Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2011 9:15 PM

Aug 2009
Detective said:
this thread:
OH NO THIS ANIME IS A MAHOU SHOUJO I ONLY WATCH SHOUNEN

Actually, I haven't seen that much hate in this thread yet.
Jan 6, 2011 9:41 PM

Jul 2009
DEFINITELY SHAFT
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Jan 6, 2011 10:01 PM

Jul 2010
Detective said:
this thread:
OH NO THIS ANIME IS A MAHOU SHOUJO I ONLY WATCH SHOUNEN

the other half of this thread:
JIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I AM IN THE JIZZ FACTION 10.5/10 + 1 SHAFT

I ONLY WATCH SHOUNEN AND MADOKA SO YEAH
Jan 6, 2011 10:07 PM

Aug 2010
Early days but i enjoyed that episode a lot. Looks and sounds great as you'd expect from Shaft, I wish they'd thought of a more unique way to properly introduce Kyubey to the girls, that bit was almost a carbon copy of Lyrical Nanoha.

Anyway, if the story is good i think we could be in for something pretty special here.
Jan 6, 2011 10:13 PM

Apr 2009
It's like SHAFT just went ahead and duct taped Bakemonogatari to Hidamari Sketch. Not sure if want... or care. Still though, 3/5 for the episode, and half-decent for a SHAFT production.
Jan 6, 2011 10:20 PM

Apr 2010
Mahou Shoujo, the genre that don't really mixes well with me.. but since Shinbou is behind this one I'll give this a try..

so far as soon as I saw some background art I was already smiling, as I can say for sure that Shaft is already in the air.. the buildings are definitely styled like in Bakemonogatari which I really loved so that's a plus already..

the highlight of the episode didn't disappoint with the dream-like battle scene getting the appropriate Shaft treatment of weird collages.. and I've got to say that that UNLIMITED MUSKET WOKRS at the end was AWESOME!! that's saying a lot becuse of my negative affinity with Mahou Shoujo..

overall first impression looks good, and seems like the show will take a more darker side which is I am really thankful for..
Jan 6, 2011 10:22 PM

Oct 2009
OMG, I was about to say it some what reminded me of Saya no Uta; the cute girl juxtaposed with the trippy background thing and I find out it's written by Urobuchi Gen!

OMG an other reason for me to go OMG on this show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2011 10:54 PM

Nov 2010
well, i guess i'll watch it, i'm not feeling to strong towards liking or hating this one, though as grandad freeman said "i think they're on drugs"
Jan 6, 2011 10:55 PM

Oct 2008
Wow!
I seriously wasn't expecting this at all after seeing the previews. I thought this was going to be some girly show but no...it's a very good cool show!

I love the art a lot and the music too!
Madoka is so cute!
Jan 6, 2011 10:58 PM

Nov 2007
lol this episode doesn't run 2 seconds before "SHAFT wuz here" gets written across the screen. i'm glad they've dropped the 'ankle to eyeline' camera pans in favour of a much more vibrant artistic sense :)
the masochist says "hurt me! hurt me!" the sadist replies "no"
Jan 6, 2011 11:00 PM

Sep 2009
"Madoka Magica is about a normal teenage girl who is living a completely normal school life when she and her normal friend suddenly get attacked by the Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei opening."

Surprisingly accurate.

Enjoyed this ep quite a lot. Looking forward to the point in time when the show starts to make a little bit more sense, but it's nice so far to see that SHAFT is going balls out on this one.
Jan 6, 2011 11:10 PM

Oct 2010
Like everyone else I got the Pandora Heart's Abyss goosebumps but I will also add some Le Portrait de la Petite Cossette atmosphere. The OP is good but what's worthy is all the shots of nudity in the spoiler (NSFW)
all that is needed are some details. The beginning does kind of tell me that it could be what is about to happen in the future hence Akemi not wanting Madoka to become a Puella Magi. The monster also suggests that it's either Alien or Demonic but there was mention of a witch possibly being responsible for that attack against Kyubi, which reminds me that Mami's attack was gun fantastic.

In regards to Madoka's family, it is very heartwarming, especially the brother with the mother being second, father is too plain. Sayaka is pretty good character IMO, particularly her teasing of Madoka. Art wise rather excellent and Akemi's dark expressions rather fine. Anyways I want to know the enemy more and of course the powers that can be involved on both sides to hurt/damage. In the end it goes back to Meruru inspirations from Ore no Imouto and saving the world/fighting for what is most precious to you although I can't stop thinking of Madoka being similar to someone from Hidamari sketch anyone else? Anyways loved it and can't wait for more.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jan 6, 2011 11:15 PM
May 2010
Watched this is LQ awhile ago because it came out first...

...never again. This anime is why HD is necessary, anyone who is watching this episode in less than 720p is doing it a massive disservice.
11223344Jan 6, 2011 11:54 PM
Jan 6, 2011 11:22 PM

Oct 2007
Hurt ferret looking for a contract, where have I seen this before?
Jan 6, 2011 11:31 PM

Apr 2009
I was only going to watch this because of Yuki Kajiura (did not disappoint!) but hot damn that was awesome even if I'm not entirely sure what just happened in the last several minutes of the episode. I kind of expected some Pink Floyd hammers to go marching across the screen.

Anyway, I liked the characters, the overall direction was great, and loved the mood and freaky visuals. Far better than I'd imagined.
Jan 6, 2011 11:51 PM

Sep 2010
The first 5 minutes were orgasm inducing.
Jan 6, 2011 11:54 PM

Dec 2008
Madokagatari. <3 Did anyone else expect Akemi to pull out a stapler on Madoka at the bridge scene? I did.

I did not expect this series to be so hyped. Kind of sets it up for failure, but I'm quite excited as well. Let's see where this goes. =D
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Jan 7, 2011 12:03 AM
Jul 2018
this could be awesome depending on what direction the take it. but we'll see
Jan 7, 2011 12:18 AM

Sep 2008
VictimOfFate said:
What the hell did I just watch.

I know... I was like hmmm this seems interesting then about midway im like What the hell is going on... wait Mustash Dust bunnies? errrr, I need to watch 3 more episodes of this So far I like it but so confused.

Jan 7, 2011 12:29 AM

May 2008
DAT HIGH FIVE

I enjoy watching people's favorites. Recommend your favorite show to me, even if I have it dropped/on hold.
Jan 7, 2011 12:41 AM

Jun 2009
That was a pretty good episode. Love the soundtrack btw. Looking forward to the next one.

Jan 7, 2011 12:50 AM

Sep 2008
Centent said:
"Madoka Magica is about a normal teenage girl who is living a completely normal school life when she and her normal friend suddenly get attacked by the Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei opening."

Surprisingly accurate.

Totally xP
Jan 7, 2011 12:56 AM

Oct 2008
Pringles dudes at the end were so moe~
Jan 7, 2011 1:15 AM

Sep 2009
Shimbo decide to make personal Nanoha for Shaft in "Shaft-style". Not bad. Good scenario+typical art style looks more stylish like in old Shaft's works(such as Ef, Maria†Holic and SZS1). Maybe It's early to buty the studio and Shimbo himself. But a lot of grant goes to Gen Urobuchi and Yuki Kajiura this time.
Jan 7, 2011 1:21 AM
Sep 2007
Anyone know what song was in start? (00:54-02:39) and I dont mean OP
Jan 7, 2011 1:48 AM

Aug 2010
C...C...CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!....but wait....dark and serious...and...all like DUN DUN DUN....hrm....altogether simply FREAKING AMAZING....

Jan 7, 2011 2:13 AM

Aug 2010
The soundtrack's pretty damn gorgeous so far. I even liked the opening, which is something considering I normally skip 'em after 30 seconds...

On topic, I enjoyed the episode a lot more than I thought I would, looks pretty solid so far. Madoka's dream was wonderfully trippy - acid is a helluva drug...

Also, Kiyubee (or however it's being translated to English, correct me if I'm wrong) is really adorable looking.
Jan 7, 2011 2:17 AM

Apr 2009
It was actually pretty good. I had thought that SHAFT wouldn't make it... and it seems that there's a chance we'll get something more than yet another overrated&overhyped shit like Bakemono. Good, it looks like a mixture of Hidamari, sfw Gore Screaming Show and Bakemonogatari. Will watch it for sure, but I'm well aware that it may turn out to be one of the few best shows of this season, but it can also prove to be something like Bakemono (hopefully, it won't happen).

Jan 7, 2011 2:17 AM

Feb 2010
Miya_F_Exia said:
Iilia said:

So does this show remind anyone else of Pandora Hearts? The music, the visuals, the contract deal, the weird dream sequence... it all reminded me of Pandora Hearts.

Same here.

Ooh...

Now I understand why I didn't really enjoyed it. But the musics is pretty good, yeah.
Jan 7, 2011 2:19 AM
Jul 2008
I knew this was going to be awesome.
I mean, it's shaft, and aniplex, and the people involved. It just couldn't fail
I was a bit worried cause I've never likes Mahou shoujos, but this was pretty awesome.
Jan 7, 2011 2:23 AM

Feb 2010
Centent said:

Surprisingly accurate.

Enjoyed this ep quite a lot. Looking forward to the point in time when the show starts to make a little bit more sense, but it's nice so far to see that SHAFT is going balls out on this one.

Zan/Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei opening, fix'd.
Jan 7, 2011 2:28 AM
Aug 2009
I love you again Shaft.... oh yea i never stop loving u, now its more like addiction cause this first episode got me hook.

PS. sailor moon was good..... but Shaft may have created the best magical girl anime ever
Jan 7, 2011 2:44 AM
Aug 2010
Does anyone know what songs Kajiura Yuki is playing at the first episode?
Jan 7, 2011 2:51 AM

Aug 2010
Auspicious start. The soundtrack was pretty good, pretty varied, and the visuals were incredible. The show is definitely darker than your average magical girl anime, although the characters feel like your standard magical girl characters. Also, that illusionary sequence was pretty damn trippy. Might need some LSD to fully enjoy this show.
Jan 7, 2011 3:01 AM

Feb 2010
great music and visuels if the story can keep up with that then we get a great show.
Jan 7, 2011 3:01 AM

May 2009
Madoka's house - palm trees and all - looks like those real estate development ads, where the picture looks exactly like the house in the anime, but the actual houses after construction look just, gray. The school, with those transparent classrooms, is not a conducive learning environment. Madoka's dad is weird.

The anime itself, though, seems pretty intriguing. Music and visuals are brilliant. I wonder, though, if it's best to wait it out until the end of the show and watch it all at once. It seems to be the kind of show that needs to be watched all at once.
Jan 7, 2011 4:13 AM

Jun 2010
Mind was blown away halfway through the episode. I have high expectations for this one!
Jan 7, 2011 4:31 AM
Nov 2008
Pretty mad here, I expected SHAFT to have at least better than Arakawa animation here but it looks like fucking shit, I think it is probably pretty hard to find a show which is worse animated than this, animation errors everywhere in the first episode, dear god. Ugly as fuck zooming in the beginning as well. Looks like the more Budget SHAFT has the shittier the animation. I have watched my bunch of SHAFT shows, aka the shows with the shittiest animation in the industry, but with this they pretty much are at the lowest point possible. I hope the BD release gets a massive fix

Positive was pretty much everything else.
Jan 7, 2011 4:48 AM

Dec 2010
Decent first episode, is a majokko after all, can't expect much, hope things in a more dark way, will be awesome. :)

3/5
Jan 7, 2011 4:56 AM

Sep 2009
Wow, mostly everyone first expression on madoka is this great XD, even i was surprise watching madoka at first. I guess the season expectation was wrong

magical girls plus shaft plus Aoki Ume character design equal drooling zombie that can't live without watching this anime XD and once again, never defy the power of SHAFT or regret for the rest of your life for not watching it ^^
Jan 7, 2011 5:03 AM

Jun 2010
Ironically, I didn't had any expectations from this anime, I thought it would be another childish - romance magical girl anime, but I was wrong.

I liked the beginning, the music was awesome. And it was indeed dark. Although it reminded me too much of Nanoha. Madoka's personality also seems similar to Nanoha's. And the wounded pet that was calling her... It was like Yuuno was calling Nanoha.

But the story is not determined yet.
Jan 7, 2011 5:06 AM

Sep 2009

I don't know what I just watched.

But I liked it.

I really, really liked it.
Jan 7, 2011 5:42 AM

Jul 2009
Well, that was cool. Darker than I expected, very interesting visuals ('attacked by Zetsubou sensei OPs' indeed), and nice music. Can't say much for the story or characters yet, though, since there hasn't been anything there that's stood out so far.
If any of my posts seem odd, it's probably because I'm tired. Sorry. I have sleeping issues.
Jan 7, 2011 5:59 AM

Aug 2009
endtime said:
aw22 said:
Anyone know what song was in start? (00:54-02:39) and I dont mean OP

that's the ed by kalafina.

That was the ED SONG? That was pretty dark.
Jan 7, 2011 6:35 AM

May 2009
Visual seems much more like Cossette than any other work by SHAFT.
Jan 7, 2011 7:03 AM

Apr 2009
It's a shame this is so bad, I'd hoped that after doing fairly well on Soremachi SHAFT would get it's act together, but I suppose that was just saved by the original work. I feel like I need to go... outside or something, to cure acute background deficiency.
Feeling down? You may already be a charge target.
Jan 7, 2011 7:05 AM
Jul 2018
Magical Girls on drugs. . . . .
Jan 7, 2011 7:28 AM

Mar 2010
Kajiura Yuki+Kalafina right at the beginning? And what's more, mahou shoujo+SHAFT?! Just awesome, even though I'm not a big fan of the genre, the first episode was quite decent.
Jan 7, 2011 7:32 AM

Nov 2009
Personally, I think some of the characters looked terrible at times. But at other times, they looked amazing, and the style / animations was great.

Definitely an interesting show, I have hopes that it will turn out pretty good.
Jan 7, 2011 7:48 AM

Feb 2010
O____O
That was like so A W E S O M E! And believe me, I am a person who doesn't write this often.

umm, guys, could you tell that I am not stupid, because the background music sounds SO much like Yuki Kajiura.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.