Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 10, 2011 8:02 AM

Feb 2005
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Awww, not Teitania too Q__q
Though I guess the fact that she wasn't in Phantom Arc was a dead giveaway.
Why is it that all of Chirico's girlfriends end up being cyborg soldiers slowly dying due to lack of magic phlebotium? Probably some Freudian mother issues there somewhere. Either way, it seems the poor bastard is doomed to be forever_alone.jpg
And what's this? Stevia seems to have inherited her mothers' hopeless crush on Chirico and even got some tsundere vibes to boot. Should be fun if we see more of her in the future.

But more importantly, mecha! The sand thread legs were nifty additions, and the artillery pattern Scopedogs (Hereby called Scopecannon) seemed cool too. Some of the fancy tricks Chirico pulled off were really awesome too, like throwing nades into an exposed cockpit and using the ensuing explosion to hurl himself at the enemy. There could have been more of it though, especially in the final battle.

Either way, a nice addition to the franchise, moreso than those spinoffs. Too bad this seems to be the final one in the foreseeable future.
May 10, 2011 8:56 PM

Oct 2007
alone_again.jpg
May 11, 2011 7:01 PM

Aug 2009
May 12, 2011 6:47 PM

Oct 2007
May 15, 2011 4:34 PM

Sep 2008
and the artillery pattern Scopedogs (Hereby called Scopecannon) seemed cool too.

Same kit was used in Heretic except it looked better because it wasn't mediocre CGI.

May 22, 2011 8:58 PM

Aug 2007
I thought it was pretty pointless for the most part. Nothing was learned in the end, and Chirico just fucks off elsewhere, ALONE after destroying a bunch of things again.

This and Defrost just haven't done much for me. Maybe Phantom Arc will be okay, but I doubt it.

Jun 3, 2011 1:50 AM

Apr 2009
Why, oh why after the great animation-works of Irvine & Finder, why did they have to revert to that awful CGI just when Chirico finally got back... damn you Sunrise, damn you...

PS Other than that this was a nice OVA... and unlike Irvine & Finder it felt like Votoms...
Dec 1, 2011 9:43 PM

Jun 2010
Wow, that was actually decent. That's the first VOTOMS worth a damn in a long time. It even made it look as if Shining Heresy wasn't a pile of crap.

It was a bit simple-minded and the two story-lines don't mesh at all. The plot about trade and political-military power games stops dead so Teitania can have her stylish action send-off, although that was pretty good so I can't really complain.

I hadn't realized this is set before Phantom Arc, though. That explains why the space baby doesn't show up in this and why Vanilla and Coconna are arguing in the beginning of Phantom Arc.
May 15, 2013 7:01 AM

Jun 2012
I always wondered why the hell anyone would watch this after Phantom Arc, so I just decided to watch it the other way around. While it does make narrative sense, I feel like if there was ever more of an "ending" for VOTOMS I guess symbolically (for lack of a better term) it really would be this. Chirico refusing to take one final look at Fyanna, the woman whom he razed an entire city, crossed an entire desert with no water, and wrecked the center of major religion for. It's that acceptance and moving on that provides much more of an ending than the ending of Phantom Arc and in my opinion, it's really kind of beautiful.
in love with an apparition.
May 13, 2015 4:42 PM

Jul 2010
So another woman that loves Chirico bites the dust...but Teitania's death was beautifully done I have to say.
Sep 8, 2019 3:53 PM

Jun 2014
Chirico meets the gang again for the first time in years, but he doesn't stay around long, because he knows that things are bound to explode where he stands.

Chirico and Teitania obliterate the black lightning, but Teitania dies in the process. Rather than look up at Fyana's capsule, Chirico instead chooses to embrace Teitania. It originally seemed that Teitania would be the girl who would succeed Fyana as Chirico's lover, but she died as well.

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.