a monarchy.

We were given an alternate history setting from episode 1 and I am glad that it is utilizing it. There are visual and narrative callbacks to the original Eureka Seven but it's clear to me that Eureka Seven AO isn't trying to do the same thing Eureka Seven did. While Eureka Seven did plenty of unique futuristic worldbuilding and contained messages about our current world through allegory (e.g. discrimination/persecution of the fictional Vodarac), Eureka Seven AO is set in an alternate version of our world, and I think both the similarities to and differences from ours are what make AO interesting.

Fleur hates Christophe because he was met with the dilemma of choosing whether to save his wife or his daughter, and he chose his daughter. Fleur hates her dad and he is well aware why.

Meanwhile, Ao has never interacted with Renton, he only knows the situation at hand; Eureka was born and Renton was absent and presumes Renton abandoned her.

The Okinawan dudes do their part as members of Generation Bleu and sneakily fake footage in order to motivate Ao and Fleur to return to the fight against the secrets. From the discussion with the American, it was similar to something Rebecka Hallström's PR company once did.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Eureka Seven AO Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - May 24, 2012

156 by waalex11 »»
Sep 12, 2023 7:12 PM

Poll: » Eureka Seven AO Episode (23 &) 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Nov 19, 2012

433 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 28, 2022 5:07 AM

Poll: » Eureka Seven AO Episode 23 Discussion

Kefkiroth - Nov 19, 2012

20 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 28, 2022 4:38 AM

Poll: » Eureka Seven AO Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

bastek66 - Sep 27, 2012

217 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 28, 2022 4:14 AM

Poll: » Eureka Seven AO Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2012

108 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 28, 2022 3:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.