3It was OK
7.5%
2Disliked it
1.3%
1Hated it
0.9%
Average 4.5
1,039 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 27, 2011 8:50 AM

Mar 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Another SoulTaker-like depressing episode just like the last episode. Now, we're facing with lemming-style mass-suicide attempt by a group of zombies.. -_-

On the other hand, it looks like Madoka will form a friendship with Homura, who seems to be replacing Mami-san's role.

If you have seen the cover of the Madoka MagicaOP and ED theme, you'll realize this is the way to go

Anyway, congratulation to Sayaka! :D You have just become another Mahou Shoujo!~~ (oh well, it looks like she used Qyube's wish to cure her boyfriend's arm, so he can play music again..)

Oh btw, we have a new character, Sakura Kyouko. Here's her picture. :p
kuroshiroiFeb 3, 2011 4:22 PM

Jan 27, 2011 8:57 AM

Jun 2009
So is Mami never coming back to life? ;_;
Jan 27, 2011 8:57 AM
Jan 2010
Death clock theory is proven to be true once again.

Jan 27, 2011 9:01 AM

Apr 2008
Sayaka was pretty badass for the few minutes she was on. The thing we don't know is if Kamijou likes that his arm is ok.
Yay for new character, Sakura Kyouko. But she was with Kyubey. Something funny is going on here -_-.
Jan 27, 2011 9:06 AM

Mar 2010
metalsnakezero said:
Sayaka was pretty badass for the few minutes she was on. The thing we don't know is if Kamijou likes that his arm is ok.
Yay for new character, Sakura Kyouko. But she was with Kyubey. Something funny is going on here -_-.

Who knows? Perhaps, Sakura is behind everything and Kyubey is just her familiar... o_o

Jan 27, 2011 9:06 AM
Mar 2010
I don't like how Kyuubei is always conveniently there. Hm. Oh well, new character. And pretty good episode.
Jan 27, 2011 9:07 AM

Dec 2007
So, it seems that there is indeed a price to pay for getting your wish granted, as it was indicated by Homura this episode. I can't wait to get some backstory on her, but I guess it'll take at least around 3 episodes until we get to that point in the story.

And, poor Sayaka, she most likely just threw her life away for that kid who doesn't seem to care all that much about her in any case. Her entrance this episode was great though. :3

Looking forward to Kyouko next week! ^_^
Jan 27, 2011 9:07 AM

Jun 2009
I also wonder if Madoka would be able to make it to the end of this series alive...
Jan 27, 2011 9:15 AM
Jan 2010
Kyuubey needed a new magical girl to watch the town, so he recruited Kyouko. But since Sayaka made the contract, they are likely going to fight over the territory now.
Jan 27, 2011 9:20 AM

Jan 2010
This is definitely shaping up to be like Faust. Uroubuchi Gen does not disappoint when it comes to adapting popular western media into his own twisted stories.

The OP/ED are definitely well placed. The change of pace from the cheerful and light OP to the dark ED is definitely proper of this series. Completely unlike Sora no Woto which had the serious parts coupled with a cheerful ending which ruined everything.
desolatoJan 30, 2011 2:31 PM
Ok™
Jan 27, 2011 9:33 AM

Oct 2010
Sayaka is definitely going to be my favorite and that's because she is a knight!
Girls who are knights are so not common IRL and so in anime they are quite fun, especially since Saber times from Fate Night Stay.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jan 27, 2011 9:51 AM
Jan 2010
Some quick translations I did. Also, the witch's name is Elly.

This one, and the shadow-animal thing that appeared in episode 2 appear to be familiars of the witch of Darkness, Suleika.

trappedinthevoidJan 27, 2011 5:53 PM
Jan 27, 2011 10:11 AM

Nov 2008
Depressing episode

Sayaka's outfit is so Tales of, she's quite good as well but doesn't top Mami by even a mile. A female magical knight is nice though.

Sakura seems to be tsundere as well and may fight Sayaka over territory.

Jan 27, 2011 10:23 AM

Aug 2009

I like her.
desolatoJan 30, 2011 2:32 PM
Jan 27, 2011 12:17 PM
Jul 2009
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm beginning to wonder why this show is called MAHOU SHOUJO Madoka Magica, because I have yet to see Madoka become a frickin' magical girl. I heard this show is supposed to be only 12-13 episodes (god I hope that's wrong) and Madoka still has yet to become a f**king MS after 4 episodes? Wtf! Okay, becoming a mahou shoujo is a big deal, we get it!! But seriously, enough is enough! If she's not a mahou shoujo by the fifth episode, I'm done with this anime. It's reaaaally bugging me.
Jan 27, 2011 12:32 PM

Oct 2010
kyubei is so evil kyubei is sooo evil Dx
Jan 27, 2011 12:52 PM
Jan 2010
eizeral said:
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm beginning to wonder why this show is called MAHOU SHOUJO Madoka Magica, because I have yet to see Madoka become a frickin' magical girl. I heard this show is supposed to be only 12-13 episodes (god I hope that's wrong) and Madoka still has yet to become a f**king MS after 4 episodes? Wtf! Okay, becoming a mahou shoujo is a big deal, we get it!! But seriously, enough is enough! If she's not a mahou shoujo by the fifth episode, I'm done with this anime. It's reaaaally bugging me.

Uhh... Madoka is fucking terrified of being a magical girl right now. Why would she become one so soon?
Jan 27, 2011 1:00 PM

Nov 2008
shuncchi said:
kyubei is so evil kyubei is sooo evil Dx

Oh man I can't wait for Kyubei to die (I never seen such evil from a cute creature not to mention the telepathy, it's like he's peering into your soul much less your mind), I hope there's a carcass of him to see at the end and Madoka and Sayaka don't go all Precure on him.

Jan 27, 2011 1:10 PM
Jan 2009
eizeral said:

Even without being able to transform she showed some major bravery in this episode.

She followed her friend with no one to help her. When she realized what the zombie people were going to do she grabbed the bucket and took care of the situation. When they turned on her she did not scream shrilly for help and freeze. She was trembling and making scared noises but she kept on moving until she was able to get out of there. It was not until the witch directly attacked her that she lost it.

Jan 27, 2011 1:15 PM

Apr 2008
eizeral said:

I think when she does turn in to a magical girl, it would be at some major point as some of the character suspect that her powers are just too great. Also she is at a state of question if it is a good idea to become one right after what happen from last episode.
Jan 27, 2011 3:55 PM

Apr 2007
Nice transitional episode. I like how they're not pushing the pace too severely at this point. Also worth noting that at one point the narrative (at least from Sayaka's perspective) took place from an undefined future time and pretty much signals what we all knew -- that things are going downhill from here. Thanks, of course, to that little white pusher who knows just when to show up at a moment of weakness.

I'm slightly curious if the cover of that Mahler CD that Sayaka brought in was real or created just for this episode. If real and could be tied to Symphony No. 8, that would be very interesting.
Jan 27, 2011 5:10 PM

Oct 2010
One thing is clear in this episode, Kyuubei is evil and getting closer to having his cover blown. From here on I will open multi discussion points in paragraph form so each point can be addressed separately.

Starting with Madoka, it's obvious her suffering was made clear on many occasions such as suddenly crying at the table eating with her family, crying with Sayaka, even at Mami's place when she visits and with the serious conversation with Homura. They even emphasized at how empty she feels through showing how empty Mami's place is. Now what does that mean? I believe that they are going for the route of Madoka has mass pileup of emotions within her at the peak of those emotions she is going to transform into a Mahou Shoujo. Resulting in using her feelings to create a very powerful Soul Gem. In anime magic and feelings were always shown as being more powerhouses. Notice how Mami's feelings played into creating a decent large Soul Gem.

Kyuubei and why he is evil more than before? It's obvious that this part has to do with Kamijo and Sayaka. These are mere assumption but make not mistake they are not stupid to assume. I accuse Kyuubei of 2 things, 1.Escalating Kamijo's frustrations with his telepathy (it can be used to mind control also and is not limited to only mind speaking). 2. Making his hand damaged more through escalating blow up of sudden anger enough to break Kamijo's CD player while in the process damaging his hand and big blood splash, which added to the drama. Guess who is observing the drama? Why it's Kyuubey! Apart from that I liked Sayaka's pose and is that a Beethoven reference?

Next point is the witch herself. Now it's obvious that the message that is sent has something to do with suicide being led by evil itself. That's rather interesting because Japan has a problem with suicides since a while now. Although I think Hitomi is cute, she is nonetheless marked by a witch and the symbol looks like some nicotine patch. I think the biggest mistake anyone evil person can do is mass people gathering that attracts attention. Especially in a isolated place like a sea port at night. I know this method of suicide, it's meant to create fumes that will kill you. Good thing Madoka remembered what her mom told her and threw the bucket out the window.

Witch's world. At first it freaked me out in the spoiler
that Madoka was being separated like that because I though she was going to die somehow since those weird angel dolls were tearing her apart. It's possible they were once humans turned into that, anyone who has seen Melody of Oblivion knows what I am talking about. Anyways they are strange. It looks like that witch can peer into your mind and show you your memories. That would mean the witches like the devil know your weakness through your memories and if witches are magical girls turned bad guess who turned them into Magical Girls that these witch developed devil powers? Kyuubey! Guess this witch's world can distort Madoka into other matter like rubber kind of, which brings me to the witch herself in thje spoiler after Sayaka is done with her
looks to me like some human matter fused together. Rather a disgusting mutation.

All in all the witch itself was some witch that needed human sacrifices through suicide to be those dolls. Its world is gravity free with horse merry-go-rounds and TVs strangely enough. I am not sure the meanings of those TVs other than peering devices possibly connecting though TVs of the human world. Other things Sayaka looks splendid,

her powers are rather interesting since she has high agility and might be able to project slash waves that are blue. I like her hero getup. So I guess the wish comes through right away since Kamijo's hand got healed. Although I think it might not be permanent. I also like the new girl because she has that nice fang when she opens her mouth. She reminds me of a certain character from a anime but can't remember who. Oh, I laughed at the end picture. Other interesting were the shadow effect used during Madoka talking with Homura. Long rambling but I hope some things might clear up or at the very least more discussions open of my conversation, don't forget to use spoilers to not make long ass texts as a reminder. MODs hate that BTW.
Yumekichi11Jan 28, 2011 1:45 AM

Jan 27, 2011 5:17 PM
Jul 2008
well, RIP sayaka in advance. can I ?
Jan 27, 2011 5:26 PM
Aug 2010
I loved this episode. The story and setting becomes darker with each episode.
Jan 27, 2011 5:30 PM

Apr 2007
Yumekichi11 said:
and is that a Beethoven reference?
That's Elias Gottlob Haussmann's famous portrait of Bach.

Yumekichi11 said:
All in all the witch itself was some witch that needed human sacrifices
Was this an actual witch or a minion/helper? No grief seed that I saw in the aftermath, plus to date the witches always have a stop-frame shot introducing them with their names in runes.
Jan 27, 2011 5:34 PM

Nov 2008
I'm still hoping Mami to be revived... I don't care if she turns into a witch, I just want her back T_____T

I'm also surprised that not a lot of people are getting angry or annoyed about Madoka not being so brave enough to become a mahou shoujo. Girls have different treatment than male leads eh. Sucks to be them xDD

I wonder why Hitomi became an emo.. perhaps she was jealous with the yuri xDD

PS: Kyuubei is really creeping me out... Usually creatures like Kyuubei are generally cute and fluffy... Kyuubei seemed to worsen Kyousuke's condition to make Sayaka a mahou shoujo?x.x
DenjaXJan 27, 2011 5:48 PM

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jan 27, 2011 5:35 PM

Oct 2009
I enjoyed watching Madoka explode/getting tore appart for some reason?

I think Sayaka is going to die sooner or later, pretty sure.

And after Sayaka dies Madoka makes the contract.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2011 5:45 PM
Jul 2008
DoubleDango said:
I think Sayaka is going to die sooner or later, pretty sure.

And after Sayaka dies Madoka makes the contract.

and wish to reset everything (in order to bring back mami and sayaka, probably) ???
Jan 27, 2011 5:46 PM

Apr 2008
I wonder if this witch was Mami. It knows what Madoka's thoughts was and really did go after her. But this is just a theory.

I heard that Sayaka and Kyoko will be facing each other soon so I expect some crazy battle between them.

Its interesting that Madoka's feelings may end up creating a soul gem which could save up her wish and using it for a big moment in the end.
Jan 27, 2011 5:50 PM

Jun 2009
A pretty depressing episode and couldn't help but feel sad for Madoka who is taking Mami's death very hard, i do like that fact that even if she is terrified of whats happening but it didn't change her from making rational choices.

Sayaka was pretty cool as a magical girl however i found the scene after she defeated the witch when it goes back to the boy in the hospital it was very ominous and i feel their is something more with those wishes that kyuuby isn't mentioning or is straight up hiding.

I am liking Homura more and more, she seem to care about Madoka in her own way and i believe their was a hint of sadness when she faced Sayaka who became a magical girl despite seeing Mami's brutal death. I do hope for some more background on her.

New girls looks interesting enough and I do believe Kyuuby is evil and i hope his true colors are seen soon.
Jan 27, 2011 5:54 PM

Sep 2007
I just seriously hope Madoka isn't going to emo for the majority of the series.
Jan 27, 2011 5:59 PM

Aug 2009
DenjaX said:

I'm also surprised that not a lot of people are getting angry or annoyed about Madoka not being so brave enough to become a mahou shoujo. Girls have different treatment than male leads eh. Sucks to be them xDD

I think that might be because of the whole "I just saw the person I looked up to get her head ripped off and devoured" thing. I would probably think twice about it too.
Jan 27, 2011 6:05 PM

Nov 2010
Amazing episode. I am very happy that Madoka had the sense not to make a contract with the devil. Also, I agree with endtime:

Kyubey is so evil...
Jan 27, 2011 6:14 PM

Sep 2009
Kyubey is disturbing indeed...
Jan 27, 2011 6:16 PM

Jul 2010

I also agree Sayaka-chan is done for.
Jan 27, 2011 6:19 PM

Oct 2010
Iri said:
Yumekichi11 said:
All in all the witch itself was some witch that needed human sacrifices
Was this an actual witch or a minion/helper? No grief seed that I saw in the aftermath, plus to date the witches always have a stop-frame shot introducing them with their names in runes.
That's interesting mention I did not think about. Could be a familiar to bring more minions to the actual witch. BTW not all witches carry Grief seeds, it was mentioned before. Thanks for that reference
DenjaX said:
Kyuubei seemed to worsen Kyousuke's condition to make Sayaka a mahou shoujo?x.x
He did because (Under the assumption that Kyuubey is the devil) the devil can use deceivement to play its role upon situation changes.
DoubleDango said:
I think Sayaka is going to die sooner or later, pretty sure. And after Sayaka dies Madoka makes the contract.
I do think Sayaka might die because she does not seem to have a mastery of her powers so someone attacking soon will be the end of her but it goes back to my theory of taking the emotional peak route, in other words mass power infusion into the Soul Gem at mass critical amount of emotional storage.
pepperjackpimp said:
I believe their was a hint of sadness when she faced Sayaka who became a magical girl despite seeing Mami's brutal death. I do hope for some more background on her.
I sensed that too.
garfield15 said:
True that fear and sadness are factors that are still holding her back but I think she will have to get over it. Guess maybe a second death is needed.

Jan 27, 2011 6:20 PM

Apr 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
One thing is clear in this episode, Kyuubei is evil and getting closer to having his cover blown. From here on I will open multi discussion points in paragraph form so each point can be addressed separately.
You mentioned that he could become evil during the episode 2 discussion topic and after observing his reactions in episode 3 i thought he could be evil.
This episode confirmed it for me.
I am just wondering what is his objective what does he gain from magical girl and what does he gain if one of them where to die.
I mean his reaction at Mami's death was like he was expecting it he showed no signs of emotions at that point only when the witch was heading for them.
Then there is also the question of where do this witches come from they could even be magical girls gone bad, like rogue agents.

Yumekichi11 said:
Starting with Madoka, it's obvious her suffering was made clear on many occasions such as suddenly crying at the table eating with her family, crying with Sayaka, even at Mami's place when she visits and with the serious conversation with Homura. They even emphasized at how empty she feels through.
Like i said last week i think her wish will be to revive Mami or at least involve her since Madoka is very emotionally attached to her and because of her promise.
She was in deep shock last episode after Mami's death and she is very emotional now.

Yumekichi11 said:
Next point is the witch herself. Now it's obvious that the message that is sent has something to do with suicide being led by evil itself. That's rather interesting because Japan has a problem with suicides since a while now. Although I think Hitomi is cute, she is nonetheless marked by a witch and the symbol looks like some nicotine patch. I think the biggest mistake anyone evil person can do is mass people gathering that attracts attention. Especially in a isolated place like a sea port at night. I know this method of suicide, it's meant to create fumes that will kill you. Good thing Madoka remembered what her mom told her and threw the bucket out the window.
Japan has the highest suicide rate in the world.
And i heard that group suicides happens there pretty often tho this is not something unique to Japan i heard of such a case ones before here in Europe.
Only ones tho.
The strange things about this group suicides is that either they tend to be a cult or they are complete strangers that meat on the internet to make arrangements for such suicides.

Using Chlorine gas as a suicide tool doesn't seem like a pleasant death tho it's rather effective.

Yumekichi11 said:

Her powers are rather interesting since she has high agility and might be able to project slash waves that are blue. I like her hero getup. So I guess the wish comes through right away since Kamijo's hand got healed. Although I think it might not be permanent. I also like [
I didn't like Kamijo's expression like you mentioned he was either brainwashed or working together with Kyuubei judging be his expression.
And how will he explain that miracle recovery since medical science cant cure it.

Like you mentioned the Beethoven reference was nice but ten seconds latter they made a Debussy reference who was also a great composer.
Which actually a pretty good reference at that scene as the music Debussy wroth was strongly depended on his emotions and state of mind.
Resulting in pieces that could be very calm and joyful and other being very wild and aggressive.
Which actually described that scene pretty well.
AversaJan 27, 2011 6:28 PM
Jan 27, 2011 6:22 PM

May 2009
Not seeing no Mami again... (well it makes sense I would not jump on the train of wanting to be a magical girl after seeing that.) I see that we are +1 Magical Girl to fight against the demons of hell. Uh oh... I have a bad feeling where this is going to go...

I like how Sayaka's Magical Girl outfit is more of a Knight outfit. She is that boys knight for giving him his fingers the ability to move again. I am sure he is not going to be grateful for it just like a man. Either that or it's all gonna go wrong~~ (I wonder if Sayaka tried to tell him in some way it sounded like she was going to ask him....)
Jan 27, 2011 6:30 PM

Jul 2009
KYUBEY IS SATAN

Never would I ever think that I'd see the day when the protagonist is smart enough not to want magical powers. Not like Shinji who simply refused them because he wanted to be wangsty to his dad, but because the option was availablie and she simply said no...
Jan 27, 2011 6:32 PM

Oct 2010
Detective said:
KYUBEY IS SATAN
According to Faust, which this anime takes reference from, he is more Mephistopheles.

Jan 27, 2011 6:33 PM

Apr 2010
so who else cant wait to see how Sayaka's wish goes terribly wrong? im betting on the kid commiting suicide or cutting his hand off...

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Jan 27, 2011 6:50 PM

Oct 2009
My heart sank when I realized that Sayaka made the contract and became a Puella Magi. :c We all knew it was going to happen, but still. I hope she doesn't end up like Mami. I wonder if Homura is going to take Sayaka and Madoka (whenever she makes the contract) under her wing and teach them to fight or something.
Jan 27, 2011 6:53 PM

Apr 2008
After watching again and listening to what Kyoko has to say is pretty much setting up a fight between her and Sayaka, and one that is unavoidable. Also she was very interested in taking over this city meaning something about it must hold dear to the magical girls in general.
metalsnakezeroJan 27, 2011 6:59 PM
Jan 27, 2011 6:57 PM

Feb 2008
BEST SHOW THIS SEASON
Jan 27, 2011 6:59 PM

Oct 2009
desolatoJan 30, 2011 2:35 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2011 7:01 PM

Nov 2010
Veronin said:
BEST SHOW THIS SEASON

i completely agree
Jan 27, 2011 7:03 PM

May 2010
I want to see what happens to Sayaka's story I wish that I could see the next sooooo bad!
Real Hell is inside a person-Ai Enma (Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae)
Do you know where hell is? Inside your head-Chrona (Soul Eater)

Jan 27, 2011 7:15 PM

May 2010
So we will get Sayaka Vs Kyoko next week.
Seems interesting.
After this ep, I disliked Kyubey for some reason.
Jan 27, 2011 7:19 PM
Feb 2009
50 bucks that playing the violin is the last thing that kid will do after getting his hands back. The scene at the end was simply too dark for it to be a "good" recovery.
Jan 27, 2011 7:19 PM

Jan 2011
I thoght madoka would have wished mami back right away (also I like Mami) although her hesitatetion goes with the more serious feel of the show, so I won't complain. Also Sayaka is going to get her ass kicked by kyouko soon.
geasscommanderJan 27, 2011 7:23 PM
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.