Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 21, 2012 9:43 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
lol @ Maho being dragged into everything XD Especially during the sleeping scene. "Why am I here too...?"

(on a side note, I'm glad there's no more hatred going on among the girls. But there's still half of the series left, it can't all be peaceful)
Feb 11, 2012 12:40 AM

Sep 2011
Wouldn't say it was my favorite episode but it was alright. Hopefully the next one is better! I just want Arima to be back! >:(
Jun 16, 2012 10:04 PM

Nov 2011
Apr 21, 2013 9:39 PM

Jan 2013
Really like the serious scenes in this episode.
It was well done.
Apr 23, 2013 10:01 AM

May 2012
Some nice and serious family talk! That ending! Lets see what's next!
Jun 23, 2013 7:09 PM

Aug 2011
Enter, New Blonde dude.
"Even if the morrow is barren of promises... nothing shall forestall my return!"

Jan 26, 2014 1:03 PM
Apr 2013
Very good. Original, interesting, always something to think about in this anime.
RedhillsJun 23, 2014 5:56 AM
Jul 27, 2014 8:20 AM

May 2014
Annoying character alert, if you guys thought Maho was bad, Tsubasa is even worse. Bratty and spoiled, and not to mention the way she thinks is SOOOO simple, not high school like at all. Almost like a kid.
3/5 for the episode, I can see why the ratings for this show were around 7
Aug 17, 2015 2:13 AM

Apr 2013
A blonde bishounen looking guy ? Ok now I see how it's going to be.

Tsubasa behaves like a spoiled kid.
Dec 21, 2015 8:56 AM

Oct 2014
This might be one of the nicest non-story related arcs that I have seen.
I literally noticed in the OP the four friends of Tsubasa and their foreshadowing - one has a book ( i.e. the novelist ) and another one has a cute doll ( i.e. the one who might be a designer ) not really bad.

I wonder if the blond bishie is going to play a big role in the future. The ED was just instrumental and a nice touch there !
Tsubasa voice doesn't really match her character but I'll let that slide off.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan 16, 2016 7:47 AM

Nov 2011
Kids like Tsubasa really try to tick me off. When a single parent is working their butt off to take care of them, acting like this when they've finally found some relief and support is like spitting in their face for it.

It has nothing to do with Tsubasa's father not caring about her or even not showing it, because he does. Tsubasa is being incredibly selfish. Sure, so can say she's lived this long without her mother, but her dad has been living this long without his wife too. It's not like it hasn't been hard on him either.

The lack of understanding on her part just seems obnoxious to me.

Yukino's family continues to be amusing, at least.
Jun 6, 2016 3:23 PM

Oct 2012
Yeah, Tsubasa's selfishness was quite annoying this episode. I'd expect a 10 year old to act like that, but not a high schooler although it depends on just how much her father spoiled her I guess. Fortunately though, I'm not in a position where I can truly understand what it's like to only have been raised by one parent so I actually wasn't too put off by the drama here and everything else was just so entertaining that it only counts as a nitpick.

The lack of budget is really apparent now, though strangely enough I still find it as good as ever. That Uno scene was gold.
KoybzJun 6, 2016 3:27 PM
Jul 22, 2016 4:08 PM

Aug 2015
"Because we all think together we might find a happier place."

You can learn a lot about writing from Hideaki. For example: Instead of making a character and then assigning him with a gimmick(maybe he likes to eat a lot) or a corny ideology(Justice always prevail) you can actually look at him as a human being. A character which has a past, has reason to his actions, has logic behind it. Almost all the time, this logic is shown through subtle interactions between other characters. You the viewer will be shown that action among the characters. If you're smart/lucky you can infer the idea behind that logic and then understand the dynamic between the characters yourself. Dont worry, in-order to avoid confusion, to maintain accessibility, the director will reveal to you this dynamic himself by the end, like the reveal of a killer's identity in mystery shows. By the end the message of the character's dynamic is clear and now you can proceed to the next act that the director wanted to show you(next episode) so that when the play is finished, all the big pile of acts begins making sense. It becomes a big clear message under a general theme. Thats how Hideaki writes as seen also in Evangelion. Thats why people call him a great director.

Also lets not forget his great use of cheap budget that despite being truly cheap, is still extremely entertaining and even better looking (style-wise) than many anime today. But that is a discussion for another time.
Jul 31, 2016 11:55 PM

Jul 2013
Hoping this Tsubasa stuff is over soon, I thought they fleshed out her character well enough when Miyazawa reconciled with her. Giving her this much attention is kind of deflecting what's enjoyable about this show - Arima and Miyazawa. Although the new blonde guy seems like a good character.
Aug 21, 2016 10:27 PM

Oct 2012
Lol Maho, stop complaining already! xD

"Because we all think together we might find a happier place."
What a beautiful sentence

Where's ED? Sagashi mono wa nan desu ka?

While people complaining about the animation budget, I actually enjoy the simple animation like this
I mean that UNO scene isn't bad at all
"Signature removed"
Jan 27, 2017 12:23 AM

Aug 2014
all the parents look their kids age except arima's lmfao. THAT'S WHAT PARENTS ARE MEANT TO LOOK LIKE. THEY AREN'T MEANT TO LOOK 18
Xtina is my mother!
Jun 18, 2017 2:32 AM

Apr 2017
Yeah, Tsubasa is being selfish, but that's not the whole story.
She's only being that way because of Arima choosing Yukino and her inexperience with a mother figure.

It's fine to me because the show is trying to look at it from all sides. Sure, it's hard for her, but he is trying to find a way for everyone to be happier. Of course Tsubasa won't like it, because it's in her character to be untrusting of new people around her, and no wanting to lose the people she cares for.

though i wasn't really into the comedic reactions from the Miyazawas to Tsubasa's dramatic scene.

Great ep 4/5
Big breast are full of dreams, but small breast are full of hope.
Mar 6, 2018 9:34 AM

Apr 2015
Everyone puts up with a lot of Tsubasa's shit. Her dad should have slapped her way before she got to "Don't touch me, you hag!".

And she's going to get an attractive stepbrother who's in a band. Maybe Tsubasa's actually afraid of having the hots for her stepbrother?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Mar 12, 2018 5:07 PM

Nov 2016
Uno was soo funny xD

Tsubasa is behaving like a brat,but I guess that's fine,since she's one.One has also to consider the circumstances.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 20, 2018 4:18 PM

Feb 2013
Uno! That scene was pretty epic.
... so depressing too...
Jun 13, 2019 1:28 AM

Aug 2015
You fools! You're playing Uno in an already tense situation!

I have a feeling Maho is going to be the butt monkey in this anime...

Jun 25, 2019 11:42 AM

Jul 2016
Another good episode, though it wasn't that fun.
Sep 29, 2019 2:31 PM

Aug 2017
Great episode, I really loved the family talk there and a lot of symbols unique to Anno (poles, traffic lights, lanterns) which represent loneliness, alienation and hardships in human relationships. This made me even more surprised to learn that it was actually Kazuya Tsurumaki who directed this episode.
It's also cool how every character in the household had a role to fulfill, nobody was left out. The UNO game was particularly awesome, I absolutely adore the style of this scene, as well as incredible voice acting. You can really see that the seiyuu were having a lot of fun!

I'm looking forward to the resolution of Shibahime's arc so that we can focus on Arima, too!
St0rmbladeSep 29, 2019 3:28 PM
Sep 30, 2020 2:09 PM
Jul 2013
One episode worth more than some other entire series.
It's back on track to a 10/10.
And don't ever think you know someone in full.
May 29, 2021 9:53 AM

Jan 2021
WTF Gainax, your recap animation had nothing to do with the recap narration. AND they recapped from the beginning so this time it was legitimately too long.
Couldn't be bothered to draw backgrounds today, so just rotoscoped and/or high-contrast / overexposures. Looks about as good as it did in Lord of the Rings, literally some of the worst animation I've ever seen.
This reminds me of the Doctor Who episode "Shada" that I watched last week, that replaced missing footage with animation. Here, it's like Anno replaced missing animation with (bad) photos. Why show a unrecognizable photograph of "food" instead of just drawing "food"? Seriously, was that supposed to be a tea cup?
Anno's a big fan of live action (only half his work is animated) and he mixes the two a lot. He should have just shown photos instead of these processed images.
As I mentioned yesterday, they resort to long blocks of exposition when building character backstories way too much.
And the cast expands.
ED Video: Still on the boat
New ED: Instrumental / karaoke version
CalmTeaTimeJul 9, 2023 4:03 PM
Jun 11, 2022 5:31 PM

Jun 2019
Oh shit we about to get some step sibling action up in this bitch?
Jun 24, 2022 12:18 AM

Feb 2021
That was surprising...the fact their entire conversation was around basically public people seemed a little strange.

Last episode made a point about how Miyazawa wasn't sure about what would happen when she wouldn't see Arima on a daily basis at school. So far she's learning to also depend on friends as well, so I guess it's working out better then I thought it would
Apr 25, 2023 11:29 PM
Jul 2021
excelente capitulo
Apr 27, 2023 6:24 AM

Jun 2021
Uno card game with actual Uno cards and not a copyright-safe stand-in was unpredictable (and yet another clever way to save animation budget)

Miyazawa mom telling her wish to have a daughter like that in front of her actual ones... lol

That slap... was deserved, honestly.
Apr 27, 2023 12:53 PM

Jun 2022
That Uno game lol

Also Hideaki and Tsubasa are going to be family now, didn't see that coming

Show keeps getting more and more interesting :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 3 Discussion

philautia_ - Jun 19, 2009

38 by Aizzu »»
Apr 3, 12:13 PM

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Oct 21, 2008

69 by Aizzu »»
Apr 3, 11:18 AM

» Kare Kano

Lilly1x - Feb 8, 2009

2 by mokkocchi »»
Apr 2, 9:41 AM

» Best DVD quality for Kare Kano?!! (Some releases look better than others apparently...?)

LoganJones - Apr 13, 2019

2 by GreatAide »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Does anyone else agree that this anime deserves a remake the most?

KaiserVonGogureo - Sep 23, 2022

11 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Jan 25, 7:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.