Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Initial D
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 25, 2012 12:41 PM

Aug 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Now that's better.
Gear up for the best arc of season! 4/5
May 10, 2012 11:05 AM

Jun 2008
Well best version of the engine his car was produced was an engine getting about 135-138hp but in the first season someone said that it must be 155hp or something so i thought it had lots of little details improved by his father to get those 20hp extra without a turbo.

Now this new engine is actually from the same family of engines but it was produced after the AE86 stop being made so yes it's not an engine for that car per ce but it is originated from that engine. It's an improved version(called silver-top for obvious reasons, there was also a black-top) of the 16V 135Hp engine that has VVT, 20V and gets about 165hp. The engine is still 1.6 though and it was used in the descendant of
AE86 the corolla A101(The AE86 is also a Corolla, the full name is Corolla Trueno AE86 or Corolla Levin AE86 depending on the headlights, Levin didn't have pop-up lights).

It seems strange that the guy thought that a turbo engine couldn't fight with it and making it so great or saying it's a rare racing engine since it was actually mass produced and 165hp isn't that of a big deal compare to the cars he was facing or the fact that it was said the previous engine was about 155hp and not the more natural 135hp. It is true that it probably was the most racing style engine it was ever made by Toyota but it was still a natural aspired 1.6L and 165hp was probably as good as it was getting for a mass produced engine, especially at those years. Ok it also had lighter components so that helps too since less weight is more hp per tone.

BUT the guy says that Takumi's engine has no VVT like it's supposed to. That explains the problems in low revs since the VVT system made sure that the engine will respond well on lower revs. Along with his "racing Engine" words and saying how it is only high rpm i can only assume that this engine is the racing version of the mass produced engine i mentioned above that was used in Group A(not the one in Formula Atlantic since that was still 16V) especially for her high rpm. Those engines didn't have any VVT and rev high for racing. It was improved by TRD and from what i heard unlike the road version of the engine this one could get up to 240-250hp. That's another 75-85hp improvement. Quite amazing for an engine still remaining at 1.6L.
The problem with such an engine like that is that since it's made for high revs it would be a problem driving everyday wouldn't it? You will have to rev it high before get going after you stop at every head-light and probably eat gasoline like Luffy eats meat.
MonadMay 10, 2012 11:08 AM
Aug 2, 2013 9:38 AM

Nov 2011
I'm not too familiar with engines but this was like a set up episode. I see the rivalry getting a bit more intense now and I bet both sides will give it their all.
Feb 25, 2014 7:51 PM

Feb 2013
Ha ha, that guy was hanging on for dear life as a passenger. He was like "oh sh!t a corner!"
Nov 17, 2014 7:30 AM

Jun 2012
The hype is reeeeeeaaaaaaal. 10000 rpm!!! I know nothing about cars but dayum that sounds powerful. The one thing Takumi is lacking is knowledge so if he can learn about cars then he'll be unstoppable.
Jan 6, 2015 7:33 PM

Aug 2014
Can this guy really rival Takumi? He was scared of how good Takumi's cornering was and apparently Takumi also has the more powerful car. In all the other races Takumi was the one with the weaker ride. Makes it look like he has no chance of defeating him.
Mar 29, 2015 10:43 PM

Mar 2012
You know it's really sad that the more I see of Takumi's Eight-six with the new engine, the more it feels like it did die when it's engine blew up and now this is a whole new car ;_;
May 17, 2016 1:20 PM

May 2012
Hoho what an engine! No wonder it felt slower for him! Pretty damn good episode though! Let's see what happens next and I'm really excited to see the race between those two!
Nov 2, 2016 9:10 PM
Nov 2009
I know nothing about cars but the talk about the new engine just made me O_O
Dec 4, 2016 4:23 PM
Feb 2015
the brother seems like a good guy. looking for to their battle
Jan 15, 2017 8:58 AM

Oct 2012
I like how Takumi left Itsuki alone with her.. Nice one Takumi!
I think I liked this girl already, she's lovely xD

Takumi is such a monster, if he's more knowledgeable about cars.. He might become more than monster
Rayl1ghtJan 15, 2017 9:04 AM
"Signature removed"
Aug 27, 2018 8:46 PM

Dec 2014
Hahaha, Bunta FTW! He's such a cunning Dad, I was wondering what he did but to think it was something so simple as not having switched out the tachometer. xD
Sep 4, 2018 3:46 PM

Sep 2011
This episode was good!

I can't believe Iketani though, why is he so insufferable like this? His first thought after getting to know the brother of the girl Itsuki is seeing, was that things won't work out between them because Itsuki is "inferior" to him or something. Seriously? I liked how his boss called his attention though, he has to do something about his complexes, or at least keep them to himself.

Wataru was being a jerk at first during that meeting too, especially with the way he brushed his sister off, so that slap was on point! It's also nice to see that she really cares about Itsuki, she's a good character! I also don't get why Bunta has to be like this too, letting Takumi grow on his own is all nice and good, but a little guidance would've prevented this little confrontation, and he got to know that the engine is pretty much "sealed" thanks to someone else, and not by himself anyways. But well, I laughed out loud when Wataru asked him if his dad worked in the race industry, and he was like: "no, he runs a tofu shop", that was gold. xD
Oct 20, 2018 5:56 PM

Feb 2012
Wataru sounds so dickish.

Takumi is a great wingman.

Once again, Bunta's "teach by exploration" works.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 18, 2019 3:36 AM
Apr 2016
Wataru's temper really is bad, provoking Takumi like that. Seems like the new engine is actually a really really really powerful one, once Takumi masters it, goddamn he will be straight up invincible.
Mar 27, 2020 6:48 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So his new engine is OP... I want to know more about Takumi's dad and how he got an engine like that
Jun 15, 2020 2:56 PM

Oct 2013
So now we know what is that secret hidden by Bunta that did not allow AE86's new engine to show its full power.

I hope Itsuki won't do something silly and by that ruin all his chances for a girlfriend this time. ;p
Aug 10, 2020 12:55 PM
Oct 2019
So is Takumi going to actually ask his dad about cars now? Because he really is an ignorant kid.

Cool to finally have the engine's power revealed though.
Nov 19, 2020 12:30 PM

May 2018
I see. Tak's dad being cheeky but genius again haha. Tak will definitely evolve as a driver now!
Jan 25, 2021 6:08 AM

Aug 2018
Lol Bunta made the Eight Six less effective on purpose

May 18, 2022 12:56 PM

Mar 2021
I really like this episode!

I'm so glad that the misunderstanding between Wataru and Takumi was resolved quickly, because as we all know Takumi really doesn't know much about engines. Glad that they met again and Wataru experienced Takumi's technique first-hand. He even helped him understand the new engine more.

The way Wataru revealed the facts about Takumi's new engine was really suspenseful, and I love everything that he explained about it. The tachometer issue, the missing gauges, the high-rpm engine... I love learning these new things about cars.

Nov 11, 2022 1:19 AM

Jun 2020
Forgot to mention last thread that Itsuki left Takumi and Iketani lonely drivers after they were the ones who had a girl first but they're friends so that don't count that much

The realization sound effect is just priceless when Takumi shrugged not knowing shit is just like me clueless as hell bro was sure pissed like he's downplaying him but the fact Takumi really doesn't know anything about engines

So next episode is going to unleash the full beast well I do hope so.
Jan 24, 2023 5:23 AM

Apr 2022
jeez first time seeing three 86s (one 85 lmao) together.

i like how her brother and takumi just had an argument yet they rode together, perfectly sums up 'boys will be boys'. interesting chemistry.

takumi's dad put in a professional racecar's engine tho whaaaa-
full potential, still untapped.
Sep 29, 2023 1:46 AM
Oct 2017
I can already imagine Buntas cover up when Takumi asks him about the whole thing! Xd

- Dad, why did you seal away the power of this engine?
- Come on Takumi, using all the power of the engine will just waste more fuel!
- Yes? If it uses more fuel, why using this engine?
- It's just an engine I found!
- Oh yeah, someone told me this is a professional engine, one someone wouldn't be able to afford normally, if you are worried about fuel why did you pick such an expensive one??
- Takumi, I just got it from a friend
- You said you used my savings!
- Yes, my friend gave it to me for fairly cheaper, and I thought I could use it for the 86 since the old engine is busted up, now go away, that tofu won't deliver itself!

Xd, this anime is epic
Nov 2, 2023 6:06 PM
Feb 2022
Kasumi's brother is too harsh when it comes to cars, but at least he pointed out the car's weaknesses to Takumi.

Spanish translation:
El hermano de Kasumi es demasiado severo cuando se trata de autos, pero al menos le señalo a Takumi las debilidades del auto.
Nov 18, 2023 5:08 PM

Mar 2015
this arc is way better than the last one
Dec 15, 2023 11:34 AM
Aug 2023
This one was much better, even educational.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Initial D Second Stage Episode 1 Discussion

loghneckbeard - Mar 18, 2010

45 by The_Void_State_ »»
Apr 7, 1:56 PM

Poll: » Initial D Second Stage Episode 3 Discussion

jacobpaige - May 3, 2010

35 by grenlin_ »»
Jan 30, 8:43 PM

Poll: » Initial D Second Stage Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Monad - May 10, 2012

57 by Ajrocket »»
Dec 15, 2023 1:48 PM

Poll: » Initial D Second Stage Episode 12 Discussion

Monad - May 10, 2012

27 by Ajrocket »»
Dec 15, 2023 1:03 PM

Poll: » Initial D Second Stage Episode 9 Discussion

Tiago97 - Feb 21, 2012

27 by Ajrocket »»
Dec 15, 2023 11:04 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.