Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 18, 2011 1:52 AM

Oct 2008
Yay finally! I've been waiting for this to start! :D
It was a great first episode too. I actually really liked the extra bits added in there. I want the next episode already!
Apr 18, 2011 1:57 AM

Oct 2010
Azael said:
I want the next episode now!
think i'll start reading the manga.
kokocho said:
Yay finally! I've been waiting for this to start! :D
It was a great first episode too. I actually really liked the extra bits added in there. I want the next episode already!

AmberFebruary said:
"this is FMA reincarnated" i'm feeling it, if not, a descendant of it ^^

ahh~!!! i can feel this one would be one of the best anime so far~ <3
Apr 18, 2011 2:41 AM
Dec 2007
Very good first episode, and great first try at non-adult anime for Wolf's Rain and Darker than Black's Okamura. The script, characters and direction were simply excellent. Plus, it was surprisingly close to FMA in tone, characterization and atmosphere, but I guess the genre and age demographics want that. Another great series to add to this season.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 18, 2011 2:44 AM
Mar 2010
Oh, no wonder the ED sounded so familiar. It's 2PM(a popular Korean K-pop band)...
Anyway, a pretty good adaption, although a pretty slow pace. It didn't even cover the first chapter I think.
Apr 18, 2011 2:45 AM

Jun 2010
this ep just make me wants more!...cant wait for the next ep :)
i never really like k-pop world...but the ed was ok.
Apr 18, 2011 2:47 AM

Sep 2008
People are commenting on similarities to fullmetal. Aside from a couple shared genre labels and an approximately similar demographic, what exactly is being noticed here? I'm missing it entirely. It sounds interesting.
Apr 18, 2011 3:22 AM

Sep 2009
Finally! Finally!
Tohru's VA plays Rin XD~ interesting.
Jun love always appreciated.
So, the 1st episode is different from the manga...i want to read it now.
Bromance ♥.♥
I could not stop staring at Yukio's mole♥ and on top having mole fetish does not help *dies*
Excellent 1st episode and definitely continuing with the series.
I wanted to hear the OP but no; keeping it a surprise (?)
Apr 18, 2011 3:22 AM

Apr 2009
Interesting. I like the story and art so far. I don't see myself losing interest in this for a while. :) Son of Satan, eh?
Apr 18, 2011 4:18 AM

Apr 2010
LightningRamiel said:
Animated 2PM also got a chuckle out of me as a mild k-pop fan.
Sad to say though, the truth is much more awesome than simply Animated 2PM...

It was the cast of Ao no Exorcist's male characters dancing like 2PM!

The ED made my season.

Apr 18, 2011 4:22 AM

Oct 2009
Fuck yes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2011 5:09 AM

May 2007
I think its the best debut in this season.
Apr 18, 2011 5:15 AM

Aug 2010
This is some cool shit.
Apr 18, 2011 5:16 AM
Jul 2010
Gilliene said:
Interesting. I like the story and art so far. I don't see myself losing interest in this for a while. :) Son of Satan, eh?

This.
Apr 18, 2011 5:40 AM

Sep 2009
Best anime of this season. 2PM did a good job :) they sound Japanese. Rin is cool >.<
Apr 18, 2011 5:54 AM

Aug 2010
Generic shonen done really, really right.

Loved that episode, sfx were cool and the story seems like it'll be a lot of fun. No doubts this will be one of my more anticipated shows every week.
Apr 18, 2011 7:00 AM

May 2010
tokoharu said:
LightningRamiel said:
Animated 2PM also got a chuckle out of me as a mild k-pop fan.
Sad to say though, the truth is much more awesome than simply Animated 2PM...

It was the cast of Ao no Exorcist's male characters dancing like 2PM!

The ED made my season.

LMAO! I thought it was 2pm at first....then i rewinded it and noticed it was Rin & the gang doing the 2pm dance XD *is happeh* Now, to wait for uverworld's song!!!
SOOOO FREAKIN GLAD IT'S HERE!!! Now I can't wait till next week....T^T
Ep 1 was kinda a filler...had some parts of ch 1 but next ep is gonna be a sad one T^T
Hope they stay close to the manga ♥
Ao no Exorcist is one of the best anime this season (along side Deadman Wonderland) XD
Apr 18, 2011 7:36 AM

Sep 2009
awesome as f**k!
Apr 18, 2011 7:58 AM

Jan 2008
Been anticipating this and was waiting for good subber to get this picked up. Whew, I love what I've watched so far. Love the art, animation, and OST/sound fx. Great execution of the story. Oh, not to forget the fitting voices for each chara. This series definitely is my top 1 in the list to look forward every week.
Apr 18, 2011 8:04 AM

Sep 2009
KeiranShikari said:
Generic shonen done really, really right.

End that four words sooner and you're pretty much on the mark.

In order of events:

1. Oh boy, generic flashy opening scene. Which is uncannily similar to the opening scene of Gosick as well, if memory serves.

2. And now we cut from our hint of the unreal shonen aspects to an everyday punk in a streetfight who happens to be our main character. Because I can't name at least three shonen series right off the bat that started that way.

3. They ruined a potentially funny line by cutting to over-the-top slapstick. Goddamn it.

4. EXPOSITION. EXPOSITION EVERYWHERE. OH GOD. IT'S EVERYWHERE. IT'S IN MY RACCOON WOUNDS. AUGH.

5. Ridiculously cheesy emotional scene. Bleh.

6. I'm going to take a blind stab in the dark here and say his brother will die. Could be right, could be wrong. But that was some pretty bad foreshadowing right there if I'm right.

7. More incredibly cheesy emotional moments with over-the-top comedy that isn't funny sliced inbetween.

8. OK, I'll admit that the scene with his first day at work was actually pretty funny. As someone who just started a similar job and pushes trollies in the car park most of the day, the joke where he was pushing a ridiculous amount of them was funny to me. Not sure it translates to everyone else, though.

9. And that was a decently done dramatic scene.

10. ...Which they promptly cocked up with bad dialogue and cheesy music.

11. Said scene then dragged on a lot. And got really, REALLY cheesy.

12. Predictable plot twist is predictable.

13. Oh hai thar Alexander Anderson.

14. Generic mythos is generic.

So yeah, pretty bad. But oddly, to a bearable degree. It was bad, but not painful to watch. It was certainly a hell of a lot better than Deadman Wonderland. But still bad.
Apr 18, 2011 8:07 AM

Aug 2009
I really enjoyed the first episode. I'll definitely be watching this.
Apr 18, 2011 8:14 AM

May 2010
Awesome better than I expected, looks like this anime would be great !
Apr 18, 2011 8:35 AM

Nov 2008
That first discussion with main and his brother was so gay. The whole episode was so gay actually.
And our main protagonist is a pigeon saviour that will save the world sooner or later.
Apr 18, 2011 8:39 AM

Sep 2008
Lind_L_Tailor said:

It's not so really a plot twist so much as the frggin premise lol. It's not supposed to surprise you. It's right there in the description, mentioned in most of the trailers, listed on the promotional art. Iirc a tagline used at some point was "What happens when the son of Satan becomes an exorcist?" or something cheesy like that. Sounded like a pitch for a rob schneider movie. I see no reason that moment should have been anything less than predictable. Just like no one's surprised when Kira Yamato somehow ends up in a Gundam at the end of the first episode of Gundam Seed. Not a twist, just what has to happen for the show to start. It wouldn't be gundam without some gundams, it wouldn't be Blue Exorcist without an exorcist using demonic flames.

The resemblance to Alexander Anderson was minimal at best. Hirano Kouta didn't invent the badass priest. I'm pretty sure that has its' own trope. The use of carnivorous teeth to indicate badassery is also a common device, though I can't remember is Alexander Anderson ever got that treatment.

The mythos is tried and true. It's symplistic. "There's demons over there, we don't want them to be over here". Once again, not really even a mythos so much as a premise. It's probably generic because they didn't exactly invent the concept of demons residing in another realm, and becoming dangerous once allowed into our own. Last I checked that was basically the christian concepts of Hell and Possession. Seems like a suitable principle to use when making a show about exorcists. Or would you prefer they just make up some new idea for what possession is. Try and wow us with how creative they can get with it? Turns out it's aliens employing mind control tactics and an exorcists' job is to interfere with the transmissions so they can free the victim. Of course, at that point they wouldn't have to call it exorcism anymore now would they? Certainly no more than Dog Days has to call what they do "War".

Anyway, you don't like it, that's fine. We all have our own tastes. Personally I enjoy it when occasionally they try and let the quality of their product make it noteworthy rather than relying on gimmicks. Nothing wrong with another attitude though. Not everyone enjoys seeing essentially the same show they've seen many times before. Those last three criticisms just seemed unfair to me. 12 in particular. Don't know why you were expecting a shocking plot twist in episode one, as opposed to a straightforward laydown of the premise.
Apr 18, 2011 8:40 AM

Feb 2009
I can't put my finger on the character design, it's oddly familiar. I think I say this every time. Oh well.

A promising start. I have some Yu Yu Hakusho vibes mixed with D.Gray-man.
I like it. Hope it gets better.
Apr 18, 2011 9:13 AM

Sep 2009
Gangler said:
Lind_L_Tailor said:

It's not so really a plot twist so much as the frggin premise lol. It's not supposed to surprise you. It's right there in the description, mentioned in most of the trailers, listed on the promotional art. Iirc a tagline used at some point was "What happens when the son of Satan becomes an exorcist?" or something cheesy like that. Sounded like a pitch for a rob schneider movie. I see no reason that moment should have been anything less than predictable. Just like no one's surprised when Kira Yamato somehow ends up in a Gundam at the end of the first episode of Gundam Seed. Not a twist, just what has to happen for the show to start. It wouldn't be gundam without some gundams, it wouldn't be Blue Exorcist without an exorcist using demonic flames.

The resemblance to Alexander Anderson was minimal at best. Hirano Kouta didn't invent the badass priest. I'm pretty sure that has its' own trope. The use of carnivorous teeth to indicate badassery is also a common device, though I can't remember is Alexander Anderson ever got that treatment.

The mythos is tried and true. It's symplistic. "There's demons over there, we don't want them to be over here". Once again, not really even a mythos so much as a premise. It's probably generic because they didn't exactly invent the concept of demons residing in another realm, and becoming dangerous once allowed into our own. Last I checked that was basically the christian concepts of Hell and Possession. Seems like a suitable principle to use when making a show about exorcists. Or would you prefer they just make up some new idea for what possession is. Try and wow us with how creative they can get with it? Turns out it's aliens employing mind control tactics and an exorcists' job is to interfere with the transmissions so they can free the victim. Of course, at that point they wouldn't have to call it exorcism anymore now would they? Certainly no more than Dog Days has to call what they do "War".

Anyway, you don't like it, that's fine. We all have our own tastes. Personally I enjoy it when occasionally they try and let the quality of their product make it noteworthy rather than relying on gimmicks. Nothing wrong with another attitude though. Not everyone enjoys seeing essentially the same show they've seen many times before. Those last three criticisms just seemed unfair to me. 12 in particular. Don't know why you were expecting a shocking plot twist in episode one, as opposed to a straightforward laydown of the premise.

Actually, what I was referring to by 12 was the thug being a demon.

I know Alexander Anderson isn't the only example, but his design, several of the directing techniques used on him, and a large chunk of the dialogue seems to be extremely similar to Anderson, moreso than to most badass priests.

As for 14, you didn't really challenge my point so much as justify why it didn't bug you. Which is all well and good, I suppose.
Apr 18, 2011 9:30 AM

Jun 2010
Rin's true nature was unexpected. Seems interesting.

Apr 18, 2011 9:48 AM

Jun 2010
It was alright I guess. It reminded me Beelzebub without that much of comedy.

The manga is not that far, so could it be an 24-episodes adaption? Unless they will add many fillers like in Beelzebub...
Apr 18, 2011 9:52 AM

Nov 2009
This seems very good, I have high expectations of it. I'll most likely end up reading the manga sometime soon as well.

IceAndCream said:
Looks great! I'm happy they added more about Rin's family life. I was always disappointed that there wasn't much of that in the manga.

I really enjoy seeing more of the family life in a manga (or anime) as well.
Apr 18, 2011 11:45 AM

Nov 2007
The ED is stuck in my head now<3 Ready, ready, ready for the take off! hehe:D

Apr 18, 2011 11:50 AM

Nov 2009
Seems interesting for a generic shounen. Gonna watch it for now
Apr 18, 2011 11:57 AM

Aug 2008
Not bad at all. I like the voice acting and the gags seem funny enough too.
It's unbelievable how unlucky Rin can get.
Apr 18, 2011 12:19 PM

Jul 2010
Wow, this was pretty awesome. Okamoto Nobuhiko's (Accelerator, Yumeji) voice is still real badass and it suits Rin really well. In addition to that I love the setting. Rin is a likable character and the son of Satan no less! =O
ED was OK, very different than usual and really poppy.

Apr 18, 2011 12:28 PM

Mar 2009
just as planned great show, just like the manga that I'm reading :)
Apr 18, 2011 4:37 PM

Apr 2011
TOTALLY AWESOME!

Apr 18, 2011 4:42 PM

Jan 2011
I didn't read the manga it seems pretty nice I'll just wait and see how it develops and give judgement.
Apr 18, 2011 4:44 PM

Sep 2008
Lind_L_Tailor said:

Actually, what I was referring to by 12 was the thug being a demon.

I know Alexander Anderson isn't the only example, but his design, several of the directing techniques used on him, and a large chunk of the dialogue seems to be extremely similar to Anderson, moreso than to most badass priests.

As for 14, you didn't really challenge my point so much as justify why it didn't bug you. Which is all well and good, I suppose.

Hm... Fair enough. So you don't think that the character established as an antagonist at the beginning of the episode should have turned out to have actual significance at the end of the episode. While I'm not sure what to say to that, I'm not gonna argue.

Personally I think he seems closer to the street preacher in Johnny Mnemonic than anything else, but whatev's. I'm not really helping the case.

My general point is that there's a difference between "Drawn from reality" and "Generic". You could just as easily complain that the characters have a generic biology because they're made of flesh and blood like every other character. Some shit you just got to accept for what it is. Exorcists try and keep demons out of our realm of existence. That's just the way it is. We can't always be reinventing the wheel for every little thing. Even when someone spends years building a fictional universe from scratch they have to keep some basic similarities between it and our own. Ground is made of dirt, people are made of meat, words all still mean the same thing. It's just necessary for it all to make sense. They probably didn't spend years building this universe. At the end of the day, Exorcism means a certain thing, and so that meaning remained unchanged within the context of the show.

You're right though. All any of what I've said equals to is justification. Listed a trope to draw the difference between copying of a specific character and using a stock character. That kind of thing.

Anyway, yeah. At the end of the day the show is generic. Not gonna argue about that. Just seems to me that it's a quality product, which is likely what KeiranShikari was refering to when he said "Generic Shonen done really, really right." The difference between Busou Renkin and E's Otherwise. ymmv though.
Apr 18, 2011 4:49 PM

Apr 2011
It was really good, probably one of the best this season XD
Apr 18, 2011 5:57 PM

Jan 2011
Seems interesting
was wondering why I saw Rin's face around
xD;; oh well
Apr 18, 2011 8:09 PM
Mar 2011
Pretty entertaining. It's more funny than serious but great ending.
Apr 18, 2011 8:25 PM

Nov 2010
Awesome. Simple enough, really looking forward to this one, the action and comedy balance out and everything has a nice way of setting things up for us.
Apr 18, 2011 9:00 PM

Nov 2008
Didn't dig this entirely but I'll follow this series to see how things turns out XD

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Apr 18, 2011 9:34 PM

Sep 2010
Yay~ the art's awesome. the animation's awesome. the OP and ED's nice too.
Rin and Yukio's voice is similar or the same with the VOMIC's.
Some scenes are different from the manga but it's still somewhat the same.
Damn, the wait was soo worth it. Now, the manga should update too.

Lol, I just noticed that Mephisto had an early cameo xDD
pk2495Apr 18, 2011 11:22 PM
Apr 18, 2011 10:07 PM

Feb 2008
Much better than I expected it to be. Another good show this season.
Apr 18, 2011 10:55 PM
Jun 2010
^ my thoughts exactly.
i'll be keeping track of this anime for sure :).
Apr 18, 2011 11:15 PM

Sep 2008
One of my favorite shows this season!!
I can't wait for more action scenes and Okamoto Nobuhiko's voice never disappointed me!! >.<
Apr 19, 2011 12:47 AM

Jun 2008
Okay, they are going reeeeeeal slow to extend the length of the anime and making it so that they don't catch on to the manga too quickly.
Apr 19, 2011 2:02 AM

Dec 2010
Really enjoyed this episode, I think I'm going to enjoy this series.
Apr 19, 2011 2:43 AM

Jan 2010
I sure hope this turns out more interesting than it looks so far. And what it looks so far is generic. Aren't there hundreds of manga with the same premise out there...?
Apr 19, 2011 6:19 AM

Nov 2008
That was some great animation here. The movement of character was flawless, also no repetitive sequences. Music is nice too, I'd like to have an OST already ^^. Voice acting is nothing special, but not bad. The first episode was kinda slow paced, we gonna see some action in next. Hope the animation won't turn crappy.
Apr 19, 2011 6:28 AM

Feb 2011
am i seeing gray fullbuster xD
well it was an ok anime,

love the way 2pm sang the ed song..
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jul 31, 2011

191 by XILG »»
Apr 16, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 22, 2011

202 by XILG »»
Apr 11, 7:51 PM

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Zeando - May 1, 2011

239 by Animeinsight101 »»
Mar 24, 5:43 AM

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Apr 24, 2011

310 by Animeinsight101 »»
Mar 24, 5:41 AM

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

lzumi-chan - Jun 19, 2011

201 by Seraschi »»
Mar 15, 1:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.