Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 27, 2008 2:05 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I sure didn't expect them to end up dead in dubious circumstances.
Sep 4, 2008 6:24 PM
Dec 2007
blackfeather_58 said:
I sure didn't expect them to end up dead in dubious circumstances.
The way they covered it up and the events in episode 9 make me think Elsa did go berserk and decided to end her life along with Lauro's. Henrietta said it best when she said she was glad cause she wouldn't be lonely. And I see there's an explanation now as to why their first reaction to being shot is raising their arm and covering their eyes.

Jun 1, 2009 6:02 PM
Mar 2009
screw section 1. they suck.
Jun 12, 2009 4:23 PM
Jul 2008
I think after this episode I don't feel as stationary with this Anime as I did before where there had been alot with Long Term Affecting Pasts of the girls, something is happening now and looks like they don't want Jose to know about it!
Jun 28, 2009 5:32 AM

Aug 2008
It certainly looks like Elsa shot Lauro then herself. Quite sad really, I was starting to feel sorry for her.
Jan 8, 2010 8:49 PM

Mar 2009
It feels as though something is happening to the girls and their handlers...Jose is the only decent one of the bunch. His relationship with Henrietta is more than just a working relationship, which is probably why they are successful in what they do. Hope that doesn't change in the future (although I'm almost sure that it will and that would make me sad).
Didn't like it at all when Jean interrupted Rico when she was speaking, and even worse, her acting as if nothing had happened. Unfortunately, Rico is conditioned very well, not unlike a battered spouse. But even a cyborg deserves better.
IszumiJan 8, 2010 9:01 PM
Jan 21, 2010 11:10 AM

Aug 2009
whoa, Elsa died already :(

Mar 1, 2010 7:26 PM

Dec 2009
Quite a shame but I was given the impression that she wanted nothing to do with nobody but her supervisor who didn't so much care about her.
Such junk...
Apr 17, 2010 5:45 AM

Jun 2009
Great episode. I wonder to if Elsa killed her handler, and I wonder how this will effect future events. Call me crazy but I almost want section 2 to be shut down.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 31, 2010 9:36 AM

Jun 2009
Quite sad about Elsa, life really is pretty sad for them.
Sep 20, 2011 3:32 PM

Aug 2011
I can't believe Elsa did that. Also she was in so few I was sad to see her in this few I liked her.
Jan 11, 2012 7:03 AM

Oct 2011
Feb 13, 2012 9:43 PM

Sep 2011
Man they sure got rid of them quick. At first I thought Elsa killed Lauro but throughout the episode I started thinking differently... -o- Hopefully the next episode explains a few things.
Mar 25, 2012 6:31 PM

Nov 2011
The only two possibilities that I see are that either:
1)Elsa killed her handler , then proceeded to kill herself.
2)Another cybrog killed Elsa and her handler(which is extremely unlikely).

It will only be a problem if one of the two are true. But if you think about it, Elsa killing her handler is much more likely. I do not see any of the cyborgs acting on their own and doing something like that so option 2 is not going to be very likely. What most likely happened is that they had a argument there and Elsa killed her handler and killed herself. The two bullets are key. You may be thinking, someone from section one may have done it, but killing a cyborg isn't easy, it would probably take more than two bullets, plus section two would not have found out about it as easily.
DarkShardsMar 25, 2012 6:53 PM

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
May 1, 2012 3:13 PM

Feb 2010
Iszumi said:
Didn't like it at all when Jean interrupted Rico when she was speaking, and even worse, her acting as if nothing had happened. Unfortunately, Rico is conditioned very well, not unlike a battered spouse. But even a cyborg deserves better.

When Rico said "If Jean says it, it must be right." or whatever... that almost killed me...
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Nov 5, 2012 6:11 AM

Oct 2012
I think Elsa killed him then suicided..Or why else would they be that tempted to burry the report?
-------Only God will judge me --------

iSignature
Jan 31, 2013 4:54 PM

Jan 2012
just when i begin to think jean is a half decent guy, he turns into a complete douche by not only interrupting Rico when she was talking but to basically say, 'yeah there programmed to protect me and do their job so she'll die if she has to' and then for Rico to just agree was so sad...

yeah elsa surely must have shot her handler then herself its the only logical way in my mind.... was quite shocked at the beginning when jean just blurted it out, although i did say in the previous episode she was about to snap D:
Jan 17, 2014 4:25 PM

May 2012
The story is getting quite interesting while still having the horrible pacing it does catch my interesting somewhat!
Mar 23, 2014 12:03 AM

Apr 2012
Was that a murder suicide?

May 14, 2014 7:31 PM

Jan 2014
Definitely a murder and suicide.

Important hints were given throughout this episode.

Firstly, 2 shots were fired from Elsa's gun. Initially they thought to look around for blood stains or bodies of suspected terrorists, but when the ballistic report regarding the bullets found in Elsa and her handler came back, they talked about hiding the facts from Section 1.

And you guys know that both Elsa and her handler were killed by one shot each, right?

So it's obvious both bullets came from Elsa's handgun.

IF it were a murder, then where are the bodies belonging to the murderers? Where's the spilled blood at least? 2 shots were fired from Elsa's gun after all. Hard to imagine a cyborg not hitting anything.

They also sent Jose and Henrietta away for a holiday, while talking about how innocent Jose should not know the truth. IF it were really a murder, then why tell him it's a murder and then send him away on the holiday?

The truth is darker than that. Elsa killed her handler then herself. The rejection in Episode 9 must have been the last straw that broke her.
May 14, 2014 7:34 PM

Jan 2014
randompadley said:
just when i begin to think jean is a half decent guy, he turns into a complete douche by not only interrupting Rico when she was talking but to basically say, 'yeah there programmed to protect me and do their job so she'll die if she has to' and then for Rico to just agree was so sad...

I got the feeling that Jean only interrupted Rico because he did not want more intel flowing back to Section 1. The whole cyborg-willing-to-die-for-their-handler must have been their party line and to change their party line at this point could be dangerous.
Jul 15, 2014 10:04 PM

Jun 2014
Teckmeister said:
Definitely a murder and suicide.

Important hints were given throughout this episode.

Firstly, 2 shots were fired from Elsa's gun. Initially they thought to look around for blood stains or bodies of suspected terrorists, but when the ballistic report regarding the bullets found in Elsa and her handler came back, they talked about hiding the facts from Section 1.

And you guys know that both Elsa and her handler were killed by one shot each, right?

So it's obvious both bullets came from Elsa's handgun.

IF it were a murder, then where are the bodies belonging to the murderers? Where's the spilled blood at least? 2 shots were fired from Elsa's gun after all. Hard to imagine a cyborg not hitting anything.

They also sent Jose and Henrietta away for a holiday, while talking about how innocent Jose should not know the truth. IF it were really a murder, then why tell him it's a murder and then send him away on the holiday?

The truth is darker than that. Elsa killed her handler then herself. The rejection in Episode 9 must have been the last straw that broke her.
Yea. I thought of the same thing exactly.
Oct 21, 2014 1:33 AM
Jun 2013
yea its clear as day it was murder suicide. Only two shots were fired one for her handler and one for herself. This is what happens when you leave emotions in cyborgs. Though the good thing is since the relation of the now two dead character resemble jean and rico they might end the same way. Jean so far is the only crappy handler not counting the now dead handler. So maybe he will die and I will be happy. Rico im indifferent I have not real hatred but wont care if she dies since every since killing that boy it feels like she would do anything as long as she can wake up and move.
Oct 21, 2014 6:20 AM

Aug 2013
Oh so that's why the girls were always protecting their eyes when someone shoots at them. Well actually I thought they were protecting their heads. They don't even bother dodging, they just raise their arms. Now it makes sense.

I think it's a murder-suicide too. Elsa was shot right in the eye. Who else would know about the eye weakness except those involved in the cybernetics project? The murder weapon was a handgun and I doubt cyborgs are easy to take down at close to mid range.

If this was just a murder or even if it's an ordered hit from within section 2 (which I doubt), they won't bother sending Giuse and Henrietta away.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 27, 2014 10:45 AM
Nov 2008
I was expecting another independent sub-story, but fortunately now we have some plot!

Did anyone noticed that Jose called Jean "nii-san" (=elder brother) when Jean approached Jose? Did I miss this somewhere?
Come to think of it, there's nothing much known about Jose's background.
Dec 31, 2014 10:24 AM

Jul 2009
I guess Elsa killed Lauro and then killed herself, since there was just 2 bullets and it didn't seem like they fought or anything...sad, also Triela is awesome!
Oct 17, 2016 11:14 PM

Sep 2013
This whole series is set up to make us sympathize with Section 2. Section 1 comes in, talking about wanting to shut down Section 2 and we're supposed to view Section 1 as the bad guys for wanting to do this.

But Section 2 is scum! Think about an agency like this existing in real life. They find little girls on the brink of death and spirit them away and enslave them using cybernetic implants and brainwashing. Then they train them to kill and to feel no remorse for doing so. They know that the conditioning shortens the poor kids' lifespans, but the condition them as often as needed anyway.

I just try to imagine this happening to someone close to me and it makes me sick. No one in Section 2 is a good guy. If they were, they wouldn't work there in the first place. I don't know what Section 1's motives are for wanting to shut down Section 2, but I'm officially rooting for Section 1...!!!!!!!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jul 7, 2017 7:45 AM

Jun 2013
I was thinking an inside job, but a murder suicide would make the most sense, indeed. Can you imagine someone just walking up to the duo and getting away raising a gun at them? Even if the culprit were another cyborg, Elsa would probably have been able to get in at least a few shots before dying.

When even the relatively most well-established cyborg doesn't know just how deep her programming goes, you know it runs deep. I like Triela's spirit, but she might get in trouble for contacting the detective.

Talon184 said:
Section 1 comes in, talking about wanting to shut down Section 2 and we're supposed to view Section 1 as the bad guys for wanting to do this.

I never got this impression. The chief of Section 1 may have selfish reasons for grabbing this chance to dismantle Section 2, but the detectives are earnestly trying to find out the truth, and they are certainly concerned about the cyborgs' well being. Section 1 is quite obviously painted with a much lighter shade of grey.

I'm not defending Section 2, but if they were to be outed, what do you think would happen to the cyborgs? It's uncertain that they would be allowed to exist. Is it worth sacrificing them so that no other kids would be put through the same horrors? You tell me.
Sep 21, 2017 6:37 PM

Jul 2016
another great episode, i didn't expect to feel like this but i *may* feel sad that there's only a few more episodes in this season. there's that second season though, i believe.
ffs. i don't know if i'm a bad person or if i love jean and rico so much that i'll dismiss the obvious horrible treatment that jean gives. grrr, this makes me want to punch myself. that coin move was so good that i had to replay it, the animation was superb and smooth. henrietta and giuse/jose (i like the name jiuse more but eh) are becoming a little too, err.. i don't know. that romantic music playing when they got to sicily island was questionable. i'll take it as a sign that it just means they're very close to each other. i've been cringing whenever they show up.
Jan 29, 2018 6:53 AM

Jul 2011
Yup, I think Elsa killed Lauro first, one shot to head (episode 9 end very likely trigger to this), and then Elsa shot herself to eye... just notice how bodies are on the ground.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Aug 26, 2018 8:38 AM
Jun 2017
Ooo... looks like a cyborg rebellion.
Nov 17, 2018 10:06 AM

Jan 2013
I have a strong feeling judging by their reactions to the report that Elsa shot both Lauro and herself in the head.
Dec 27, 2018 5:04 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Elsa must have been listening to old Rolling Stones when she shot him and then herself:
Jun 22, 2019 5:43 AM

Dec 2013
If we're going to connect this to the previous episode, it seems that Elsa really snapped and this incident happened and they want Giuse/Jose to kept in the dark while all of this is happening.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Aug 18, 2019 1:22 AM

Oct 2012
RIP
Why do I feel that Elsa killed Lauro and herself
At least it's implied so

That photo taken by Henrietta
I think it'll be a proof to take down them
"Signature removed"
Jul 26, 2022 4:20 PM

Jan 2020
Were Lauro and Elsa really murdered or was it a murder-suicide?

Yeah, the episode all but outright confirmed it. Well, as rough as the girls have it, I'm surprised someone hasn't snapped already. I guess the other handlers do make an effort to at least try and keep their girls happy though.

I'm not sure how I feel about Section 1. I guess the girls could, potentially, live out normal lives if they weren't forced to continue to be assassins? But, at this point, with their amount of conditioning, would they even want to?

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Nov 16, 2022 11:35 AM

Jul 2015
I did not expect Elsa to die, but it sounds logical, after last episode events, that she would murder Lauro who never showed any affection and afterwards commit suicide.

Dec 2, 2022 5:16 PM
Mar 2019
Elsa & Lauro are found Murdered in a Park, an investigation is launched.
The other Girls are slightly indifferent due to Elsa's decision not to be friendly with any of them.
Dec 21, 2022 4:20 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Man, Elsa quickly became arguably the most interesting character in a single episode, and then she is killed off at the start of the next one. Would've like at least one more episode with her, you know, alive.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Aug 2, 2023 7:48 AM

Aug 2019
Great episode imo but man I felt so anxious for Henrietta in some parts lol like there were moments where I felt like something awful was about to happen to her. Thankfully nothing happened... Yet. I'm sure something bad is coming soon though. Also really hope we find out what happened to Elsa later on, and that this show doesn't just drop it

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Piroko - Jun 12, 2008

51 by Dripz2012 »»
Apr 17, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 1 Discussion

Piroko - Jun 12, 2008

48 by Dripz2012 »»
Apr 17, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

whalegatorz - Jan 21, 2010

69 by maki_evergarden »»
Feb 3, 10:19 AM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 11 Discussion

blackfeather_58 - Aug 27, 2008

45 by maki_evergarden »»
Feb 2, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Piroko - Jun 12, 2008

58 by maki_evergarden »»
Jan 24, 8:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.