3It was OK
25.0%
2Disliked it
0.0%
1Hated it
16.7%
Average 3.6
12 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2011 9:26 AM

Oct 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I liked the series a lot overall, but the ending kind of pissed me off.

Why does Joe suddenly leave on his own for no reason at the end after all they've been through? And why does Sana happily part after becoming pretty attached to him? It makes no sense and is not supported at all.
Apr 30, 2011 4:03 AM
Mar 2011
I felt the same way. Maybe in the end it was just a way for them to stick Jo's character development into our faces. To be honest I always wondered why he followed Jin around the entire time. Maybe with Jin gone, Jo no longer needed to rely on anyone since he found something he wanted to do in life.

All in all though I really wish he stuck with the crew. Shiba was sick as hell and like you said Sana did become pretty attached to him.
Jan 2, 2012 10:39 PM

Jul 2011
The ending actually disappointed me a little, as well as Jin's betrayal. I kept thinking that Jin would come around in the end, that it was all an elaborate plot for him to actually help Jo and the others. When the episodes came closer to the conclusion, I accepted the fact that Jin was a selfish person and that he wasn't going back. That pissed me off since I actually liked his character, I thought that Jin and Jo made the perfect duo team :`(
"It is the emptiness that make the stars bright."

"If you've known pain and hardship, it is easier to be kind to others."
Feb 15, 2012 7:09 AM

Jun 2009
Murbella said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I liked the series a lot overall, but the ending kind of pissed me off.

Why does Joe suddenly leave on his own for no reason at the end after all they've been through? And why does Sana happily part after becoming pretty attached to him? It makes no sense and is not supported at all.

Joe is supposed to be without emotional or egoistical attachment, so he's basically indifferent and that's how supposedly he's able to ride the modified gladiator without busting his brain nervous system out.
One of the problem with this series is character development, and when it comes to Joe, the turned-out-to-be main hero - we simply know nothing about him at all.
Feb 15, 2012 7:23 AM

Jun 2009
snackxmachine said:
The ending actually disappointed me a little, as well as Jin's betrayal. I kept thinking that Jin would come around in the end, that it was all an elaborate plot for him to actually help Jo and the others. When the episodes came closer to the conclusion, I accepted the fact that Jin was a selfish person and that he wasn't going back. That pissed me off since I actually liked his character, I thought that Jin and Jo made the perfect duo team :`(

I think this series built up a great deal of expectations that wasn't met in the end. There were enough intrigue and suspense during the middle sequence, but towards the end the momentum was lost. The characters weren't developed quite enough and the plot itself doesn't seem quite original - it's like a shorter and simplistic version of Soukou No Strain. The Jin and Jo twist was just a distraction from an otherwise plain plotline. Overall it was fairly ok but I think we all feel a bit disappointed with the ending I suppose.
Jan 9, 2013 9:50 PM

Nov 2011
Ah, it's over. Such a shame this is an underrated series. The finale concluded everything well with the leader of the Phantom defeated. Finally. Anyways, I did not like Jin's character throughout the series but loved the first half and most of the second half. The other characters were pretty fun to watch as well.

In the finale, it did seem somewhat confusing in the latter half so I might have to re watch that regarding the seven children along with Sana. At any rate, it was a nice series overall imo. 8/10. Hope for a season 2.
Jul 7, 2014 10:55 PM

Aug 2010
So it was nice, but I really don't understand why, after everything that they have gone through, would Jo decide to leave Sana's side? Why is Sana alright with this?
Also, what the hell was Jin's true motive? Was he jealous of Jo? In love with him? Hated him? I can't figure it out.
Mar 14, 2018 6:05 AM

May 2007
This show ended up a lot better than I would have assumed after the plain first episode.

Jin's betrayal was never fully explained would be my one big gripe of the show, but what we saw of Jin before and after it, it was not too far out of left field.

Let Joe go out on his own and live life for a bit guys, he will come back.

7/10 for me.
My anime list
Dec 13, 2020 9:32 AM

Aug 2008
I think the show was too much like the gladiator pilots were supposed to be, flat and emotionless. Characters felt so lifeless and not much too them.

So did those out of control robots just wipe out a city of people and its just shrugged like nothing? Those super hurricanes just a throway plot device to have a lame reasoning to get the plot moving? World building was garbage.
Feb 7, 2021 11:19 AM

Aug 2007
That's it? Both Jin and Jo's motive were somewhat unclear until the end. If I'm being honest, Shiba did more heroic deeds than Jo. Still, we can't discredit the fact that Jo is the only one capable of disabling that red Gladiator, and that he saved Sana in the airplane.

It's too bad for Jin.. his life got messed up the moment he joined the Phantom.

I was waiting for Goro, the comic relief of the series, to indulge on a hot meal, but till the end he was only seen with a bar of chocolate, lol.

Overall, it's not that terrible, but it has potential to be better. Character development plays a huge role in my ratings, and sadly this one lacked it.
もろともに
哀れと思へ
山桜

花より外に
知る人もなし.

On a mountain slope,
Solitary, uncompanioned,
Stands a cherry tree.

Except for you, lonely friend,
To others I am unknown.

Jun 1, 2023 6:32 AM

Dec 2022
Leaving Sana at the mercy of her two deranged kidnappers isn't the most astute decision Jo could've came to, especially when they're a pirate and a Phantom agent. I do, however, understand that reasonable decision making isn't at the forefront of the minds of any of the characters in this anime.

Innocent Venus is watchable, and that's the nicest thing I can say about it. You can start it, and you can finish it. The characters, soundtrack, animation, storytelling and atmosphere are all mediocre and absent of any depth or personality. On the other hand, none of them are atrocious either, so watching this is like licking a cardboard box — in that while it doesn't necessarily taste bad, you don't gain anything from doing it.

Shaded Horizon

Apr 12, 5:42 PM

Aug 2017
It was a good ending, at least there's no cliffhanger, I expected a better ending though, Joe should've stayed with them, or if he left it should've been a second season where a new threat appear and he return to a an adult Sana, well that's what we got, also Jin's ending wasn't good, I thought he'll be saved in the end after he come to his senses,
Overall I enjoyed watching it, the art-style and the OST were great, I'll give it an 8.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Innocent Venus Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2013

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 6, 6:11 PM

Poll: » Innocent Venus Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2013

6 by Dekom »»
Apr 5, 6:03 PM

Poll: » Innocent Venus Episode 9 Discussion

meneope - Feb 11, 2012

6 by Dekom »»
Apr 4, 6:05 PM

Poll: » Innocent Venus Episode 8 Discussion

kittygoesmad - Aug 18, 2009

5 by Dekom »»
Apr 3, 5:59 PM

Poll: » Innocent Venus Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2013

4 by Dekom »»
Apr 2, 5:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.