Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 7, 2013 6:33 PM
Mar 2011
Aji Tae ate the King, so technically he wasn't killed but consumed, his existence continues inside the antagonist, as for most sudden deaths it exemplifies perfectly Aji Tae's despair, didn't think anything through, just destroyed everything and condemned himself. Munsu strength from the beginning was being smart, outwitting his enemy trumped everything.

Mod edit: removed a spoiler
koleareDec 9, 2013 11:50 AM
Oct 19, 2014 9:13 AM

Dec 2011
My main issue with the story had to do with all the pointless characters and jumbled themes. For example, Bang Ja was barely relevant and seemed to exist solely for the sake of being Munsu's pal. Chun isn't even a footnote - I mean sure she's a dragon or something, but her character was pretty flat.

The villain with the hat who flies around - his hat is the most memorable part about him. That blonde woman who studied under Munsu was there to... show that Munsu would be missed? The muscled guy who fought with the revived hero near the end. Both of those characters pretty much cancel each other out.

Then there's 'However much it is soiled by the earth, snow is still white.' I assume this had something to do with Chun being a monster/converting to Aji Tae, demons with human forms, dead people not staying dead, Aji Tae messing with Munsu's perception of his identity, and wanting to turn humanity into demons.

What was the relevance, though? Did he just do all of that to mess with Munsu's philosophy? He was interesting because he was enigmatic and didn't give off an air of villainy at all, but partway through he turned into a generic psychopath with an NTR fetish.

Then there are the unexplained plot elements (or plot holes); why did he give Munsu the mahai? Why did people believe that Munsu was responsible for the king's death? What was the point behind the soldiers who wanted to sate their lust for battle and ended up as assassins? There are a bunch of dangling loose ends which should've never been there, sigh
Apr 13, 2015 9:08 PM
Feb 2011
Pretty predictable last half of the series. The main villain was EXTREMELY cliche. He had his hand in everything and knew pretty much everything that was going to happen. Even the Sando turning to Ajo's side and the stupid way she was woken up from it all was extremely cliche.
Apr 13, 2015 9:18 PM

Nov 2010
I was pretty disappointed, it could have been way better, so generic and boring.
Sep 5, 2015 8:40 AM

Oct 2014
It was fantastic up until the Hwalbindang story arc.Mandrake Dreams was still good,but after that in went downhill faster than Germany 1945. It was still a good read though,like I said the first half is just fantastic,but the ending left me disappointed.
Oct 19, 2016 6:21 PM

Jan 2015
Like the user above, I loved everything before the mandrake dreams arc. Then came an excessively long and tedious flashbac, mostly due to the reader already knowing way too much about the outcome.
The biggest flaw of this manga was its very inconsistent villain. As long as he remained a looming shady menace, Aji Tae was fine. But the more layers got added to his character, usually through incomprehensible and vague dialogues, the more convoluted and unfocused he became. How many times did he have the occasion to end Munsu's life without a sweat, yet didn't act on it ? He claims to have no sense of right or wrong, yet reverts to basic shonen tropes whenever it's convenient for the overall plot. These are mostly symptoms of the author failing to keep reign on a completely overpowered villain.

A very good first half, a disappointing second half and an underwhelming ending.

More topics from this board

» I want to read this

Stormen - Mar 4, 2021

2 by removed-user »»
Oct 7, 2021 6:25 AM

Poll: » Shin Angyo Onshi Chapter 1 Discussion

Beatnik - Feb 7, 2009

12 by cchigu »»
Apr 8, 2020 2:08 AM

» When does it start getting good?

ninja666 - Feb 7, 2018

6 by AironicallyHuman »»
Mar 24, 2018 8:46 PM

Poll: » Shin Angyo Onshi Chapter 66 Discussion

joe_g7 - Nov 21, 2016

1 by Doctor_Pepper »»
Dec 29, 2017 4:42 AM

Poll: » Shin Angyo Onshi Chapter 56 Discussion

ExoticBankai - Jun 16, 2016

2 by Danae »»
Dec 7, 2017 3:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.