Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 18, 2016 3:52 PM

Apr 2016
Okay this video is a pain in the ass to find.

It's either region B, which is useless to me (live in Canada) or for some reason a blu-ray copy is going for $150+!

Or I've read that the dub/sub is shit on some copies.

I found a blu-ray copy made by Panorama Corporation on ebay for $25 CDN. It doesn't seem to have an English dub on it.

Here's an image of the cover

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjQwWDUxNw==/z/YTsAAOSwv0tVLNXD/$_12.JPG

Is this legit?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2016 4:40 PM

Jun 2011
I haven't watch anything this boring in a while. Watching an anime is like reading a storybook, watching GitS is like reading a 10k words long poorly written thesis on life philosophy about the concept of life and death, reality and imagination.

I liked the theme of the story, but I don't think that they conveyed it in the way that makes people, or at least me, care about it. Same as the characters, every time they quote a famous individual, I face palm myself. It was certainly weird for me, because those famous people were once alive in our world, but I have a hard time picturing the connection between our world and the GitS universe.

The characters are boring. Batou and Togusa are just boring as the leads of Innocence.

I certainly do hope that SAC is a lot better, and that people don't actually quote somebody else in their everyday conversation.

P.S. The CGI was good, but I'd rather they choose to either go with full 2D, or full 3D. The difference from 3D and 2D was pretty jarring.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 6, 2016 3:39 PM

Apr 2016
It was a bit wordy. But the animation was first rate and the story is typical of GITS. 7.5/10

But TBH all the talk of the 'meaning of life' lead me to think: Well that's all well and good but I still gotta go to work on Monday.

Everyone wants to know the meaning of life.

But no one needs to know the meaning of life. It isn't essential to living.

My two cents. Cheers. :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2016 5:35 PM

Jul 2015
I only want to say that the animation on the first "Gabriel" the dog's scene was insanely awesome. 12/10 for that dog.
I'll fade away and classify myself as obsolete!
Obsolete!!
Jan 27, 2017 10:47 AM

Dec 2015
"Oh for the love of god please stop with the fucking quotes" <--- that was me during the second half of the movie. 4/10
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 16, 2017 6:10 PM

Apr 2012
Pretty sure there are more quotes in the last 5 minutes of Laughing Man than the whole of this.

If anyone's confused about the "Aemaeth" bit, "2501" was Batou & Kusanagi's codeword from the first film.
Apr 20, 2017 12:05 PM

May 2016
This was pretty messed up movie kinda boring without the major, for those who don't understand this movie go watch the Stand Alone Complex after that you are gonna get the main idea about this movie.
May 10, 2017 2:45 PM

Jun 2015
I loved the opening of this movie more than the previous. I had underestimated it. I admit I was wrong. The visuals and the music were absolutely amazing.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Sep 6, 2017 1:47 PM
Jul 2018
this whole movie is like a cut scene from a game lol. i didn't really mind the CGI but the quotes killed the whole movie. not as interesting as the first thats for sure.
Mar 19, 2019 4:53 PM

Sep 2014
Sound was great again, but CGI always ages like milk and this is no exception. Compared to the first, this one looks just bad. Maybe thats down to the time its from, early 2000 has easily the worst kind of animation and style, especially paired with CGI.

I definitely like this kind of GITS the most, I couldnt stand SAC, maybe I will try it again, but it feels good finally having watched this one, now the GITS universe which got me interested is finished.

That being said, Innocence doesnt come close to the original. I dont like to use that word to describe anime, but it felt pretentious at times. The hacking scene in the middle/end was cool, but other than that? I guess its good to know the Major still exists as a person, these kind of scenarios often have the personality disappear when entering the greater network.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jul 19, 2019 6:37 AM
Jan 2018
Prefferd the orginal . And have no clue how major ended up in the network
Jul 21, 2019 4:39 PM

Oct 2013
Very good movie with decent plot and visuals. I liked it more than the previous "Ghost in the Shell", mostly because its plot was more clear and philosophical aspects of advanced technology had more impact on the plot here, at least for me.
Nov 3, 2019 8:12 AM

Jan 2013
this movie was full of pretentious 3deep5you quotes and pregnant beerbellybot clones. how those uncanny shells are supposed to be the ideal human form in its peak performance state is something i can't fathom. guess that was their masters kink. weakest entry to the gits franchise.
May 17, 2020 10:09 PM

Dec 2012
I don't get why they berated the girl at the end, how was she not a 100% victim? It wasn't her that caused the dolls to go amok.
May 17, 2020 10:16 PM

Apr 2020
Dragonfist said:
I don't get why they berated the girl at the end, how was she not a 100% victim? It wasn't her that caused them to go amok.

He was more just angry at the situation. The gynoids were also in agony from the messed up ghost dubs and it pissed him off that there was so much suffering. This movie has a lot of tonal problems and I definitely think that scene could have been handled better because it does just feel like he's yelling at a little girl.
Aug 4, 2020 9:26 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
I'll be frank here. First half was fairly solid but the Second half almost incomprehensible leaving my final impressions to be very mixed and overall not positive, I'm afraid.

I'm not going to dive in too much on it but I'll just say that the whole progression just felt overly sophisticated and, as a result, came off as trying too hard. I was somehow holding my ground, even through that maze I think, until that final submarine (was it?) scene fighting the organisation dropped.

On to the other departments now. Animation Quality was definitely a few notches up compared to the first movie even though the artwork itself was probably inferior. A few jarring scenes despite that but I'm more accustomed to this outlook, for better or worse.

Batou and Togusa taking the spotlight for the movie was an interesting move but honestly I'd rather prefer to have the Major starring the MC role.

Edit: Re-watched the movie and my thoughts are pretty much the same once again. Overly sophisticated followed by a vague conclusion...
_MushiRock11_Aug 31, 2020 8:33 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 23, 2020 12:41 PM

Nov 2018
As someone who knows hebrew, truth is not spelled as aemeth in an english transliterated form. It is spelled either as Emes or Emet. It's either an S or a T because of varying pronunciations by different parts of the Jewish community.

Nov 3, 2020 3:21 AM

Sep 2017
This film takes the philosophical underpinnings of its predecessor and gives it context and weight. Perhaps Oshii 'spells' things out too often for my liking, but the effort and level of detail is praiseworthy.
Nov 3, 2020 8:56 AM

Nov 2013
Plotwise it was solid detective film. Both Batou and Togusa characters were pretty well executed and 'the timeloop' scene was pretty well done and easily my highlight when watching it.

Visual-wise I don't like it. It was pretty but the usage of CGI I feel like really hammering down the atmosphere that makes the first GItS movie a special experience. The soundtrack is not as memorable too.

I don't like the first GItS movie but there's still a feeling to rewatch the film in the future because how broad the story is and the themes the movie cover. I cannot say the same for Innocence.

So in all, it was kinda letdown.

I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Mar 8, 2021 5:34 PM

Jun 2017
Batou's manner of speech to the little girl is really repelling, as some have said. Even if it is true what he says, none of it is her fault. But given his character (as in the movies I haven't seen or read the other media) it's not surprising he's so inconsiderate when dealing with an obviously traumatised child, even if he does care (after all, isn't he precisely lamenting the state that while this child will be saved, the copies that existed across the "Dolls" have been killed, many by his own hand?).

Oshii's dog-mania is pretty funny even when he ties it into his themes.
May 12, 2021 8:57 AM

Nov 2018
Even more pseudo deep.
13 minutes in and I'm already tired of these '''wise'' quotes.
I liked first movie's CGI and aesthetics much much more...
I hate everyone equally
May 12, 2021 9:10 AM

Nov 2018
I understand that CGI and storytelling is so robotic , because the movie is literally about robots and corresponding philosophy , but it really isn't that deep.
I prefer Eve no jikan to all these quotes and sometimes ugly 3D CGI.

Huge Paprika vibes.
ZevvenMay 12, 2021 9:53 AM
I hate everyone equally
Sep 15, 2021 8:48 AM

Mar 2017
I prefer the animation and aesthetics of the first movie but in terms of pacing and storytelling, I would say Innocence did a better job. You can still find many philosophical elements in Innocence like in the first movie. On the otherside, I thought the extreme use of sayings or quotes are a downside for this movie.
Apr 11, 2022 4:28 PM
Jul 2018
I almost rated this 1/10 but when everything goes hectic in the end it packed a punch. Still the first installment is much better and I didn't even a fan of it.
May 4, 2022 5:04 AM
Jul 2019
Top 5 most underrated anime i feel

Jul 27, 2022 5:36 AM

Jul 2014
Constantly quoting philosophers is not a substitute for actual character development or actually having a meaningful plot: all it does is highlight how utterly devoid of its own things to say this movie is. It's worse than the original in every way other than 2D animation (the 3D sucks, but the 2D is fantastic) and is also just boring in its own right. Also, much like how Ghost in the Shell's ideas and themes are all executed better by Blade Runner, this is inferior to both that and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? in much the same way.
AtavisticJul 27, 2022 5:59 AM
Oct 2, 2022 1:49 PM
Jan 2016
This is without a doubt the highest point of 2D animation, simply perfect and unbeatable.
Jan 31, 2023 1:11 PM
Dec 2017
I felt underwhelmed the first time I saw this. I’ve seen it twice since, and liked it better every time, and felt it was 5 stars this last time. Watching it back to back with the original, and being more familiar with its philosophical themes, helped deepen my appreciation for it.
Jun 8, 2023 9:36 AM

Dec 2022
This movie is sufficient. The scenery and visuals are as stunning as ever, and I suppose Batou being the main protagonist here was to give him a bit of spotlight. It also has underrated horror value, especially in the second half with the jumpscares and weird jerky doll kid army. Even the human kids are somewhat terrifying, with how uncanny their faces and expressions are.

As for the flaws — even more auditory torture taking the form of terrible chanting songs that play constantly throughout the film (which have nothing to do with the setting), overuse of literary quotes in place of original dialogue, and reused scenes bring it down somewhat. I suppose the main issue is that it felt like it was too in love with itself at times.
Archean-ReturnJul 8, 2023 2:13 PM

Shaded Horizon

Sep 4, 2023 2:17 AM
Aug 2020
GITS is my favorite series ever and I just now got around to watching this. It's a solid 8/10 and for any GITS lover, it's a must see in a long line of must sees in the GITS universe
Feb 1, 4:34 PM

May 2021
Incredible film all around, in my opinion.

I loved the use of CGI, it's not only highly experimental & honestly still holds up to this day, but also really expressed the film's futurist themes & the blurring of the artificial & real in a way which made the themes practically omnipresent, not to mention how it helps create a unique atmosphere distinct from the original.

Batou is a great lead, he's not just supremely fun to watch in a lot of scenes, but the way the film subtly digs into his overall life and characterization was really engaging. The way Motoko's disappearance hangs over him across the film and how he slowly learns to get over it as he comes to understand life beyond the strictly human conception of it and thus realizes that the Major will always be with him.

The movie's themes were really great. Where the original explores what the blurring line between man & machine means for those who already consider themselves alive, this film explores it from the angle of what it means for those that are already artificial. It challenges what life even is even more than the original did, and wrapped it up in a really earnest message of empathy for everyone & everything that could conceivably be seen as alive, and a reminder of mankind's responsibility to both itself and its creations going forward.

Oshii's direction was incredible as usual and Kenji Kawai's score is already an instant addition to my playlist
Barely catching my breath!
Lay my eyes on the crest!
Gonna square up to all of the heat that is left!
So I carry the torch! To Inferno! Inferno!
Mar 28, 7:24 AM

Aug 2013
It's kinda incredible just how good this movie looks considering its backgrounsd are all made in early 2000s CGI. The art direction is just phenomenal.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Warning: Watch SAC first!

Halkenburg - Jul 29, 2015

5 by Satyr_icon »»
Mar 28, 7:19 AM

» Does anyone know why this movie is called "Innocence"?

R_2_R - Jul 30, 2022

6 by El-Melloi »»
Oct 7, 2022 10:05 AM

» GITS 2nd movie, for those who DID watch it

kalepf22 - Apr 13, 2021

4 by anime-prime »»
Apr 14, 2021 2:08 AM

» New DVD coming out.

tabernac - Jan 17, 2017

1 by tabernac »»
Jan 20, 2017 12:04 PM

» Overkill

Kayrhandros - Apr 15, 2007

4 by Naratchi »»
Jun 2, 2010 11:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.