Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 26, 2011 1:40 AM

Nov 2007
"many children are turning invisible as we speak, THIS IS UNFORGIVABLE"
"yes dad oh btw i need some cash for himari's medicine if that's alright"

lol ok there kanba

superb animation quality this week; i can watch the child broiler scene forever and tear up every time ; ___ ;
Nov 26, 2011 1:53 AM

Nov 2011
this episode is very lovely T_T shouma & himari are very cute & the ost is killing me..

I speculate that the end of the show someone will be sacrificed...

so shouma, kanba, masako & mario are related????
the old symbol of penguinforce looks like penguin hat... so who is this princess of crystal..
their speeches similar in the way, maybe the group try to obtain penguindrum to complete their objective to stop the child broiler..

on another note: dang it! sanetoshi is FABULOUS MAXX in this ep!!!
Nov 26, 2011 3:15 AM

Dec 2009
I still wonder whether they will go back and revisit a lot of things that were introduced earlier in the anime such as:
- Himari's friendship with Double H
- Tabuki and Yuri
- what's going on with those Project Ms
- if Mario, Kanba, and Natsume are all siblings, why has Kanba seemingly abandoned them?

and I'm sure I've forgotten a lot, but this show has managed to put so much content but still keep my attention.

These next 4 weeks are going to be FABULOUSSSS MAXXX
Nov 26, 2011 4:05 AM

Jan 2010
I love this show, but I'm still kinda lost ... :'D I hope they explain everything.. XD

Oh and RingoxShouma ftw~
Nov 26, 2011 5:29 AM
Jun 2011
Such a poignant episode. Himari crouched on the stairs was so sad. Another thing that makes me sad is that one of the best series I've ever watched is nearing its conclusion.

However despite indications to the contrary I think that Shouma is going to end up with Ringo or nobody. Especially coz of the way he opens up to her telling her about him and Himari.

joongki said:
"many children are turning invisible as we speak, THIS IS UNFORGIVABLE"
"yes dad oh btw i need some cash for himari's medicine if that's alright"

lol ok there kanba

yup kanba is a badass as ever.
Nov 26, 2011 8:17 AM

Aug 2008
Shoma looks so cute & pudgy as a child! :3
I think I'm one of the slower ones. Didn't even realize Natsume and Kanba are related!
For some reason, I always feel like I'm watching a 52 ep anime. The amount of revelations and storytelling in Penguindrum is incredible.
Nov 26, 2011 12:05 PM

Jun 2008
Raven_Shinobi said:
kirarakim said:

I agree. I don't know why people have given up on Shouma/Ringo when this episode gave plenty of hints that Shouma/Himari isn't meant to be.

If Shouma is Himari's destined groom that Sanetoshi referred to in Ep 9, then he'd like for them to get together at all costs, even if it turned out to be just a marriage of convience to make his plans come to fruition. I think he might have brought up kissing to tempt Himari, and now that Shouma is her friend Ringo's love interest, this renders Shouma to sort of a forbidden fruit. We'll find out soon enough.

i also gotta read the novels*.*

Thank you Raven;)

I have a feeling that before the last episode we´ll get trolled again and we will find out something like Himari being in love with Kanba but doesnt want to get their "family" feeling destroyed or something like that, lol. (but then i wonder who Kanba really loves...the princess of crystal or Himari? ). And the talk about kissing...Kanba also kissed Himari as well as Shou "kissed" Ringo...definitely means something XD and Sanetoshi told Himari something like "do you want to obtain the fruit?" which makes me think perhaps she wants the fruit (love)of Kanba. Remember he has one on his hand on the flashback. Which means that currently Himari might be talking not about Shou but about Kanba, since she already obtained Shou´s fruit.
and Sanetoshi definitely wants to kiss Himari, but he loves Momoka so...?. Hope we can get the answer of that riddle next ep.

You´ve got a point there. I wonder what Sanetoshi really wants. I also dont see this yet turning into Shou x Himari.
But then i think we have more possibilities of getting a Shou x Ringo end than a Himari x Kanba end.

And i bet penguindrum will only appear at the last episode.

oh btw and about supporting charas, i want a Yuri x Tabuki end !!!
OrulyonNov 26, 2011 12:11 PM

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Nov 26, 2011 12:16 PM

Aug 2011
If someone have to die, I think the option is between Kanba and Ringo
Kanba because in both openings is shown falling down, distanced of the others and stuff like that
and Ringo because she is shown ablaze, like a hint that she will use the diary of destiny.
Nov 26, 2011 1:37 PM

May 2010
this episode,.. so sad ,so lovely ,so fabulous!

"so, you want to obtain the fruit. kiss alone is not enough..."
for a second there I though Himari wants to be pregnant
Nov 26, 2011 3:46 PM

Jan 2011
Throughout this series we have seen progressively more information revealed about just what it is all about. The latest confirmation of just what the family relationships are between the "Takakura" children is an example. What most impresses me, is that even though we were presented with limited information at the start (including some misleading information), there has never been a moment where I felt that I needed to have read the LN (or played a VN or game) in order to understand who was who in an episode. Considering how a couple of high profile and anticipated shows this season have failed miserably in this regard (Horizon anyone?), this is quite an achievement.

I've already given this a 10 and I don't think that rating is going to change over the next four weeks, but I do really want to get my hands on a translation of the LNs and read the series.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Nov 26, 2011 3:50 PM
Dec 2008
this show is FABULOUS MAX indeed ......it's gets more and more connected and obvious by every episode ...but well it's still too early to understand everything now . great art + great music + great story + great whatsover = this one hell of a great show :D
Nov 26, 2011 7:42 PM

Jul 2008
rodac said:
What most impresses me, is that even though we were presented with limited information at the start (including some misleading information), there has never been a moment where I felt that I needed to have read the LN (or played a VN or game) in order to understand who was who in an episode. Considering how a couple of high profile and anticipated shows this season have failed miserably in this regard (Horizon anyone?), this is quite an achievement.

I thought this was an original work. So there isn't anything like an LN or VN to read first right?
Nov 26, 2011 8:01 PM

Nov 2009
wow. this was pretty beautiful. i like himari a little more now and i especially like the random scenes where ringo was present (even if she didnt say anything). shomas character really gained a lot of respect from me. but yea, i think theres a big thing to be said with himari already having "obtained" shoumas apple. he changed both of their fates by giving it to her. i think its down to kanba and himari now. and the reason why kanba abandoned his family. it was so typical of mawaru penguindrum to have a sex crazy brother complex character like masako. her role seems much more defined now. at least for me. i want to say i wasnt surprised that they ended up beings siblings, although i really can't understand how kanba came to be the siding force with shomas parents. and why they consider him their son?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 26, 2011 9:37 PM
Jun 2011
Himari is the only one who hasn't got a crazy stalker bitch episode, so expecting one along those lines, especially with the ominous curry. Does anyone know what's written on the box?
spigotNov 27, 2011 4:55 AM
Nov 26, 2011 9:52 PM

Oct 2011
Guys, here's my analysis...to the entire show so far. Does anyone disagree with this theory? This is a hella confusing show
First, we gotta start with the allegory that we saw on episode 12... well here's a sluggish recap:
Mary had three lambs and an apple tree, they are his/her two treasures. One day the apple trees started dying, and all the fruits it bore disappeared. Soon after, the two dark bunnies appear and tells him a way to revive the tree, which is by taking the goddess' flames. Then the goddess punished the youngest lamb(Himari).

Okay, here's the thing. In this allegory, everything has to represent something. "Mary" was the father, who ending up having Himari as 'collateral' (remember how you can use life force as like a currency? being transferable?) to regain his other treasures, 'the apples', when he stole the 'flame' from the 'goddess'; the one to told them how to do that is Sanetoshi, obviously represented by the twin black rabbits (sort of life the whisper of the devil).

Well then, first question: What represents the flames and the goddess?

Given that the apple means

(it doesn't exactly have ANY magical properties, but just a symbolic object), this would mean that the allegory reflects that: their father went nuts out of despair with the cruelty of the world (he lost his apples, which symbolizes 'happiness', 'hope', and 'future') and planned the attack with hopes that somehow it would somehow allow him to regain what was lost. Or so Sanetoshi (or the Rabbit) made him believe. This eventually caused Momoka to completely sacrifice herself to change 'fate'.

Now, this is the key point: Momoka sacrificed herself USING the Fate Diary, the only object thus far capable of shifting realities (now that apples are out of the equatiion). I can't think of what else the flame could possibly mean, or any other reason their father would be manipulated by Sanetoshi IF NOT for the flames (aka the Fate Diary).
In short: the flames had been the objective all along, and Sanetoshi only used their father as a pawn in an elaborate plan to manipulate Momoka, the wielder and the 'guardian' of the flames, into sacrificing herself.

By any means, the plan was successful, and a part of that flame was stolen from the goddess, only the stolen flames were very faint. The only user that was capable of using these flames was Momoka, so once she dies, what's the point of having something you can't use? Obviously Sanetoshi can't touch the flames himself, otherwise he wouldn't need the help of "Mary" to acquire the flames.

This is where the penguin hats come in. The hats are a manifestation of the fragments of the flame (byproducts of whatever incident that occurred 16 years ago), they are extremely faint on their own while separated from the main body, yet nonetheless, it still has the ability (like the fate diary) to convert life force into tiny miracles (not to the extent the main body, the Fate Diary can), which is how they managed to keep Himari alive by sacrificing Kanba's life force. But this fragment, being separated from the body, is extremely weak, and cannot sustain this miracle, which is why the quest has always been to acquire the Penguindrum.

Now, for the million dollar question: WHO IS THE PERSON INSIDE THE HAT?

Because there aren't that many clues disclosed so far, I can only speculate.

So on top of my analysis of the story thus far, here's a little crackpot theory:

The FATE DIARY (the flames) and the GODDESS are inseparable, meaning that the flames are at the very core of the goddess. The goddess was much more powerful when she was whole with the Fate Diary, and she deemed Momoka to be its wielder because she has a good heart, and infused her consciousness with Momoka's. However, Sanetoshi, always envious of her powers (he probably is an entity of the same caliber, except without the all-powerful Diary, the Dark Rabbits might've even been the Goddess' pet), decided to seize this opportunity for his own ambitions (think Homunculus and Brotherhood). After he manages to break off the actual goddess from her source of power and trap her within a hat, all that's left is to convince her to transfer the ownership of the Diary to himself. Since the goddess' consciousness is now infused with Himari's, symbolically, Sanetoshi must make her his "bride" in order to control the Diary. The goddess knew that she was weak and that she might die (along with her host), if she doesn't reunite with the Diary soon. Which is the whole premise behind episode 9. If Himari (goddess inside) had accepted Sanetoshi's kiss, it'd have been all over - she'd live for certain but would have to share the flames with Sanetoshi as she's wed him. But, of course, Himari chose to refuse his offer, and the scene ends with her plummeting back to reality.

BUT, this is also where they had one of the most important conversation in the show, which is what I'm basing this entire theory on:
*Himari was still herself, even though this all happened in her deep subconscious*
Himari: Whose bride will I become?
Sanetoshi: The answer to that is already at the destination of fate.
Himari: The destination of fate? Where is that?
Sanetoshi: You should already know that place. I'll tell you the answer when you need me again, after you return to the real world. About the destination of fate, whose bride you are... until then... ***Himari stops the kiss***.
Himari: No.

... cuts to a flashback ... yup. the very same one where Shouma gave her the apple (of hope).

-Sanetoshi is "telling" Himari the answer to the destination of fate (the ending that He wants) by targeting her in the conscious world, because the goddess is dormant inside of her (because she's so weak), Sanetoshi only has to manipulate Himari into becoming her "bride".
-The significance of the flashback is: Himari defied Sanetoshi because she sincerely believed that there's only one person that she can share this with: her soul mate (who also happens to have a good heart), so she gambled her life on Shouma.
ideoidiomNov 27, 2011 12:12 AM
Nov 27, 2011 12:10 AM

Jun 2008
Questions are answered but more are raised....

So it seems to be confirmed that Masako and Kanba are related, which makes Masako's stalkerish behaviour rather creepy (not to mention the kiss, haha). But then how are they separated? How did Kanba end up in the Takakura household? If he's not the Takakura son, why is he the one meeting with the parents and taking care of Himari and Shouma? Maybe Kanba's father is a good friend/cult co-leader to Kenzan, and Kanba is taking over that role?

It seems that Kanba loves Himari more than the sibling love? and that's why Masako is jealous. So I wonder if Kanba and Himari had a fated meeting when they were younger too that made him pay attention to her and leave Masako's family to join Shou and Himari's?

The flashback was sad. Kitty, nuuuuuuu!!!!! It makes me wonder if the Child Broiler is a real place or not. I'm pretty sure with Tabuki it wasn't a real place, that it's a metaphorical place, but now it seems like a real place, since Shouma and Kenzan were talking about it? The apple that Shou gave Himari seems to be imagined by Himari at least, so maybe the Broiler itself is metaphorical too?

Speaking of Tabuki though, I see a lot of parallel between Shouma saving Himari and Momoka saving Tabuki. Shouma and Momoka saved Himari and Tabuki because they didn't want Himari and Tabuki to give up on themselves. It's a gesture of kindness perhaps, because Shouma and Momoka are considerate people and don't want to abandon their friends.

However, their gesture of kindness for saving them was interpreted by Himari and Tabuki as love, and "soul mates", because Shouma and Momoka were the first and only people to show kindness to them. As we can see, Tabuki was obsessed with Momoka, believing she was his fated one, but I don't think Momoka feels the same way; there's no concrete evidence, but it seems to me that Momoka saw Tabuki as a dear friend, just as she views Yuri as a dear friend. She doesn't see Tabuki as her fated one.

So same with Himari I think. She saw Shouma as her fated one/soul mate because he was the only person to show her kindness. But like Momoka, I don't think Shouma sees Himari as his fated one, just as a dear friend who he made into family.

So I don't think the show is going in the direction of Shouma x Himari. And I think Himari realizes this (that Shouma doesn't see her as a fated one), and decides not to pursue it (as seen by her talk with Sanetoshi (who's getting creepier, though his bunnies' antics are funny, like the penguins').

Btw, Kenzan talks like Princess of the Crystal, who comes from the destination of their fates. Hm.....
Nov 27, 2011 3:03 AM

Jun 2009
There is one reason why I think Child Broiler isn't the real place...
We already had three flashbacks of Himari in CB (Episodes 9, 19 and 20), but except
"-Let's share the fruit of fate.
-Thank you for choosing me."
They are totally different...

Never saw no miracle of science, that didn't go from a blessing to a curse
Never saw no military solution, that didn't end up as something worse
Nov 27, 2011 4:32 AM

Mar 2008
ideoidiom said:

Very convincing!

This explains why Princess of the Crystal, if aren't Momoka, talk to Shouma and Ringo using the words "you humans".
PaninaManinaNov 27, 2011 7:05 AM
Nov 27, 2011 7:39 AM

May 2010
Magnificent episode.
The child broiler scene is simply topnotch. DAT OST!!!
Also, it's already in ep 20 and still it's going everywhere.
Nov 27, 2011 8:12 AM

Dec 2008
Yupp, the vocal version of that track was so amazing!! *o*

@spigot: It's Penguin Curry, they sell it too. xD
Nov 27, 2011 10:02 AM

Mar 2008
Minna, anyone knows how to contact Ikuhara?
For real, i want to have a interview with him.
There are some mail by which I can contact him?
Nov 27, 2011 11:28 AM

Mar 2008
PaninaManina said:
Minna, anyone knows how to contact Ikuhara?
For real, i want to have a interview with him.
There are some mail by which I can contact him?
lol, you beat me to the question. However I'm looking for his IRL mailbox rather than email. I feel like organasing a flashmob to send Ikuhara-sensei some apples as a thank-you gift for the show xD

ideoidiom said:
Guys, here's my analysis...to the entire show so far. Does anyone disagree with this theory? This is a hella confusing show

Wow! Sugoi!!! That's quite some job you've done! A very interesting read! I don't agree with it though :P One of the major reasons - episode 19 and Sanetoshi's words: "I wonder if that was enough to make her burn the diary. After all. I can't do it myself. I can't win the game with that thing around". So rather than getting his hands on the diary, he wants it to disappear, to be gone from the world. This unfortunately goes against your theory.
I know you have asked me already what's my own point of view on the Diary itself. Sorry, I'm quite limited with my time because RL > Internet, but let me answer it quickly for now. I think that the Diary itself is an allusion to the Bible. The Diary itself is just a book. The so-called spell written in the diary is nothing but a teaching how to find God through Love. Diary is not the penguindrum itself. Diary is only the key how to be able to use the penguindrum and change the world around to the better. So, I don't think that God and Bible are really that inseparable. But were the Book to entirely disappear from the world, people would forget about the God itself...

Oh, thanks a lot to everyone of you who contacts me to thank for my posts. I'm very grateful to you all and this stunning show itself. Hopefully I'll post my thoughts about the episode 20 later tonight. An epic episode indeed. But there's so much to write that I'm not sure I can handle it in time.
Laters.
Nov 27, 2011 4:44 PM

Oct 2009
Shouma, Himari, and the other questions in the episode aside, I'm wondering about the goals the Kiba/Penguin group has. For most of the series I thought they had some screwed idea of justice in which they had to kill people to to achieve it (kinda like Hitler? But terrorists?). But after hearing the father's conversation with Shouma about the child broiler I got the impression that he wanted to stop it... So maybe the group's motives are actually good? And most of society does not realize how corrupt their world is? Is the group taking the right actions against it or the wrong ones?
Do they realize the world is corrupt because they ate the apples?
But I also read an idea somewhere that maybe the apples come from the child broiler... That seems contradicting -.-
But I don't think the group supports the child broiler in any way... If they did I think Takakura would've objected to Shouma taking in Himari.
Nov 27, 2011 6:51 PM

Oct 2011
Hmm. I'm not sure exactly how the book works, but it certainly isn't an artifact like Death Note, where anyone can write in it and it can come true. For example, when regular people like Ringo read the diary, it was a regular diary, filled with things that Momoka wanted to to do Tabuki, but none of that came true, which means writing on it isn't the proper method (thus not everyone can use it). But if it's just a worthless piece of symbolic object, why did Momoka stop Yuri from touching it in episode 15? No. There are more secrets to the Diary, or, more precisely, the "spell".

Also, I don't think Sanetoshi's objective is to destroy the Diary, because it would be far, far, too easy to accomplish. I mean think about it: if the Diary was indeed his Kryptonite, he would have used all means necessary to destroy it, and he had 16 years to do it. 16 years. All that time it's been sitting with Ringo, and with all the resources Sanetoshi (probably) has access to, it would have been easy, to say the least, to snatch it from her, or even have a hired gun to destroy it. So physical ownership of the Diary is unnecessary, but the spell, or whatever the forces was behind shifting realities, are. (You shouldn't be able to tear apart such an important artifact anyway)

What exactly is the nature of the spell? (Definitely not everyone can use it, so what makes Momoka special?)

I can't discern all the secrets of the Diary, because it's mostly a mystery at the moment and still could basically develop in any direction. But I can try to connect the dots.
It isn't a coincidence that what was written on that Diary was Momoka's 'dreams' of a future with Tabuki. Since the 'fuel' for the spell had been one's lifespan, the 'future' that was written on that Diary would have come true, but instead, Momoka used her future (remember the ongoing apple theme?) as sacrifice to cast the spell. The brighter one's future is, the more powerful the spell. Thus, the Diary is actually a record of the happiness she forgone, or, as it pertains to the allegory, the "ashes"(residue) of the flames.

In fact, this is a wild swing, but, is it possible that the 'future' she used up went beyond her lifetime? Because I think the whole deal with Ringo feeling like she's the reincarnation of Momoka has something to do with this. It'd be a hell of a back story for Ringo. But who knows.

At any rate, I think we still need more clues as to how the spell takes form. (a book? a set of chanted words? a 'plea' to the goddess (kind of like a deal with the devil)?)

I think these are two huge mysteries that remain unsolved:
1. Just where did this 'spell' come from? Since it's existence is even beyond Sanetoshi himself, and there seems to be 'rules' governing their little game, just who is this 'higher being' governing the rules?

2. What is Sanetoshi's motive? I very much dislike the proposition that Sanetoshi is simply enjoying himself by manipulating people from the shadows. Although there is no doubt that he is, like the Hat Girl, a deity beyond human, he doesn't seem to be in complete control of things.
ideoidiomNov 27, 2011 6:59 PM
Nov 27, 2011 7:25 PM

Mar 2008
Mamoka, unlike all the others characters, was much loved by his family.
Nov 28, 2011 8:40 AM

Jun 2010
Every time I hear the Takakura father, I can't stop thinking of Touga from Utena.
Nov 28, 2011 8:47 AM

Oct 2010
I really love this show!! @_@
Nov 29, 2011 6:25 AM

Jun 2011
Just a quick and simple note: did anyone else notice that Takakura siblings (so-called) have NEVER used any kind of brotherly/sisterly expression? Shouma and Kanba never adressed to each other as "aniki", nor Himari called anyone of them "onii-san", nor did they call her "onee-chan" even once.

I think that in fact nobody will pair up with anyone (Shouma and Ringo have a chance, though). I don't like what I love better - Kanba x Himari or Kanba x Masako, but it's too late for Himari to notice Kanba and for him to change his attitude towards Masako. All love unrequited.

Also, maybe we've misunderstood Masako's love for Kanba? She despises Himari, especially when she calls herself his sister - if Masako and Kanba are really siblings, then Masako's just jealous of some random unrelated girl taking her beloved brother away, taking someone who's originally and really "hers", stealing and destroying her own family.
We have to keep our dreams alive. Something to look forward to.
Nov 29, 2011 7:46 AM
Oct 2011
Why would they call Himari 'onee-chan', when it's their little sister. They called her 'our imouto' sometimes, which means 'little sister' + Shouma did adresses Kanba with 'aniki' (which is not necessarily only used for siblings).
Nov 29, 2011 7:57 AM

Nov 2008
I'm not particularly attached to any particular couple, which is a first for me. However, this episode made me love Shouma x Himari. They were so cute together. Of course I've also loved those moments between Himari x Kanba. As for Ringo x Shouma...I just can't seem to care either way, so whether they end up together or not...its all the same to me. I just hope that by the end both Shouma and Himari are happy, whether together or apart.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Nov 29, 2011 8:45 AM

Jun 2011
Himari is only 1-2 years younger than them (or maybe actually the same age, since she's not related to them). Besides, doesn't "imouto" stand for any kind of sister, older and younger? It's simply a word with this meaning, but not a way to adress.

And onee-chan is acceptable for a younger one. It'd be weird if they called her onee-san.
Nov 29, 2011 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
StarryKite said:
Himari is only 1-2 years younger than them (or maybe actually the same age, since she's not related to them). Besides, doesn't "imouto" stand for any kind of sister, older and younger? It's simply a word with this meaning, but not a way to adress.

And onee-chan is acceptable for a younger one. It'd be weird if they called her onee-san.

Imouto (and Ototo) are only used for younger siblings, while as Onii-chan/san/sama (and Onee-chan/san/sama) are only used when addressing older siblings. When older siblings address younger ones, they usually call them by their names and may add chan or kun to it.

As for Masako, it was obvious when she went as far as kissing Kanba that she was romantically in love with him. Ikuhara also explored incest in Utena, though his approach in that series didn't indicate that he was pro-incest.
removed-userNov 29, 2011 10:54 AM
Nov 29, 2011 3:30 PM

Jan 2010
Another wonderful episode :) I think that the penguindrum will end up being fate in general, rather than a concrete object, just as the child broiler seems to exist only metaphorically.
Nov 29, 2011 5:23 PM

Apr 2009
Wow, I never really appreciated the music in this show until the end of this episode. Music was just...*gets shivers down spine*

Nov 30, 2011 6:58 AM

Mar 2008
YAAAAYY!!!! MORE PENGUINDRUM IN THIS EPISODE!!
Yes I'm totally sane and mean exactly this - we saw the SPINNING PENGUINDRUM itself again, two times in this episode.
Penguindrum in ep.20 #1

Penguindrum in ep.20 #2

Let me explain.
As I said earlier in episode 18's discussion thread, in my opinion invisible was not the best choice for the word 透明「toumei」, which means transparent, clean, pure. And episode 20 just proved it again. There's TOO MUCH going on about the need to clean this world. Back in episode 17 and episode 14 we've already seen one cleaning device:
Spinning Drum Washing Machine in ep.14

Pink washing machine in ep.17

And now we have another one - the garbage truck which gets rid of the trash. Still surprised it's also coloured in pink? Hehe... And do you know what happens to the trash afterwards? Yes... it's processed (crushed into pieces) and burned... as long as its burnable of course, but let's leave this flammable matter at that for now, because I'd like to deal with cleaning the trash topic first.

And that's how we come to the Penguindrum #2 mentioned above - that pinkish spinning device that crushes abandoned kids at the child broiler into pieces of broken glass, turning them into invisible entities, performing the cleaning, removing trash.
What a frozen world indeed. It's absolutely fantastic how Ikuhara connected the Invisible Entities, those transparent pieces of broken glass, with the snow of the Frozen World. See it for yourself:
Snow of the frozen world

Snow of the broken glass

What it means is that the meaning behind the term "Frozen" is being dead or rather being numb to the point of being unable to give something to the world. In other words "Frozen world" is the world that is only capable of taking. This actually brings me to one of the most important topics of this episode:

chase and run as give and take / kiss and fruition as unrequited love and mutual love
No, seriously, I think it's time to open a "Mawaru Penguindrum Vocabulary" thread to explain how all words used by Ikuhara are interchangable and connected to each other. Here's a quick guide I came up with while watching the episode. I hope it'll help you to understand the episode and the show in general. Especially the part where Sanetoshi talks to Himari. I put its "translation" under the spoiler further below.
But first, the keywords:
to chase - to give, share (one-sided)
to run - to take, accept (one-sided)
to kiss - to give love (in an unrequited manner, without anything in return, i.e. also one-sided give only)
fruit - love
to come into fruition - to turn into mutual love (two-sided feeling, implying both giving and taking)
become empty/consumed - become unneeded, i.e. turn to trash

Now remember the very beginning of the episode and Kenzan's complaints about this Frozen world only taking and not giving anything in return. Also remember that it's Kenzan who calls this "not giving" with "being unable to amount to anything", so:
don't give = take only = to not amount to anything = being unneeded = being trash/frozen

This leads to interesting conclusions:

to chase -> to give without getting anything in return -> becoming empty, consumed -> becoming unable to give anymore -> becoming unable to amount to anything -> turn to trash and get crushed into pieces

BUT

to run -> to take without giving anything back -> to not amount to anything -> turn to trash and get crushed into pieces

LOL, whether you chase or run it looks like you're inevitably turn to trash. And this is where Sanetoshi's "translated" conversation with Himari becomes really interesting. Just read it first (my occasional comments are in parenthesis):

So, let me stress the important lines again:
H: I'm just curious...
If the other side is only taking, should I just give?
Will that turn unrequited love to mutual love?
S: Sometimes it will.
This is what we see a few moments later in the Metro's Today's Slogan:
One man's trash is another man's treasure!
So there IS a difference between chasing and running. Because chasing (giving) at least have the possibility to get you something in return, while running will get you straight to the child broiler. And only if you're lucky enough someone will save you from that place. Tabuki and Himari were the lucky ones but in the end, even after they were saved, they only kept running.
What's the point for Sanetoshi to tell all that? I believe that he's actually speaking to the PoC/Momoka. He wants Momoka to see with her own eyes (through Himari and Mario) that sacrificing herself for the people, that saving them in 1995, that derailing the fate - that all of it was useless. In other words, he wants to prove her that the Christ's crucifixion didn't amount to anything, that no matter how much love Momoka gave to the world, the society, the world itself is still broken. So the only optimal way for this world - as Sanetoshi sees it - is destruction, the Judgement Day. The endtime is the destination of fate and that's where he's heading, together with the PingForce/KIGA group.
But Sanetoshi is mistaken. Himari is of course scared of giving and sharing love, but... she nevertheless DOES it, or rather, starts doing it. She did knit the sweaters for her brothers. She truly loves them. And this feeling IS mutual.

Come to think about it, there's one more word reference to "chasing" used in the show. And this word is Hunt, as mentioned by Masako in ep. 11 in her conversation with Kamba. When he called Masako a stalker, she replied that "this world's just a love hunting zone" and that she's a "love hunter". "True love that seeks naught return" - wih this sentence she claims she doesn't want anything in return. An even though we all know how much she wants the trashy Kamba to stop running away from her, she doesn't give up on him, she keeps stalking him, she keeps chasing him. Masako really is a giver in this sense, perhaps a rude and sometimes overly passionate one, but she's definitely the giver, just like Ringo and Momoka.
And seriously, it's amazing how rewatching the episode 11 made so much sense about what was going on. Masako knew Kamba's secret - she knew he met with Takakuras - and looks like she did her best to prevent this from leaking. And Kamba, leaving her residence with a Frozen penguin on a gurney - he merely felt useless, being unable to get the Diary from Masako and save his beloved Himari!

What's more... now I recall that the penguins originally arrived Frozen to the siblings, right? Then this is yet another "Frozen = Trash" reference!
And Fire... Fire is like the opposite of this Freezing Coldness. I guess Fire... This Warming Fire of the Goddess, the warmth of giving and receiving, warmth of mutual love, THE FRUIT IS the penguindrum. It is something that demolishes the frozen trash either this way or another. Be it Kenzan's way - Child Broiler crushing machine. Be it Momoka's way - Love of the people dear and important to you. In Kenzan's way, those who lost the ability to give love die. In Momoka's way - they obtain the Mutual Love, their love from and to society, their love from and to their parents, their love from and to their beloved ones.

Ah, screw you Takakura Kenzan... I know I shouldn't be writing something like this. After all, you might have had your own parents issues... but this is so wrong... you guys blame the world for being frozen, but your hearts are deeply frozen no less, you don't give the Love yourself. Instead of giving examples of proper behaviour to the world, instead of spreading Love like Momoka did, you decided to just crash everything into pieces and build a new society based on Chosen ones. And you call such a Judgement Day the Survival Strategy! Who gave you the right to judge? Have you ever considered that what trash is for you is a treasure for somebody else?! Why are only your own sons chosen and everyone else's not? Even Himari x Shouma wasn't convincing enough? Just why? You blame the world for being useless, because they prohibit taking care of kittens, but if not for your own son, you would've let Himari die just like million of other abandoned kids. Just how are the mass murders you've been organising supposed to help those unneeded children who you yourself treat as trash?
Really, the whole show is kinda like: Survival Strategy, what will it be - Love or Judgement Day? Momoka goes with Love, while Sanetoshi votes for the Judgement Day.
Somebody mentioned above that we might have an Evangelion's final... Given the episode is called "Survival Strategy", this might actually really happen...

Ah.. whatever... What else did I notice in this episode?
Last week I mentioned the Himari's scarf and questioned myself about its colours. My crazy idea was that Himari knitted that scarf herself, but I totally ignored her age... of course that would be impossible! And in this episode it became clear that the colours of that scarf referred to Shouma and Himari herself. It's another beatiful metaphor of the fate thread binding the two.

This makes me seriously question, what did PoC meant in episode 12 when she said to Ringo and Shouma that they lost the penguindrum and that if they want to break that fate binding they need to obtain the penguindrum and "stop those guys". I thought that PoC was referring to the Ringo x Shouma being bound by fate as she stated at the beginning of the conversation. But she might have actually referred to Himari x Shouma instead all along. "Obtain the penguidrum. If you wish to save you sister's life. If you wish to escape the fate that binds you. If you wish to derail it from its past. Find the penguindrum and..."

Talking more about colours, it's impossible not to mention the trashbins

Based on haircolour: Kamba - recyclable, Shouma - burnable, Himari - nonburnable. Yes, it's exactly the same order and assignment as the penguins appeared in episode #1.
What exactly does it mean? That's a good question. It's clear that all three are considered trash, i.e. they were abandoned by their parents at some point for being no longer able to amount to anything, at least from their parents perspective.
- Kamba became useless for unknown reasons for Natsumes', but he got recycled into Takakuras. He's now protecting Shouma and Himari. Besides he's also following the KIGA group. Notice how he's the only one to keep his conversation with Takakuras'. Unlike Kamba, Himari and Shouma are completely cut off from them.
- Himari, abandoned by her mom, chose to "run" but was nevertheless saved from burning by Shouma. Even though she loves her new family, her brothers, to the point of knitting sweaters for them, up till now she wasn't ready for chasing. So not recyclable like Kamba, but nonburnable. There's always somebody chasing her and willing to save her.
- And, finally, Shouma... no matter how you look at it, he ended up being abandoned by his family the most. He's cut off from his parents and it seems that from their point of view he is "useless" in both his attempts to save Himari and as a member of KIGA group. Kamba mostly cares for Himari, Himari's mostly running away. So Shouma... Shouma really is all alone. Hence burnable.
Well, actually there's Ringo who is supposed to support him. But her connection to Fire in the OP sequences... meh, being a strong Shouma x Ringo shipper it's really hard to accept that for now Ringo's Fire presence only makes burnable Shouma feel more lonely, feel the guilt of his parents, feel his uselessness. Or maybe I'm reading it all wrong... perhaps Ringo is simply the one who's able to lit the fire in Shouma's heart, to let him obtain the penguindrum, and to initiate the right Survival Strategy.

My my... there's still so much on my mind that I want to have posted... but I must make a break because my head starts hurting at this point. And this was probably my longest post ever.... for your own sake and sanity, I sincerely recommend to avoid so much writing and over-thinking xD
soulelleNov 30, 2011 7:10 AM
Nov 30, 2011 7:57 AM

Mar 2008
I not sure who is the genius here.... Ikuhara or soulelle?
PaninaManinaNov 30, 2011 8:18 AM
Nov 30, 2011 8:35 AM
Jul 2018
soulelle said:
Talking more about colours, it's impossible not to mention the trashbins

I think that the trashbins might be hinting at their fates in the end of the series.

Kanba's conversation with Masako in Ep 11 had raised the death flag over him; if he's the one that the boys from Ep 1 referred to (that he will die and be revived), then it makes sense why he's marked as recycable. As for Himari, she had already survived death twice and it won't make sense if she died in the end after all this drama, which might be why she's marked as non-flammable. As for Shouma, he might end up going up in flames after trying to save the world/his family/whatever; Ringo was also shown burning in the OP, which might hint at her and Shouma teaming up and casting the spell in the diary.

Of course, this is all speculation that could end up being proven wrong by the show :p
Nov 30, 2011 9:15 AM

Mar 2008
Raven_Shinobi said:
True that. And if Ikuhara still proves this wrong... I don't even know how to react... it's not like I want Shouma x Ringo to end up in Heavens... but the scenario you described definitely makes a huuuge loooot of sense...

PaninaManina,
haha, thanks, but you'll see, Ikuhara will prove me wrong xD I believe in sensei's trolling))))
anyway, to answer your questions:
PaninaManina said:
1. Just where did this 'spell' come from? Since it's existence is even beyond Sanetoshi himself, and there seems to be 'rules' governing their little game, just who is this 'higher being' governing the rules?
The spell, or the diary, came from the Goddess. I think the Diary is of course not JUST a bible. It definitely has more power than a simple book. I like to see it as the Ashes of the Goddess's flame. Remember how it flamed after the contact with the fake half? But this doesn't leave us further and explain how exactly it must be "activated" to produce the holy flame and change fate. It has something to do with the will to spread love and/or to sacrifice yourself for the sake of the beloved one. It must have to do something with love and fruition. But again this is nothing but a mere speculation.

PaninaManina said:
2. What is Sanetoshi's motive? I very much dislike the proposition that Sanetoshi is simply enjoying himself by manipulating people from the shadows. Although there is no doubt that he is, like the Hat Girl, a deity beyond human, he doesn't seem to be in complete control of things.
Sanetoshi is playing the game as he said himself. I posted above why he wants to derail the fate back on its track and convince Momoka (or rather the Goddess) that it's pointless to share her love to this frozen world without getting anything in return. But why? What makes him do that? As funny as that... I think Sanetoshi is a chaser... and to him... Momoka is a runner... He fell for her and he wants her back... but he's the only one who can't get the love from her... My inner feeling tells me that one of the show premises is to point that perhaps all evil comes from unrequited love and had God not cast Satan from Heavens and loved him instead, perhaps there would have been no evil...
Of course it's also just a crazy speculation... but if there's another couple apart from Shouma x Ringo I'm rooting for in the series, it's Sanetoshi x PoC/Momoka. I believe these two couples have the best chemistry and buildup in the whole show. Just looking at PoC and Sanetoshi glaring at each other at the end of OP2 makes me think - oh my! They just have to be together... hahaha xD or is it just me who was charmed by devil xDDD
Nov 30, 2011 9:26 AM

Feb 2009
I love SanetoshixHimari

This is such a tricky series, I can never predict what's going to happen.. At the moment I think the last few episodes move to the judgement day and that Himari will obtain the diary. (Himari will play a key role, I know it, but I'm not sure what's going to happen)
Nov 30, 2011 9:42 AM

Mar 2010
Penguin world is so fucking narrow minded and ignorant, it's disguisting. THEY THREW A BABY ANIMAL IN THE GARBAGE, WHATTHEFUCK. And EVERYONE knows about the Child Broiler but they refuse to do anything?! Just awful, positivly awful. I'm not sure if the author is trying to illustrate a point about the real world's fowlness, but just wow.

This story is sooooooooo much more different than how it started!! I don't know if I'm happy or saaad~D;

Orulyon said:
]Take that, those who said Shou was useless.

Hah~

Nov 30, 2011 11:07 AM

Nov 2009
Ep. 19+ love web MAKES ME CONFUSED! I liked it, but... where are these twists going and how are they going to connect.
Nov 30, 2011 11:34 AM

Mar 2008
Fishcaek-Chan said:
THEY THREW A BABY ANIMAL IN THE GARBAGE, WHATTHEFUCK.

Dude, this happens a lot.
Every time you type in caps lock, one kitten dies.

Here in Brazil, particularly, there is a bad habit of killing cats and dogs of others with rat poison, besides the natural human cruelty.
Nov 30, 2011 1:18 PM

Mar 2008
Need split out something that has bothered me.
Do you have any notion that our beloved series is the most hated of the year?

Since the first episode, every episode, people refuse to discuss as us and insist on regurgitate accusations of being "pseudo".
"Ridiculous," "absurd," "pretentious," "superficial," "empty," "hipster", "fagot," "nonsense "....

I agree with some of these accusations, but what bothers me is that the biggest problem seems to be I like "this much" of Mawaru Penguindrum.
"How can he prefer a more ambitious and original series than the other best of the year, as Madoka and Steins?"

As I said in a post for the blog I collabore - the other guy was so upset that he abandon the boat - , I agree with the translator of the GG, I think the same as he. Penguindrum is "too good to be" anime.
I've never seen an anime that besides having a content so cool, join it with a fantasy so interesting and tell us that story in a way so artistic, so innovative that even demanding that we tie him up the points, gives us all the necessary clues.
And here the problems begin.
Apart from most people do not have the patience to think about the series the same way that soulelle did here, and this is part of the fun, they just do not want. Thus they insist that the answers are not given.
If even in this point they insist that Penguindrum didn't answer anything, something that this topic proves the contrary, imagine what the reaction will not be the end? It is absolutely obvious that even though the script turn around real issues of fact, all this will be joined by the fantasy of Ikuhara. And for them, fantasy is just mockery, not answers.

If there are so many series that are just totally unrealistic and, what is the Penguindrum's crime for being in part fantasy? What logic these people expect from a penguin hat that leads to a dimension of electronic music?
I liked the real-world issues addressed, but stop there. I know very well that the rest will just be madness. These people don't understand that I do not expect anything more from this series and don't accept that I'm okay with that.

It sucks.
It would be so nice if everyone could stop being picky and have fun together.
It is rare to be able to follow a series of this caliber. I feel sorry for those who are losing this experience.

Fica o desabafo, falo mermo Qwerty e JohnMaster!

Back to the work.
PaninaManinaNov 30, 2011 1:26 PM
Nov 30, 2011 3:15 PM

Jun 2008
Fishcaek-Chan said:
Penguin world is so fucking narrow minded and ignorant, it's disguisting. THEY THREW A BABY ANIMAL IN THE GARBAGE, WHATTHEFUCK. And EVERYONE knows about the Child Broiler but they refuse to do anything?! Just awful, positivly awful. I'm not sure if the author is trying to illustrate a point about the real world's fowlness, but just wow.

This story is sooooooooo much more different than how it started!! I don't know if I'm happy or saaad~D;

Orulyon said:
Take that, those who said Shou was useless.

Hah~

i got shocked too, specially because im a pet lover and i contribute to animal organizations. Unfortunately it also happens in my country T_T Roads are filled with abandoned animals and most of them die hit by cars.

Well Ikuhara definitely surprised me so ill be heading to Utena sometime soon XD

LOL, yes my Shou will never be useless~~~It was so cute of him to chase after the kitty and then chase after Himari T_T

PaninaManina said:
Need split out something that has bothered me.
Do you have any notion that our beloved series is the most hated of the year?
"How can he prefer a more ambitious and original series than the other best of the year, as Madoka and Steins?"

Fica o desabafo, falo mermo Qwerty e JohnMaster!

Really?! i thought everyone was loving it. that´s quite surprising. Well but i guess its to be somehow expected. Most of times people hate what they dont understand. I actually like it better when i dont understand it right away, because it usually leads to an epic end, which makes sense. and i enjoy debating theories too.
Take the example of Touka Gettan, an anime that is deeply hated till nowadays because it aired backwards and had the most fucking confusing plot ever because it aired like that. Yet, to me i rated it a huge 9. Hell confusing? yes. But hell unique too and i love unique stuff XD

Also the most underrated series airing is Kimi to boku, which 90% of boys dropped it, labeling it as "gay". Ofc, if they kept watching they would have understand that its not gay and it has a straight love triangle, as well as heart warming moments. Not "boring" as many say.

oops, sorry for the rant. Bye XD

E desabafou muito bem XD

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Nov 30, 2011 4:32 PM

Sep 2010
I know it's most probably not right, but it still surprises me no one has suspected Sanetoshi? (Can't remember his name) to be the Penguin Hat(s). I mean, look at that round, turning thing in his room that seems to be made out of gears (I can't describe it well, lack of vocabulary).. Those red balls, don't they look like the red balls PoC took out of his chest?

Other than that, I'm enjoying this anime a lot, although it confuses me a whole lot. That's part of the fun. <3
Proud mama and papa of Misha Yuuki* (02-01-2014 - 22-01-2014)
Thank you for the wonderful twenty days you gave us. <3
One day we will meet again..
Nov 30, 2011 4:36 PM

Dec 2008
Not sure why but I felt Shouma wasn't a real sibling to Masako and Kanba... She said something like "why isn't that boy listening to the speech" in somewhat despicable way. Or was it just me, I wonder. She definitely treats Mario very differently though.
Nov 30, 2011 10:26 PM

Nov 2007
so the potential wincest isn't wincest. something is going to happen with the parents.

now we need a chart to map out who likes who.
Dec 1, 2011 11:18 PM

Jun 2011
Calm down, bro. The plot is a masterpiece, but the cast is a one, too. And love itself - family love, friends' love, romantic love - is also one of the main themes of this anime. There's nothing wrong with rooting for beloved couples, especially since we DO need that "chart to map out", since all the characters are in this or that way in love with each other.
Dec 3, 2011 7:57 AM

Mar 2008
http://twitpic.com/7npcoi/full

YUME NIKKI! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 3, 2011 1:18 PM

Feb 2010
that poor kitty :( so fucking wrong.

+ the child broiler is truly upsetting too.

such a powerful/sad episode.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 22, 2011

544 by FarCritical »»
Mar 29, 1:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.