Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 21, 2012 2:22 PM

Jun 2008
Hikari08 said:
I definitely don't feel what some people termed as 'bromance'. It's more about friendship then anything else as Natsume does not want his ability to affect or put his friends into danger and thus alienating them or vice versa. In Tanuma, you have someone who feels that Natsume shouldn't shoulder such a huge responsibility on his own and under estimate his friends even though he didn't at first understand what it is that made Natsume feel that way. Now that he does, the experience could only serves to strengthen their friendship and perhaps lessen Natsume's fear of being unwanted because of his ability.

All of this exactly. Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't feel that the authors are pushing it with romance or BL or whatever. -.-
Feb 21, 2012 5:22 PM

Feb 2009
SO GOOD, daaammmnnn, Natsume, we are already in the middle of this season. NOOOOOOOOO! ;A;

About the BL thing, of course this isn't BL and Natsume and Tanuma are just friends. You see, I don't even think this has BL aura/jokes/traps either, Kimi to Boku sometimes makes you go with this "uuuultraaaa gay!" feeling, but just because of some joke like Chizuru saying "It's our f-first time... I'm so nervous" to Yuuki or Shun being treated like a girl. But Natsume is purely friendship, if you see bromance it's because you have a fujoshi mind and NatsumexTanuma is your favorite OTP here. Which is my case. fdfdffgyydugyugdugf;;

This episode was so sweet, sometimes I get mad with Natsume, thinking: "Why doesn't he tells Taki and Tanuma about it?", but there are a lot of reasons, not just the "I don't want to involve them" thing, but his own fear of being rejected and having to live in another place again, he doesn't want to lose what he has now, not simply because the others might get hurt, he's afraid of being alone again.
Feb 22, 2012 9:58 AM

Dec 2009
I like it when Sensei transforms into Reiko lol nice episode
Feb 24, 2012 9:08 PM
Jul 2018
I thought this was one of the creepiest episodes so far, but yeah, the ending was cute
Feb 25, 2012 2:05 PM

Nov 2008
I was really expecting Natsume to give his "first kiss" to Tanuma in that scene under the tree at the end.

But then, ever female character in the series (human and yokai) would have killed him! LOL

And Natsume looked so jealous when Natori turned on the charm for Tanuma.

I think that sensei is the only straight one in the bunch, and he was shape-shiped into drag! LOL
Feb 25, 2012 8:53 PM
May 2010
Bromance is not romance, it is friendship that looks like romance. So yeah, bromance all up in this bitch.
Feb 27, 2012 8:57 AM

Jun 2009
I loved this episode so, so much <3 Probably up there on my favourites. It’s just… impressive. If only Taki was there—it’d be even better…!

NATORI AND HIS SPARKLES ARE BACK. I MISSED YOU~ Hiiragi, too~

Nyanko-sensei in Reiko’s body is always superb~ Plus the fact he finally sort-of confessed he was somewhat close to Reiko and Natsume, so he always ends up looking like any of them.

The sole thing that mildly bothered me was the anti-climatic exorcism of Omibashira; I mean, after such high tension and dangerous aura all along, they just finished him off like that…? Doesn’t seem right to me.

Aw, Tanuma. You’re such a bro ;A;
I’m happy Tanuma understands, if only a bit more, Natsume’s apprehension and fear of telling everyone about what he can see—of getting them involved in such risky situations; and he knows, and tries to help. Yet it may only Natsume concern about his well-being all the more, just as it happened. Where’s the middle point? Be able to become of help without pressuring Natsume…?
I admire that.

Nanase’s past next episode!
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Mar 25, 2012 1:17 AM

May 2010
Nyanko-sensei as Reiko is amusing as always. :D

A backstory for an antagonist seems interesting.
Apr 20, 2012 10:50 AM

Nov 2009
Another great episode.
I like it how it's getting sweeter and warmer between Natsume and Tanuma.
Hope Natsume will learn to trust Tanuma better.
Sep 22, 2012 5:49 AM

Oct 2011
I think this was one of the strongest episode of natsume yuujinchou shi. Great friendship!
Jan 7, 2013 2:31 PM

Nov 2011
Lol, Madara and his impersonations. God, that paper face is just hilarious.
Apr 8, 2013 5:27 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Anisamar said:

Aw, Tanuma. You’re such a bro ;A;
I’m happy Tanuma understands, if only a bit more, Natsume’s apprehension and fear of telling everyone about what he can see—of getting them involved in such risky situations; and he knows, and tries to help. Yet it may only Natsume concern about his well-being all the more, just as it happened. Where’s the middle point? Be able to become of help without pressuring Natsume…?
I admire that.

Both Tanuma and Natsume are awkward with people yet both want to help each other out. It sucks, but there's no escaping that fear that the other might be in danger. Like in last season (I think or was it this season...), Tanuma said that he would dream of Natsume being eaten by a youkai and it scares him. Natsume also doesn't want his friend to be in danger by getting caught up with all the youkai stuff. Both of them suffer no matter what ;__; it was sad at the end when Tanuma was on the verge of crying, saying that he didn't want Natsume to suffer, or regret telling Tanuma about being able to see youkai. In the end, they're both trying to do the same thing, despite the difference in their ability to see/deal with youkai.
Jun 14, 2013 2:01 AM

Feb 2011
Haha , episode was completely surrounded by Yaoi aura xD
Nov 12, 2013 3:14 PM

Mar 2012
Hmmm, for some reason I want to learn more about Reiko after watching this episode. They haven't really showed us what happened to her or how an average day for her was. Hoping we'll get an episode about her this season.
Dec 23, 2013 11:58 PM

Jun 2012
Good episode. And, am I the only one who finds Natsume's thoughts at times boring? I understand he doesn't want his friends or family to get involved with yoka, but when someone offers help, why should he think over it for a insane amount of time?

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Dec 31, 2013 1:08 PM

May 2012
Quite interesting episode, a bit more serious toned but quite enjoyed it so let's see what's next!
Jan 22, 2014 5:03 PM

Dec 2010
dalek said:
SO GOOD, daaammmnnn, Natsume, we are already in the middle of this season. NOOOOOOOOO! ;A;

About the BL thing, of course this isn't BL and Natsume and Tanuma are just friends.

As a straight man, I'll tell you that what is shown in this series definitely isn't bromance. It's straight out gay. Normal straight men would never interact with other guys like that. I love this show but god damn it, sometimes I can't but feel disgusted by that borderline-BL shit. This series would be perfect without it.

Malestel said:
Even the author acknowledged that she doesn't understand male friendship and it really stands out...

And here we have the answer to all questions. The author simply doesn't understand what bromance is and in the attempt to include some of it failed miserably.
DarkDooM2Jan 22, 2014 5:07 PM
Feb 17, 2014 7:50 AM

Aug 2013
Aha so that's why... I've always thought the 'bromance' between Natsume and Tanuma were a little uh...sweet. Not that I'm complaining of course :p
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 17, 2014 10:19 PM

Dec 2012
That was kinda gay..

Apr 8, 2015 12:39 PM
Apr 2013
too much emotional nonsense, cheesy as hell
RedhillsApr 8, 2015 12:44 PM
Jan 6, 2016 10:05 AM

Aug 2014
when there is a close up of natsume's eyes and wow his eyelashes are pretty.

ahh, nyanko sensei was great as always. i wonder if this episode's revelations would change the future in a way. would natsume rely on his friends more?

the episode made me wonder, why doesn't nyanko sensei also eat youkai?

the pv is interesting, i see we are getting a flashback.
Jun 23, 2016 4:44 AM

Nov 2011
Pretty compelling storytelling, I also noticed that as humans, even the Ayakashi, in a sense, are selfish. Pleasant and very thoughtful episode, dialogues denote what Natsume and Tanuma are becoming more connected with each other, but the same can be said for Natori. It is also perceived as Natsume has become mature.
Jul 12, 2016 8:43 PM

Mar 2016
I think I just fell in love with Tanuma...
Oct 15, 2016 4:33 AM

Jun 2016
Interesting arc, with the obvious highlight being Madara stepping in as Natsume. I want more Evil Natsume shenanigans!
Nov 22, 2016 4:17 PM
Feb 2015
i hate how Natsume is overprotective and blames everything on himself
Jan 5, 2017 6:38 AM

Aug 2013
Really fun episode. The best part for me was how Tanuma began to realise how horrifying the Youkai world was and began to try to understand Natsume much better. The ending was a pretty gay though. Tanuma crying was kinda strange. They seem to have chemistry though, so I guess I don't mind. Not like the series is gonna become romance orientated, so whatever. I doubt they'd ever do this again.

I find it hilarious how all these guys are complaining about Natsume not having straight relationships or few females. Homosexuality is an actual relationship (not fanservice) and not everything in the world needs to cater for the male gaze. It's not like they were even acting that gay, calm down.
Saffron_entityJan 5, 2017 7:06 AM
[/url]
Seven-Coloured Puppeteer.
Jan 26, 2017 2:25 AM

Mar 2012
Ah, so the author didn't know how bromance worked xD Can't blame her but how the heck did it turn into overprotectiveness. Tanuma is cool but he's gotta calm down wanting to help Natsume so badly when the guy can't even see Yokai. Also Natsume's gotta stop treating Tanuma like a kid. He knows what he's getting himself into, it's not you forcing him into these situations. The fact that he can sense and vaguely see Yokai means that he would've bumped into trouble eventually.

Saffron_entity said:
Really fun episode. The best part for me was how Tanuma began to realise how horrifying the Youkai world was and began to try to understand Natsume much better. The ending was a pretty gay though. Tanuma crying was kinda strange. They seem to have chemistry though, so I guess I don't mind. Not like the series is gonna become romance orientated, so whatever. I doubt they'd ever do this again.

I find it hilarious how all these guys are complaining about Natsume not having straight relationships or few females. Homosexuality is an actual relationship (not fanservice) and not everything in the world needs to cater for the male gaze. It's not like they were even acting that gay, calm down.

Male gaze lol. I'm sure there are female viewers who'd want to see him in a normal relationship with one of the girls. That said, it's a Shoujo so not sure how people are surprised about the BL vibes here and there.
Apr 21, 2017 1:20 PM

Jul 2011
Are Natsume X Tanuma latent gay couple?

Holy moly, they act exactly like they are, plus in a cheap melodrama movie :D

Nov 11, 2017 4:52 PM

Apr 2017
NatsumexTanuma is my favorite OTP
Their relationship is amazing but I doubt we will be seeing ships like Nezumi/Shion also Mikaela/Yuuichirou or even Kaworu/Shinji
Apr 5, 2018 4:45 AM

Feb 2013
Nyanko-sensei should be more careful when he runs off like that, Tanuma was saved by that stone this time, but Natori won't be there everytime.
Jun 11, 2021 10:28 PM

Jan 2021
UAHHH, the last scene was cute in a way!!
I love the friendship between Tanuma and Natsume so much!!!
May 15, 2022 11:45 AM

Feb 2020
R.I.P all those poor youkai. :<

This was a really exciting episode and a good conclusion to the bottle arc.

I like Natsume and Tanuma's friendship.

SerafosApr 4, 3:59 AM
May 18, 2022 10:11 AM
Nov 2020
I just kinda don't like this tanuma guy, just fking listen to what natsume and nyanko-sensei said. he only make everything much worse.
Apr 2, 2023 11:23 PM
May 2021
Bold Natsume and blushing Sasada, I won't ask for much. I want more and more.
Sep 19, 2023 6:19 AM

Dec 2010
Walking a fine line between two Worlds while remaining emotionally engaged and invested in both of them is the hardest path, but surely it must be achievable if one can muster up the strength and pay the price?
Feb 20, 3:22 PM
Oct 2022
This arc was really fun! I do prefer more peaceful episodes, but these exciting ones are great too~ Tanuma was very relatable in the end- being a guy who isn’t afraid to cry in front of his friends and also struggles to understand what others want if they aren’t transparent about it. I think the author did a great job of capturing how scary it is to see someone you love (someone you need, as Natori said) in danger, their well being uncertain. Natsume becoming so afraid of being a gateway for Tanuma to be in danger led to him also having some somewhat suicidal ideation which was startling, but I can understand that too, and it was reassuring Natori was there for him when he started to spiral about it.

While I think the author did a great job capturing friendship and fear of loss (and guilt of potentially causing such loss), I do feel like this episode made me wish for a romantic future for Tanuma and Natsume. Seeing them get close together and be so honest and care so much, even if I’ve had similar moments with my own friends, it made me wish this anime would have more development there. I don’t want the genre to change into romance, but if Natsume can have friends and family and still have exciting adventures, I would trust this show to also give him a boyfriend and have exciting adventures- without having to change the current character focuses or suddenly have more of one character around (though I wouldn’t complain about Tanuma being around in more episodes- he’s awesome!)

Overall, a great arc I’ll rewatch- every character was well written, and the narrative was so interesting! I loved Madara turning into Natsume and Tanuma talking to Natsume in the bottle despite not seeing him. I also loved Natori in this episode!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Shi Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ClementIV - Mar 26, 2012

209 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 9, 3:50 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Shi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jan 30, 2012

89 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 8, 3:49 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Shi Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ClementIV - Jan 23, 2012

102 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 8, 3:29 AM

» Why wouldn't Natsume learn magic?

jihe - Mar 19, 2012

8 by Nakuy »»
Dec 5, 2023 8:17 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Shi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Mar 5, 2012

58 by Meritas »»
Sep 21, 2023 3:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.