Forum Settings
Forums

Japanese Government To Sell Film Rights of Anime to Hollywood

New
Nov 2, 2011 10:01 PM

Feb 2008
According to Asahi Newspaper, Innovation Network Corporation of Japan (INCJ) has invested six billion yen ($77 million) in the establishment of a new company "All Nippon Entertainment Works". The company will acquire film rights of Japanese anime and toys and produce movies in Hollywood with producers in the US. INCJ plans to acquire ten film rights and an investment of three billion yen in the first three years.

INCJ is an investment corporation funded by Japanese government and Development Bank of Japan. The business of INCJ is supervised by Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

Source: Asahi.com
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 2, 2011 10:09 PM

Jul 2011
So we can be expecting some Anime Adaptations or, just films? Either way, hopefully they'll be of high-quality, but I have my doubts.
Nov 2, 2011 10:16 PM

Feb 2008
SwanSoup said:
So we can be expecting some Anime Adaptations or, just films? Either way, hopefully they'll be of high-quality, but I have my doubts.

It's not clearly stated in the article, but they are talking about live action films based on anime, I guess.
Nov 2, 2011 10:16 PM

May 2010
I don't care what they're trying to do for the Anime industry, it'll bring more bad than good...
Nov 2, 2011 10:17 PM
Dec 2010
sorry i'm having trouble understanding this. what exactly will this do?
Nov 2, 2011 10:19 PM

Feb 2009
Well, this seems like a disaster in the works!
Nov 2, 2011 10:23 PM

May 2010
Just the words "Hollywood" and "Anime" in the same sentence foretell misfortunes to come...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 2, 2011 10:26 PM

Feb 2009
despite all the negative comments I am very interested to see were this goes, and if it will even be more than a bunch of straight to DVD B-movies.
Nov 2, 2011 10:27 PM

Aug 2007
Confucius said:
Just the words "Hollywood" and "Anime" in the same sentence foretell misfortunes to come...
Nov 2, 2011 10:29 PM

Oct 2010
This probably won't end well.
Nov 2, 2011 10:43 PM
Jul 2018
Confucius said:

This is exactly how I feel.
Nov 2, 2011 10:44 PM

Oct 2007
Expect Bleach, Naruto and One Piece live action movies to be announced in 3...2...1....
Nov 2, 2011 10:45 PM

Dec 2010
So are they are planning on making new anime shows/films native to Americans? What?

Nov 2, 2011 10:48 PM

Apr 2011
I think this is actually a great idea. The more exposure to the world the more funding, the more good animes really...
Nov 2, 2011 10:48 PM

Oct 2007
Japanese Government To Sell Film Rights of Anime to Hollywood
Japanese Government To Gamble Taxpayers Money In Film Rights of Anime to Hollywood

Damn subsidies
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 2, 2011 10:49 PM

Jun 2009
wait what...?? O.o
Nov 2, 2011 10:54 PM

Apr 2009
I think they are trying to infiltrate the Western Industry that they will get the Rights to air all Japanese Movies in America. Meaning that every Animé & Movies will get to pass in their hands before they air it in America, instead of just selling the license to an American Company that will air it; they will be the ones to air it. Also it would increase the visibility of Animé merchandise on the market of America. That's what I think expanding the scope of Animé around the world.

dtshyk said:
The company will acquire film rights of Japanese anime and toys and produce movies in Hollywood with producers in the US. INCJ plans to acquire ten film rights and an investment of three billion yen in the first three years.

Nov 2, 2011 10:54 PM

Apr 2010
yea... dislike...

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Nov 2, 2011 10:55 PM

Sep 2008
Live Action School Days?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 2, 2011 11:09 PM

Apr 2010
giraffesyo said:
I think this is actually a great idea. The more exposure to the world the more funding, the more good animes really...

This. If they produce more live-action films based on anime (assuming they're not Dragonball Evolution) there will be more interest and hopefully more sales, which is a good thing.
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Nov 2, 2011 11:16 PM

May 2010
Salinga said:
giraffesyo said:

This. If they produce more live-action films based on anime (assuming they're not Dragonball Evolution) there will be more interest and hopefully more sales, which is a good thing.

Unless USA will make some derp movies that will totally miss the point of the original anime or change it very much so the average american will understand it. Either way I see it as bad thing since Hollywood can only make 2-3 good movies/year. The rest are summer blockbusters that have no real value thus being junk.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Nov 2, 2011 11:19 PM

Sep 2011
Well the words "Anime" and "Hollywood" already make me skeptical, like probably most other people.

But i'll rather just wait and see what this'll bring. It's too soon to be speculating on news that's quite brief. Who knows, this may, _somehow_ end up as a good thing.
Nov 2, 2011 11:21 PM

Jul 2009
I will support this. It will do more good and help the industry, so I don't see how people can say it won't and "they don't care what it will do for the industry" when nothing has even happened yet.
giraffesyo said:

I agree with this.
Nov 2, 2011 11:22 PM
Mar 2010
Edge12 said:
I think they are trying to infiltrate the Western Industry that they will get the Rights to air all Japanese Movies in America. Meaning that every Animé & Movies will get to pass in their hands before they air it in America, instead of just selling the license to an American Company that will air it; they will be the ones to air it. Also it would increase the visibility of Animé merchandise on the market of America. That's what I think expanding the scope of Animé around the world.

dtshyk said:
The company will acquire film rights of Japanese anime and toys and produce movies in Hollywood with producers in the US. INCJ plans to acquire ten film rights and an investment of three billion yen in the first three years.
That is pretty clearly not what is happening.

This is almost certainly bad news though.
Nov 3, 2011 12:59 AM

Mar 2009
this is not good,,
not at all
i hope they dont make it worse
i am going to be the i the one with the biggest manga pocket collgection

url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/enerjak&sclick=1][/url]
Nov 3, 2011 1:13 AM

Jan 2010
will see

its still to early for judging
Nov 3, 2011 1:55 AM
Mar 2011
Corsair857 said:
despite all the negative comments I am very interested to see were this goes, and if it will even be more than a bunch of straight to DVD B-movies.

V cinema or srtight to video stuff is alot of the time better than mainstream theatrical release movies most of takahashi miike works are v cinema
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 3, 2011 2:12 AM

Oct 2008
All I can see this ending up being is a bunch of crappy movies that should never have been brought into existence. I might be wrong though. We'll see.
Nov 3, 2011 2:18 AM

May 2011
dtshyk said:
"All Nippon Entertainment Works". The company will acquire film rights of Japanese anime and toys and produce movies in Hollywood with producers in the US.
This is an ominous statement.
"Giving one's name to someone about to die is meaningless." - Hiko Seijuurou
"There are no miracles in this world; there are only accidents, inevitabilities, and what you are going to do. That is it." - Himura Yuu
"A sword is a weapon. Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. No pretty words you say will change that." - Hiko Seijuurou
Nov 3, 2011 2:23 AM
Mar 2011
Seijurou said:
dtshyk said:
"All Nippon Entertainment Works". The company will acquire film rights of Japanese anime and toys and produce movies in Hollywood with producers in the US.
This is an ominous statement.

al long as thy keep stuff cannon thats fine
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Nov 3, 2011 2:23 AM

Jun 2010
well i can only hope for the best
Nov 3, 2011 2:30 AM

May 2011
HawthorneKitty said:
Live Action School Days?
LOL, after the fuss over Scream, which was edited over 8 times and was not allowed to have a school setting for the sequels? What about Sailor Moon and One Piece? Ishihara is easy-going when compared to the American folks.
"There are no miracles in this world; there are only accidents, inevitabilities, and what you are going to do. That is it." - Himura Yuu
"A sword is a weapon. Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. No pretty words you say will change that." - Hiko Seijuurou
Nov 3, 2011 2:34 AM
Mar 2011
i like to the lieceing of the live action Maison Ikkoku but barring that no other live action movie adatation of manga are vvry good old boy not withstanding of corse

Nov 3, 2011 2:38 AM

Nov 2007
oh great more badly adaptied anime i hope this american company bleeds its profits and goes bankrupt

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Nov 3, 2011 2:42 AM

Mar 2007
Geez, who cares. Hollywood churns out piles of utter shit every year, it doesn't matter if it's based or anime or not based on anime, Hollywood films don't register on my radar anyway.
Nov 3, 2011 2:44 AM

Sep 2008
cr4sian_phil said:
Expect Bleach, Naruto and One Piece live action movies to be announced in 3...2...1....

Followed by press releases from the creators saying how they had absolutely nothing to do with this

At best this could produce some good adaptations and introduce anime and manga stories to audiences who would normally avoid them. At worst it could be 2 or 3 Dragonball Evolution level movies (or worse, it really could be worse... probably involving Uwe Boll) and push off the concept of anime movies getting respect by another 10 years

Nov 3, 2011 2:46 AM

Sep 2010
Maybe they do this to get more people buying anime. For example, if they make an live action adaptation and it airs around the whole planet in theatres, that will lead to people wanting to see more of it and buying the anime or manga because of it. I think it's a very thoughtful strategy, and if they lower the prices of anime BD's and include subtitles in multiple languages, then there's maybe a way to make to anime industry more profitable. That's at least the way I would do it.
Nov 3, 2011 2:49 AM

Jul 2011
torgon02 said:
At best this could produce some good adaptations and introduce anime and manga stories to audiences who would normally avoid them. At worst it could be 2 or 3 Dragonball Evolution level
At best this could produce some good adaptations and introduce anime and manga stories to audiences who would normally avoid them. At worst it could be 2 or 3 Dragonball Evolution level movies (or worse, it really could be worse... probably involving Uwe Boll) and push off the concept of anime movies getting respect by another 10 years

god.. i hate that guy...
Nov 3, 2011 3:10 AM
Sep 2010
If this company goes bankrupt it means that the Japanese government is hurt remember. They do fund this company.
Nov 3, 2011 3:22 AM

May 2010
HawthorneKitty said:
Live Action School Days?

dear god i hope not D: might as well say live action master of martial hearts
*shudders*
Nov 3, 2011 3:38 AM

Feb 2010
Noooooooo!
it won't be called ANIME if that's the case.

(to the extreme lol)
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Nov 3, 2011 3:43 AM

Aug 2009
it stinks and sucks
Nov 3, 2011 3:50 AM
Dec 2007
Well, seeing as producers will be from US, and the whole thing will be done in Hollywood, I think we can expect a lot of bloody awesome movies in years to come! ^^

Unless they decide to do live action Green Green/B Gata H Kei or something. xD
Nov 3, 2011 3:59 AM

May 2011
Klabautermann said:
Well, seeing as producers will be from US, and the whole thing will be done in Hollywood, I think we can expect a lot of bloody awesome movies in years to come! ^^
I have three letters for you: D-B-E.
Nov 3, 2011 4:10 AM

Aug 2010
I'll give it a chance, as long as they stay away from any mecha, romance, ecchi, or harem anime.
matrixtrapNov 3, 2011 4:18 AM

Nov 3, 2011 4:25 AM
Aug 2009
I hope at least they don't make another "Dragonball: Evolution"
Nov 3, 2011 4:27 AM
Mar 2011
they should of staed aways from kamen rider or metal heros but saban did not and the us have made live action guyver and gundam movie

Nov 3, 2011 4:31 AM

Feb 2008
matrixtrap said:
I'll give it a chance, as long as they stay away from any mecha, romance, ecchi, or harem anime.

It's likely that ecchi and harem anime wouldn't remotely be considered because of,
1. While they're extremely popular amongst the otaku community of both Japan and and the online anime community, they wouldn't do remotely well with a larger audience.

And 2. Those type of anime work just as that, anime. As a film it'd be overly boring, making their lack of a real plot that much more present.

A romance however wouldn't be a bad idea, with series like Kare Kano to take into account. It'd do a good job of showing the artistic side of anime which this company would need to actually build an audience. If I was them I'd go to acclaimed creator's for original stories than just randomly turning an anime into a film. Line up people like Naoki Urasawa and Narita Ryohgo, and connect their former works with the film.

I'm sure nothing i said made a lick of sense considering I'm minutes away from going to sleep, and I don't feel like reading it over to correct errors.
Nov 3, 2011 4:37 AM
Nov 2011
it will never work well since it's rigged by government you know
Nov 3, 2011 4:37 AM
Jul 2011
i've got a really bad feeling about this.
i guess there will be no more good Animes.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

12 by _ATG_ »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 9 hours ago

7 by Yubisoft »»
5 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 4:09 PM

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Apr 24, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.