Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 17, 2019 10:08 AM

Jul 2014
I don't remember when the last time i try to marathoning an anime and finish it in less than few days, this anime brings back that feeling to me it's like it keeps calling me back to keep watching and i already finished it without realizing it at all. Although the adaptation is a bit different with the manga nonetheless it's still a very solid and decent anime for me, it's one of anime that nail it when it comes to adapt different story from the original source since not many of them succeed when did it, also since one of my interests is anything related to space that's why any anime like this are like a warm pleasure and pure entertainment for myself..

I need more anime like this, even tho it's been 15 years there are only a few anime similiar like this one..

Obviously 10/10
Mar 29, 2019 2:46 PM
Oct 2018
I really ended up liking the show. Character development was great, and I enjoyed the ending a lot haha. Only downside imo was the slower pacing for some parts of a couple episodes but otherwise solid 8/10
Jun 10, 2019 1:14 PM
Mar 2016
willag said:
God, I am soooooo pissed! That was a horrible ending! The f*cker married her, impregnated her, and then left her (and his unborn child) behind! And now she gets to play the role of the "harbor" that waits for the "ship" to return home.

I'm obviously too much of a feminist to appreciate this. I mean, they were both happy in the end, so I should be happy for them right? No, no, I'm not. 'Cause once again it's a story about man's adventure, about men having dreams and being explorers and reaching new frontiers, and the women/wives they leave behind who are "okay" with it and play the role of whatever the man wants of them. Screw that crap. Hachi was willing to kill (would have succeeded in killing but failed due to luck) while Tanabe couldn't compromise her ideals in the end (showing she's the better person all around), Hachi comes to realizations and becomes the calmest man in the world, Hachi doesn't need to apologize, Hachi is easily forgiven, and Hachi still gets what he wants and Tanabe is relegated to the loyal wife. GRAGH!

God, I really want to drop the rating down, but it was so good up until the last few episodes. It's not worth the 9 it originally deserved though. Maybe an 8 if I'm feeling generous tomorrow.

Im on board with disliking the ending. He should have stayed with her since he loved her and realized that all of space is connected. Should her loyalty and love be rewarded with further distance between them? didn't feel right.

You didnt need to put the feminist tag in there, this anime did have political implications, and it was leftist. It was open borders for all inc. Really gotta keep that stuff to yourself, it ruins a story and the credibility of your opinion to those who don't identify as that.

8/10
Jun 13, 2019 5:36 PM

Feb 2012
It's amazing how it gives closure to all the supporting characters, from the daughter of the space-burial astronaut, to the El Tanikan engineers, to the ninjas etc.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Aug 3, 2019 5:24 AM

Mar 2017
You don't know how much I squealed when Hachi proposed, that scene was so cute.
I love this series so much aaAAaa great ending.

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Aug 20, 2019 2:34 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Okay, I needed an extra day to clear my thoughts on this series as a whole because it was quite the insane ride through and through to say the least. Disappointingly, I've come to the conclusion of awarding this just a 7.50/10 (Still an 8, but more of a considerate one than anything), thanks to the ample potential lost, its many faults and the horrendous final terrorist arc. At one point, it was really soaring to an 8.50-ish and so it really frustrates me how low that final arc in particular in my opinion. Another factor is of the Romance between the two main leads which I was really captivated by mid-way but I was a bit shocked seeing Hachi's selfishness somewhere around episode 22-23 or so. Tanabe was a real sweetheart though, after the first few episodes, and she clearly deserved better but well I know for a fact that travellers leaving their families behind was/is a very common occurrence. Got to say though, he's doing exactly the same thing as his father. I suppose they really are father-and-son, lol.

Some really solid closure for the side characters though, I've to say. I didn't think the manager had a wig on xD and it was nice to see ninjas again. Also, that proposal from Hachi was amazing, way to go lad! Questions over how Claire & Hakim survived and what the enemies are up to, but leaving those aside it was quite the finale! Hachi and Cheng-Shin meeting Claire was a really nice addition too.

Soundtracks, the Realistic Appeal of Space and the Animation are really the highlights of the show. Op/ED took some time to get used to but by the end of it I've to say both were pretty good. Love the visuals of the Op though, very informative and a nice touch indeed! Personal Enjoyment-wise, it was at its peak around Episode 17-19 but then stuttered and somewhat regained a bit of a plus through this final episode so a mixed bag here. Binged these 26 episodes in about a day too so definitely a ride, yeah.

Over all,
- Storyline/Plot Development: 6.5/10
- Characters/Characterization: 7.0/10
- Art/Animation Scale: 9.0/10
- Sound Department: 8.5/10
- Personal Enjoyment: 8.0/10
_MushiRock11_Nov 14, 2019 5:10 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 21, 2019 10:20 PM

Jan 2014
Waiting seven years??? bro that's a bit too much.

Anyways

Definitely a memorable and unique watch. Had some issues with unnecessary politics, and pacing, but overall it was a great anime

8/10
Dec 1, 2019 11:48 PM

Jan 2015
Fantastic series it had lots of similarities to Code Geass with the bigger picture and character depth I really enjoyed it.

This series is definitely a 10/10 must watch!
"Any betrayal you can see is trivial, what is truly frightening and much more lethal, is the betrayal you cannot see."

All Hail Lelouch!
Dec 13, 2019 5:50 AM
Sep 2019
Beautiful ending for a beautiful anime. I love it.
Mar 21, 2020 6:04 AM

Jun 2012
So disappointing. But thats mostly on me for having those expectations.
Apr 14, 2020 8:07 AM

Aug 2015
The marriage proposal in space, so romantic our Hachimaki hehe :D
Apr 29, 2020 12:00 PM
Apr 2020
Disappointed in the ending, it almost undid the whole point of the series for me. I thought Hachi was growing as a person and accepting the fact that he shouldn't go at it alone. So he marries Tanabe and leaves her for 7 years...and she's just supposed to wait for him?

It just seems like he undid his whole character arc because it basically showed that he has in fact learned nothing. He is literally just leaving Tanabe alone for 7 years while he goes and follows his dreams and she is stuck on earth with presumably his child. Add to the fact that she can't even go back up in space as well? I don't know I'm starting to ramble on, but this ending was very disappointing for me.

I'm just quite disappointed that a character driven story (IMO it is character driven) basically reverts its main characters back to their old selves from the first episode. Tanabe is the same old Tanabe, passive AF, waiting for Hachi now because 'its for love' etc. etc. Hachi is the same selfish idiot from episode 1, oh hey Tanabe lets get married. Ok see you in 7 years! As long as I facetime with you you're not alone! But I digress...

Also the terrorist subplot got so stale after like the 6th episode in a row with it as a primary focus. This anime could have been a few episodes shorter and cut out a lot of that junk.

TL;DR - Ending pretty much ruins Hachi's entire character arc, he just reverts to his old self from episode 1....same for Tanabe. Overall the show was good and kept me entertained, I am just very disenchanted with this ending.
May 29, 2020 5:52 PM
May 2020
8/10

I think the series dropped off a bit with the last few episodes to warrant me giving it a 9, but overall it was great. I still dont really think Hachi deserved Tanabe in the end as he still goes off to Jupiter while leaving her alone with a kid on the way.
Jun 24, 2020 8:13 AM

Jun 2014
If only the first half of the series had been as good as the second one... Man, there was too much filler.
Rely on nothing under heaven
Jul 3, 2020 5:05 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Absolutely great end, the mariage proposal + Tanabe pregnant was really heartwarming.
The whole anime was great overall, especially thanks to the last episodes.
9/10
Jul 26, 2020 3:46 PM
Jul 2013
Failed to deliver with this ending.
I think this whole marriage is remotely possible cause MCs are Japanese.
Aug 1, 2020 2:25 PM
Apr 2018
I may be alone in this, but I felt that Hachimaki was an ***hole from roughly episode 20 or so and the ending sort of undid his realization what the space actually is in episode 25. I don't hate him, in fact I found him endearing (which is partly why his development left a somewhat bad taste in my mouth) yet his actions raise so many questions. I guess that's the price of space exploration and sacrifices one has to make, eh?

Probably another controversial opinion but I didn't mind the terrorist subplot. It could've been handled a bit better, yes, but overall I found it convincing and realistic. I can easily imagine something similar happening in the near future as we already live in a world where the poor suffer and millions die in inhumane conditions; further space advancements could make lives of many people more miserable than ever and class divisions would become even wider.

Overall, I give the whole series a solid 8/10.
Oct 31, 2020 2:54 PM

Jul 2015
Oh my, I'm glad it was the last episode. That was a very impressive demonstration of how to turn gold into lead.
Dec 11, 2020 12:56 PM

Jul 2017
A good ending to the rewatch, but man the whole experience as a whole feels completely different from how I felt when I first saw it. I loved the show initially and gave it a 9, but with this rewatch, I felt like there were some episodes that weren't good, some situations that could have used a lot better writing, and some characters weren't as great as I remembered them to be. I was never bored but there were definitely a lot more flaws than before. Overall, while the ending was strong and I'm happy that Hachimaki and Tanabe married and Tanabe's having a kid while Hachimaki's going to Jupiter with his dad, the journey was a bit bumpy quality wise, especially during the terrorist portion and the mental breakdown storyline with Hachimaki. Still, there was more than enough good stuff about it that makes me still think more positively about this anime rather than negatively for sure.

Before a 9, but now I'd give it a 6/10 overall.
Jan 29, 2021 10:01 PM

Dec 2015
Haven't felt this moved by an anime for a long time. Sure, there are flaws here and there, but the show more than makes up for it as a whole package, something none of the flashy hype-driven show today could reproduce. For that, 10/10 from me, and it's going on my all time favorite list.

I used to laugh at the idea of "the golden age of anime", but perhaps it is real after all, back when stories were told for the sake of the story, rather than its audience. Now as everything turns in to marketing campaigns to generate as much hype as possible to fuel the ever growing entertainment industry, shows like this become few and far between.

A weird rant from an idiot trying to justify his outdated taste, but I think I'm going to seek out more old anime from now on, not that anyone would care.
Feb 14, 2021 9:29 AM

Aug 2007
They haven't even reached Jupiter yet but there's Mr. Locksmith holding a brochure/mag with Saturn cover in it.

That proposal is the best I've ever seen. I repeated it for like 5 times, lol.

Can you all imagine how Hachi's mother is feeling though? She has every right to be proud, but imagine - her spouse and eldest are on their way to Jupiter, the younger one on his way to becoming a space engineer, and her daughter-in-law have plans to go out there as a debris collector.

From here on are just some ramblings about how I thought of the series overall:

First of all, the ambience of this anime just fits my personal preference. What I mean by ambience is the space genre that tells the stories of people inside the ship and not just about space wars, just like Mugen no Ryvius. I dig stories that deals with how imperfect us humans can be, and how we are driven by emotions no matter what. Second, I like that each episode tackles about different real-life issues while making it not too bland, and the dramas were also played just right. As for the characters, Tanabe was annoying at first, but I learned to like her throughout the series. Hachimaki's inner monologue, realizations and whatnot was also interesting. I also appreciate the character development of the rest, and some remarkable ones are Edel, Nono, Hachi's brother and Sensei. Lastly, it deserves to be on my favorites list. :-) (However, I will only give it a 9 because their SFX, background music and ending theme are inappropriate / not matching at times.)

-----

EDIT: I just found out that the director of this series also worked with Mugen no Ryvius, and that the scriptwriter also did Code Geass which is also on my favorites. That is very interesting.
MonotonousFeb 14, 2021 9:40 AM
もろともに
哀れと思へ
山桜

花より外に
知る人もなし.

On a mountain slope,
Solitary, uncompanioned,
Stands a cherry tree.

Except for you, lonely friend,
To others I am unknown.

Feb 16, 2021 10:48 AM
Jan 2021
Such a nice ending they married and tanabe is pregnant but from 26 episode the thing that i really hate is HACHI attitude the others is fine i almost dropped this anime at the early episode because all i can hear is Hachi shouting lol
But luckily i can hold it and it get better every episode
8/10 nc Bgm for a 2003 anime this is pretty good
Apr 27, 2021 4:08 PM

Apr 2021
oh well, i kinda wished hachi stayed on earth with tanabe, but i guess he can't go too long without going to space

overall, i enjoyed the story, it definitely got interesting in the last 4 or so episodes
i wish i was a cloud
Aug 2, 2021 8:02 AM

Sep 2017
Pretty disappointed in this ending. Specifically with Tanabe's character. Everything else was fine but what a waste... Was all that great development at the end of 24 for nothing? Apparently ffs. Sure they made up at the end of 25 and that's fine. Hachi realized he was wrong with a lot of things, but what is done is done. Tanabe crying can be her coming to terms with the remainder of her feelings and the fact that this is all over now. Instead of her having any sort of drive and motivation of her own, she is content with just marrying Hachi and probably being a stay at home mom living at the inlaws house. Such a disappointment. The manga is from the early 2000's but still. Well whatever the series was still good in a lot of other ways and had other good characters.
Nov 11, 2021 12:00 AM
Oct 2019
It was great, I do not consider it perfect because some elements like the terrorist plot kinda dropped the rating for me but overall still a good show.
Dec 19, 2021 3:36 PM

Nov 2016
Great final episode. The kind of epilogue I love to see after the climax. It seemed like nothing was left out.

Claire having already plans for her future to be part of a positive change in El-tanica. Nice.

Next we got Hakim reappearing startled me a bit, but Nono took the wind out of his sails. From up in space where you can see no borders we're all the same. I immediately had to think of the Poitier moment at the end of episode 11. On a different note, Nono despite having accepted her fate could be also seen as a victim of the system. Surprisigly profound encounter.

Then the credits with all characters we met throughout the course of the series. Locksmith already planning the Saturn project. Then what I consider to be a low-key easter egg. I mean the scene with the pro tennis girl who failed the test starring in a movie of that shitty director. Gave me a good, lol. Same goes for chief "losing" his toupee. RIP ninja boyo on the other hand. There was much more. The imperfection of the ending or perhaps lack of clear closure for all these different people goes hand in hand with the themes of the series imo. Life works in mysterious ways. It was the cherry on top along Hachi x Tanabe sailing. (My only gripe is that we didn't get to see the reunion 7 years later, but that would admittedly take a bit of the magic)

Emotional overload with the OST

Planetes made it into my all time favs by delivering a full package where the characters shined. From episodic fun that slowly transitioned to an overarching plot, they were always the center of attention.

9/10
FMmatronDec 19, 2021 4:25 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 5, 2022 9:17 AM
Nov 2020
This was a really good series. I couldn't come over the fact that this anime eventually ended, i was bummed to know that it had only one season even though it was 26 episodes long
Mar 3, 2022 5:57 PM

Mar 2020
It's a shame that this didn't end with the Von Braun trip, though in all fairness I had come to the realisation a couple of episodes ago that there wouldn't be enough room left to portray it in a satisfying way.

Anyways, pretty alright adaptation all things considered. I appreciate the attempt this made at deviating from the manga, even if it muddied the focus and pacing of the source material at a few points (the space ninja arc goes without mention lol). The additions of Claire and Hakim to the cast were the obvious standouts, though I was also quite fond of the stuff they added during the training arc for the Von Braun. The additional Nono love was also much appreciated.

Much like the manga, the romantic slant between Hachimaki and Tanabe fell through for me again. By the time they're getting together the two of them are too different for there to be any level of common ground aside from their similar levels of conviction. As Hachimaki's development is centred around coming to understand Tanabe's perspective and thereby coming to love her as a person, I don't understand why they couldn't just put that element on hold until the time was right. Kind of an asshole move for Hachimaki to get Tanabe hitched and pregnant before going off to space for 7 years though lol
Jun 8, 2022 7:37 AM

Dec 2007
OK ending.
didn't blew my mind or anything, basically continuing previous episode with ending vibes.
i'm glad they showed what happened with tanabe and claire, i wanted to see it happen rather than tanabe telling it.

the problem of the anime starting with ep21 and after with the terrorist attacks.
i think they should had concentrate on hachi going to jupiter, and then make some realistic things to happen. lol
that whole part just blew up the whole sci-fi/drama genre this anime had, it was very good and enjoyable, but that last arc kinda ruined it.

to be honest it took me a while to end this anime. some filler like space ninja kind killed my intuition to keep watching the anime, so i had many breaks 'till i completely watched it.
it had good moments, but if they would use the story potential to the fullest, the ending would be much better.

8/10
Aug 12, 2022 11:10 PM

Sep 2020
Great anime!!! Ending could have been better but overall I really enjoyed this series it's an easy 9/10 series imo. I really like Tanabe 😻 She is now on of my new all time favourite character.
Oct 25, 2022 11:01 PM
Feb 2022
i almost dropped this after the first episode. it was so dry and boring and the art style, at least for the characters, borders on awful. maybe it’s because it is old or because they purposely tried to make every single character look ugly but i just couldn’t get past it. it bothered me the entire way through the entire show. it was too much of a contrast of style with the pretty backgrounds.

i also hated the music in this series. very rarely anything fit and/or sounded good.

finally, the last two episodes really dragged on far too long. didnt need 15 minute segments of flashbacks. even the run across the moon lasted almost an entire episode. i get some wind down after the big climatic battle, and it was nice to have a happy ending after investing in the characters for so long but sheesh they really slowed it down. this series should have been 24 episodes like a proper show and the pacing would have been just right.

that was a lot of griping, and i did really hate it at first, but it grew on me a lot. i enjoyed coming back to the crew each episode to find out how they were doing and what was going on after i got a better sense of who they were and why they were there.

i enjoyed the overall plot as well as the little side quests. some of the humor landed well. there was a lot more i enjoyed than dismissed, but to me it still fell way short of a masterpiece. like WAY short. i gave it a generous 7
Jan 4, 2023 11:20 PM

Apr 2021
I liked this show a lot until Hachimaki resigned and the whole Von Braun stuff started. Until then, it was kind of a slice of life in space with believable physics, original context, nice pace and regularly a got dose of human insight. I really enjoyed that part a lot and it felt like this anime could become one of my all time favorites. But the last 7 or 8 episodes showed Hachimaki to become a total egoistic jerk and the show to turn back against everything it was until now and not in a good way. The last episode in particular left me with a bitter after-test, Hachimaki leaving for 7 years while Tanabe is pregnant with his child, as if any kind of wife could be happy to see her husband leave for that long and miss the first 7 years of their child's growth. And his father leaving his wife again and everybody is supposedly happy ever-after. The poor are still poor, the rich are going to get richer and even though it's probably realistic, all the social messages that were passed during the show seem to go to waste as everybody is smiling and happy about it. It's not a bad show and obviously, your mileage may vary, but to me, I can only advise to watch the first two-thirds episodes, and skip the 8 last ones all-together. The end is a complete shipwreck.
Jan 5, 2023 7:49 PM

Jul 2014
I knew it was a wig!! Anyways - it was a great finale to a fantastic show, I truly enjoyed the ride.

See ya Space Cowboy.
Mar 7, 2023 6:23 AM

Dec 2017
ending was great but i was expecting more. anyway, what a blast it was!!! 

May 3, 2023 8:57 PM

Nov 2021
what a great anime... the characters, story & OSTs were really amazing!
Jul 15, 2023 5:38 PM

Nov 2020
rvdboom said:
I liked this show a lot until Hachimaki resigned and the whole Von Braun stuff started. Until then, it was kind of a slice of life in space with believable physics, original context, nice pace and regularly a got dose of human insight. I really enjoyed that part a lot and it felt like this anime could become one of my all time favorites. But the last 7 or 8 episodes showed Hachimaki to become a total egoistic jerk and the show to turn back against everything it was until now and not in a good way. The last episode in particular left me with a bitter after-test, Hachimaki leaving for 7 years while Tanabe is pregnant with his child, as if any kind of wife could be happy to see her husband leave for that long and miss the first 7 years of their child's growth. And his father leaving his wife again and everybody is supposedly happy ever-after. The poor are still poor, the rich are going to get richer and even though it's probably realistic, all the social messages that were passed during the show seem to go to waste as everybody is smiling and happy about it. It's not a bad show and obviously, your mileage may vary, but to me, I can only advise to watch the first two-thirds episodes, and skip the 8 last ones all-together. The end is a complete shipwreck.

I mostly agree with you but I wouldn’t go as far as to say it was a shipwreck. I wouldn’t mind so much if Hoshino felt obliged to go on the journey despite the costs since the ship had already been built. But space BROKE this guy, damaged a bunch of his personal relationships, and drove him to near suicide. I was a lot more satisfied with Ai’s personal arc outside of Hoshino. I respect that they were willing to not break her character or torture her excessively. There’s a thin line and they managed to just barely avoid moving past it.
Aug 30, 2023 11:39 PM

Mar 2007
Now that's how you do a proposal in space. I thought it was romantic. Hachi leaving Tanabe to go to space is very much who he is, and she already knows he loves space just as much as he loves her, plus she accepts it. He better be the best husband and father when he returns or else!! 

I didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did, that was an amazing amount of closure in the lovely ED. The only one I didn't quite love was the gold digger getting Chairman's "spare" son.
Sep 10, 2023 7:03 PM
Aug 2023
It seems a lot of people are invested in the Tanabe x Hoshino ship, but it didn't work for me. They had really poor romantic chemistry, and their co-worker chemistry wasn't great, abrasive at times but I guess acceptable. They were both annoying characters, but by far Tanabe was the worse. I hated her since ep 3, and she never really got that much better since. Just go back and look at the comment section of ep 3 to see how many people dropped this anime directly because of her. She's dangerously incompetent, annoyingly idealistic, and perhaps narcissistic in a way. I've noticed she keeps budding into other's conversations, and tries to take an active part when she shouldn't even be involved. Like when Edel confronted Sasha who was hiding in Tanabe and Hoshino's hotel room, and when higher ups came to speak to Hoshino about his dad. She literally can't stay quiet and just observe, she got to get in there like she's the center of the universe.

People seem to have a lot of hate for Hoshino in the latter part of the show, but Hoshino wasn't actually doing anything that wrong. He was going through a lot of problems, and sure he didn't treat Tanabe that well by ignoring her and venting on her, but it was kind of understandable given what he was going through. People expected better since they were sort of dating, but their romantic relationship was paper thin, on very shaky ground, and relatively short so far, on top of already having a rather abrasive work relationship. They were actually rather ill matched, I'm not really sure what they saw in each other. I can only guess some sort of co-worker Stockholm Syndrome cause by a lack of other potential partners.

So with such a poor romantic relationship, both Tanabe and Hoshino decided to get married just before Hoshino leaves on a 7 year trip, and with Tanabe being pregnant! Lots of people pointed out how bad that situation was, but they unfairly pin all the blame on Hoshino. Tanabe is equally responsible, she consented to marriage, getting pregnant, and is okay with Hoshino leaving for his 7 year trip, with full knowledge and foresight of it every step of the way. And don't forget her idealism on love, she's going to be surrounded by love in Hoshino's home with his mom, brother, future baby, and the local people on Earth. Yet, "poor Tanabe, bastard Hoshino"!?! No sorry, Tanabe is at least half responsible for the situation, if not more since she has it so much better off than what Hoshino is going to be facing. You know Tanabe is idealistically thinking "Love will sustain me for the next 7 years, you better go do it Hoshino!" whether if it's realisticly going to be fine or not.

How the show handled Tanabe's idealism throughout was atrocious, there was never any consequences to it. They set it up perfectly that she had to choose to suffocate for her ideals, or sacrifice her ideals by taking Claire's oxygen to survive thus killing Claire. It was a massive cop out to just have both of them rescued like that. Claire got off way too easy with 10 years in jail, just count how many innocent people and security personnel were mercilessly killed, not to mention property damage. Claire can't even use social politics as an excuse, she held a high position but got demoted NOT because of her ethnicity BUT rather she kept making too many mistakes, she openly admits this. She's got no excuse and nobody to blame but herself. This is the whole reason why she wants to die, and at the very least give up her oxygen to save Tanabe, Claire is taking responsibility for her actions. The problem with Tanabe is she is not forced to take responsibility for her ideals, she's been getting away with that for the whole show, and it's just so infuriating and awful.

There's only one other character in an anime which I can think of who is annoyingly idealistic (but not even half as annoying as Tanabe), Bell Cranel in Danmachi. The difference though is he's done and used very well. Bell Crenel starts off being annoyingly idealistic, but eventually faces many situation where his idealism is tested by reality, and he has to choose to either uphold his ideals despite the harsh consequences, or sacrifice his ideals. He doesn't get some stupid deus ex machina space bus bailing him out of it either. The thing is Bell Crenel's dilemmas builds his character immensely; I went from hating him, to pitying him, to respecting him because he took the consequences for his ideals. I can't respect Tanabe at all, she rarely ever faces the consequences, and not even when it counts. Even Hoshino was way better than her, he faced consequences for his actions all the time. We saw what he had to go through and the consequences he faced for being a candidate for the Jupiter mission, but a lot of commenters seemed to hated him for it. Although, Hoshino's scenes on this could have been done better.

Anyways, I found this anime overrated. The two main characters weren't very good, the romance was superficial and poor, and space stuff seemed to take a backseat to the bad drama and comedy. I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, I've listed my reasons in detail above, I doubt anybody can defend the space ninjas. I can even recommend a much better space anime with way better characters, and romance: "Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut" / "Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu".
Nov 12, 2023 11:40 AM
Mar 2013
I watched this anime again after many years and I liked it a lot but with contradictory sensations.

Until episode 16 the show is a masterpiece. Episode 11 is the peak and contains my favorite scene: The El-Tanica engineer writes and pronounces Claire's name along with the names of the companions who helped him build the robot... then he sees the Earth, while his workplace is attacked and his colleagues die.
It had me on the verge of tears.

From there, Planetes descends.
Hachimaki already had an unbearable attitude at times, but starting with his "romance" with Tanabe it becomes even worse.
The Von Braun tests and the terrorist plot could have been exciting but it's all boring.

It even made me appreciate the ninjas episode even more; a social satire of unemployment and rot on the Moon, disguised as a silly comedy.

It could have been a 10/10, but my final grade would be an 8.5/10.

ChillidaNov 14, 2023 1:09 AM
Mar 27, 9:50 AM

Dec 2022
Not impressed. Was there any point in marrying Tanabe if he was just going to head right back off to space for seven years immediately after? Or was that a testament to how devoid of romantic chemistry their relationship is? And Claire was very fortunate to only get ten years in prison for kidnapping, boarding a ship, killing scores of people, attempting to commit mass murder by crashing said ship into a lunar city (which would kill hundred of thousands of people), all while under the banner of a terrorist group; I'm astounded that this is seen as a comparatively harsh sentence in-universe.

For the most part, whatever messaging this anime was trying to relay to the viewer was consistently hampered by cheap conveniences to bail certain characters out of events that would otherwise carry some signficance. If anyone did happen to learn anything from their experiences in space, then it was promptly forgotten about a few minutes later, so as to facilitate more sitcom drama. Many moments of conflict are milked for all they're worth with dramatic flashbacks and brooding rumination, and then resolved offscreen with a timeskip that mends all the fractured relationships, inherently contentious personalities, and geopolitical tensions.

It's also worth mentioning that the narrative surrounding the percieved injustice of global inequality was so lopsided and preachy in delivery that I could barely take it seriously, especially when "love" as a concept was established as apparently having any application outside of Tanabe's platitudes for the sake of propping up Claire's backwards viewpoints. Anyone can pick apart "love" when you broaden its definition to the point of making it nebulous, but how this anime defines it has little to nothing to do with what love really means. A deep psychological longing for another individual shouldn't be conflated for a sweeping pacifistic approach to life — they're completely unrelated concepts.

It does get props for the excellent visuals and occasional compelling episodes, but the latter were few and far between. The mystique of space is something that should've been explored more extensively.
Archean-ReturnApr 11, 5:17 PM

Shaded Horizon

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

56 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 8:34 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 22 Discussion

seita - Aug 28, 2008

46 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 5:55 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

55 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 26, 8:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.