Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 28, 2012 10:12 AM

Jun 2009
Wow.... Just wow. This episode is just... Wow.

It's heartbreaking watching Shouma holding Kanba and Himari together at the end. All they ever wanted is just to live in peace... yet... They do not deserve all these. All of this happen because of their parents.

They would've been such innocent teens, frying Takoyaki in a hospital for their sick sister, worrying about each other... etc etc...

The past 2 episode IMO, are the best episode of the series so far, you can literally call it "Takakura's Family in 2 episodes" Fate is playing a cruel game with them.

EDIT:

After finishing episode 17 and 18, I happily take it to my brother(He have been watching penguindrum as well). After he finish the 2 episodes. he scoffed.

"That's it?" "That's kinda boring" He said. When I ask why he found it boring, he just went. "It's so cliche, everything that's been shown, I've seen them in other shows."

I tried to argue a bit more. He just cut me off saying "You're probably ganna argue with me about the hidden meaning behind it and symbolic meaning of the episode and all that crap."

I'm stunned... Then again, he found Steins;Gate stupid, he hated Aria series... Heck, he found Clannad After Story boring and predictable because "He's seen that type of scene somewhere"... The show he found good and saved on his hard-drive are usually one dimensional ecchi and comedy shows... And he absolutely loved the current Hunter x hunter.

I don't think Penguindrum is his sort of anime. I don't think he can appreciate those kind of anime...

Sry about what I just wrote, but I seriously can't believe some people's taste can be... I donno
AirStylesJan 28, 2012 12:22 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 29, 2012 4:06 PM

Jul 2011
Great. ANother epsiode of parenting gone wrong.
aaaand I finally understand how Tabuki got those scars.

also, ringo has grown on me. <3
Jan 29, 2012 4:11 PM

Jul 2011
MusashiRose said:

Other than "war" anime, this is the first anime I have seen to approach it on such a personal level. I love that this show continues to push the envelope and show us how misguided people can be... and how genuine and self-sacrificing people TRULY make a difference.

same here
Apr 13, 2012 9:52 PM

Sep 2008
Kanba being the usual badass he is.
He never ceases to amaze me either.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2012 8:24 PM

Sep 2011
Wtf!? He put them through all that shit and then he just lets them off the hook!? I guess Kanba reminded him of Momoka, but still! Pretty good episode nonetheless, cant really complain. xD
May 1, 2012 8:55 AM
Aug 2007
Ok. I honestly don't see whats so good about this show. Seems so... slightly-above-average...

Why the heck is Yuri so obssessed with Momoka? As far as the flashbacks show, she only knew her for like, 2 or 3 days... where in their childhood did the THREE of them spend time running around by ponds and shit (as seen in ep17)?

Why is Tabuki obssessed as well? FFS you were like, 5 or 6 and knew her for a short while.. move on with your life already..

And also. How did Tabuki even save Himari?! She jumped out from that little basket thing right?HOW... just HOW THE HELL diid Tabuki save her?! How did he jump down from the building to save her, come back up, and then go down the elevator again?! WTF.

Why are there penguin logos EVERYWHERE. Is everything in the entire world owned by this single penguin company?!

What the hell exactly was this incident you keep talking about.. 18 episodes in and still nothing.

What does the diary even do? Is it that if you write something it will come true? Then why not just work together, join up both parts of the diary, write whatever the hell you wanna write and pass it on to the next person.
RaiteiMay 1, 2012 9:00 AM
Aug 17, 2012 9:52 PM
Jan 2010
With all the episodes that explain individual's characters' pasts, I usually become more sympathetic for the character especially with Yuri and Natsume's episodes, but this was definitely not one of them. I was indifferent towards Tabuki before, but now I know that he's just a terrible human being. I actually think the plots of Tabuki and Yuri wanting to take their vengeance out on the Takakuras is just poor writing and it's the first time the show's writers have disappointed me.

Further, if Tabuki is Shouma and Kanba's homeroom teacher why does he act like they haven't met and why does he only decide to do this now if he's already known them for so long. Also, why are Tabuki and Yuri treating the situation as if Momoka died no more than a year ago. It needs to have been at around 10 years more or less since Momoka died so why are the two acting like she died so recently. Missing your best friend from childhood and only choosing to act upon it now after years more of life experience? If the characters had been portrayed as a little older when Momoka died then I wouldn't have so much of a problem with this.
Oct 26, 2012 9:38 PM
Jan 2012
Tabuki, why can't I hate you? You poor guy :/
And it was nice to see Kanba being BAMF again, after so many episodes.

Also, Ringo was awesome in this episode. :3
Dec 6, 2012 6:28 PM

Jun 2009
I think I just now realized one of the themes of this show. It seems that the parents of each important character has somehow shaped their children's life in some way....in almost every case for the worst. I think it's a pretty interesting idea in that it shows that how a parent raises their child can possibly have adverse effects and that's the case here. In fact, the Takakura siblings seem to be the only family that is actually close here.

Absolutely love Kanba's dedication to his sister and I also like how Ringo reassured Shouma that she isn't like all the others looking to get "revenge" and judge them based on their parents misdeeds.

Oh, and it occurs to me that Raven_Shinobi is absolutely right when it comes to the comments about the parents. I absolutely love how much thought Ikuhara puts into his work, though it's kind of sad to see a few posters taking things a bit too literally here.

Also, the Child Broiler kind of reminded me of Instrumentality from Eva. Just a thought.
Ston3_FreeN7Dec 6, 2012 6:51 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 16, 2013 7:06 PM

Aug 2012
Well that sure was an adorable episode.
Mar 30, 2013 10:56 AM

Jul 2012
I'm really starting to like Ringo as a character now
Apr 1, 2013 1:51 PM

May 2012
Damn this was an intense episode! Great but really saddening backstory and what horrible actions that were taken for punishment...
We do know where he got all that money so quick but damn in the end she didn't get the medicine in time! What will happen to her now? The ED song was really fitting this time!

Good episode really good, lets see what happens next!
Apr 1, 2013 5:22 PM

Apr 2012
Watching how Tabuki and Yuri handle things is making me think about a different kind of notebook, if you catch my drift.
I like Hentai, you like real life.
Instead of complaining about my tastes, be grateful you now don't have to compete against me.
Apr 2, 2013 9:41 PM

Jan 2013
4.9/5
These episodes are so upsetting to watch.
Apr 3, 2013 4:35 PM

Jan 2010
god fucking dammit tabuki
Apr 9, 2013 11:28 PM

Sep 2011
She must be pretty strong to hold all of her weight with only 1 hand like nothing haha.
May 9, 2013 7:29 PM
Mar 2009
Fucked up parents everywhere. I have to wonder though..where was Tabuki abandoned? There's no way such a thing as a Child Broiler exists...

Holy shit, that was an intense episode. How did Tabuki save Himari at the last second though? Didn't look like he could have reached out to grab her, so...did he jump that gap, save her, and land all at once?

Seems like Yuri is pissed about something that Tabuki said. Maybe she does love him after all?
Jun 4, 2013 9:15 PM

Nov 2012
tabuki dafuq are you doing..?
okay thats a good point that you safe himari.. if himari is dead idk how my mood will be..

poor kanba his hand looking so hurt.. :(
Jul 8, 2013 8:36 AM

Apr 2009
When victims become villains. There sure is no shortage of terrible parents in this show. Not for the Takakura, Oginome, Torikago or Tabuki families. They all have at least one bad parent, and some are complete monsters. Rather annoying how Shouma was yet again unable to do anything, though. Meanwhile, Ringo's image is on her way to rehabilitation in my view. I really hated her early on, but my slowly changing opinion of her means this is good character development.
Aug 28, 2013 7:01 PM

Jun 2012
Man, even though I figured the whole time someone would save Himari, I still got dem feels when she was about to let go.

LadyOrihime said:
Tabuki was holding Himari as a hostage so that Kanba would tell him where their father (Kanba and Himari's) was.
Don't forget Shouma's father too. :O
Sep 20, 2013 5:26 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I get the sneaking suspicion that Natsumo is indeed Kanba's sister. Her words plus the fact that her father is also missing after all this time point to that.

Tatsuki regained his humanity by saving Himari. He's broken the vicious circle and can perhaps now move on?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 13, 2014 12:56 PM

Jul 2012
Ah dammit. Just when I thought it would get less depressing, it just goes to the opposite.

Good resolution.
Jan 18, 2014 7:39 PM

Oct 2013
Another great episode. This anime is getting better and better with each episode.

KiyuuSama said:
I'm really starting to like Ringo as a character now

Same. Didn't like her at first but she slowly developed to a good character after she realized that becoming the new Momoka is a retarded plan.
Jan 25, 2014 6:29 PM

Mar 2013
Was really hating Tatsuki these last two episodes and just saving Himari don't really make up for him being a bag of dicks.

Shit is getting intense the final stretch of this anime though for sure.
Feb 1, 2014 6:39 AM
Apr 2013
More and more depth in each episode. Loving it.
Mar 20, 2014 10:46 AM

Oct 2009
Loved it.
May 16, 2014 3:25 PM

Aug 2007
Very very good episode. For once not a second of fanservice or perverted shit. I'm glad they stayed serious throughout the whole ep. Tabuki's change of heart was unexpected but welcome and really touched the heart, as did Kanba's and Himari's sacrifice. I'm so happy about Ringo's growth throughout all this. She's become quite a sweet and selfless character.

Also, the penguins were so adorable and made me tear up with their humor.
olivesandwaxMay 16, 2014 3:29 PM
Aug 31, 2014 10:06 PM

Aug 2013
Fate, what did Sho-chan, Kan-chan and Himari do to you?! As if the suffering they experienced after their parents were branded as terrorists wasn't enough, Himari's being kept alive by some mysterious medicine which Kanba pays for doing God knows what. Now there are even more d-bags dishing out "punishments."
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 15, 2015 4:37 PM

Apr 2014
.......so everyone has family issues is basically the summary
Jul 24, 2015 12:41 PM

Mar 2014
Wow

I am really tempted to give this anime a 10/10
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 23, 2015 2:11 PM

Feb 2012
Did Yuri and Tabuki give up on resurrecting Momoka?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 14, 2016 7:02 AM

Apr 2014
I think parents can also symbolize the past and youth the future, which is hope no matter how fucked up the past. Thats what I get from the exploration of family, sins of the father etc
Apr 11, 2016 5:47 PM

Aug 2014
One of the best episodes of the whole series, Poor Himari I love this girl.
I felt the tension.
Excellent Episode.
Jan 10, 2017 1:58 PM

Sep 2016
Oh, I get it now. I'm pretty sure the hands in the ED are Kanba's.

So they do have a meaning.
Feb 14, 2017 10:44 AM

Jul 2014
Seems Tabuki now plays the bad guy taking himari hostage and Kanba is getting dirty money. Tabuki gave up too easily imo. Seems the natsume vs yuri duel was a draw?
Apr 26, 2017 5:04 PM

Mar 2012
i got mad at shouma. specially because i watched ep 19 by mistake before 17 and man, when i found out who he really is...
this is making even less sense every episode.
Nov 13, 2017 12:21 PM

Jan 2017
So Shouma as always arrives late oro doesn't do anything at all, kinda pisses me off his brother is the only one willing to pay any price.

On the other hand this episode was fantastic, i thought Momoko being a savior was more of a metaphor than a fact but whether with Yuri than with Tabuki she totally saved them and gave them a reason/place to live.

I really love the whole family concept being breakdown by Momoko.

And the pink haired guy is an ass, so he gave her permission and then punishes her!?

SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Dec 28, 2017 6:02 AM

Dec 2016
Didn't Tabuki said to Yuri that he doesn't want revenge in the last episode? Why he did all of that? Am I missing something or being dumb?
Feb 7, 2018 1:43 AM

Sep 2017
In the end, Shouma did nothing huh
Sep 16, 2018 7:36 AM

Oct 2017
This should've been a great eps, but apparently it fails. There are a lot of tonal clash and some pacing problem due to the nature of the direction.

I feel like the 2nd half drops in quality compared to the first half. The directing is just not as strong.

3.5/5 overall
Nov 14, 2018 11:30 PM

May 2015
The feels at the end were too strong T^T
The transition from Ringo talking to the episode title and then the depressing ed song really hit me. What an amazing episode.
Aug 12, 2019 12:59 AM

Aug 2017
Another great episode. The moment Tabuki saved Himari and Kamba felt like a deus ex machina, I can't figure how did they end up safe from their positions. It was probbaly intended to be a deus ex machina, because we see a red thread of fate and an angel with a horn, probably representing the change of fate or something like that. The red penguins were also interesting, their appearance coincides with the drastic change of lighting when the scene becomes pretty surreal. Is this the power of penguindrum, which is, I suppose, the power of love?

I didn't understand where did Tabuki get his scars from, though.
Aug 22, 2019 10:13 AM
Sep 2015
This episode was dumb af.
What happened to the duel between Yuri & Masako? Who won?

Also how did Tabuki catch Himari? We SAW her falling & Tabuki was UP THERE with Kanba & Ringo. This anime really makes no sense whatsoever
Feb 28, 2020 9:19 PM

May 2019
The only thing new that we learned in this episode:

The terrorist father (and mother, presum.) is missing, but not dead.

One nice thing is that the back stories of the secundary annoying characters: Yuri, Natsumi and Tabuki, are finished. Wish the 3 could die already and leave the kids to devenlop their own adventure, and not to be manipulated all the time by that 3 scumbags.

Oct 28, 2020 10:23 AM

Feb 2018
This episode was so depressing :(

Pretty much real life, most of us are made to be expendable/worthless and only really have interpersonal value, but even that can be lost also leaving one with nothingness.

Mar 23, 2021 8:10 AM

Feb 2012
The quality of writing really has taken a nosedive in the second half. First there was the stupid cliffhanger with Ringo being drugged and about to be assaulted... only to be saved in the next episode because magically Shouma happened to be in the next room. Even appealing to fate or Yuri's incomprehensible plan won't make that resolution good, the way it was presented.

And now we're seeing what is one of the greatest downfalls in stories: unbelievable character motivation. The same applies to both Yuri and Tabuki. Tomoko represents some kind of Christ figure to them. Sure, they both have a traumatic childhood. While I can't be absolutely sure that they wouldn't as children latch onto a hope of salvation in the form of their classmate, I think it's unlikely. What I am pretty sure about is that two adults functioning in the society, holding jobs etc, wouldn't still think that their disappeared classmate was such a perfect being that they'd still have to make their whole egos revolve around that one apparition of perfect goodness. Even if they're somewhat messed up, it just isn't believable for them both to have this obsession with Tomoko.
Jul 2, 2022 8:07 AM
Aug 2021
Cool intense, emotional moments, but confusing at times (not in a good way).
The music is continuing doing its fantastic job.
Jun 8, 2023 2:06 PM

Sep 2014
Thw only thing I want to say is "What?"

Because really where did all of this come from?

I have to agree with the consens here, the writing in the second cour kinda sucks.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 23, 12:57 PM

Jul 2016
"Return to the person who needs you."
"No one needs me."
"I'm talking about me."
Not to excuse the stunt Tabuki is pulled but damn, man. You can see how Momoka could've been his personal "savior of humankind".

Everything about the scene of Kanba taking his dad's punishment to save Himari was beautiful, but I love how the other penguins' way of giving his penguin first aid was to flip through several pages of his "favorite kind" of magazine right up to his face.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 22, 2011

544 by FarCritical »»
Mar 29, 1:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.