0.0%
England
16.7%
36 votes
Apr 27, 2012 3:19 PM

Jul 2010
Who are you rooting for?

Who do you think will win?

I dont really have a team yet (since none of my home nations are in Europe), but I'm contemplating between Spain/Netherlands/Germany.

I supported Spain in the past Euro and World Cup as I was a Liverpool fan.
Back then, we were basically 1/3 of the Spanish national team when we had Rafa in charge.

But now, we only have Reina, and Enrique isnt going to make the team so I'm not as loyal towards the Spanish contingent anymore.

And then I really want Kuyt to pick up a winner's medal since we couldnt give him anything good at Pool for his years of service (except League Cup), and KD seems to be mistreating him like he is doing to many of our senior players...

And with Germany, I've read and heard many good things about the way they play, nice straightforward fluid attacking football. So I cant wait to watch them, I think they will go quite far.

The only team I dislike is England and I hope they get knocked out in the group stage. I dislike most of their players and also the English FA (most corrupted association, and I have never seen worse referees from any country) I hope Harry takes helm of the team, he has absolutely no tactical nuance. All he says is, "lads go out there and have fun", and oh, no corner kick practice too. Just put it into the box...

I think Spain probably is favourites for me. With Netherlands and Germany really not far behind at all.

What do you guys think?
http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/index.html
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 27, 2012 3:27 PM

Sep 2009
bannie said:

The only team I dislike is England and I hope they get knocked out in the group stage. I dislike most of their players and also the English FA (most corrupted association, and I have never seen worse referees from any country) I hope Harry takes helm of the team, he has absolutely no tactical nuance. All he says is, "lads go out there and have fun", and oh, no corner kick practice too. Just put it into the box..

It's a shame Scotland didn't qualify, then you would have had yet another opportunity to say something rude or ignorant about it.

Still, I shall take your remarks about England as a consolation prize and be on my way.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Apr 27, 2012 3:39 PM

Jul 2010
AnnoKano said:
bannie said:

The only team I dislike is England and I hope they get knocked out in the group stage. I dislike most of their players and also the English FA (most corrupted association, and I have never seen worse referees from any country) I hope Harry takes helm of the team, he has absolutely no tactical nuance. All he says is, "lads go out there and have fun", and oh, no corner kick practice too. Just put it into the box..

It's a shame Scotland didn't qualify, then you would have had yet another opportunity to say something rude or ignorant about it.

Still, I shall take your remarks about England as a consolation prize and be on my way.

Troll. nuff said.

Scotland and qualify should never be in the same sentence.
Last I heard it was going to be Team GB at the Olympics.

And it is indeed a shame- a shame that one of Scotland's only two successful clubs have to resolve to cheating and corruption. And yet they still cant balance the books and have to go into administration...

Now hurry along little kid.
Apr 27, 2012 3:58 PM

Sep 2008
Last time I've played Football Manager, Poland won it.

So I'm gonna vote for Poland.
Apr 27, 2012 4:05 PM

Mar 2011
Going to have to go for Germany, I always supported them as the best European team. They can't beat my favourite Argentina though ;) but for Euro.. I'm going to go for them' They always get far in the competition and they have much more experienced squad now compared to Euro 08 and World Cup 10. Spain seem off the boil lately as well..

The only thing I'm confused about is England atm, I do hope they at least get some progress in, or at least beat Germany in penalties just for their sake
Apr 27, 2012 4:10 PM

Apr 2008
Who I want to win: Netherlands
Who I think will win: Germany
Who hopefully doesn't win: Spain

Not that I have anything against Spain, it's just that one team dominating the tournaments is no fun, and Germany plays good football. I'm looking forward to the lesser known countries playing too though, Ireland, Denmark or the Czech Republic, I think any of those could cause an upset or two (although by no means a cup victory).

As a side note, this should be moved to Casual Chat, but as rules are rather lax at the moment, it can stay here, considering all other sport threads seem to pop up here too.
Apr 27, 2012 4:27 PM

Sep 2009
bannie said:

Troll. nuff said.

And it is indeed a shame- a shame that one of Scotland's only two successful clubs have to resolve to cheating and corruption. And yet they still cant balance the books and have to go into administration...

Oh bannie, you're so easy...

You just keep hating on Scotland for as yet unexplored reasons, and I'll keep on laughing at you because you think it bothers me somehow.

Come on now, have another go. Say something clever about how we all wear dresses or are alcoholics.

Quickly, before I get too bored to bother responding to them anymore.

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."

Apr 27, 2012 4:28 PM

Jul 2010
HATCHA said:
I want England to win, though know it's unlikely. I'm not really bothered who wins if I'm honest, though don't want Spain to win it, I think they've won enough recently. It would be nice to see the Netherlands win something for a change, they've definitely deserved something in recent years at least.

@OP

Your little dig at England is like, WUT. Especially the referee comment; the worst officials you've seen? You probably only watch the prem to begin with so can't even have an opinion on the matter. I also had no Idea you were in the dressing room while 'arry gives his team talks. Guessing the corruption comment is about Suarez, too? Pool fans are such a bore and need get of their imaginary high horse, you're no one special and anyone else would have had the same treatment or worse. Look at Terry, the cunts going to end up in court, be thankful that never happened.

You wish.

Wow, do you even watch football? Another one of those wannabes who know nuts about football and attempt to join a football discussion. Maybe you should read the news and the interviews that Harry gives. Terrible.

And you dont watch footie outside of England huh? Or do you EVEN watch football? Cant blame you for not having seen good referees since ur trapped in your little world of the EPL. lawl.

Terry did not receive special treatment?
Gotta start reading the news buddy, if you ever get them in your little world.
You clearly have no clue what you are talking about.
I'll give you two tips,
1) Learn how the judicial system works and compare it to the FA panel.
2) Learn the maximum punishments for either system too.
Apr 27, 2012 4:34 PM

Mar 2011
HATCHA said:
Guessing the corruption comment is about Suarez, too? Pool fans are such a bore and need get of their imaginary high horse.

What have you got against Liverpool fans? Don't just group every single reds fan having the same opinions with another Liverpool fan, that is just stereotyping

Also I guess your a Newcastle fan huh?
Apr 27, 2012 4:34 PM

Jul 2010
AnnoKano said:
bannie said:

Troll. nuff said.

Oh bannie, you're so easy...

You just keep hating on Scotland for as yet unexplored reasons, and I'll keep on laughing at you because you think it bothers me somehow.

Come on now, have another go. Say something clever about how we all wear dresses or are alcoholics.

Quickly, before I get too bored to bother responding to them anymore.

You give Scottish people a terrible name. Troll on.

Unexplored reasons? Someone clearly quoted a post he did not read. Or lacked the intellect capacity to read it.

And now you mention that you wear dresses and are alcoholics. Nice one.
Some inferiority complex I sense there...
Apr 27, 2012 4:37 PM

Jul 2010
Alfyan said:
HATCHA said:
Guessing the corruption comment is about Suarez, too? Pool fans are such a bore and need get of their imaginary high horse.

What have you got against Liverpool fans? Don't just group every single reds fan having the same opinions with another Liverpool fan, that is just stereotyping

Also I guess your a Newcastle fan huh?

Naw he cant be a Newcastle fan.

The Newcastle fans I've met are nice people.
But he could be the oddball.
At least they play in a cool stadium- Sports Direct Arena.
Apr 27, 2012 4:43 PM

Sep 2009
bannie said:

You give Scottish people a terrible name. Troll on.

I try to do what I can.

bannie said:
Unexplored reasons? Someone clearly quoted a post he did not read. Or lacked the intellect capacity to read it.

Oh no bannie, I was talking about Scotland generally, not about the sports teams. I'm sure you've got a wealth of other material on a range of different Scotland-related subjects, and it'd be a shame if any of that rapier wit of yours was wasted.

bannie said:
And now you mention that you wear dresses and are alcoholics. Nice one.

Well that was pretty much the same thing I said... come on now bannie, you can do better than that. I'm just an amateur compared to the likes of you!

bannie said:
Some inferiority complex I sense there...

You're right. I'm just not as witty or intelligent as you are, and frankly that bothers me. I have to use cheap shots like satire, sarcasm and whimsy in order to make people laugh. You on the other hand just need to speak your mind and everyone around you is in fits of laughter. You're better than me and I know it, and deep down I hate you for it.

WORKS EVERY TIME!

Apr 27, 2012 5:17 PM

Jul 2010
HATCHA said:

Is dis nigga srs...

Probably dont want to say that...

HATCHA said:

Brah, you don't seem to understand what you're implying. I have no doubt Harry said something like if you say he did, I have no reason not to believe you. Though that's not what I was getting at all, it's the fact you've basically just said Harry doesn't care about results as long as players have a laugh. Which is utter, utter Rubbish like you couldn't believe.

He has no tactical nuances. VDV himself says that they dont practice corners and just puts it into the box. Even most Spurs fans want him to leave for the national team now that he's been found lacking.

I'll be glad for him to lead England.
Based on the squad he has, Spurs are underachieving.

HATCHA said:

Making shit up.

You wish I was.

HATCHA said:

Ok, I aint gonna lie. I have no idea about punishments regarding racism for either system, mainly because, until recently it had never been a huge problem, of course it would have been there, but it's only really kicked off to this extent, this season. There's no way Terry didn't get the shit end of the stick though, I certainly know I'd much prefer a 5 week ban than waiting to the build up to court and a possible criminal record and have my England captaincy revoked as well as the possibility of not being selected for the Euro's due to it. Sounds just too good to be true for Terry doesn't it, but at least he never got that shocking 8 game ban. What a fucking relief.

I'll leave that for another day.
It's way too lengthy a discussion and its not what the thread is for.

But feel free to read up the FA's Suarez-Evra incident report and also how both systems work.
Apr 27, 2012 5:46 PM

Dec 2010
^ I'm just struggling to comprehend how you see criminal action as preferential treatment...
Apr 27, 2012 6:03 PM

Jul 2010
FA's fine was 40000pounds.

Terry's maximum sentence?
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4106498/John-Terry-stripped-of-England-captaincy.html

Why double standards?

It would have been impossible to charge Suarez in court either.
There was no witness, and it was just based on Evra's word vs Suarez.
BBC reported, this case was decided on a lower standard that than in criminal court of “beyond all reasonable doubt”.

FA conviction rate is ~ 98%. During the fiasco, there have been lawyers that have questioned any system with a 98% conviction rate.

Basically if you are charged, you are pretty much guilty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16284813

Furthermore, this is a public order offence, not a criminal offence.

And because the case has been handed to the law, the FA no longer has to exercise a sentence on Terry.

Let's move on.

There are alot more nuances to the case that only people who have paid careful attention to the two cases would know. The mainstream media tends to sensationalize things.
bannieApr 27, 2012 6:08 PM
Apr 27, 2012 6:19 PM

Mar 2012
Italy to win with Balotelli getting the winning goal in the final.

Sohei said:
Who I want to win: Netherlands
Who I think will win: Germany
Who hopefully doesn't win: Spain.

Almost everyone I know is of this exact opinion.

I'd like to see the Netherlands win as well, provided they play clean and not the absurdly dirty game we saw in the last WC final. I'd put Spain for who I think will win.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 27, 2012 6:58 PM

Jul 2011
The Netherlands, especially after the steal of WC
Apr 27, 2012 8:55 PM

Apr 2008
CROATIA PLEASE.
I want a team that no one predicts to win the tournament, just like in Greece in 2004.
I favor Ireland too.
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Apr 27, 2012 9:29 PM

Feb 2012
no clue here
not interested in football at all
Apr 27, 2012 10:52 PM

Mar 2012
nathanr said:
no clue here
not interested in football at all

Quality post though.
LoneWolf said:
Apr 28, 2012 6:31 AM

Sep 2011
Netherlands hopefully
Izanagi-94Apr 28, 2012 6:35 AM
Apr 28, 2012 7:38 AM

Dec 2008
Since I don't have a National Team, it's harder for me to enjoy International Football than Club Football. Still, that doesn't mean I won't care about the tournament, though, I will probably be busy studying during most of it.

Winner? One of these: Spain, Netherlands or Germany. Spain have already won the last Euro and the last World Cup. Germany use foreign players to play for them and that bs shouldn't be allowed. So go Netherlands, I guess.
Apr 28, 2012 10:35 AM

Mar 2012
Cowabunga said:
Since I don't have a National Team, it's harder for me to enjoy International Football than Club Football. Still, that doesn't mean I won't care about the tournament, though, I will probably be busy studying during most of it.

Winner? One of these: Spain, Netherlands or Germany. Spain have already won the last Euro and the last World Cup. Germany use foreign players to play for them and that bs shouldn't be allowed. So go Netherlands, I guess.

Almost everyone does that to some extent, but which players are you talking about? I swear almost everyone on their team looks really German, haha.
LoneWolf said:
Apr 28, 2012 11:42 AM

Mar 2012
As A dutch person The netherlands.
Otherwise Germany.
:)
Apr 28, 2012 12:35 PM

Sep 2008
JoshSalas said:
I swear almost everyone on their team looks really German, haha.

Especially Boateng, Aogo and Cacau, yeah. I guess Ozil and Khedira could pass as German when you're drunk.

But I suppose since only one of them wasn't born in Germany, they're pretty legit. No less legit than the Netherlands, at the very least, since the Dutch team always had a bunch of guys from random Caribbean islands in their squad since time immemorial.
Apr 28, 2012 1:19 PM

Mar 2012
seishi-sama said:
JoshSalas said:
I swear almost everyone on their team looks really German, haha.

Especially Boateng, Aogo and Cacau, yeah. I guess Ozil and Khedira could pass as German when you're drunk.

But I suppose since only one of them wasn't born in Germany, they're pretty legit. No less legit than the Netherlands, at the very least, since the Dutch team always had a bunch of guys from random Caribbean islands in their squad since time immemorial.

Don't recognize Aogo at all, but that's three non-white players. At least Ozil and Khedira are white, close enough.
LoneWolf said:
Apr 28, 2012 1:44 PM

Nov 2008
seishi-sama said:
Last time I've played Football Manager, Poland won it.

So I'm gonna vote for Poland.

Oh man, that's totally legit right.
Apr 28, 2012 2:09 PM

Apr 2012
The Netherlands ofcourse, or Germany. Considering that I'm 1/5th German.
All the other teams are fine with me if they win, but please no Spain. I dont like that team, they won by luck in the W.C against NL, and diving to the ground for every small offence.
Watch the FIFA 2010 WC after our free kick, I think I have said enough.
Apr 28, 2012 2:24 PM
Jul 2011
If Turkey would of made it then they would of been my pick. Always got to root for the underdogs. Since its not Turkey then I might as well pick Germany since they are going to be the only ones who can beat Spain (Except Netherlands but I can't stand them)
Apr 28, 2012 3:18 PM

Jan 2011
I didn't even remember this was happening, free beer time I couldn't give less of a shit about football.
Apr 29, 2012 11:55 AM

Jul 2010
The comments on Germany are quite true indeed. They seem to have plucked quite a few players from Turkey or so ;)

But I have nothing against it. I think if you have dual or tri nationality you should get to pick who you wish to play for anyway. And the other nations probably didn't do enough to keep them.

The main problem with Spain would be that there would be a ridiculous amount of pressure and expectation on the team. Plus their team has played the most international games over the past couple years AND the majority of their players have played more games than any other player- Barca and Madrid being so successful.

Have to think that fatigue will play a huge role.

I read that XAVI played what 66 games this season?

It's no wonder Barca looks so lethargic.
Apr 29, 2012 4:50 PM

May 2008
bannie said:
And this is just... GREAT!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1058014/west-brom's-roy-hodgson-to-hold-england-talks?cc=5901&fjghgh

Lol rather him than Redknapp. Redknapp has been so over hyped its not even funny anymore. Also get in Torres, hat trick today, looks like he is picking up form just in time for the two cup finals and the euros. So pleased for him especially as at one point he was most likely not going to be in the Spain squad.
Apr 29, 2012 5:08 PM

Mar 2012
Suarez hat-trick yesterday was pretty beast too, that goal from like 40 yards lol.
LoneWolf said:
Apr 29, 2012 7:17 PM

Jul 2010
Nabi123 said:
bannie said:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1058014/west-brom's-roy-hodgson-to-hold-england-talks?cc=5901&fjghgh

Lol rather him than Redknapp. Redknapp has been so over hyped its not even funny anymore. Also get in Torres, hat trick today, looks like he is picking up form just in time for the two cup finals and the euros. So pleased for him especially as at one point he was most likely not going to be in the Spain squad.

Yeah I think they will have to take him to the Euros with his recent form.

I still dont think it will be based on merit but I think it's only fair a player of his seniority and having had such a huge influence on the past two championships and the fact that he has that potential within him that he is included in the squad.

What's worrisome is that Villa isn't playing for Barca. Is he injured? And he's not going to in fitness for Euro and Torres is still gradually improving.

Either of them wouldn't be the best choices to lead the line at this moment in time. Might have to call upon someone who's not as frequent in the first time like Llorente or something. Or maybe Munian will make the team. I dont follow them close enough to know. Either way they won't have a world class top form striker at the games I'd say.

Whereas the Dutch have VPersie and Germany has Gomez
Apr 29, 2012 8:04 PM

Apr 2012
Seeing how much France and Italy suck now,Spain and whoever gets 1st in the group of death(Germany or Netherlands)will win.Portugal and Denmark are in that group , but it's obvious that they have no chance in surviving that group
Apr 29, 2012 8:11 PM

Jun 2008
Not really a fan but I always liked Spain's games. Their midcourt is amazing as usual.

Will probably abuse my time at volunteering to watch football with the patients, *cough. God I gotta stop coughing. Final exams tomorrow.
Apr 30, 2012 11:57 AM

May 2008
bannie said:
Nabi123 said:
bannie said:

Yeah I think they will have to take him to the Euros with his recent form.

I still dont think it will be based on merit but I think it's only fair a player of his seniority and having had such a huge influence on the past two championships and the fact that he has that potential within him that he is included in the squad.

What's worrisome is that Villa isn't playing for Barca. Is he injured? And he's not going to in fitness for Euro and Torres is still gradually improving.

Either of them wouldn't be the best choices to lead the line at this moment in time. Might have to call upon someone who's not as frequent in the first time like Llorente or something. Or maybe Munian will make the team. I dont follow them close enough to know. Either way they won't have a world class top form striker at the games I'd say.

Whereas the Dutch have VPersie and Germany has Gomez

Yeah villa broke his leg near Christmas time I think. They will probably start with llorente with Torres on the bench. I dunno I think llorente is up there with van persie and Gomez he just needs to move to a bigger club to prove it.
Apr 30, 2012 3:53 PM

Apr 2012
I really want Germany to win this time :D
awesome set of young players they got :D ^__^

2nd pref would be Spain :D though aging side :)
Apr 30, 2012 4:45 PM

Mar 2012
I wouldn't really call Spain an aging side. Puyal, Xavi, and Alonso are the only crucial players over 30 (not including Casillas since goalies peak later). That and considering the amount of young talent they have on the bench, they can substitute their older midfielders without a second thought if they need to.
LoneWolf said:
May 5, 2012 8:01 PM

Jul 2010
JoshSalas said:
I wouldn't really call Spain an aging side. Puyal, Xavi, and Alonso are the only crucial players over 30 (not including Casillas since goalies peak later). That and considering the amount of young talent they have on the bench, they can substitute their older midfielders without a second thought if they need to.

Agreed.
And also. Spain doesnt need the legs. They just keep possession like Barca
May 8, 2012 5:25 PM

Mar 2012
Bad news for Spain, Puyol ruled out for the tournament due to knee surgery. Huge loss.
May 8, 2012 6:20 PM

Mar 2012
Just heard, his hair will also be missed.
LoneWolf said:
May 9, 2012 6:18 AM

May 2008
TravSavage said:
Bad news for Spain, Puyol ruled out for the tournament due to knee surgery. Huge loss.

Hmm they will miss him a lot. Who will come in for him? I don't know too much about spanish centre backs. Ramos maybe? With someone like Jose Enrique coming in at fullback?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.