Forum Settings
Forums

Studio Ghibli Hangs an Anti-Nuclear Power Banner on Their Studio

New
Jun 17, 2011 4:24 AM

Feb 2008
According to Cinema Today, Studio Ghibli displayed a banner which says "Studio Ghibli wants to create films without electricity generated by nuclear power plants." on the roof of the main studio in Tokyo. Studio Ghibli said "The banner was proposed by Miyazaki Hayao. We don't have any offensive intentions in the banner. Details of our thoughts will be announced in the monthly magazine Neppu in August."

Picture of the banner

Right or wrong of nuclear power has been a worldwide controversy since the serious failure of Fukushima Nuclear Power Plants.

Source: Cinema Today
dtshykJun 17, 2011 4:30 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 17, 2011 4:25 AM

Mar 2009
Decent banner.
Jun 17, 2011 4:26 AM

Jan 2011
Being pro nuclear, I wonder why...

They must hate the french or something.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Jun 17, 2011 4:29 AM

Dec 2010
Electricity is often generated with high coal usage so I don't really see any one good side.

And lol more promoting environmentalism. It's already slabbered over all their movies.
Jun 17, 2011 4:33 AM

Jan 2010
notsureifsrs said:
Electricity is often generated with high coal usage so I don't really see any one good side.

Well i say thats is 2nd worst way to generate electricity , for my opinion , and it will more expensive than Nuclear power .

I think there is no chance for Japan if they stop using nuclear power plants
Jun 17, 2011 5:13 AM

Jan 2010
Studio Ghibli also says 'We will produce our own energy from love, happiness and cookies!'

Look, after huge earthquake everything was alright. After tsunami something went wrong and one or two (i don't remember correctly) reactors were in critical state. I would be more scared of North Korea nuclear attacks than this.
Ghibli, I am dissapoint
Jun 17, 2011 5:20 AM
Dec 2007
Just as expected of Miyazaki-sensei. ^^
Jun 17, 2011 5:22 AM

Jun 2009
I should kinda agree with them on that, the world should use more hydroelectricity and wind power.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jun 17, 2011 5:23 AM

Jan 2008
You can't blame them.

And I would think that there are some "green ennergy companies" in Japan too, from where you can get solar or wind based elecricity.

Greetings from (shortly nuclear free) germany. :)
Jun 17, 2011 5:24 AM

Aug 2008
They've been relying on nuclear power since forever so why the sudden change of heart?
Other electrical generators would cause negative effects too.
Jun 17, 2011 5:28 AM

Mar 2008
I love Ghibli, but I don't understand it. Nuclear power is ubiquitous. We'll have to see what they talk about in the article.
Jun 17, 2011 5:53 AM

Sep 2009
Okay Miyazaki, we get it.
Jun 17, 2011 6:01 AM

May 2010
Really? Nuclear power is wrong? What happened to "no fossil fuels" crowd?
ConfuciusJun 17, 2011 6:05 AM
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 17, 2011 6:03 AM

Aug 2010
It's understandable that a number of Japanese have negetive feelings about nuclear power. Since the earthquake destroyed one and caused alot of damage, of course some want to get rid of it.
Jun 17, 2011 6:15 AM

Nov 2008
cool banner
Jun 17, 2011 6:24 AM

Nov 2008
Well, Ghibli has always been pro-environmental, so when a major environmental crisis happens in their home country, it really isn't much of a surprise that they are campaigning against the cause of said crisis.

Maziu said:
Studio Ghibli also says 'We will produce our own energy from love, happiness and cookies!'

Look, after huge earthquake everything was alright. After tsunami something went wrong and one or two (i don't remember correctly) reactors were in critical state. I would be more scared of North Korea nuclear attacks than this.
Ghibli, I am dissapoint
At least it makes more sense than GERMANY (a physically much larger country which is land-locked on three sides and very rarely has earthquakes at all, let alone magnitude 9 quakes) banning nuclear power BECAUSE of the Fukushima crisis (which was caused by a tsunami, of course). I'm not talking about the love, happiness and cookies part (lol), but the anti-nuclear stance in general when I say that.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Jun 17, 2011 6:33 AM
Oct 2009
Very good idea. I give them a lot of credit.
Jun 17, 2011 6:45 AM
Jul 2018
Oh, Miyazaki, you so crazy.

dtshyk said:
Right or wrong of nuclear power has been a worldwide controversy since the serious failure of Fukushima Nuclear Power Plants.

I seem to recall reading a few short articles about another nuclear incident a few years back...
Jun 17, 2011 6:55 AM

Mar 2011
Kinda cute banner, not really noticeable I think.nI prefer nuclear power though, solar power, and wind power are nice too.
I hate you all.
Jun 17, 2011 7:15 AM

Jun 2010
Ok banner......
Jun 17, 2011 7:21 AM

Aug 2008
Zmffkskem said:
They must hate the french or something.
Everyone does.
Jun 17, 2011 7:30 AM

Mar 2008
Yes yes, not bad...but a clean nuclear alternative will most likely be solar. And that solar will lead to a huge orbital solar panel that would be fought for between nations...

(And a century later we have gundams flying here and there)

心に宿る魂の声が聞こえる...
Jun 17, 2011 7:37 AM
Mar 2010
OrochiPL said:
I should kinda agree with them on that, the world should use more hydroelectricity and wind power.
I wish i lived in your world, where those actually generated decent amounts of power.
Jun 17, 2011 7:55 AM

Oct 2009
Nice banner...i agree and disagree, both. O.o
Jun 17, 2011 8:07 AM

Apr 2010
so whose up for solar energy farms? if scientist actualy cared about the planet im sure theyd have them by now...

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Jun 17, 2011 8:11 AM
Mar 2011
Ghibli showed them what they're made of. *hero pose*
Jun 17, 2011 8:20 AM

Mar 2010
It would be better if he would make a movie about this. Because i'd appreciate any movie from him :)
But if the arrow is straight
And the point is slick
It can pierce through dust
No matter how thick...
Jun 17, 2011 8:29 AM
Nov 2010
With all due respect to Miyazaki, whose works I love, that's just foolish. In a matter that involves the energy suply of great parts of a country this kind of idealism is unreal, useless and hamrful.
Is Ghibli going to give the resources it takes to change all the infrastructure that a change to "green" energy requires? Will their complains and banners compensate the efficiency of the nuclear plant?
A change may be necessary, but just saying "I don't like this, don't like, don't like" doesn't solves anything at all. In fact, it gets things worse. I remember to have read in BBC that a few days after the earthquake the humanitarian disaster was diminished by all the atention to the fukushima incident (at least when it came to international news).
Jun 17, 2011 8:31 AM

May 2010
Ghibli's work .
Jun 17, 2011 8:46 AM

Jun 2009
Neverarine said:
so whose up for solar energy farms? if scientist actualy cared about the planet im sure theyd have them by now...

canada has them.

BUt regtuflly his is now powersorse that can creator the powerneed for all of jpan that wouldn't take up so such land it's not reasonable , cause wind is great but it would take too many of them to be reasonable. It would be great if we didn't have to use fossil fuels or nukeral but we do cause the green energy in use can't keep p wher its needs .
Jun 17, 2011 8:51 AM

May 2007
If Ghibli spent their Miyazaki money to seriously start up solar or wind power I will take them more seriously, but Ghibli is now against Nuclear then their only options are coal or wood for now.
My anime list
Jun 17, 2011 9:01 AM

Oct 2010
Urza said:
With all due respect to Miyazaki, whose works I love, that's just foolish. In a matter that involves the energy suply of great parts of a country this kind of idealism is unreal, useless and hamrful.
Is Ghibli going to give the resources it takes to change all the infrastructure that a change to "green" energy requires? Will their complains and banners compensate the efficiency of the nuclear plant?
A change may be necessary, but just saying "I don't like this, don't like, don't like" doesn't solves anything at all. In fact, it gets things worse. I remember to have read in BBC that a few days after the earthquake the humanitarian disaster was diminished by all the atention to the fukushima incident (at least when it came to international news).

Haven't you thought that this is maybe just an ideological positioning like any citizen or organization can choose at a time? So the studio is not exactly obligated to contribute to its cause with blood, sweat and economical or political pressure... mostly because it will be impossible for them. Other than the fact I actually agree with the message, I don't care if they decide to make a public demonstration of their thoughts against nuclear energy. You are all making a weird controversy from such a little thing.
Jun 17, 2011 9:04 AM

May 2009
First off, how can they tell the difference? It's not like you can tell by the electricity you receive.

Second, in a country where nuclear power is responsible for well over half of the nation's power supply, good luck in getting what you need.

Third, nuclear power isn't that dangerous. I'm quite sure more people die from accidents related to fossil fuel than nuclear power. Plus, it's very energy-efficient (nuclear fission generates a lot of energy) and cost-efficient(fuel cells last for quite a long time). The only downsides are the nuclear waste (though some of it is reusable) and radiation when stuff goes wrong (which will promptly make people think about the Chernobyl disaster, even though that was a very different type of reactor and the circumstances were different). I think it's similar to plane crashes: a lot of people question the safety of flying when hundreds die in one crash, but they overlook the fact that accidents by regular traffic (like cars) kill more people on a yearly basis than any plane crash.

If they can create their own power, good for them, but I don't see it happening. Lots of environmentalist talk, but it takes more than talking big to make a difference.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 17, 2011 9:05 AM

Feb 2008
yeah, i bet they haven't switched to generators so that they can stop using nuclear "generated" power and prove how serious they are. oh wait, that would emit green house gases....oh dear. there is always solar tho.
Jun 17, 2011 9:06 AM

Oct 2010
Interesting piece of j-news. Makes sense that he would do such a thing, all of Miyazaki's movies have that kinda groove.
Jun 17, 2011 9:16 AM

Oct 2010
AO968 said:
Third, nuclear power isn't that dangerous. I'm quite sure more people die from accidents related to fossil fuel than nuclear power. Plus, it's very energy-efficient (nuclear fission generates a lot of energy) and cost-efficient(fuel cells last for quite a long time). The only downsides are the nuclear waste (though some of it is reusable) and radiation when stuff goes wrong (which will promptly make people think about the Chernobyl disaster, even though that was a very different type of reactor and the circumstances were different). I think it's similar to plane crashes: a lot of people question the safety of flying when hundreds die in one crash, but they overlook the fact that accidents by regular traffic (like cars) kill more people on a yearly basis than
any plane crash.

If they can create their own power, good for them, but I don't see it happening. Lots of environmentalist talk, but it takes more than talking big to make a difference.

What I said before: Studio Ghibli doesn't need to prove anything to anybody. Why should they take an active part in the fight against nuclear power? They are a damn animation studio, with people that are more or less alike in their ideas, but not more. If they want to contribute to this issue, they will form a political organization or a pressure group, but come on, blaming them for not bringing the solutions is just malicious.

About the nuclear power: I am against, at least with the current technology. Maybe when we can make it sure that the plants are 100% safe I will agree. Till now, the environmental and pathological consequences of a nuclear disaster are so serious that they can't be ignored just because they are statistically unlikely. It's not how many times they happen, but what we have at risk if they happen.
jal90Jun 17, 2011 9:21 AM
Jun 17, 2011 9:35 AM
Nov 2010
No one is asking them to do anything. As they're stating what they're thinking, any other people can say that way of thinking is unrealistic. And that's it.
Good luck finding a 100% safe energy source, I don't know any.
If we speak about eviromental risk, I think that oil plataforms in open sea have the same risk if not more.
Jun 17, 2011 9:43 AM
Jul 2018
jal90 said:

What I said before: Studio Ghibli doesn't need to prove anything to anybody. Why should they take an active part in the fight against nuclear power? They are a damn animation studio, with people that are more or less alike in their ideas, but not more. If they want to contribute to this issue, they will form a political organization or a pressure group, but come on, blaming them for not bringing the solutions is just malicious.

While I agree with your point that just because they are saying Nuclear Power is bad doesn't mean they are obligated to come up with an alternative, I can't help but criticise them for not putting their money where their mouth is.

Rather than a banner that expresses their wish to make animation without nuclear power, perhaps they should have installed solar panels and actually made their wish come true?

Of course, that wouldn't attract as much media attention and wouldn't make their political position so widely known to the general public. So to say that they don't want to contribute to this issue in a political sense seems a tad unlikely to me. They are making the position widely known and hoping to use their influence to shape the political opinions of others.

If that wasn't the case, they'd have fitted solar panels instead.
Jun 17, 2011 9:44 AM

Sep 2008
jal90 said:

About the nuclear power: I am against, at least with the current technology. Maybe when we can make it sure that the plants are 100% safe I will agree. Till now, the environmental and pathological consequences of a nuclear disaster are so serious that they can't be ignored just because they are statistically unlikely. It's not how many times they happen, but what we have at risk if they happen.

Actually being against nuclear power is what is making them unsafe. Having a ban on nuclear power plants prevents us from installing current gen cores that are 4 times safer then the ones we are using now, we can only patch up and upgrade our current aging nuclear infrastructure.

On top of that more people have died just in last year mining coal around the world, then the amount of people who have died due Nuclear Power Plant related accidents around the world in the last 40 years of nuclear power plant operation.

And if American built just 75 new power plants we would solve our energy crisis and be able to make cheap affordable hydrogen fuel.

Nuclear is really the only viable option. Everything else is either a pipe dream or the express bus to environmental break down and possible extinction.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jun 17, 2011 9:44 AM

Oct 2010
@Urza

I didn't say oil plataforms was a good alternative anyway.

Ok, you want to criticize Ghibli's decision. Right. So focus on the opinion, not on what the studio should/shouldn't do to justify their right to have one.

Edit.-

@AnnoKano

Thanks for the response. I actually agree with you but still I don't see it as a reason to be against this banner. The only thing it shows is an opinion, no more no less. And the fact -sure- that Studio Ghibli could do more than just spreading their opinions everywhere is something I understand can be seen as hypocritical and lacking rigurosity but that still doesn't invalidate if they want to express their thoughts about the topic. Maybe when the studio installs solar panels we will all celebrate their decision, but so far I don't think this act deserves the reactions it had in the thread.

@Jigero

Please explain me your first phrase. So, if I am against nuclear power, that makes me co-responsible for not having the security measures installed in the plants? No, sorry.

I appreciate your insight and you tell some things I don't know too much about. I am certainly not an expert and my opinions may be due to a lack of technical knowledge. But from what I see, the news and the effects a probable disaster has, this is not a valid option for me, not at least to become a definitive form of energy. If we can in the future minimize the risks to a point where talking about nuclear explosions belongs to the science fiction genre, I will support this. Till then, let me stay at the very least skeptical about this topic.
jal90Jun 17, 2011 10:30 AM
Jun 17, 2011 10:27 AM

Aug 2009
dtshyk said:
According to Cinema Today, Studio Ghibli displayed a banner which says "Studio Ghibli wants to create films without electricity generated by nuclear power plants." on the roof of the main studio in Tokyo. Studio Ghibli said "The banner was proposed by Miyazaki Hayao. We don't have any offensive intentions in the banner. Details of our thoughts will be announced in the monthly magazine Neppu in August."

Picture of the banner

Source: Cinema Today

I do not blame them considering what happened in their country. I am not a fan of nuclear power I do not think the potential disasters are worth it. Something that can produce a nuclear meltdown thus making a significant portion of land unusable for decades, infect surrounding areas with radiation and its spent nuclear fuel rods stored deep underground is not my idea of a safe alternative to coal or any other form of power.
Jun 17, 2011 11:12 AM

Sep 2009
I pray they don't say.
"Lets use solar and wind power."

Japan just simply isn't large enough or in stable enough waters for those to ever be viable options for them.

This whole disaster is actually kind of scary. For completely different reasons.
It makes me feel like people around the world are going to try and justify false safety "Facts" in an effort to have cleaner energy.

Don't get me wrong. In area that CAN utalize the power of sun, wind, and water...they should.
The majority of power in my home state of B.C is created by hydro.
The states are large enough they can utilize large amounts wind farms or solar reactors.
Jun 17, 2011 11:44 AM

Mar 2011
I'm a pro-environmentalist and that's also why I'm for nuclear power. Take your CO2 elsewhere and stop killing my successors.
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
Jun 17, 2011 11:53 AM

Mar 2009
As much as I respect Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli, this is totally unrealistic.
So, instead they're going to animate the movies that are against pollution and destruction of natural habitats with the coal-powered electricity that does just that? Okay, cool.
Jun 17, 2011 11:56 AM

Aug 2008
jal90 said:
@Jigero

Please explain me your first phrase. So, if I am against nuclear power, that makes me co-responsible for not having the security measures installed in the plants? No, sorry.
What's he's saying is you can't just waltz into the old plants and simply 'install the security measures.' The plants have to be built from the ground up with the measures integrated into the architecture. And you can't just change the architecture of the old ones because of the radiation.
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Jun 17, 2011 1:29 PM
Dec 2009
Exactly ^_^
Jun 17, 2011 1:40 PM

Aug 2008
The banner is cute! Ghibli much! :D

And I support you!
Jun 17, 2011 2:26 PM
Jan 2011
dtshyk said:

Picture of the banner[/

OK, so where are they gonna get electricity from........from a gas powered generator?

Source: [url=http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20110617-00000024-flix-movi]Cinema Today
Jun 17, 2011 2:28 PM
Oct 2010
damn hippies. stick to making anime, not promoting go green crap
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
1 hour ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
2 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
2 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 3 hours ago

3 by RobertBobert »»
3 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

8 by AddaeAkono »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.