Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 »
Jan 10, 2014 10:21 AM

Jun 2013
Badass conclusion to a badass series!

During the last episodes I would often wonder if Yuji could have done things differently and no doubt he could. He was too naive to fully commit to the creation of the new world, never truly embraced the "evil role" he chose to play (he could have killed Shana, Margery and Wilhelmina as early as in episode 4). He didn't even consider talking it out with the flame haze (which i kind of understand as both sides are full of pride and thickheaded). But Shana! She would have listened! She would have helped him and maybe even Margery and Wilhelmina too!!!

This is the kind of aftertaste this show left on me while simultaneously being awesome and having a very powerful and emotional conclusion!

8/10 to it and the series as a whole.
Jan 14, 2014 11:44 PM

Jul 2010
It took me far too long to get here, but I finally finished the final season of Shana. Perhaps it is contradictory to say that the series couldn't maintain my attention during its original simulcast run, but once I got past the midpoint while watching the dub version on Funimation.com, I had a seriously hard time shutting down the player for the night until it was over.

How exactly does a show that I put on hold because I found it a bit slow and the story to poorly tied together end up with me tearfully clicking on the "10" button when I rate it?

This episode and the couple of episodes before it, that is how! The alteration that Shana made to the psalm went a long way toward repairing my problems with the series. Yuji's plan was sensible, but ultimately catastrophically dangerous (because Yuji and the Snake didn't understand that it was the devouring of human souls that cause the problem, not the use of the power of existence, which would mean that the unrestrained devouring of humans on Xanadu would result in an imbalance that would destroy all three worlds within centuries.) By adding in that one little proviso, Shana created the world which satisfied both her sense of justice and Yuji's drive to protect Shana and the other Flame Hazes. The fact that, in the end, the denizens chose Shana's Xanadu of their own free will was a pleasant surprise. My guess is that the combination of the Dues Ex Machina prophesy about finding a new way to live and the efforts of the gods of Earth to drive home the reason they were punishing the denizens and trying to prevent them from reaching paradise sunk in and made them realize what needed to be.

I even can handle Yuji's pigheaded insistence that he had to be punished. What I don't get is why he felt that he had to punish Shana as well. Lamia's gift to them, using "the power of the strongest unrestricted spell" and the excess power of existence in the air in the final throes of creation, was a fine ending to the story.

The fact that Shana's signature phrase returned didn't hurt! I'd missed that during the final season...

So, even though I may re-evaluate my score at a later time and reduce it to something more reasonable... for now I score it 10/10. If it weren't for the 2nd season the entire series would be that high. As it is, Shana and Haruhi have some talking to do about who gets to be in my top 15 series list... I wish that mental discussion could actually be animated. It would be epic!
Feb 11, 2014 12:24 PM

Jan 2013
Well it has ended.. I could say it was kind of weird because I can't really understand why the flame haze wanted to go to the new world but whatever, also it seems everyone got everything they wanted to have. Except for those who died.
Oh and the kiss happened too, well good thing it did :).

In any case this season was full of fun so it get's 10/10.
Have fun with your next quest ya all. :)
Feb 27, 2014 10:40 AM

Dec 2013
Very happy with the conclusion of this series.

I'm so glad that Shana and Yuji finaly get together and get to spend eternity together, seen as they are both immortal. I was happy they also sealed it with a kiss, It only took 76 episodes for this to happen.
Though I feel Yoshida got screwed, it was a happy ending for almsot everyone, with all the charecers getting together or staying with their respective partners. Whereas Yoshida is basically left behind by Yuj, with nobody. So much action, so much romance, amazing ending 8/10!

JC Staff did an excellent job!

Whats my age again? WHERE IS MY ASIAN FRIEND!!!!!!!
Mar 1, 2014 10:28 AM
Oct 2013
I didn't think an afterlife even existed in the Shana universe, but Sydonay and Hecate went to one? (I know they'll come back, but they're still dead for the time being). I wonder if everyone goes to it.
Apr 4, 2014 4:50 PM

Sep 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0FrECcP6a8

The Shakugan no Shana series will always have a soft spot in my heart.
Apr 7, 2014 5:37 AM

Mar 2013
An extremely painful series to go through, I regret giving this a try, although I am glad to finally be done with this.

Season 3 had the most pointless 20 episode fight ever. Anytime i hear someone complain about long fights in DBZ or whatever, i will point to this atrocity and say - Look here is an endless fight, that accomplished absolutely nothing, completely failed w/its loose definition of good vs evil, as the Flame Hazes were the True Villains, bloodthirsty and without a smidgen of reason for fighting besides for the sake of fighting, while the Tomogara had a legit plan and were perfectly reasonable. What's worse the battle is so 1 sided as to be criminal, with basically no Flame Hazes of import dying (like the Universally Despised Old Hag Nun Bitch), and a plethora of likable badass Tomogara dying (Eel Decarabia, Sarbac, Fecor etc etc).

I can go on dissecting plot holes and other flaws, but i wanna be done with this trash immediately.

I give this a generous 5/10 due to episode 11 with the Margery/Keisaku sex scene. That is nearly the only thing this season did right. I have lowered my scores for the other seasons as well, because it would be a disservice for poor unsuspecting Anime Fans to pick this up due to having acceptable ratings when it really shouldn't.
SlickDApr 7, 2014 5:48 AM
Apr 9, 2014 7:43 PM

Aug 2013
Damn, for those peoples that were watching the giant mecha-like fighting, it must have been like an LSD trip... xD

And so it ended, happily but kinda bittersweetly in some ways. First, Yoshida have been pretty much ditched away by Yuuji. I mean, she had literally zero chance, but he could have least said good bye x)
Also, well, like Yuuji said, he killed a lot Flame Hazes, Tomogara and other people to achieve his goal. It was a really pragmatic plan. Also, it kinda sadden me to think that Yuuji parents will never know that they had another son. That's pretty horrible in my opinion.

But hey, we got a kiss, something that almost seem to be taboo in Japan! (*cough cough* KyoAni *cough*)

Sydonay death was kinda sad. Well, it was sad before the scene with Hecate, but, you know... :P

I think that it concluded pretty much everything. It was in overall a solid end, even if it kinda leave a taste that a lot of death could have avoided with a bit of talking...
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 1, 2014 1:23 PM

Aug 2010
I have speed watch the anime with wikia, I think it was a good anime, but the last episode explains a lot, and give you a great view and that make this anime very good.

It explain that Yuuji ghost (mind) & Shana (mind)* return to the world where they belong, so they release the torches that they have been used, the flame haze who are remained are moving the the remained denizen to make balance in the world, so after time they (two sides) will are return to the new world.

Also, actually the two sides 'denizen & flame haze' are intruding to the world, so they will leave this world. they where actually trapped in this world and there mission was to make this world stable, so in balance, so they won't will day.

So these two sides didn't belong in the world here, so they create a alternate world for them to live.

And as last the thing what most bother was the fight and not knowing what Yuuji and Shana want to accomplished, that was a disadvantage, whereby the climax dropped long wait to come.

So in the end, this is a sad anime, where 'fantasy creatures' are trapped in the human world with a bond 'to make balance', in there head they seek a world that they desired. And that came when Yuuji & Shana accomplish this wish.

*The reason why Yuuji return is because, he is a special torch, if he didn't had a treasure tool, he never would return where he belong, because a normal torch belong to the regular world.
EternalwishMay 1, 2014 1:39 PM
May 6, 2014 8:07 AM

Apr 2012
Prior to watching this, I heard great things about this season from my friend, so I thought I would be watching a 10/10 anime.

A few episodes into it, maybe 8-9/10.

Then, after mid-season, the score drastically dropped, until I almost thought I would give it a 4/10 at some point.

After finishing this episode, I thought the conclusion is alright, despite the random introduction of "irrelevant" characters with no explained back stories, the often confusing (in a bad way) plot, and questionable character motives.

After all, Yuji and Shana did get a happy ending together.

I am not sure about the light novel but the last season has been a dismal adaptation. I don't blame JC Staff though.

5/10 for Season 3; 7.5/10 for S2; 7/10 for S1

PS: one thing they did right is giving Yoshida a forever alone ending. She deserves it.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Aug 1, 2014 11:45 AM
Jul 2014
11/10 nothing more to say
Aug 4, 2014 12:03 PM

Feb 2014
Just thinking that Shana stayed with this Yuji... After what he did to make his intentions to come true... using everyone feelings and etc... Poor everyone... and Yoshida..?! LOL Yeah, in season 3 i barely could bear him... barely no, i definitely couldn't bear him.

Why Shana?! Shana was so love blind that no matter what he was doing she still continued to cuddle Yuji's head... "Yuji..." here, "Yuji..." there... "Yuji i love you", "I will change this future to be by your side...", "it was just you say that i would be by your side".... C'mon Shana.. give me a break...

His ideas/intentions were OK?! Yes.... But what he did to make it true made me hate him... using most of the characters feelings to make his ideas/intentions to come true, for me, was unforgivable....

Anyway, i loved (love) Wilhelmina!! She was the best for me... i also enjoyed (enjoy) Margery-san; Yoshida-san in Season 2 grew a lot as a character, she had courage and confessed 2 times to Yuji (Yoshida was another, as Shana, blinded by the love for Yuuji...); and, i also enjoyed (enjoy) Oga-chan and Eita... they being together made me happy. Oh.. i enjoyed (enjoy) Shana too... ^_^

I found the story, sometimes, a bit complicated to understand... Some information was a bit confusing sometimes... "sometimes" being humble =P

Overall:
-Season 1 -> 6.5/10 but i'll score 7/10.
-Season 2 -> 8/10;
-Shakugan no Shana "S" -> 8/10;
-Season 3-> 6.5/10 but i'll score 7/10.
TechOtakuAug 4, 2014 11:55 PM
Aug 12, 2014 8:59 AM
Apr 2013
Satsugai73 said:
This anime along with Zero no Tsukaima is fucking awesome! epic ending holy shit

Yuji lost the battle to Shana at the end it suck but w/e lol

shana didnt defeat yuji in the novel, shana didnt hit yuji with a massive fire ball. thing resolve in other way.
Aug 14, 2014 3:09 PM

Sep 2013
So bad that it's actually good.
BUT why the f### did Wilhelmina and the baby go to Xanadu? LOL WUT
Why did Shana still fight with Yuji when everything ended in quite good way?
Why did they both go to Xanadu as well? Is it because noone would remember Shana? Or maybe just to make things more complicated?
What a bad episode. What a good episode. 9_6
Aug 23, 2014 3:21 AM

Nov 2012
Yeh, It took some time to finish whole series, here comes my thoughts.

1st season - the best one, aura of mystery, feely op&ed, pleasure to watch 8/10

2nd season - struggle... struggle to go trough about 10 shitty episodes of slice of life, later it picked up, low 7/10

shana s - haven't anything to say

HERE IS A BIG HOLE

shana final - due to meeting with big hole, I had problem to get into this season, yeah it's a lot of cool action, but I feel like there is no enough explanation, nice ed, good to hear first op again, low 7/10
Aug 23, 2014 2:37 PM

Aug 2013
That was an excellent ending. I thought this season was kind of mediocre up until the last two episodes. Now I think that it's great!
Aug 31, 2014 6:01 PM
Aug 2014
My only quandary, do those who were left behind remember both Yuji and Shana (Kazumi, Eita, Satou)?
Sep 16, 2014 8:53 PM
Dec 2013
7 freaking years for that mediocre kiss?!?! ヽ(#`Д´)ノ
Sep 17, 2014 11:19 AM

Aug 2013
I agree that there was not enough explanation and I thought that the final fight was meaningless. What were they fighting for? I guess Sydonay just wanted to die and be with Hecate.
Sep 29, 2014 8:52 PM

Jul 2014
What the hell did I just watch?

I mean... I get most of it but I don't get what people are in love with here. I'm glad they are finally together but I hope someone can clear this up for me...

Was Yuji trying to create this new world knowing the Tomogara would still attack humans? Or did he think he will somehow convince them not to do this?

I felt the Flame Haze were doing the right thing the entire time, contrary to what a lot of comments say. At first it seemed like they wanted to stop the new world from forming, which is fine because those problems would still exist (just because there is free power of existence does not mean they wouldn't kill humans, they mentioned that more or less in a previous episode). In the end, the Flame Haze were actually adding the law that humans should not be consumed.

So... the Flame Haze did the right thing, allow a world where humans can't be consumed, the Tomogara ended up wanting to live with humans too when they made their wish to Yuji. Then what does Yuji think he needs to go there for? They already made up their mind not to do so and I'm sure will police themselves on it since the vast majority wished to coexist with humans.

Basically Yuji was okay with creating an alternate world not considering that humans could be consumed, and only because Shana added the law, and the Tomogara, after seeing Shana's conviction in this decided they wanted to coexist too? How is he forgiven then? Did he know Shana would come along and do all this for sure?

And how did Yuji even meet the God of Creation? How did he know about him? I feel like his whole goal seemed pretty logical to both sides, why did he not ever discuss it with anyone... meh, too many details that don't sit well with me. I loved the ending involving all the other characters but this whole Yuji thing really blows my mind.

I feel like the season was missing like 8 episodes of context. Maybe could have even had a season before this to introduce so many of these characters, items, spells, introduce the God of Creation, show the Tomogara's intentions, or show that they can feel some sort of compassion instead of suddenly decided to want to coexist with humans.

I loved the story of these 3 seasons, and this season had its great moments. Amazing action scenes, and some real tear-jerking moments. But the holes are too much to overcome for me... I'm a bit unsatisfied 3/5

EDIT: After thinking over it, and reading over the motivations of some of these characters I think I was wrong on some of my points. I think back to this series fondly, I'd probably bump my rating up a point
MaJiC27Oct 5, 2014 3:59 PM
Oct 14, 2014 4:46 AM
Oct 2014
The fact that shakugan no shana is over and zero no tsukaima is over i don't think i can stop crying i just can't stop thinking about these animes even after all these years i'm just so in love...

I don't think any other anime could top these animes for me... 7 years most of us followed this. A lot of other animes like these 2 were just as good but for some reason never made it past season 1 T_T I still cry everyday sorry for being a drama queen but I just had to get that out lol... waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh i miss shanna yuji i love you guys TTTTTTTTTTTT___________TTTTTTTTTTTTT
Oct 14, 2014 4:49 AM
Oct 2014
Scykaster said:
7 freaking years for that mediocre kiss?!?! ヽ(#`Д´)ノ

I know right? when i try to be angry about i just can't cause i loved this anime so much idk if any other anime will ever top this shakugan no shana and zero no tsukaima 7 fucking years !@@!@!@!@!@!@!@
Oct 30, 2014 8:59 AM

Jan 2008
Shana and Yuuji finally kissed. That was worth all the waiting. Period.

And I just love it when characters gain new powers towards the end of the series. Glad I allotted extra time to finally finish this season.

I just wanna see how Justus turns out. He was adorabe! :)
Nov 22, 2014 3:47 PM
Aug 2012
omg thank god its finished the season was terrible massive war for no reason the flame hazes where fighting because they wanted to rather than for an actual goal and the hole haha we changed it so the tomgura couldnt eat people in the new world is pointless as the hole idea of that world was to stop them eating peoples existence by giving them an infinite amount so they wouldnt need to take it from humans >.> stupid reason to keep the series going for a few more episodes and then having a fight afterwards for no reason if she wanted to say take me with u i love u then say it dont attack him with lethal shots not knwing before hand that the humans near by wld be safe because of the majors insignia around the area. to re iterate my point, flame hazes are evil both yuji and shana are ridiculous how many people died so they cld be together they weren't so different in the first place that they needed to change a world to be together. dont get me wrong the first season and second seasons where great but this one was pointless i wld have prefered a special episode after the second episode where he disappears and then shana convinces him to come back they say i luv you to each other kiss they live and fight together happily ever after anyone agree?
Nov 26, 2014 4:57 AM

Nov 2014
kingfelix92 said:
omg thank god its finished the season was terrible massive war for no reason the flame hazes where fighting because they wanted to rather than for an actual goal and the hole haha we changed it so the tomgura couldnt eat people in the new world is pointless as the hole idea of that world was to stop them eating peoples existence by giving them an infinite amount so they wouldnt need to take it from humans >.> stupid reason to keep the series going for a few more episodes and then having a fight afterwards for no reason if she wanted to say take me with u i love u then say it dont attack him with lethal shots not knwing before hand that the humans near by wld be safe because of the majors insignia around the area. to re iterate my point, flame hazes are evil both yuji and shana are ridiculous how many people died so they cld be together they weren't so different in the first place that they needed to change a world to be together. dont get me wrong the first season and second seasons where great but this one was pointless i wld have prefered a special episode after the second episode where he disappears and then shana convinces him to come back they say i luv you to each other kiss they live and fight together happily ever after anyone agree?

I would of preferred your ending. Idk I just feel a bitter taste after finishing Season 3 recently. The ending episode felt too rushed. Wanted some time with just them. No pointless fighting. Just two people in love having a good ending. Oh well. At least we got a happy ending overall. :)
IMO: Kiss was crap. It took this long and THAT'S what he gives her? Smh
[/center]
[/center]
Dec 2, 2014 10:14 PM

Oct 2012
My favorite character appear for a few seconds and died in S1 ep 1....only to reappear this episode for a few seconds. Damn!

But good story overall though I do see quite a lot of missing info, might just go read the LN to cover what the anime didn't cover.
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Dec 4, 2014 8:46 AM
May 2011
So what was the point of the flame hazes going to the new world?

Just to kill tomogara? Its not like they can eat humans now.

I don't think there's ever been another anime where i wanted all the "good" guys to die, and the supposed "bad guys" to kill them off in the most horrific way possible. It felt like Bal Masque had actual logical reasons for doing what they were doing, and all the flame hazes were doing was trying to keep the status quo so they could go on killing shit just for the sake of it.

The first season was great, second season was okay... if you ignore everything with kazumi in it. 3rd season started off good then dropped off to insane retarded levels. There were some things good but they were under so much garbage it was hard to enjoy them.

Also maybe its just me but the whole "shut up" thing shana did got really old after the first season, they just seemed to throw it in there just for the sake of it.

In the first season she used it and it worked, because when she said it she was actually annoyed at the person and wanted them to shut the hell up. But from season 2 on they just seemed to turn it into a catchphrase and that made it cheesy as hell imo.

MaJiC27 said:
Was Yuji trying to create this new world knowing the Tomogara would still attack humans? Or did he think he will somehow convince them not to do this?

That seemed to me like it was his main goal, he didn't want to force them to stop (via a law) he wanted them to live with humans and understand them.
TylerrDec 4, 2014 8:58 AM
Jan 6, 2015 4:52 PM

Oct 2014
Awesome ending to a pretty good show! That happy ending made my day :D.

Liked this season the most tbh.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2015 4:31 PM
Sep 2014
My God. How to throw good series down the drain 101.
The first two seasons were great, it had enough action, enough drama.

But this season,. Even tho they started epic, they just destroyed it with last 5,6 episodes.
Those 5,6 episodes are the reason why i dislike this type of shows.
Endless fight. They fight 2 minutes, then talk 5 minutes, then something amazing happen for one side after that they take tea break while we watch other group fight. And then same thing again, fight-talk-amazing stuff to 2nd group-tea break (repeat same thing till group 5). Now, back to group 1. Tea break is over in next episode. Other side expected that "amazing thing" will happen so they did something "amazing" that will counter other other side-talk-tea break. And so on for next 5 episodes.

Show just fell apart in 2nd half of the season because useless stuff and annoying characters ( Yea Dantalion, im pointing at you and your annoying robot.)
But that aside, i endured Suzumiya Haruhi's Endless Eight so i endured this one too.

I cant ignore good side of this season also. It has great art, great music, plenty of interesting characters and it has really epic moments that gave me goosebumps ( the part when Yuuji come back to town)
Jan 9, 2015 5:23 PM

May 2014
Jeez... of the whole series, I think I enjoyed only a few episodes.
And of this last season? Probably none of it.

I guess Sabrac as MC would have made this a better show. A less naive one at least.
Jan 10, 2015 6:46 PM

Nov 2014
I enjoyed this series as much as I should have!
I did not like the final season as much, I mean Yuji turning evil was a little of a shock to me, but he wanted the world to be a better place & he should have told Shana about his plan, but in the end it turned out to be a happy ending but 7 years waiting for a 2 second kiss sucked!

But all in all, the series was brilliant, I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed The Familiar of Zero.

An 8/10 for me. :)
Jan 15, 2015 11:50 PM

Aug 2014
although the ending was a happy one i didn't enjoy it as much as i thought i would, they left earth to go to xanadu why did they do that? why didn't they just stay here on earth, now cause of that no one remembers them even his parents. the love scene at the end felt to rush did not get enough of that after a few seconds kiss and for some wtf reason they decided to go to xanadu
Feb 25, 2015 4:51 PM

Sep 2014
wtf they killed sydonay? bastards. The only person loyal to yuji? bastards.
Mar 12, 2015 7:08 PM

Dec 2011
Not going to lie... I actually did cry. I can't beleive Shana is over. Really it has been an amazing 72 episdoes and 3 seasons. No way I can forget a show like this. I was so attached the the cast it was crazy.

On to my reaction of the episode.... I was a decent ending. No b.s. like in most anime endings. But I can't bring myself to feel this is a happy ending even though the show plays it off as one. Can Yuji and Shana really be okay with going to a new world and leaving behind Misaki city? Yuji never got a chance to even meet his younger sibling not mention he won't ever see his mother again. Hell, she won't even know Yuji was her son. Then there's Shana, she was very close to his family. She really cared about his mother a lot.

I'm just sad that the main cast got split up between two worlds I guess. Poor Kazumi is left behind with NO ONE. I can only image how lonely she is. As for Margery and Keisaku... I guess they have each other but will he become a flame haze too? Cuz if not Margery is going to out live him and that's just depressing. (they could have alteast expanded a bit on that) Speaking of those two.... was hoping we would have gotten to see more of them. Not just a quick scene at Keisaku's house with her drunk and him on the computer or something.

All in all, pretty good ending but it made me feel a bit empty. I just can't beleive it's really over.
Jun 19, 2015 8:33 AM
Mar 2015
junebug13 said:
Poor Kazumi is left behind with NO ONE.
Maybe she competes with Yukari for Ike. I mean Yukari told Yuuji that she has a crush on Ike in the very first episode. Then you have Episode 22 I think of Season 2 that Ike confesses his love to Kazumi. So perhaps Kazumi moved on after seeing Yuuji and Shana Kiss and leave for Xanadou
Jul 1, 2015 2:07 AM
Jul 2015
This anime got me to the end with a bang. Even from me seeing this kind of ending (or somewhat closr to it) it still was the best. Still dont know why some others disliked kazumi when in youtube.5/5!
Jul 13, 2015 9:53 AM
Jul 2015
A very strong season + ending ! The episodes made me long for more and more which is what I like when I watch an anime. And finally THE KISS !! The part I think everyone was waiting for during all of the seasons! Again though a little bittersweet , having to say goodbye to yet another fantastic anime . But the ending did not disappoint ! The writers did an Amazing job! 10/10 !
Aug 20, 2015 11:17 AM

Aug 2010
Well, it's been a while since I've witnessed such an unsatisfying ending and I watched plenty of shit. The hack-o-meter didn't quite reach Kawahara Reki levels but the author deserves the Nasu Asspull Lifetime award without a doubt for his stuff. Let's hope he never publishes anything again.

To give credit where it's due this season had a lot of fighting drastically reducing Yoshida's inner monologuing and the teenage romantic angst (Yuuji's chuunishit not withstanding) so it was easier to sit through. Still, the bad writing killed anything that was good 4/10.

Also, Margery is best girl.
Oct 8, 2015 5:48 AM

Oct 2015
I absolutely loved it. I hold a very special place in my heart for the whole series and I couldn't have been more satisfied with how it ended. Going into the third and final season I was a bit worried. I'd read a lot of reviews and they were mixed. Some loved it and applauded J.C. Staff's efforts to actually bring closure to such a beloved series while others thought it was too bloated and convoluted. The main complaints were that there were too many characters without any backstory, that Yuji took too long to say certain things and that the final season was just one big battle. Fortunately for me I fell in the camp with those who liked it and actually loved the season for all the reasons everyone disliked it.

First and foremost I loved the final episode because it brought closure. I applaud J.C. Staff for doing what so many anime companies are too scared to do. I really get sick of watching an anime, becoming invested in it's characters and story, being dedicated to sticking it out no matter what only to NEVER be given a proper ending. Way too many anime's are left wide open with very few mysteries solved and no ending because the company might, possibly, probably not someday come back to it. Let's face it, except in a few extreme cases once they're over......they're over and when they do come back to the rare series it's usually to redo it like they did with Ultimate Hellsing. So I congratulate and applaud J.C. Staff for not only going in a completely new and different direction with their series but for also having the courage to finish it out and allow all of us to give Shana a proper send off.

I don't like writing spoilers so I'm trying to be vague but the last few minutes of the series were worth watching the whole thing for. The conversation at the end and the resolution to the series put a big smile on my face and I felt it was the only resolution that made sense for all parties involved plus there were some really nice surprises in there that I didn't see coming.

----- MAJOR SPOILER -----
Plus Shana fulfilled her dreams and totally beat Yuji up and made him listen. :D Just like she said she would in that speech she'd given him a while back. When she first said that to Yuji I was totally cracking up. Basically her speech was: "I'm going to beat Yuji up and I'll decide what we should do with his powers!" hehehe, that's so Shana. Stupid Yuji.
---- END OF SPOILER -----

Now was it a perfect ending? No, nor was it a perfect series. So far only Puella Magi Madoka Majica fits that bill for me. But even though it was far from perfect I loved the series even more than Madoka. Shana has become my favorite anime just for the sheer nostalgia and how it made me feel. Everyone who worked on the show obviously put a lot of love into it, especially Shana.

A few of the problems I had with the end were:
I wish they had better explained who Lamies was and what he was trying to accomplish. They didn't even show what he was holding. Thankfully I already knew who and what Lamies was and what he was trying to accomplish. The same thing goes for Seere Habichtsburg. His relationship to the professor should have been better explained. Once again thankfully I'd cheated and looked up the cast on their wiki pages. There's a lot of other little small things that anyone who didn't already know wouldn't catch. Even season 1 had lots of nods to what was going to happen in the final season. At one point in the OVA's Alastor mentions he knew a lord that was obsessed with paintings and that's a nod to Lamies but in the final show it just shows him holding an object then a girl's face pops up and he's gone. WTF was that? I knew but somebody who didn't bother to look them up would have no freaking clue. This is just one of those series that you should really read the manga, light novels and read about the characters and plot online then watch again and you'll catch so many little things you missed the first time. Now it's not required. Your enjoyment of the ending won't lessen too much if you already love the final season but it will help to explain a few small things.

There will always be a warm place in my heart for Shana and the original theme song still evokes some of the best memories within me. Cudo's to J.C. Staff for having the courage to not only try something new but to also end it. For better or worse their commitment has to be commended. I loved the series and especially loved the last episode. I would have been more than happy to have the battle dragged out another 24 episodes but alas all good things must come to an end. I'll miss Shana, Yuji, Margery and everyone else. Mainly I'll miss Shana saying shut up, shut up, shut up and her love of all things Melon Pan. Man I really want to try some Melon Pan now. :D
Dec 6, 2015 6:21 PM
Dec 2015
Liked it. Ending makes me happy and sad. Yuji's parents, and some of his friends don't remember him which I find sad. Three seasons and they got a kiss. Long but good.

I heard that the light novels or manga went a bit farther than the anime, is that true?
Dec 8, 2015 12:02 AM

Dec 2012
NightOfDeath said:
Liked it. Ending makes me happy and sad. Yuji's parents, and some of his friends don't remember him which I find sad. Three seasons and they got a kiss. Long but good.

I heard that the light novels or manga went a bit farther than the anime, is that true?

There are three light novel short stories right now that take place after the last volume (another was announced recently).

Future - Focuses on Kazumi, Margery etc in the human world

Hope - Focuses on Yuji, Shana, Wilhelmina etc in Xanadu

Encore - I think this focuses on Bel Peol and other remnants of Bal Masque

None are translated yet.
Jan 4, 2016 9:28 PM
Sep 2015
This was a fun series to go through and at least it had an ending where most animes never end or they leave you with half of and ending.

I thought it was funny the last arc was based on stopping Yuuji from opening Xanadu and they all end up joining them into the new world except for a small group.

At least you finally got to see the kiss that everybody's been waiting for since the beginning.
Feb 13, 2016 12:37 PM

Jul 2015
HOOOLY SH!T, that was so cool episode!! After masterous consecutive outsmarting, the final quarrel between two lovers was just sooo funny and reminded me of the good ol' times. The climate, the feelings, the voice acting were sooo good! If that wasn't enough, they palyed my favourite song from that series during it and I almost cried when I heard it!

Still, I don't get when that metamorphing guy and Margery absorbed that much Power of Existence but I may have missed that. Also, I'm kinda disappointed that Sakai actually was concious that entire time. He reminds me of Anakin Skywalker (from Star Wars duh!).

But we didn't get to see Yoshida becoming a Flame Haze. Even though I wanted it, now I see the current status quo is the more proper one.

Overall, Shakugan no Shana series wasn't the masterpiece but was certainly the great anime. Season 3 was adapted good as far as I know (I never read LN) and I enjoyed it very much. Now I just need to watch OVAs and maybe the specials.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 9, 2016 2:12 PM

Feb 2015
wow I will really miss this series, even though the third season was a bit of a curve ball. I have to say JC Staff did a great job and that final couple of minuets with that son was beautiful.
Mar 15, 2016 11:41 AM

Mar 2016
Shakugan No Shana is a series I only got into last year and I devoured the anime and became obsessed with it the more I watched.

I can't think of one moment in any of it where I said "This is no longer as good". It never dipped as far as I'm concerned.

Season 3 is my favorite, but I also agree with the notion it was like homework. You had to pay attention.

The thing is, Shana is a smart series and if you're really into it, you're going to want to know the little implied details they didn't have time for. The whole time I was watching it, I was devouring one wikipedia page at a time.

OH, I GET WHAT SEERE'S RELATIONSHIP WITH DANTALION IS. OH, I GET WHO MAMMON IS, ETC.

What's cool too is; all those details were still there, but you had to find them. It's like watching a movie adaptation of a book you love; the book will outright explain it whereas the movie will have the same scene, but you have to infer the meaning yourself.

It worked for me.

However, I am in 100% disagreement that a continuation should follow what happens in Xanadu. That is completely unnecessary.
It needs a continuation so we can see Mathilde and the first great war.

When you consider that that unseen part of the story so greatly influences season 3, it's a missing part of the story. And, Merihim/Shiro, Wilhilmina, and Tendokyuu were all set up as the finale of that ancient battle very well in Shana 1, but we still didn't get an answer.

Basically everything in the manga adaptation of Eternal Song needs to be told. It's a missing part of the story.

And to any and all Shana fans, I have something to share with you.
My rewatch of the series had me kinda disappointed with Friagne's series exit, especially after I saw the film and read what happens in the light novel.
I took it upon myself to re-edit an amalgamation of the series and film to make a new episode 6.

This only works with Japanese and english subtitles, because I had to alter a few subs to keep continuity tight.
Most of it involved Yuji's knowledge of the City Devouring; in the film he does (Lamies doesn't exist), whereas in the series, he does.

That's really the only change. My goal was to make this fit between episodes 5 and a 6 and not make Friagne come across as a disappointing little weakling, but a genuine threat, as he was intended.

Check it out, for any who's interested. I just finished this last week or so.

Here's to hoping for more Shana!
CrimsonCWApr 28, 2016 9:00 PM
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Mar 16, 2016 2:30 AM
Mar 2016
If there was another season , that would be great ...... Its an amazing series ... I really loved it.........
Apr 6, 2016 12:57 AM
Apr 2016
RealCW said:
Shakugan No Shana is a series I only got into last year and I devoured the anime and became obsessed with it the more I watched.

I can't think of one moment in any of it where I said "This is no longer as good". It never dipped as far as I'm concerned.

Season 3 is my favorite, but I also agree with the notion it was like homework. You had to pay attention.

The thing is, Shana is a smart series and if you're really into it, you're going to want to know the little implied details they didn't have time for. The whole time I was watching it, I was devouring one wikipedia page at a time.

OH, I GET WHAT SEERE'S RELATIONSHIP WITH DANTALION IS. OH, I GET WHO MAMMON IS, ETC.

What's cool too is; all those details were still there, but you had to find them. It's like watching a movie adaptation of a book you love; the book will outright explain it whereas the movie will have the same scene, but you have to infer the meaning yourself.

It worked for me.

However, I am in 100% disagreement that a continuation should follow what happens in Xanadu. That is completely unnecessary.

When you consider that that unseen part of the story so greatly influences season 3, it's a missing part of the story. And, Merihim/Shiro, Wilhilmina, and Tendokyuu were all set up as the finale of that ancient battle very well in Shana 1, but we still didn't get an answer.

Basically everything in the manga adaptation of Eternal Song needs to be told. It's a missing part of the story.

My rewatch of the series had me kinda disappointed with Friagne's series exit, especially after I saw the film and read what happens in the light novel.
I took it upon myself to re-edit an amalgamation of the series and film to make a new episode 6.

This only works with Japanese and english subtitles, because I had to alter a few subs to keep continuity tight.
Most of it involved Yuji's knowledge of the City Devouring; in the film he does (Lamies doesn't exist), whereas in the series, he does.

That's really the only change. My goal was to make this fit between episodes 5 and a 6 and not make Friagne come across a disappointing little weakling, but a genuine threat, as he was intended.

https://youtu.be/xlPUPN0eHLs

I really agree that shakugan no shana series is a very smart series. most of the speeches and dialogue of the characters in season 3 is vague, and you really need to start the series all over again or just look at wiki.

It is like reading a mystery/ detective series. you need to look in every details and cues each characters give.

at first I am too very confuse of what are they fighting for? then oh.. wait.. i get it (after watching 3 more episodes.) It is really confusing. well, until the end, it really does.

The story is very original, and I totally agree that the last fight between Shana, Margery vs Yuji, Sydonay is EPIC Fight! Even Margery using "million year" worth of spell to Sydonay is fantastic! General of tomogaras and one of the trinity really deserve to die in very fantastic way. Imagine that even that spell, Sydonay almost survive it, he can fight it! he just state that " Yeah (He was ask by Hecate if he died, which she note is rare), But I have a feeling I wanted to" because Hecate is sacrificed for creating the new world.
While Shana vs. Yuji is also epic fight, with items from Remmie. It is the best lover's quarrel in an anime that I ever watched.

I really wished I have someone to discuss WTH really happen in the end? still confuse in every episodes, until the very end. well, i will try to read other blog.

just sharing, the best anime. just need to do my homework and rewatch the whole series. 9/10, because i am still confuse
Apr 6, 2016 6:00 AM

Mar 2016
Chimamire_go said:
RealCW said:

It worked for me.

That's really the only change. My goal was to make this fit between episodes 5 and a 6 and not make Friagne come across a disappointing little weakling, but a genuine threat, as he was intended.

https://youtu.be/xlPUPN0eHLs

I really agree that shakugan no shana series is a very smart series. most of the speeches and dialogue of the characters in season 3 is vague, and you really need to start the series all over again or just look at wiki.

It is like reading a mystery/ detective series. you need to look in every details and cues each characters give.

at first I am too very confuse of what are they fighting for? then oh.. wait.. i get it (after watching 3 more episodes.) It is really confusing. well, until the end, it really does.

The story is very original, and I totally agree that the last fight between Shana, Margery vs Yuji, Sydonay is EPIC Fight! Even Margery using "million year" worth of spell to Sydonay is fantastic! General of tomogaras and one of the trinity really deserve to die in very fantastic way. Imagine that even that spell, Sydonay almost survive it, he can fight it! he just state that " Yeah (He was ask by Hecate if he died, which she note is rare), But I have a feeling I wanted to" because Hecate is sacrificed for creating the new world.
While Shana vs. Yuji is also epic fight, with items from Remmie. It is the best lover's quarrel in an anime that I ever watched.

I really wished I have someone to discuss WTH really happen in the end? still confuse in every episodes, until the very end. well, i will try to read other blog.

just sharing, the best anime. just need to do my homework and rewatch the whole series. 9/10, because i am still confuse

Most series I enjoy are the types that only make more sense the more you watch it.

Confused? Keep watching, it'll become clear.

III started out so weird, even for me, but sticking with it, halfway through I was like, "This is my favorite, easily", and that was present all throughout; I had faith that if I got confused, I'd understand it, and if I couldn't, I would read a wiki and then it would make sense and I'd only want to rewatch it.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Apr 7, 2016 10:44 PM

Nov 2015
After watching episode 24 i only what to do is move on in another anime, i wish there's an another season of this anime :/ Onegai J.C Staff
Akio--Apr 27, 2017 12:31 PM
May 10, 2016 5:57 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
A little disappointed at the same time happy, since all predictions have come true in the end, so the disappointment in the absence of dramatic surprises.

--
Un poco decepcionado a la vez que contento, ya que todas las predicciones se han hecho realidad al final, por eso la decepción, ante la falta de sorpresas dramáticas.
Pages (10) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana III (Final) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

game8910 - Nov 18, 2011

78 by Estefan »»
Jan 27, 4:56 AM

» Is it just me or does Shakugan No shana season 3 suck??

chrisedmonds - Nov 14, 2014

34 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Jan 22, 10:13 AM

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana III (Final) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KimChanx3 - Oct 28, 2011

184 by Jooshau »»
Apr 27, 2023 7:30 PM

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana III (Final) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

game8910 - Dec 16, 2011

158 by burntlettuce »»
Feb 27, 2023 8:42 AM

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana III (Final) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

game8910 - Nov 25, 2011

81 by GoldenPincers »»
Feb 9, 2023 1:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.