Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Is this anime underrated?
Apr 7, 2011 6:56 PM
Jul 2018
I won't get too much into this but I really want to know if anyone other than me feels this anime is underrated. I feel like it was overshadowed somewhat by many of the other new titles out there (I see you, Madoka and IS, hell throw Fractle and Freezing in there too).
Apr 7, 2011 7:24 PM

Mar 2011
Average series, lame ending. Not underrated at all imho.
Apr 7, 2011 7:27 PM

Jul 2010
no, it didn't really. gave the series a 7 in the end. It was OKAY. I agree that there we're better titles out there overshadowing it but there wasn't much to overshadow because the series in itself was not very good. it had a normal plot, normal characters, normal everything. it just didn't stand out at all.

What ticked me is that sentai had the gall to license this show when there are so much better shows out there that deserve it more than merry.
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Apr 7, 2011 8:40 PM

Jun 2008
Walpurgisnacht said:

Agreed.

If anything a 7.59 is ABOVE what it was....so....
Apr 7, 2011 9:26 PM

Aug 2008
i saw the first 3 episodes and dropped it, but everything that went on could've easily been predicted at least 5 minutes ahead. The episodes could make anyone fall asleep.
Apr 7, 2011 9:28 PM

Jun 2010
Well I really liked it, can't really explain why though.

Somehwat agreed on the ending but I pretty much liked all that was leading up to it.

Ended up giving it an 8.

The music was really nice...
Apr 7, 2011 10:33 PM

Feb 2010
It's average. There's really nothing about it that makes it unique, or even that interesting. I found that it became more generic and boring as it progressed, and that was a bullshit "willpower conquers all" ending.

So it's not underrated at all. In fact, I think it's overrated as it is.
Apr 7, 2011 10:37 PM
Feb 2011
alexcampos said:

Apr 7, 2011 11:06 PM

Aug 2009
Yeah, overrated show. I've yet to see the last 2 episodes, but so far it's been a complete snorefest...

Apr 8, 2011 6:50 AM

Jan 2010
The show's premise was interesting, but it was wasted in the end, like so many other series.
Apr 8, 2011 7:17 AM

Nov 2009
alexcampos said:
Walpurgisnacht said:

Agreed.

This pretty much.
Apr 8, 2011 8:29 AM

Oct 2008
The music made me want to tear my ears out.
It is so out of place and awkward...
For me, the soundtrack of an anime is important.
Add the fact that the plot is incoherent and you don't have a winner.

Too bad... the character designs were quite awesome.
Apr 8, 2011 10:02 AM

Mar 2011
Yes it is.
While it is not the BEST ANIME EVER!, it is still entertaining, and stay interresting despite cliches. Also the soundtrack and design are awesome.

As an introduction to the merryverse, this anime is really good; Without a next season, it would be average or worse.
But here, the show itself is entertaining, the characters likeable, the plot is faithful to the manga, and a sequel with the explainations for everything will be done. So it's good.

It is not the best anime of the 10 last years, but it should really be most well-know. But Madoka is everywhere stealing the spotlight for EVERY other serie..
willardhwrightApr 8, 2011 10:05 AM
Apr 8, 2011 10:45 AM

Oct 2009
I didn't think it was too bad, but it really went off from the manga. I thought there was a lot of potential, but it did end rather weak. Wouldn't say it was overrated or underrated. It is what it is.
Apr 8, 2011 10:49 AM

Nov 2008
grklein said:
The show's premise was interesting, but it was wasted in the end, like so many other series.

Its because like so many other adaptions it fails to adapt the manga , light novel , or visual novel properly , usually due to rushing and filler ~ this should have been 24 episodes just to cover 1-6 instead were stuck with 12-13 episode garbage
Apr 8, 2011 9:03 PM
Jan 2010
willardhwright said:
Yes it is.
As an introduction to the merryverse, this anime is really good; Without a next season, it would be average or worse.
But here, the show itself is entertaining, the characters likeable, the plot is faithful to the manga, and a sequel with the explainations for everything will be done. So it's good.
The plot is faithful to the manga? Are you sure you watched the same show I did? Because in the show I watched, JC Staff took the story and gave it some strange anime original ending.
Apr 9, 2011 2:45 AM

Mar 2011
lasercannon said:
willardhwright said:
Yes it is.
The plot is faithful to the manga? Are you sure you watched the same show I did? Because in the show I watched, JC Staff took the story and gave it some strange anime original ending.

Keep one thing in mind: adding something is different from changing something.
Adapting the manga without fillers was downright impossible; 24 episodes were needed in order to adapt 5 volumes.
They cannot do 24 episodes just because they want to and everyone will be okay. The TV stations and a lot of other actors have their requirements.
And we are talking about Merry. The manga is popular, but not a cult. It's not K-on or gundam.

Ultimately, Treesea is an extra, an omake.If you don't watch it and watch S2 instead, everything works well.
That's why it is faithful to the manga, like naruto, bleach, or a lot of other animes which are considered faithful by everyone despite their fillers parts.
Something not faithful would be something like Merry's identity revealed against Treesea, Heracles being killed by Treesea, John killed in episode 1-6, or whatever. Something that contradict the main story. They did an excellent job at avoiding this, and it's the most important part. They hadn't screwed the scenario. Treesea can exist in the manga without any contradiction (except for Yumeji in .the last episode)
willardhwrightApr 9, 2011 2:54 AM
Apr 9, 2011 3:02 AM

Nov 2008
^ I like your explanation dude. A lot of people here don't understand the difference and started bullshitting for deviating the manga XDD They should learn from you

and for the topic, it's somehow overrated. maybe it's because a lot of us here are expecting a second season. Hell, if they dont make a sequel, I would score it 4/10 not 7/10

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Apr 9, 2011 9:53 AM
Sep 2009
I would like to give it 7.5... but anyway, I gave it 8... average anime but not that poor
Apr 9, 2011 11:08 AM
Nov 2009
Just finished it.
Not underrated at all. actually it was kind of bad. Gave it a 5.
Apr 13, 2011 12:56 PM

Jan 2011
Underrated?

I'd say that giving it anymore than 5/10 is overrating it.
Apr 14, 2011 4:02 AM

Jun 2009
lol NO!

It's even a bit overrated since I think this deserves around 7.00 - 6.00 around there or something. What an awful finish.
Apr 27, 2011 1:50 AM

Sep 2007
I didn't even finish, and from all the bad reviews I've read, it seems like it's not worth finishing.

May 10, 2011 9:22 PM
Oct 2008
Well this anime could've easily reached a 10 on my list. But the rather complex story was cramped in lousy 13 episodes, Merry uses her "finishing blow" just one time, and that rather at the start of the series. And to top it all she used it not even against an actual enemy. And what was it with that keys? One will never know.
As said the main characters got weaker and weaker just to stay up in the last 10 minutes. And this is such an blasting huge cliffhanger, hell like 70% of the story seems still lacking. I mean WTF is with that Chaser dude? What's with Elcres? And how could he possibly send Merry back if just a glimpse of the problem is solved? And why was Merry there in the first place? And there are a lot more questions remaining. A LOT MORE.

Story Potential 10/10
Overall Execution 3/10

And that are barely the three basic points for animation and the likes. Nothing else. Not even a bit. Well maybe for trying in the first place.
Just putting that part of the story in a PROPER anime would've taken up at least the doubled 26 Episodes. It doesn't need to be stretched but it should be at least reasonable.

I still give this a 7. But it totally isn't underrated, while there could've been so many things done right they've done so many things wrong. Awful, really.

I hope for a proper second season or even more for a remake. As long as it isn't executed that shittily anymore. Hell it really annoys to me se potential being totally wasted like that.
Jun 15, 2011 2:24 PM

Apr 2011
This is just another screwup by J.C. Staff.
They take the plot of a good manga or light novel, only adapt half of it and throw in a bunch of original and unneeded crap.
I had really high hopes for this, especially since the manga is so good.
Let's hope that they don't mess up any of the upcoming summer titles, shall we?
Jun 16, 2011 2:44 PM

Apr 2011
Kaeyuki said:
This is just another screwup by J.C. Staff.
They take the plot of a good manga or light novel, only adapt half of it and throw in a bunch of original and unneeded crap.
I had really high hopes for this, especially since the manga is so good.
Let's hope that they don't mess up any of the upcoming summer titles, shall we?

This.

IT IS J.C. STAFF.

And J.C. Staff = ****

What more can you expect?

Pretty average and cliched.

I felt generous and gave it a 5/10.
Sep 8, 2011 12:06 PM

Mar 2011
It is, obviously, UnderRated.
Im wating the second season. I love the opening. ^^
Nov 1, 2011 9:13 AM
Oct 2011
... After my opinion, i found the plot of the anime very interesting, it was a new twist from the good ol' plain fighting anime, it acctually had some content that they ... well should have told more about as the anime got futher in... Since it didnt finish.. and got a rushed ending, the anime got pretty much destoryed. The series was Great after my opinion.. until the last episodes, where the produsers RUSHED like hell, and blew the hole story.. still i think the series was really good.... before they ruined it at the ending..
Nov 1, 2011 12:43 PM

Jun 2011
It's average score is over should be around 6.5
The manga is a hell of alot better go read that instead.
Othinus
Touma
Pairing

http://hestia.dance/
Nov 1, 2011 12:48 PM

Jun 2009
this series just plain boring... 6/10 from me
Jul 8, 2014 11:39 PM

Dec 2013
I say it's underrated.

I never read the manga, and actually had my doubts about even watching it to begin with because of all the negative reviews. But, on a whim, I decided to watch it recently(years later because of the negativity I kept seeing); and I must say it was really good.

I ended up dropping my score to a 7 because of the ending and lack of a second season, but I still believe that it's underrated simply because I see so much negativity thrown about in reviews and these threads. I see no reason for the hate, but then again my opinion is that of an anime only fan. Maybe I will look into the "Merryverse" later, and maybe it will change my opinion, maybe. That's a lot of maybe's, however, but for now these are my thoughts.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Sep 20, 2014 12:18 PM
Jun 2011
Nah.. not underrated just bad.. Interesting premise, nice art & animation but that's it. Honestly it was pretty boring in spite the fact it really shouldn't be. I don't know how to put it, it felt empty & I had a hard time getting through the whole thing although I really wanted to see the show at 1st so if somebody tells me the manga is WAY BETTER I'll believe it & if thats underrated well I know why

Also very irritating with the teacher deal. The fucker isn't strong just a power less human who's RIGHT THERE at least try to kick his ass I'm pretty sure if he's down his Muma won't surrvive
LuciusMadgloomSep 20, 2014 2:23 PM
Dec 3, 2014 12:16 AM

Feb 2010
layfonkun said:
I won't get too much into this but I really want to know if anyone other than me feels this anime is underrated. I feel like it was overshadowed somewhat by many of the other new titles out there (I see you, Madoka and IS, hell throw Fractle and Freezing in there too).

read the manga
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Feb 1, 2016 9:30 PM

Jul 2014
Meh/boring at best.
Feb 4, 2016 1:25 PM

Feb 2011
the adaptation was horrible, on multiple levels, it deserves much less than 7 as average score
the manga on the other hand is very good, it didn't deserve an adaptation like this one

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yumekui Merry Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kuro4735 - Jan 6, 2011

189 by Limi »»
Jan 6, 5:20 AM

Poll: » Yumekui Merry Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

stevewiess01 - Apr 7, 2011

180 by waalex11 »»
Sep 12, 2023 8:12 PM

Poll: » Yumekui Merry Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Blackbird - Mar 31, 2011

82 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 10, 2023 6:25 PM

Poll: » Yumekui Merry Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Mar 24, 2011

97 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 10, 2023 5:42 PM

Poll: » Yumekui Merry Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

stevewiess01 - Mar 3, 2011

86 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 10, 2023 4:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.