Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 29, 2011 11:32 PM
Jul 2011
bananasfoster said:

For one, I think the coffee Fumito gives her every day has blood in it. When she offered her coffee to her father he seemed reluctant and Fumito quickly chimed that her father drank different coffee than her. Also, her father seems to make sure she goes in each morning for coffee/breakfast. She also said the coffee always calms her down.

I had a similar idea about her coffee, though I suspect its some kind of drug (either to suppress her powers during the day or for mind control).

bananasfoster said:

The song she sings obviously means something, especially since at the end of ep 4 her teacher spoke the beginning lines to the song to her. If it wasn't important they wouldn't put it in each episode.

I think it might be something she's been "programed" to sing, like some sort of mantra meant to psychologically reinforce the control her father (and the others) have over her. Though that kind of sounds like a crazy theory now that I've typed it out. But It is suspicious that the teacher seems to know it even though she has no way of knowing about it.
BDeckerJul 29, 2011 11:43 PM
Jul 30, 2011 12:59 AM
May 2011
I can't yet bring myself to drop it seeing as I liked the last Blood show and movie but this is just awful. I'll give it one more episode..
Jul 30, 2011 1:07 AM

Jun 2011
DarthObsidian said:

I think it might be something she's been "programed" to sing, like some sort of mantra meant to psychologically reinforce the control her father (and the others) have over her. Though that kind of sounds like a crazy theory now that I've typed it out. But It is suspicious that the teacher seems to know it even though she has no way of knowing about it.

I was wondering about that, too, though wasn't sure how to explain it (like you said, it sounds like a crazy theory when typed out). But the fact that she just sings it seemingly without thinking makes it seem like something programmed into her.
Her whole day seems so structured that it does seem like her father, Fumiko and her teacher are in on it all. I wonder if it was really the old ones who killed her mother.
Jul 30, 2011 1:43 AM

Sep 2008
urghh!! the story progress is too slow! and too repetitive
but since it's made by CLAMP I'll still stick around to watch it

episode 4 have something new and I'm expecting that the story will progress in next episode
but the preview for next episode seems to indicate that it will be another disappointing episode

I don't think Saya has a mother, it's probably just made up
the flashback of a girl in uniform slaying those monsters could be her evil twin sister, Diva
his father isn't acting like a father too, maybe he's just an agent instructed to watch after Saya

>_<
Jul 30, 2011 4:36 AM

May 2010
Well at least they are going somewhere
Jul 30, 2011 8:09 AM

Mar 2009
I enjoyed this episode. Hope it gets even better in future episodes.

And this might be a fail theory but what about the teacher being the dog? The dog always seems to be around when Saya sings in the morning, like it was even behind her, watching her as she went to school this episode. That could explain her saying similar lines to Saya's song.

{{ TCO }} {{ ACP }} {{ TSC }} {{ LAC }}
Jul 30, 2011 10:51 AM

Jul 2011
I thought it was a good episode. I really loved the Saya x Tokizane moment! Was kind of hilarious and totally cute. I really want to know what's up with that dog though...... Can't wait for the next episode!
Jul 30, 2011 10:54 AM
Apr 2010
Like I said from day 1, Blood C, had it gone by another name, would've easily been considered one of the better anime shows this season. But the fact of the matter is the franchise Blood carries too much baggage in the form of expectations. Clamp is delivering to these expectations at their own pace and so people down-rate this show hard.
Jul 30, 2011 12:11 PM
Jul 2011
8 more episodes for this show to make a difference...
New to this...
Jul 30, 2011 12:13 PM
Jul 2018
Eww censors :(

foxnewsnetwork said:
Like I said from day 1, Blood C, had it gone by another name, would've easily been considered one of the better anime shows this season. But the fact of the matter is the franchise Blood carries too much baggage in the form of expectations. Clamp is delivering to these expectations at their own pace and so people down-rate this show hard.

This.
It really isnt anything amazing, but it is not as bad as people are saying.

It just has too much to live up to, and because of that, it is getting way to harshly criticized.
Jul 30, 2011 12:47 PM

Aug 2007
foxnewsnetwork said:

Such is the double-edged nature of being an entry into a pre-existing franchise. On one hand you get immediate attention and possible carry-over fans. On the other hand, comparisons are inevitable and flaws are frequently highlighted. Legitimate criticism can be leveled at Blood-C's execution but the same could be said of various titles this season. It really depends on what you like and how patient you are, I guess lol.
Jul 30, 2011 1:42 PM

Dec 2010
A *slight* improvement, stopped me from downgrading.

The covenant, uh... well, Saya's definitely not your common human, and the baddies realize that. They also have to eat. So it sounds to me like it's an agreement between the thingies (oh fuck it, I'm not gonna work my mind to memorize whatever they're calling the monsters-of-the-week) and Saya's race to let them feed on humans in exchange for... something. Probably not making a fuss and going balls out on the delicious humans. Of course, someone's not respecting the agreement...

(note: I know nothing about the franchise, so I may be stating something obvious here)
"Tonight, I sit in the eye of the storm. As fire boils around me, I press forward, winds and lightning lashing my wings. I am no match for what I face. Yet I will not back down, and though fear may place it's stranglehold on my heart, courage will see me through. With tears in my eyes, I hit full throttle. My engines become an inferno, and my weapons light up, awaiting my command.

If I die tonight, I will do so fighting for everything I believe in."

Jul 30, 2011 4:19 PM

Aug 2009
This show is so stupid xDDD

Half the show we are in the typical shoujo school life show and the other show Saya fights a random boss..

I just skipped the entire battle scene...

THERE IS LIKE NO PLOT!!!!

But anyway, I'd rather just focus on the romance between Saya and the guy( who is so hott)...

Jul 30, 2011 6:24 PM

May 2010
Actually you all are fucking crazy.

Blood+ is shit.

Blood-C is shit, but not as much shit as Blood+.

The two Saya's aren't related.

The end.

Oh and also, am I the only one who looks FORWARD to Nana Mizuki singing every week? Because she's amazing.
Jul 30, 2011 6:59 PM

Jul 2011
I'm going to ignore all those unnecessary comments and pretend we are actually discussing the episode. Which is what this thread is about technically.

Well, I thnk ep 4 was pretty good. It's getting more into the plot, and has me thinking about what all is going on!
Saya is awesome i think, even though she is clumsy she can become bad ass.
PS Saya and tokizane make an interesting couple.
Jul 30, 2011 8:19 PM

Sep 2010
okthxbaii said:

Blood+ is shit.

The end.

Oh and also, am I the only one who looks FORWARD to Nana Mizuki singing every week? Because she's amazing.

I had to watch Blood+ again after the first episode of Blood-C...if your defintion of shit is a plot that goes somewhere then yeah, Blood+ has a plot that goes somewhere.

Jul 30, 2011 9:10 PM

Jul 2009
And cue the mindfuck
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Jul 30, 2011 9:26 PM

May 2010
Anime_Name said:
okthxbaii said:

Blood+ is shit.

The end.

I had to watch Blood+ again after the first episode of Blood-C...if your defintion of shit is a plot that goes somewhere then yeah, Blood+ has a plot that goes somewhere.

A shitty plot that goes somewhere, but still retains shit, but sure. It has a plot.

Blood-C has Nana Mizuki. That's all that I care about. And those twins <3
Jul 31, 2011 2:05 AM

Jan 2010
okthxbaii said:

Yeah I love Saya singing its soo cute!!! I love Nana Mizuki though so thats probably why...

Sure the song can get repetitive but its still so cute so I like it lol! I dont get why people hate it so much lol!?!?

MoonxArtemis said:
I'm going to ignore all those unnecessary comments and pretend we are actually discussing the episode. Which is what this thread is about technically.

Yeah Im with you on this. Mindless bashing isn't good its childish BUT if your criticizing the show and stating evidence about why you dont like it is fine. What I think is that good criticism has to have evidence for it to be plausible. I already posted all my thoughts before though so Im not gonna ramble/waste my time re-typing them lol =P

Oh one thing I forgot to mention though is that I think its building up to something. Well atleast I hope it is! Thats why the first eps have been a little... Repetitive and slow? When stuff actually starts to unfold and a plot comes into play the show could improve alot!
Jul 31, 2011 3:25 AM

Oct 2010
I think it's like this:

-Saya is part vampire, but has no idea. She just thinks she's fighting some sort of demons her dad tells her to kill.

-The cafe guy is actually drugging her to keep her powers from awakening.

-The cafe guy is sending those monsters into town, and wants her not to awaken so they won't be defeated.

-Fighting the monsters awakens her anyway after she takes a beating, they die, life continues.

I've now stopped watching the series, but I'll be reading the later threads to see if any real developments happen. If so, I may consider watching it again.

Jul 31, 2011 4:38 AM

Sep 2010
okthxbaii said:
Anime_Name said:
okthxbaii said:

Blood+ is shit.

The end.

A shitty plot that goes somewhere, but still retains shit, but sure. It has a plot.

Blood-C has Nana Mizuki. That's all that I care about. And those twins <3

Plot > Nana Mizuki. Nana Mizuki is not enough to savalge a crappy anime; Dog Days, Toriko, Dragonaut, Rosario + vampire. All shit even though those shows were graced with the presence of Nana Mizuki.

People are guessing that a dog is a person...ugh. Yeah CLAMP needs to start answering questions instead of putting out more mysterious crap for this show.

Jul 31, 2011 6:34 AM

Aug 2008
People are actually arguing that this crap is better than Blood+? I don't think I can understand people any longer... sure Blood+ was too long, dragged in places but at least it had characters I gave a damn about, decent fight scenes and a actual story, two sides with goals in mind, not this monster of the week garbage killing random people.

At least this episode had a foreshadowing of an actual story with this mysterious covenant but I"m sure they will still drag it out and reveal nothing until there are only a couple of eps left. I suppose I'll keep watching though, hope that things improve from here.
Jul 31, 2011 7:31 AM
May 2010
Ignore this. I am talking to myself.

Saya's weird flashback reminds me of that incident in Hanoi. You know, the one where Saya from Blood+ went berserk (even though said flashback only showed a brief glimpse of blood and fire).

That other flashback thing in the train reminded me of the opening scene in Blood: The Last Vampire. The one where the other Saya killed the almost-chiropteran. Not to mention her (well, at least someone who dresses like her) actually making a brief cameo.

And Fumito, for some vague reason, reminds me of Solomon.

And, and, and, Tokizane is the Haji (which most of you must have realized already. I just wanted to point it out again.)
are-kusuJul 31, 2011 7:40 AM
Jul 31, 2011 8:14 AM

Jan 2009
I don't understand WHY you guys are forgetting that there is going to be a THEATRICAL MOVIE RELEASED IN 2012. 9 times out of 10 this means that the movie will be what wraps everything up in a nice little package.

pieceofshota said:
it improved. Still has that singing but she isn't smiling.

I don't know why, but that really made me LOL!

missdeep said:
LadyOrihime said:
I think you misunderstood what meant. I'm saying that the BTLV Saya could possibly be like Saya's mother, or grandmother.

They also showed the subway train scene, when Saya defeats the chiropteran on said train.

If BTLV isn't connected to this current story, it would have been pointless to add those in.

But these moments could also simply be a homage to earlier works without necessarily implying a stronger connection between the titles. I understand what you're saying, I simply feel it's too early to ascertain the exact intent behind the inclusion of these moments in the series.

Why, though? That's the question. And it if it's just paying homage to the earlier works, should we expect to see Blood+ Saya FB's? I doubt we would, because it would also be pointless, and Saya in Blood+ is a whole different character.

But the fact is, Saya is having visions of the other Saya fighting - that's why they are fuzzy, and that's why she is reacting to them. It's very plausible that memories are passed through blood in her species.

And it also goes back to what the mystery guy said: "Many say hatred fades over time, but that doesn't mean it truly goes away. It's still there. It's just hiding where you can't see it, and given the slightest chance, it will reassert itself." That, right there, sounds like the hate that the "Saya's" have towards the monsters they are fighting is passed on in blood, and that only a equally powerful emotion can overtake the hate, and that is the emotion of the resolve to protect.

Not to mention, Saya's father said that her mother did this job also...

It's also a different twist on what the "Blood" in the series stands for: That our selves are shaped by our ancestors; their genes...their blood that courses through our veins ^_^

EDIT: BTW, do you read Random Curiosity? If not, here is what Divine said on the matter:

Fumito on the other hand does all the narration in the show and talked about having to replacing hatred with an equally powerful emotion — such as the desire to protect people — suggesting he knows all about Saya’s true nature. I’m not entirely convinced that he’s as benevolent as he seems either. Assuming that Saya comes from a bloodline akin to the monsters she’s fighting, I can even picture him “nurturing” Saya for some personal cause. That suspicion comes partly from the belief that they didn’t get this seiyuu, Nojima Kenji, to do the narration for no apparent reason, and because there really isn’t anyone else to suspect anymore. Talking Furukimono are the next best thing, except they get killed all the same every episode.

On that note, it’s probably worth reading into the idea that the Furukimono see Saya as one of them and that her generally cheerful and innocent personality is concealing a deadly blood-feasting Saya underneath. All this talk about feeding and only attacking Saya if she intends to get in their way sounds more like something one would say to their own kind rather than what they perceive as food. Unfortunately, Saya is just as lost as we are, particularly by this contract — or “covenant” — to the “Shrovetide” that they speak of, which she only has some vague memories of. It’s almost like that was a Saya from a previous life, which may be used to loosely tie in Blood-C with the first film, Blood: The Last Vampire.

I also find that to be a plausible theory also.

captain67 said:
I think it's like this:

-Saya is part vampire, but has no idea. She just thinks she's fighting some sort of demons her dad tells her to kill.

-The cafe guy is actually drugging her to keep her powers from awakening.

-The cafe guy is sending those monsters into town, and wants her not to awaken so they won't be defeated.

-Fighting the monsters awakens her anyway after she takes a beating, they die, life continues.

I've now stopped watching the series, but I'll be reading the later threads to see if any real developments happen. If so, I may consider watching it again.

Honestly, you, and anyone else who has a problem with the slow pace of the story should just wait until the story is completely done around October 2012. I'm totally serious, because THAT is how long it's going to take before everything is fully-explained, and until the movie is released and someone posts spoilers or whatever, you are still going to be "WTF?" after the 12 episodes are done. By October 2012, the 12 episodes will be done, and the movie will hopefully be on-sale (and I say hopefully, because sometimes they take 6+ months to release a theatrical anime movie on DVD/BD after it's opening day, and we don't know when that opening day is yet)
LadyOrihimeJul 31, 2011 8:41 AM
Jul 31, 2011 9:45 AM

May 2010
IchigoParfait7 said:
okthxbaii said:

Yeah I love Saya singing its soo cute!!! I love Nana Mizuki though so thats probably why...

Sure the song can get repetitive but its still so cute so I like it lol! I dont get why people hate it so much lol!?!?

You sir know your stuff.

Also I am only watching this still because I have high hopes the movie will do an amazing retelling and blow us all away.

Fingers are still crossed, I can hope right?
Jul 31, 2011 10:26 AM

Jun 2009
^ With your name i'd just write empty post here, man.

Funny how shit anime is becoming even worse with lolcensoring. Also another lolfight. I liked Saya's song tho.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jul 31, 2011 10:55 AM

Aug 2009
Meh, I thought it episode was pretty good, way better than the crappy 2nd and 3rd episodes. I'm sure this show will improve in one way or another, but most of the viewers will be too brainless to actually conceive what's happening on-screen since they're too busy raging over 3 mediocre-pretty bad episodes.
Not every anime starts that well. And yes, Blood-C's start was a little bit too bumpy, but I'm sure it'll improve over time.

And if it doesn't, just ignore my post. ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
Jul 31, 2011 11:47 AM

Aug 2007
LadyOrihime said:
Why, though? That's the question. And it if it's just paying homage to the earlier works, should we expect to see Blood+ Saya FB's? I doubt we would, because it would also be pointless, and Saya in Blood+ is a whole different character.

Actually if the manga is anything to go by the next episode we should see a more distinctive vision of a unique past memory (after Tsutsutori tells her ghost story, which is essentially a chunk of at least a Saya's past).

I like your theory but given the intentional playing up of ambiguity in the anime, I've yet to fully subscribe to any theory about where the series is headed. Even if we were to consider this a continuation of the BTLV, it would only be one of several potential outcomes after the conclusion of the movie (Kamiyama himself stated that each of the follow-on BTLV works are "only one of many possibilities"). Blood-C as a sequel to BTLV would certainly be an interesting take on the world originally explored in the film, that's for sure.

LadyOrihime said:
That, right there, sounds like the hate that the "Saya's" have towards the monsters they are fighting is passed on in blood

Yet in BTLV it is not so much hate that consumes Otonashi Saya, it is the alienation she feels from both sides of her blood. She fights because she does not belong as a human or chiropteran, neither side accepts her so she carves out an existence as best she can given this internal conflict. Kamiyama noted in one of his interviews at around the time of the BTLV2000's publication that the chiropterans regard Saya suspiciously. It's not so much hate that runs between the species, but confusion and distrust perpetuating themselves in conflict. If hate is flowing through Kisaragi Saya's veins, I'd venture that it relates to an even broader set of events (the death of her mother, perhaps).

LadyOrihime said:
It's also a different twist on what the "Blood" in the series stands for: That our selves are shaped by our ancestors; their genes...their blood that courses through our veins ^_^

This isn't really a new twist on the franchise, the thematic idea of blood shaping destiny was introduced in BTLV. Saya's blood, her mixed blood, is key to everything that happens in the film. BTLV is an exploration of how being of "two bloods" shapes Saya's identity and purpose - whether she can, indeed, choose a path given her physical nature. Saya not only must consider where she stands between her Japanese and foreign blood (in a period of conflict), but also her human and inhuman blood. If one looks at Blood-C in a similar manner, with Kisaragi Saya undergoing an even more intense search for belonging and identity through conflict, it seems like a natural thematic progression rather than something wholly new.

Fumito is incredibly suspicious and I'm sure he's deeply rooted in whatever is going on with Saya. He's too niko-niko to be benevolent, I know your moves, CLAMP! :P

LadyOrihime said:
On that note, it’s probably worth reading into the idea that the Furukimono see Saya as one of them and that her generally cheerful and innocent personality is concealing a deadly blood-feasting Saya underneath. All this talk about feeding and only attacking Saya if she intends to get in their way sounds more like something one would say to their own kind rather than what they perceive as food.

This idea fits in with what I mentioned above about the chiropteran in BTLV being more suspicious of Otonashi Saya than actually harboring any clear animosity against her. The furukimono in Blood-C similarly appear to only want to engage Kisaragi Saya if they must, rather than, as you said, being hardwired to turn her into lunch.

With any luck the next episode should give us a few more hints with regard to the past (or at least Saya's apparent recollection of it). I wouldn't rule anything out with certainty at this stage, the production team have been deliberately coy about what constitutes Saya's reality and I'm sure they're headed somewhere with that.
computerheatJul 31, 2011 11:51 AM
Jul 31, 2011 1:09 PM

Jun 2009
I'm just disappointed with this show.
not even close to BLOOD+ or BLOOD : THE LAST VAMPIRE

okthxbaii said:

Blood+ is shit.

The end.

and I know for sure.
you're just fucking stupid fag!
IZUMI64Jul 31, 2011 1:50 PM
Jul 31, 2011 8:27 PM

Jun 2007
I love clamp and I love the Blood franchise but I hate this shit. Every episode it's the same thing:
1) Saya has breakfast and eats her little gomofo coffee treats which, call me bat shit crazy, looks like blood mixed with something else and they seem to get bigger each episode. This wouldn't be far fetched since the owner of the place keeps dropping hints that he's making shit specifically "for her". The last episode where he offered one to Saya's dad and the camera panned to his face as he paused and said no made it something was up with Saya's treats compared to the others.
2) Saya sings to school, comes late because of an animal, it's a perfect day again woooo lets all look at the sky!
3) The lunch scene which consists of romance jokes and how oblivious Saya is to guys who like her.
4) Lets all go home wooo! Wonder twins unite!
5) Epic battle that seems to happen every night at the same time for no apparent reason. Non of the towns people ever seem to survive.

Seriously this story is lacking. Hell even if it makes sense in the end it still wont change the fact that the whole beginning is HORRIBLE. So many hints are being dropped trying to explain things at the wrong possible times, which make it almost impossible for anyone not paying attention (which half of us apparently aren't) to notice. For example the teacher being linked to saya due to work not related to teaching and her basically flat out saying it to Saya, the coffee shop guy giving her special foods and coffees, hell even this episode when Saya noticed that no one is at the shrine that her father owns anymore and the countless other little things in each episode. Only painfully obvious things like the village being empty or the dog not being a real dog are being noticed.
Jul 31, 2011 8:28 PM

May 2010
IZUMI64 said:
I'm just disappointed with this show.
not even close to BLOOD+ or BLOOD : THE LAST VAMPIRE

okthxbaii said:

Blood+ is shit.

The end.

and I know for sure.
you're just fucking stupid fag!

Lol resulting to flaming are we?

I only posted that to see how many Blood+ fans I could piss off.

If I wanted to watch shitty vampires I could watch Twilight.

You have Gintama in your favorites.

Now I know I can't take your taste seriously.
Jul 31, 2011 9:31 PM

Sep 2007
Yeahhhh... going to drop this. Four episodes of the same routine. If they're going to "build up" to some huge climax, then they can easily do it in a more entertaining way instead of just having to watch Saya act like a completely dense idiot while singing and eating a bunch of pink cubes all the time and then suddenly get a 180 attitude change and slice up some monsters.
Aug 1, 2011 1:16 AM

May 2011
At least it's getting interesting.I think this show has a lot of mysteries.The 'light' that turns out to be a glowing katana, the creepy town, the covenant, the shrovetide etc. Not forgetting the possible BTLV reference and for some reason, the teacher and the cafe owner just scream red flags to me.

I'm REALLY happy that the fight scene took up more time in the episode than the slice of life.I think Tokizane was right saying you shouldn't love someone because of those dumb reasons, I hope he gets more screen time later on.By the way, what's up with that dog looking thing?!It totally climbed that tree without much effort!!!

Really hope this gets better soon!!!!

I’m just trying to be okay. Some days it’s harder than others. I hide away the most real parts of myself from everyone else. The emotions that I try to escape from. The constant pain I feel. The nightmares that keep me awake at night.

It hurts sometimes... knowing that the world is continuing happily all around me while I continue to drown in alcohol and slowly die inside myself.

Aug 1, 2011 2:01 AM

Sep 2010
okthxbaii said:

Lol resulting to flaming are we?
I only posted that to see how many Blood+ fans I could piss off.
If I wanted to watch shitty vampires I could watch Twilight.

Well since you admit to posting inflammatory remakes on purpose there is no reason to be surprised when your troll comments get flamed.

*waits for the next random anime insult that came from the most recent comments from /a/*

Aug 1, 2011 4:01 AM

Sep 2009
So far, so bad.

Each episode keeps getting worse. I'm gonna give it till the fifth episode, and after that I'll probably drop it. I was only interested in watching because I actually liked Blood+ and wanted to see if this one had any connection (perhaps sequel or something) to it.
Aug 1, 2011 7:13 AM
Aug 2011
I was not a big fan of the slice-of-life schoolday kind of stuff in the first few episodes of this series, but I'm starting to see what the show is trying to explain. It may seem like the schoolroom stuff is repetitious but this epidode she seems a bit more troubled. The song she sings every episode up till this point seemed genuinely happy and upbeat but in episode 4 she seems to be distracted. The feeling that there is something really very wrong is getting stronger and stronger.

There was also the narration toward the end of the episode about replacing hate with another equally strong emotion. Seems like pretty heavy foreshadowing of what is to come in the next episodes.

Anyhow, I don't quite understand all the hate for this show. Maybe people can't sit through a plot that is such a slow burn and takes a long time to get interesting. I had that problem at first too, but the amazing fight scenes each episode kept me going.
Aug 1, 2011 12:22 PM

Aug 2007
Finally an episode that's better than the previous episodes. Loved it how Saya fell on Tokizane and the fight was pretty cool, even though I was seriously hoping that Saya would actually be heavily wounded or something, but that never happens. Time to remember, Saya.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Aug 1, 2011 6:19 PM
Jan 2009
Why is Saya so weak. She's really been unimpressive thus far.

I was sure Tokizane was going to be her chevelier and pop up during one of these fights to help her out but nothing.

It seems like all of the other characters are just there and have no purpose to the show--kind of boring.

You could just forward to her fighting the moster and not miss anything.
Aug 2, 2011 6:31 AM

Dec 2008
I am the only one who likes this show WTF!!! XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 2, 2011 8:07 AM
Jul 2011
Personally, I found this episode to be much more productive than the previous ones. More questions then answers are still appearing, but at least it's focusing less on slice of life and more on plot. We can also see Saya's split personality starting to deteriorate between both her day and night lifes, which is promise for more plot. Example of this is her reaction to the "disappearance" of the cafe guy, and that her singing is starting to become more forced versus natural.

That being said, while we aren't officially getting anything answered, many of the questions provide subtle hints within them. We know that both cafe guy and saya's "father" are hiding something, but don't know what. There is a strong (almost definite) chance that Saya may be the very thing she is killing off, or at least something close to it. There is also the question of Saya's identity and what memories are being repressed. The narrator's talk to hatred makes me wonder if Saya once hated the monsters or the humans.

Regardless, the anime is still poor compared to Blood +, in my opinion, but it seems to be getting better very slowly. Also, anyone saw Mokona in her bento box?
Aug 2, 2011 9:04 AM

Aug 2008
Oosran said:
*rages wildly as Saya yet again sings her shitty song*
Please, stop it already.

OH YES, PLEASE!
MALoweenMansion! 2021:

main candy:

extra candy: 4x

Aug 2, 2011 11:49 AM
Jul 2011
ryuugami said:
Yumekichi and Myohou previously mentioned something about Saya from Blood: the Last Vampire being the mother or Saya from Blood-C

Well I went ahead and found the scenes from the movie that the flashbacks correspond to and they do appear to be uncannily similar.

I still feel kind of skeptical of the mother/daughter thing, but there is no doubt in my mind that the two Saya's are related somehow.

I agree. I seriously doubt that they are really mother and daughter, but I do believe that they are related. It's possible that they may be the same person, but then that flash back/memory jog wouldn't make sense since the viewer "sees" braided!Saya.
Aug 3, 2011 3:37 PM

Jan 2011
GoldenButterfly said:
ryuugami said:
Yumekichi and Myohou previously mentioned something about Saya from Blood: the Last Vampire being the mother or Saya from Blood-C

Well I went ahead and found the scenes from the movie that the flashbacks correspond to and they do appear to be uncannily similar.

I still feel kind of skeptical of the mother/daughter thing, but there is no doubt in my mind that the two Saya's are related somehow.

I agree. I seriously doubt that they are really mother and daughter, but I do believe that they are related. It's possible that they may be the same person, but then that flash back/memory jog wouldn't make sense since the viewer "sees" braided!Saya.

I am pretty sure they are the same person...

BTW, anyone noticed that Saya is starting to get more into touch with her monster self (starts to understand the monsters' voice, getting flashbacks etc) the more the cafe guy feeds her with those weird sweets and coffees? (which further reinforces the theory that they have blood in them)

Now, what if the plot follows a similar course as nin Blood+ (ie Shaya falls asleep for years and awakes with amnesia, in the house of someone to whom she was given to supervise... and starts to regain her memories and her vampire self as she feeds on blood...)
Sounds somewhat similar to what we're watching now, right???

PS. I hope they do get on with the damn plot already... if by the 5th out of 12 episodes the series still moves at the pace it's been moving atm... then it's somewhat safe to say that it will be a big fail... :(
Aug 3, 2011 8:48 PM

Oct 2010
Pan151 said:
GoldenButterfly said:
ryuugami said:

I am pretty sure they are the same person...

They could be or it could be Saya's mother but one thing that is importnat is that it has a meaning to Saya meaning that her memories are sealed as to not remember all that she can since it would be bad for her mental state.
Pan151 said:
BTW, anyone noticed that Saya is starting to get more into touch with her monster self (starts to understand the monsters' voice, getting flashbacks etc) the more the cafe guy feeds her with those weird sweets and coffees? (which further reinforces the theory that they have blood in them)
They do have blood in them but I think it's the monsters who are starting to know her and who she is. Fulfilling a convent is big.

Also found out this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrovetide
it's the thing the monster mentions. A interesting reading IMO.
Pan151 said:
Now, what if the plot follows a similar course as nin Blood+ (ie Shaya falls asleep for years and awakes with amnesia, in the house of someone to whom she was given to supervise... and starts to regain her memories and her vampire self as she feeds on blood...)
Sounds somewhat similar to what we're watching now, right???
It already did with the awakening in the Shrine and going normally to school.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Aug 5, 2011 1:28 PM

Nov 2007
Damn. I feel like I'm the only one who's rather liking this series.
It's steadily improving with every episode and I'm intrigued just enough to keep watching.

Even if it truly does end up in utter fail, it'd still be better than 90% of the ecchi/loli that clogs up every season.
Aug 6, 2011 10:32 AM

Apr 2010
for me, this is indeed a crappy anime..

this is ep. 4 we are talking and up until now it pisses me off.

the arrangement of events are not just episodic but also irritating..not to mention it is still confusing..!!

>.<
Aug 6, 2011 3:59 PM

Jul 2008
I actually really liked this episode...

There were some annoying things in the first half, but I thought the fight scene was amazing. And it sounds like there will be a lot more to this show than meets the eye. It could still end up being disappointing, but I am going to hold out hope it will improve.

I wonder how Saya takes care of the bodies of the monsters?
Sep 9, 2011 9:10 PM

Apr 2011
D: that was some hardcore censoring there, one of them took more than half of the screen!

Hmm I wonder what were the meaning of those "Blood: The Last Vampire" flashbacks.
Apologies, I just can't avoid to rant.
Sep 9, 2011 9:13 PM

Apr 2011
GarLogan78 said:
I wonder how Saya takes care of the bodies of the monsters?

Haha I wonder that too, I also wonder why she has to use the school uniform for battling and how many of them she has.
Apologies, I just can't avoid to rant.
Sep 22, 2011 10:31 AM

Jan 2009
Normally any good story requires five key elements
character
desire
conflict
change
precise and focused writing

someone looking for where to start, this is a great place to begin. Let's get moving by breaking down the first element in some detail.
Character

An interesting character is what will make your reader care. Pretty obvious, I know. But creating one requires more than just coming up with some cool idea like "I'll make her like my Aunt Hilda used to be" or "He can be like the man in the wheelchair that talks to me at the bar." That's a good place to begin, but that's not quite good enough to count as a "character."

The thing about a short story is that, well, it's short. Which means, you don't have time for any wasted words. So, your character is going to have "pop" right out of the gate. To do that, you need to focus down on exactly what trait it is about your Aunt Hilda or the man in the wheelchair that makes them "pop" for you.

What is it exactly about them that stands out? What is the crucial detail that makes them so interesting to you? The thing that defines them. Perhaps Aunt Hilda chews Red Man tobacco, or maybe the wheelchair man always sings his orders when he buys a drink. Is it Aunt Hilda's size and football player pushiness that sets her apart? Does the wheelchair man always cry when he talks about his dog?

You'll notice I'm not talking about eye color or the fact that the wheelchair man lost his legs in a tractor accident. What you're looking for is the BEST details, the INTERESTING details about this person, the thing that makes them "characters" rather than just some other human being.

Finding this critical detail or element will require a lot of thought, but when you find the right detail, you will know. It will feel right. Once you find that detail (or two), BLOW IT UP! That's right; you're writing a story here, exaggeration is your friend. You can't just say that Aunt Hilda is pushy and chews Red Man. You have to have her knock three women over at the supermarket and spit a dark stain on the younger one's clean white skirt. Or maybe she punches a trucker in the eye. Now come on, that's a character people are going to want to read. So, find a trait, the right one, and blow it up.
Desire

Once you have a good character lined up, you need to decide what it is that person wants; what is their motivating desire. It doesn't have to be something huge either, there's some amazing short stories out there with characters who want no more than to drink a glass of milk, or who just want to have a piece of lemon cake.

But no matter what, you need to know what it is that matters most to your character. And, not only do you need to establish this, there has to be something at stake for them if they can't get whatever it is they want (in the example of the milk drinker, the little boy would be beaten if he spilled).

We can run with the Aunt Hilda idea since we kind of have her started now. What does a truck-driver punching, tobacco chewing woman really want? Maybe she wants respect? Maybe she wishes she were a man. Perhaps she really wants to be thought of as ladylike. Hey, there's a fun idea, what if that's what Hilda wants, just to be seen as a woman for once, seen as feminine?

So there you go, now you know what motivates your character. A desire. But what's at stake? If Hilda can't be seen as a woman, what's the cost to her?

Well, maybe she'll never get the man she secretly loves. Aha, perhaps we've stumbled on the REAL desire of our dear old Aunt Hilda.

I think you see how this works.
Conflict

Ok, so now we have a cool character with a desire. So how do we get a story going? Well, the best way to do that is to put our cool character into a situation and just see how it turns out. The key here is to make your character make decisions and, well, let them go horribly wrong. It seems cruel, but remember, you're writing a story. Nobody wants to read about Aunt Hilda who made all the right choices and ended up with her beloved Charlie Cooper in the end. How boring is that? So, let them make mistakes and deal with the consequence. That's what stories are about.

Alright, since we're talking short story here (emphasis for now on the "short") we want to get that going right away. So, start right in. Don't mess around with long-winded back stories and a lot of set up, blah-blah going on. Just jump right in. Seriously, like, right into the middle of the story.

Here's an example for our Aunt Hilda story... a possible first few lines:

Walleyed Tom Porter with the scar from Vietnam had poor Charlie pinned against the wall, kind of crammed into the corner and wriggling so much he made the juke box skip. Aunt Hilda gasped when she seen it and stood up, fat fingers balling into a fist. "You put him down this instant, Tommy Porter, or I'll make meat pie out of you," she said. Then Aunt Hilda strode right up to Tommy and spat brown tobacco juice on his shoe. "Put him down," she said again. And you know what? Old Tommy Porter did.

Ok, I'm obviously not going to win any awards with that, but I think you can see the point. Right out of the gate we've got our story underway. We're working in some character details through the action (which we'll cover later in more detail), we've got the object of her desire (Charlie) and we've created the beginnings of "conflict." Not the bar fight mind you, that's not the conflict that I mean. The conflict is where Charlie is going to have a hard time seeing Hilda as feminine after she just saved his butt in that bar fight. Remember, that's what Hilda's desire really is and Hilda's choice of walking over there and confronting Tommy undermines her real desire. See how fun that is?

Now you have a nice story underway, and poor Aunt Hilda has a lot of work to do. Charlie's ego, her brutishness, there's lots of stuff in her way, lots of conflict. She's got a lot of work to do if she's ever going to get Charlie to see her girlish side.

Anyway, starting out in the midst of the story gets the readers involved immediately and saves them having to slog through a bunch of back story which, frankly, they just don't care about. You should know that back stuff yourself, in fact you should write out whole back histories for your characters so that YOU get to know them well. But your reader just doesn't give a crap. Leave it out.
Change

Change is the metamorphosis, the realization or the epiphany. Change comes gradually as the story carefully unfolds, but it has to happen by the end. Nobody wants to read a story about Aunt Hilda who is a big brute and who lives through another day and goes to bed a big brute again. Something has to change.

Now, I'm not telling you what has to change. It's your story. It might be in your story, Aunt Hilda ultimately fails to win Charlie over in the end. Maybe she tried several things and all of them fail. But there is still change for her if the story is written well. Maybe she realizes after all her trials that she just isn't feminine. Your story could end with her finally recognizing she has no hope at all. She started out with hope, remember? But now she has given up. That's change. (Maybe not the best way to go, but it's change.) Maybe she just realizes she doesn't need to be justified by a man. Who knows? It's your story, you figure it out (write enough versions of your stories and eventually you will).

The change doesn't even have to be with her, it can be with the reader or the narrator. You'll notice our little example from back up there has a rather "folksy" feel (with all the "kind of" and "seen it" stuff going on). Change doesn't have to be the character's; it can be in the way others see Aunt Hilda instead. We start out seeing her as tough and big and kind of gross, but perhaps by the end we see how she acted out of love, how through the course of several scenes you might write her in more motherly ways, and this can be reflected by the way the folksy sounding narrator is treating her moving toward the end, gradually transforming the descriptions from the brutish things about her to the feminine details (discussed in more detail below). That narrator, and we, the reader, see her differently by the end. Always tough and maybe a little crude, but so willing to sacrifice herself, willing to give anything for someone else. That could be the irony of her plight, so big and strong and confident that at first people never realized just how sweet and vulnerable she is. Not until you showed them with your carefully written tale.

The bottom line is, by the end of the story, the reader needs to have seen or undergone some sort of transformation: Hilda changes, the narrator changes, or the reader's opinion changes. If not, then you didn't write a story, you just wrote a little "slice of life," sort of "a few hours in the day of so-and-so." If you have really amazing style, you might be able to pull that off, but if not, well, slice of life stuff is just... yawn ... not that fun to read.
Precise, sensually focused style

Alright, by "precise" I don't mean as if there is a "right" answer or a "wrong." And by "sensual" I don't mean that you are going to write erotic porn. When I say "precise" I mean, you're going to focus on the important details surrounding the events, like a camera shooting only the things that matter in the scene. Again, it's a SHORT story, almost like a poem, so you don't have room to waste. While a lot of this particular aspect will be improved when you revise, I want to be sure to point it out. Trim away the fat and keep the story pointed at the things that matter and that move the story along.

And, that said, when I use the word "sensually" I invoke the idea of "senses" not of sex. All of them. Not just eyes. Make the world alive, which includes sight and sound and smell and touch and taste. Remember them all. I'm not saying cram random details in willy-nilly, but, remember there is more to life than what we see. "The smell of Red Man tobacco assaulted him as she leaned into his face." Or maybe "Old Hank Williams seemed to stutter when Charlie bounced off that juke box like he did."

The important thing is that you write to the senses. Don't spend all your time in some damn character's head. I'm not saying never go there, but a lot of times writers will start out a good visceral scene and then go into the thoughts to reflect and put the story suddenly to sleep. Frequently it gets stuck there. For example:

As soon as Tommy set Charlie down, Aunt Hilda began to panic. What if I've turned him off, she thought. Oh, he's never going to think I'm ladylike now. I'm so hopeless, what ever should I do? Maybe I should run. He's never going to love me now. I just know I've ruined everything. Me and my big old, stupid body. I deserve to be alone.

Now, whether you think that is ok or not, I promise you, it's terrible. Nobody wants to read that. It's crap, so don't write it. You can't tell people what she thinks, and you can't tell them how she feels. Doing that is cheap and easy and it's bad writing. Hit yourself in the head with a rolled-up newspaper if you catch yourself doing that. Say, "Bad writer, Bad!" and mash your face into the screen. Then start that part over again.

You have to show them. Have Hilda's eyes pop open wide, have her and Charlie stare at one another. Charlie's face goes red, his eyes dart around seeking an escape. He can be heard sobbing through the blinking gap in the spring-loaded bathroom door. Something... have Hilda throw up. Have Charlie throw up. Something. Just, SHOW it, don't tell it from inside that woman's head!

What this series lacks is a good writer. The art is good, the music fitting, but the reasoning behind everything makes no sense. The main character must have a mental disorder to watch people die each night then go to school as cheery as ever the next day. There is no real motivation behinds her actions besides he fathers own push of her will. And it seems more like an Oedipus complex then anything else. In the beginning it seems like she goes out on one of her first hunts but it never tells you how long she prepared. If she was trained since a child I would assume a more somber attitude and almost expect her to refer to herself in the term of boku rather then atashi. It's not horrible, if certain things happened the story could go in a wonderfully twisted direction but i get the feeling this is more of just a half baked attempt finished in a rush and not well thought out....

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blood-C Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 18, 2011

190 by Karva1 »»
Feb 16, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Blood-C Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jul 14, 2011

156 by Karva1 »»
Feb 16, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Blood-C Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Jul 1, 2011

240 by Karva1 »»
Feb 15, 6:57 PM

Poll: » Blood-C Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jul 21, 2011

171 by Beatnik »»
Jan 16, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Blood-C Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ImNotLulexiaa - Sep 1, 2011

131 by dragynfaerie »»
Nov 30, 2023 2:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.