Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (11) « First ... « 9 10 [11]
Aug 16, 2014 4:44 PM

Mar 2014
JTurner said:
Looking at X/1999 right now. I'm neutral about the characters' voices (some are decent, others sound QUITE off), but the acting sounds very all over the place, with a lot of stiff or stunted delivery, and sometimes overacted/underacted. My biggest problem is that the sound quality is quite bad -- distorted and grating, almost like it was recorded at a high-level.

Speaking of bottom of the barrel, here's MY choice for one of the most bottom of the barrel dubs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-yAIUII9nE

No, it's not the Disney version that I'm talking about, but the ancient 80's dub. This clip contains both. the Disney version comes first, and THEN the original lifeless version. Trust me, one listen to the latter and you'll quickly realize how better Disney's dub sounds.

Kanoe's voice(The evil sexy long haired chick) in the dub of X/1999 movie is the only decent performance, It was resonating with sensuality.(Well, sensual women voices are more pleasing for me to listen to.)

As for Laputa, Disney's dub is superior, so it's no contest.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 16, 2014 9:01 PM
Jan 2008
SwatKat1990 said:
JTurner said:
Looking at X/1999 right now. I'm neutral about the characters' voices (some are decent, others sound QUITE off), but the acting sounds very all over the place, with a lot of stiff or stunted delivery, and sometimes overacted/underacted. My biggest problem is that the sound quality is quite bad -- distorted and grating, almost like it was recorded at a high-level.

Speaking of bottom of the barrel, here's MY choice for one of the most bottom of the barrel dubs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-yAIUII9nE

No, it's not the Disney version that I'm talking about, but the ancient 80's dub. This clip contains both. the Disney version comes first, and THEN the original lifeless version. Trust me, one listen to the latter and you'll quickly realize how better Disney's dub sounds.

Kanoe's voice(The evil sexy long haired chick) in the dub of X/1999 movie is the only decent performance, It was resonating with sensuality.(Well, sensual women voices are more pleasing for me to listen to.)

As for Laputa, Disney's dub is superior, so it's no contest.

What astounds me is that there are a number of vocal fans who insist the older '80s version is superior to the Disney version, but I can only scratch my head in bewilderment at that. I'm not against '80s dubs as a rule, but that one is not a good example. And c'mon, Disney's version has evil Luke Skywalker. You can't get any better than that.
Aug 18, 2014 12:44 PM
Jul 2018
XTApocalypse said:
What's wrong with the dub for Bleach? Both the dub and the show are miles ahead of Naruto.

For some perspective on horrible dubs, I suggest any of the links Swat provided above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvclk8MyklE

''You'll have to get down, I must rampage''

I got no words.
Aug 18, 2014 12:54 PM

Jul 2012
I wasn't able to get through 10 minutes of the Mawaru Penguindrum dub. I ruined a potentially great show for myself.
Aug 18, 2014 7:37 PM

Dec 2009
GreenSoap said:
XTApocalypse said:
What's wrong with the dub for Bleach? Both the dub and the show are miles ahead of Naruto.

For some perspective on horrible dubs, I suggest any of the links Swat provided above.

I got no words.

That line was hilarious. One of Kenpachi's best. Such a shame that Lodge couldn't have still been the one to deliver it.
Aug 18, 2014 8:38 PM
Jan 2008
XTApocalypse said:
GreenSoap said:

I got no words.

That line was hilarious. One of Kenpachi's best. Such a shame that Lodge couldn't have still been the one to deliver it.

I also have to disagree; BLEACH is in no way a bad dub. Quite the contrary. It's quite good, and I did like the performances.
Aug 22, 2014 10:00 AM

Mar 2012
wzrd said:
I wasn't able to get through 10 minutes of the Mawaru Penguindrum dub. I ruined a potentially great show for myself.
Funny you should mention that. I watching a bit of it just then and onestly I can't blame you. I don't often stuff like this about English Dubs but Mawaru Penguindrum's Dub is an absolute disgrace to the series.

The more I watch the worse it seems to get. I mean, who in God's name thought Illich Guardiola with his deep middle aged man voice would be able to believably play a teenage boy.

Not only is it badly acted but it oozes incompetence and laziness. Voice actors for lead characters being replaced halfway through the series (Not mention neither VA sounds anything like each other), songs being left in Japanese when they really should have been translated into English, one song being accidentally cut out because of an editing mistake, it's all just a big mess.

Monica Rial and Emily Neves are fine but nothing spectacular. I'd hesitate to even call them 'good'.
Sep 30, 2014 11:04 AM

Mar 2014
Master of Martial Hearts-

For a Funimation dub I'm really not impressed.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2014 11:20 AM

Mar 2012
The series was complete garbage. If anything the dub made it way more tolerable for me. Either way it's a lot better than Master of Martial Hearts ever deserved.
Sep 30, 2014 11:54 AM

Mar 2014
SeibaaHomu said:
The series was complete garbage. If anything the dub made it way more tolerable for me. Either way it's a lot better than Master of Martial Hearts ever deserved.

I was especially vexed about the final episode's plot twist.
Sep 30, 2014 4:41 PM

Jan 2014
I tend to choose my anime based on what I hear about their dubs, so I've been pretty lucky there. Higurashi and Samurai X were some I did have a few issues with. Some of Psycho-Pass's dub VAs were alright, but it just felt too wooden overall, then there's Toradora!, which Taiga's VA completely destroyed.
Dec 16, 2014 3:14 PM

Nov 2007
SeibaaHomu said:

At least with Funimation titles they give a decent effort at voicing it.

Agent Aika's got one of the worst English dubs I've heard for a pantsu fighter series.
Dec 17, 2014 5:49 AM

Mar 2014
Angus said:
SeibaaHomu said:

At least with Funimation titles they give a decent effort at voicing it.

Agent Aika's got one of the worst English dubs I've heard for a pantsu fighter series.

Decent effort? There have been Funimation dubs in the past that barely impressed me.

Examples:

Fafner: Heaven and Earth (Texas cast pales in comparison to the TV series which was dubbed in California.)
Genesis of Aquarion
Sands of Destruction
SwatKat1990Dec 17, 2014 6:02 AM
Dec 17, 2014 9:56 AM

Nov 2007
True. I didn't want to imply they are automatically excused from making crappy dubs.
Dec 17, 2014 4:36 PM

Oct 2013
Hayate no Gotoku Dub is god awful but then again so is every Animax dub. Surprised they bothered doing all 52 eps AND the 2nd season.
Dec 17, 2014 7:16 PM

Mar 2014
With all due respect to Greg Ayres, I didn't think he was that great as Rygart Arrow in the Broken Blade films.
Dec 17, 2014 8:11 PM
Jan 2008
GEO9875 said:
Hayate no Gotoku Dub is god awful but then again so is every Animax dub. Surprised they bothered doing all 52 eps AND the 2nd season.

I've only seen one dub from Animax thus far and that was Sword Art Online. I thought that particular dub was really good, easily deserving of a 10.
Jan 8, 2015 12:33 PM

Aug 2014
I have to say:Tai chi chasers and Scan2Go were pretty bad dubs. Bakugan's 2-4th season were ok.
WE ARE BACK BABY!-Ani-Comedy's Return on Cartoon Network.(a fanmade block I made up.)
Jan 11, 2015 2:34 AM

Mar 2008
JTurner said:
GEO9875 said:

I've only seen one dub from Animax thus far and that was Sword Art Online. I thought that particular dub was really good, easily deserving of a 10.

You're confusing Animax with Aniplex...Animax is an official Asian based company that typically produces "engrish dubs" for some anime.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection
Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Jan 14, 2015 1:36 PM

May 2014
the ginban kaleidoscope dub is horrendous
Jan 14, 2015 4:31 PM

Aug 2014
Toddler_Naruto said:
JTurner said:

You're confusing Animax with Aniplex...Animax is an official Asian based company that typically produces "engrish dubs" for some anime.

Man,Animax is sadly not here in the US. They had dubs of Shows we can't dub,HxH(2011),Maid Sama,Hayate,Coppelion,Princess Sara,Shall I go on?
WE ARE BACK BABY!-Ani-Comedy's Return on Cartoon Network.(a fanmade block I made up.)
Jan 15, 2015 1:04 AM

Jun 2007
Bakuformer00 said:

Man, Animax is sadly not here in the US. They had dubs of shows we can't dub, HxH(2011), Maid Sama, Hayate, Coppelion, Princess Sara... shall I go on?

What do you mean, we can't dub those shows? Coppelion's been dubbed, and Maid-sama is being re-released with a dub later this month.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Jan 15, 2015 1:39 AM

Mar 2008
Bakuformer00 said:
Man, Animax is sadly not here in the US. They had dubs of shows we can't dub, like HxH(2011), Maid-sama, Hayate, Coppelion, Princess Sara...shall I go on?

First off, have you actually listened to any of Animax-Asia's english dubs?

No offense, but they are usually cringe worthy (terrible).

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection
Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Jan 15, 2015 3:24 AM

May 2014
Bakuformer00 said:
Man, Animax is sadly not here in the US. They had dubs of shows we can't dub, like HxH(2011), Maid-sama, Hayate, Coppelion, Princess Sara...shall I go on?

lol I live in the US and saw those dubbed :3
Jan 15, 2015 3:36 PM

Aug 2014
joey101937 said:
Bakuformer00 said:

lol I live in the US and saw those dubbed :3

Animax has Vanguard. If CN could add This and Gyrozetter and Inazuma 11 and brings back Bakugan while pokemon is sadly the only anime.:( There's no more tenkai........Great dub for a kids anime.
Bakuformer00Jan 16, 2015 10:55 PM
Jan 15, 2015 7:38 PM

Aug 2014
Zalis said:
Bakuformer00 said:

Man, Animax is sadly not here in the US. They had dubs of shows we can't dub, HxH(2011), Maid Sama, Hayate, Coppelion, Princess Sara... shall I go on?

What do you mean, we can't dub those shows? Coppelion's been dubbed, and Maid-sama is being re-released with a dub later this month.
Zalis said:
Bakuformer00 said:

Sweet! I really want A Hanamaru Kindergarten dub,CRUNCHYROLL!!!! I really want A Hayate Dub,NIS america anime(except Toradora because it's been dubbed),HxH(2011),Some Aniplex Anime,OniAi,DLE shorts and The rest of the WMT and Nichijou. Why Bandai Why?!;( RIP.
Jan 25, 2015 4:47 PM

Oct 2013
You're Under Arrest's dub is really bad, is almost like a hentai, cracks me up, is also a example of a dub with lame localized jokes and references thrown in. The quality of the dub and the year gab between the 3 was probably the reason Season 2 and 3 were never dubbed.
Jan 25, 2015 4:49 PM

Jul 2013
Chromartie high school dub sucks, but it suits the hilarity of the show.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 25, 2015 5:56 PM

Mar 2012
The *Cromartie High School dub is fantastic. Back in a time when Steve Foster was at his best and long before Penguindrum put a massive stain on my opinion of him.

Speaking of which, DO NOT WATCH PENGUINDRUM DUBBED. It's probably one of the few dubs I've seen that outright ruins the show.
Feb 8, 2015 9:32 AM

Mar 2014
Maria Holic:

Monica Rial voices... a boy, who cross-dresses as a girl who attends an all girls school. I just don't think it sounded very convincing.

Here's some actresses who can convincingly voice boys:

Maile Flanagan
Alison Viktorin
Mona Marshall
Laura Bailey
Stephanie Nadolny
Wendee Lee
Veronica Taylor
Feb 8, 2015 12:59 PM

Aug 2014
SwatKat1990 said:
Maria Holic:

Monica Rial voices... a boy, who cross-dresses as a girl who attends an all girls school. I just don't think it sounded very convincing.

Maile Flanagan
Alison Viktorin
Mona Marshall
Laura Bailey
Stephanie Nadolny
Wendee Lee
Veronica Taylor

We always know Maile plays Naruto,Mona plays Doraemon,And Veronica played as Old Ash but Monica Rial?! The voice of Shiro,Q,Amy,Index,Bulma and May Chang?! You got to be kidding me.
Bakuformer00Feb 8, 2015 7:39 PM
Feb 8, 2015 1:27 PM

Dec 2009
I don't know that "convincingly" is a word I would use for anyone on that list, certainly not Maile. Women voicing boy characters is hardly realistic, but we as a community have come to accept the sort of screechy tone that comes with it most of the time. It's a trope, really.

The only time I've heard a female voice in anime that I could believe would belong to a real, breathing human male is Caitlin Glass's Haruhi in Ouran High School Host Club... and she was still a girl, albeit androgynous.
Feb 8, 2015 3:26 PM
Jul 2018
The Bleach dub was atrocious all the way through.
I didn't like Kuwabara's voice in Yu Yu Hakusho; annoying as shit.
The Hunter x Hunter dub was pretty disappointing, but not that bad in reality.
Feb 8, 2015 5:12 PM

Dec 2009
GreenSoap said:
The Bleach dub was atrocious all the way through.
I didn't like Kuwabara's voice in Yu Yu Hakusho; annoying as shit.
The Hunter x Hunter dub was pretty disappointing, but not that bad in reality.

You and I are of two very, very different minds. :I
Feb 8, 2015 5:15 PM

Mar 2014
Bakuformer00 said:
SwatKat1990 said:
Maria Holic:

Maile Flanagan
Alison Viktorin
Mona Marshall
Laura Bailey
Stephanie Nadolny
Wendee Lee
Veronica Taylor

We always know Maile plays Naruto,Mona plays Doraemon,And Veronica played as Old Ash but Monica Rial?! The voice of Shiro and May Ling?! You got to be kidding me.

See it for yourself. It's a rather poor attempt.
Feb 8, 2015 7:40 PM

Aug 2014
SwatKat1990 said:
Bakuformer00 said:

We always know Maile plays Naruto,Mona plays Doraemon,And Veronica played as Old Ash but Monica Rial?! The voice of Shiro and May Ling?! You got to be kidding me.

See it for yourself. It's a rather poor attempt.

I Saw it. It was pretty bad.
Apr 3, 2015 10:15 PM

Mar 2014
I really dislike the Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal dub. It was so bad.
Apr 5, 2015 1:48 AM

Aug 2014
Negima
Chrono crusade
There voice of the main male character really annoying
Lonely Knight & Shining Armour
Apr 6, 2015 3:52 PM

Mar 2014
DangerDuD said:
Negima
Chrono crusade
There voice of the main male character really annoying

That's because they're both voiced by Greg Ayres.
Apr 6, 2015 5:24 PM

Aug 2014
haddy0209 said:
Inuyasha final act . Was watching the original series and decided to rewatch the 2nd series because I heard they made a dub version . Couldn't take kagome and sesshomaru new voices I had to switch the channel with swiftness .

fairy tail
one piece
samurai x

You and me are the opposite.
Apr 9, 2015 10:44 PM

Nov 2013
Lucky Star
Clannad
Toradora
Garzey's Wing
Revolutionary Girl Utena
5 Centimeters per Second
May 24, 2015 10:30 PM

Aug 2014
I hate The Animax dubs of the WMT. They Ruined Little Women. Sara's was ok.
May 29, 2015 4:13 PM

May 2014
the god-awful ginban kaleidoscope dub
Aug 6, 2015 5:26 AM
Feb 2013
Genocyber's dub was pretty lousy, then again, most early 90s OVAs tended to have bad dubs, lol.
Aug 6, 2015 7:55 AM
Jan 2008
MurdocJones said:
Genocyber's dub was pretty lousy, then again, most early 90s OVAs tended to have bad dubs, lol.

Not all of them; LODOSS OVA wasn't TOO bad.
Aug 14, 2015 11:32 PM

Aug 2013
I did not enjoy the Unbreakable Machine-Doll dub. It wasn't horrible, but I didn't like the English accents. I had to leave the subtitles on because I had a hard time understanding some of the things they were saying.
Aug 18, 2015 11:08 AM

Jun 2015
The acting in Dragon Ball Z was something you can't believe unless you see it yourself.

The acting in Inuyasha was just as terrible, but the worst of them has to be Master Keaton, especially the title character.
Aug 18, 2015 3:50 PM

Dec 2009
DBZ doesn't hold up to later FUNimation dubs, but it still wasn't that bad. InuYasha is worse. Neither of them are bad beyond belief.

The original dubs of the Dragon Ball movies, however... ._.
Aug 23, 2015 8:33 AM

May 2015
mayo chiki. nothing is right about kureha's voice.
Aug 23, 2015 8:34 AM

May 2015
and the date a live dub. origami sounds like a 30-year old woman and tohka sounds like a man.
was that a fandub?
mothersSPAGHETTIAug 23, 2015 8:40 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (11) « First ... « 9 10 [11]

More topics from this board

» What is a dub song from a children’s anime dub that you love the most?

funtime43_tr - Mar 9

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Mar 9, 9:42 AM

» Why do you like English dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

coolcat - Apr 27, 2010

325 by Edawg0066 »»
Jan 1, 10:57 PM

» English dub fan, what do you think of these Japanese dubs of American cartoons?

mdo7 - Aug 31, 2020

2 by mdo7 »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:43 PM

» What are your Top 5-10 Favorite English Dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KidRyan - Mar 14, 2009

261 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:55 AM

» In Defense of 4kids/New York voice actors.

funtime43_tr - Oct 25, 2022

1 by SwatKat1990 »»
Jan 18, 2023 5:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.