Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 27, 2010 2:25 AM

Sep 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'd have to say, this was one of the most interesting anime movies I've seen.

It originally piqued my interest because it has some SciFi, but I was surprised to see how 1984-esque it was.(A book I sure hope you've read back in high school).

Otherwise, the art is great, but character designs might irk some people. Music is a bit on the iffy side, but the ED is a great, enjoyable song by SCANDAL.

Damnit! Don't die without my permission!
Dec 27, 2010 6:34 AM

Aug 2008
Yeah the movie was rather interesting, though pretty strange too. It kind of felt like it was missing something, but I'm not sure what. Anyway, 7/10 from me.
Dec 27, 2010 6:47 AM
Jul 2018
7/10 for me too.

I pretty much enjoyed this. It kept me entertained and it was well animated (despite it's odd animation style) and featured a decent soundtrack.

It's really odd though.

Also, anyone expecting to see werewolves in the traditional sense will be very disappointed. Not me, despite thinking this was a werewolf movie, I wasn't let down by the fact that there were none.

7/10
Dec 27, 2010 9:21 AM

Sep 2009
I like it. Not perfect but interesting. Ayumi mentioned me Shiki from Kara no Kyoukai. And I love such "border shoujo-ai" titles there none of it in fact but a lot of moments that could make such sence.

9/10
Dec 27, 2010 5:29 PM

Feb 2008
Somehow I really want to see werewolves! lol
but yea 9/10 nice story, ending and opening sound sound nice.
Was more original than I though
Characters were interesting. Not to be mean I wouldn't rly want it to be an anime series, 1 movie and its perfect in a way :)
katedadevilDec 27, 2010 5:32 PM

Dec 27, 2010 9:27 PM

Jun 2008
Well Loup Garou's are not traditional werewolves to begin with. So anyone expecting that will be surely disappointed.

This was really interesting. Depicts a pretty bleak future, anyone agree?

I could do without the slight shoujo-ai references though, but eh they were so minimal it's wasn't too much of a bother. I did like the soundtrack. Mio was pretty hilarious with her hacking skills.
Dec 28, 2010 12:43 AM

Mar 2009
Awesome.
Can someone update the Characters section? I wanna know the Seiyuu too.
Mokyuu♥~!!

Dec 28, 2010 4:55 AM

Aug 2010
Ayumi was awesome.
I like this movie :]

Dec 28, 2010 6:19 AM

Jul 2008
I find the story interesting. Surely I don't want to live in a world like that.

When I first saw this title and found out that this is written by Natsuhiko Kyougoku, I did hope that this one isn't as complex (and confusing) as his Mouryou no Hako. And I'm glad it isn't.

| Icon by parijienne @ LJ. | My Member Cards |

My Candies :
Dec 28, 2010 12:34 PM

May 2009
8/10 for me :3

Must love Ayumi <3 Why? She can kill just like tapping someone's shoulder x3

-- I'm looking for "The One" and I'll find her more quickly if I audition two at a time. Think you can do better? --
-- The World God Only Knows -- Toaru Majutsu no Index -- Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai --
Dec 28, 2010 2:16 PM

Dec 2009
Mio was my favorite character! Over all great 9/10 for me. :]
Dec 28, 2010 4:49 PM

May 2009
My first good impressions vanished after the first ten minutes. Only the animation was decent, and to be honest even on that department I ve seen better works from Production I.G. Other than that the rest 1.20 hour was pure torture. Plot holes, more plot holes and some more plot holes to top it. The characters were non existant, Hazuki was plainly annoying.
3/10 and that's only because i am feeling generous. >.>

Dec 28, 2010 6:27 PM

Jan 2010
Ayumi was just kick ass.
What I loved more than the mystery was the animation.

8/10.
Dec 28, 2010 8:29 PM

Mar 2009
8.5/10
awesome.
Ouran12Dec 28, 2010 9:35 PM
Dec 28, 2010 10:54 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
4/10

Extremely predictable. Cliché plot line. What a disappointment.

YEAAA GIRL POWER UNITE TAKE DOWN SOCIETYYYY

-__-
p r o f i l e đź‘€
Dec 28, 2010 10:57 PM

Jul 2007
45 minutes just to get anything besides braindead Hazuki, and the hour or so after that was incredibly cliche. I give it 4/10 too.

Everyone talks about rock these days, the problem is they forget about the roll - Keith Richards
Dec 28, 2010 11:29 PM

Apr 2008
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE
Dec 29, 2010 1:42 AM

Sep 2009
what a heart-touching anime T^T its just the kind anime i'm looking for, just marvelous

the anime theme attract me most, Friendship and this anime show it. It show that Friendship last forever and that even if they're are separated and no matter what obstacle they face, they still stay together.

Ayumi!! where did you go!!

But just friendship is boring so they add action and sci-fi. this show the obstacles they face. the climax was rather simple *breaking computers, showing the enemy intention just to eat human and no action* but it worth it and ended in a way that even i wouldn't expect. this anime deserve a great score

Overall [10/10] Favourite Character Goes To Makino Hazuki XD
another_railgunDec 29, 2010 1:45 AM
Dec 29, 2010 2:50 AM

Feb 2010
solid movie nothing really outstanding 7/10.
Dec 29, 2010 6:11 AM

Apr 2010
Piroko said:

I'd have to say, this was one of the most interesting anime movies I've seen.

It originally piqued my interest because it has some SciFi, but I was surprised to see how 1984-esque it was.(A book I sure hope you've read back in high school).
I heard allot about that book but didn't read it myself but it's certainly on my plan to read list.

I agree with you that this Anime shows a example on Totalitarianism which society is starting to look like more and more as technology advances.
Tho this Anime focused on eluding the system and eventually bringing it to it's downfall i think it could have used a bit more focus on the major downsides of totalitarianism.
That said it still did a pretty good job tho.
It also shows that no matter how safe you make society or how much you try to control it, there always those who try to evade it.
And there always those who succeed in evading it.
I actually think that making a security system that's almost impossible to hack is like a invitation for some people to hack it, people like challenges after all.
In the end everything can be breached after all.

I really enjoyed every minute of this Anime i really liked the characters and the story and it was full of surprises.
I thought almost to the end it was about organ theft and the organ market as well but it turned out the by food for the villain, which really came as a surprise.

Kono turning out to be a killer as well wasn't that surprising but it was refreshing to see, it takes very little to make people into killing maniacs apparently.
I liked the part that she was still questioning herself about her actions even tho she wasn't showing much emotions.

Mio seemed pretty carefree for a anarchist, but i guess that is her way of truly being free of the system.
She questioned the system and found a way to elude it and finding things about the system which she believed to be wrong.
Even making explosives to stop the system and bring anarchy.

Makino was a good example of what could happen to people when we get to dependent on technology at first.
And she changed over the story because of Mio and Kono and started thinking for herself not relying on technology anymore.

Myou was truly a victim of there society and trying to revolve against it in her own way.

In the end they solved the murder cases but there wasn't much explanation of what happened to there society after that.
It does seem like that 3 of the characters ended up pretty good after that and it was a satisfying and good end.
Dec 29, 2010 6:30 AM

Jan 2010
8/10

cos it was sci-fi and Mystery [both my favorite genre]
Dec 29, 2010 6:23 PM
Oct 2009
Bored through out the whole thing. Cared nothing for the characters or the situation.

3/10 and that is just because I saw some blood, if not it would have been lower.

Dec 29, 2010 9:06 PM

Jan 2008
This movie to me was awesome. Though for many people to truly enjoy it, perhaps it would be better to not watch it like any other animation, but from a sociological and/or philosophical stand-point merely presented in animation-form; about a dystopian future.

It had all the pluses that I could ask for that can be found in a good novel (even though the animation made it a little predictable from the hints they give you like in a horror-mystery): extreme totalitarianism, murder-mystery, political conspiracy, social dysfunction, and even obviously implied cannibalism...with the animation adding some awesome action.

Although at times I found the characters to look like cookie cut-outs from various other genres, I found them to be well portrayed for how they were written into life.

As for the ending...they left it open for interpretation. Killing and murder are very controversial subjects; from views like "it's all the same" to "killing to survive is one thing, and killing for justice is another". Thus, it would be very hard to please everyone, let alone most people, if the creators had given the movie a clean-cut ending. With open interpretation, you can think of it however you want it to be, and it could still very well be a possibility.

All in all; this movie isn't for everyone (although it says otherwise with the ambiguous premise and animation style being rather...indifferent, for lack of a better word). But for those that it is intended for, will enjoy it, or at least commend it.
Estoy_GordoDec 29, 2010 9:16 PM
Dec 30, 2010 11:27 AM

Aug 2007
I was expecting more from this movie and I shouldn't have done that. It was an okay watch, but nothing else. The thing that was weird to me is that they easily accepted Ayumi as a killer. Character designs and animation were flat... That big bony bad guy looked like some typical stereotype German, pathetic.

So the wolf killed the vampire.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Dec 30, 2010 1:44 PM

Jul 2009
It was boring and silly with been-there-done-that feel for an hour and a half.

It was like K-ON pretending to be Tron.
K-Tron

And I had such hopes for it too.
5/10
Dec 30, 2010 6:50 PM

Jan 2010
I enjoyed watching it. I liked the songs of SCANDAL and Ayumi as a killer, loved it when she kill the vamp like shes tapping someone's shoulder xD
Dec 31, 2010 2:40 PM

Nov 2008
vampire? a vampire that eats internal organs? lmao xDD he's just a puny cannibal

I kinda got angry at him when he ate something on the plate, I dont want to think thats the meat of Yuko :( who wouldve thought in that kind of future, there will be scarcity of livestocks thus we will start eating sunflowers xDD

I didn't read the summary of this movie when I watched this so I was impressed theres some sort of a murder-mystery that I like. In other words, I enjoyed this movie xDD 8/10

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jan 1, 2011 9:50 AM
Sep 2009
I was really disappointed in this movie. It had potential but it turned out to be quite boring and it felt somewhat anti-climatic towards the end. I hated the character designs as well...especially the eyes.

5/10
Jan 1, 2011 3:42 PM

Dec 2010
Wow very good movie, i like the plot and expecially Kono. <3

5/5
Jan 1, 2011 9:50 PM

Aug 2008
Detective said:
K-Tron
It was a halfassed chain of plotholes barely kept together by K-TRON. It's like the script was written by a 14 year old trying to go emo.

I'm not even sure most of you people were watching the same movie. 3/10.
Jan 1, 2011 10:30 PM

May 2008
I'm amazed so many people actually fell for this cliche crap..... this may possibly be one of the worst anime movies I've ever seen.

Loups-Garous is basically a codeword for emo, describing some uncool Saya ripoff character who cuts necks for fun because she was almost raped once and never corrects the habit before the end of the movie. Every other character basically just keeps all the generic baddies busy inadvertantly making openings for emo girl to slash their necks open, and then gasping and forgiving her.

Myao is the fighting ally of justice compatriot, always rushing in to save the main character or people in harms way. When someone is about to be stabbed by an incompetant lacky, then without fail she'll run in and bludgeon them up with her tonfas. She'll run in again and again doing nothing but this, since she really serves no other purpose.

Mio is the only character who does anything, typecast from a long line of computer supergenius friends who facilitates the protagonist's inability to do anything herself.

Oh yeah, and somehow this all revolves around some girl who was attacked because her shitty fanart scribbles weren't moe enough. This prompts a couple guys to dress up like teddy bears and drag baseball bats around menacingly for tension, and to give some kind of distracting other suspect until the main enemies appear.

The main baddy is some kind of shrewd connoisseur of people parts who has somehow taken control of the world by being charming and influential, and whose personality and character design are a copy/paste of a Blood+ villian. Despite being the leader of the giant big brother organization presumably controlling the world, he only has two three lackies and an army of trashcans at his disposal. And he has a computer clone of himself that actually runs things, because actually running things himself would prevent him from eating more people parts in the back room.

Don't even get me started on the plotholes...

Production IG, I am very disappointed.... please stop trying to be the next BeeTrain... pumping out cliche themes over and over for dvd sales -- milking that teen demographic for all it's worth. You used to be better.

edit: i had forgotten that the detective was a third lackey, whose job was to confuse their teacher for some reason, maybe so she'd stop scaring children with her funny virtual reality mask thing. This was the teacher whose mother apparently had died trying to discover the same conspiracy, and who serves no other purpose than to explain the plot in parallel so that the pretty girl characters are free to look cool doing other unrelated things.
sakaJan 2, 2011 11:57 PM

I am a banana.
Jan 2, 2011 7:30 AM

Aug 2008
PS: It's never Lupus
Jan 2, 2011 3:40 PM

Dec 2009
A bit confusing ... and weird ...
Hazuki annoyed the shit out of me ... and I really hoped she'd turn badass and save her friends at least ONCE !
6/10 ... could have been better .. MUCH better .
Jan 2, 2011 6:27 PM

Jan 2009
Disappointed with this movie....I was expecting a pretty original movie and plot, but it was extremely cliche and boring. It felt like a little kids "save the world movie" with one girl actually killing the peopel instead of knocking them out cold

6/10
I would go lower but I did finish the whole movie (if I finish something I give it at least a 6)

And does anyone else think that the description for this is terrible? "People avoid contact...and group of girls actively make real contact" those girls were in counciling because they were anti social and avoided contact.
Meh_93Jan 2, 2011 6:38 PM
Jan 3, 2011 12:02 AM

May 2008
Kvakond said:
PS: It's never Lupus
blame the French.

I am a banana.
Jan 3, 2011 2:10 PM

Jan 2010
does someone know what happened to ayumi?
where did she(she is a girl right?) go?
Jan 3, 2011 2:47 PM

May 2008
Yeah, it's weird that she just disappears at the end. Nobody says where she went... just that she's gone after being forgiven for her crimes, and that Hazuki will keep waiting for her..... considering how emotionally unstable she was it's really hard to see her running off alone. Part of me wants to say she committed suicide, but I guess we're supposed to assume she went off alone because it was too painful for everyone remembering how she killed somebody -- which contradicts all the "we accept you" things that were said a few moments earlier. Hazuki's "I see the same sky that you did" comment does imply she went off to chase her freedom or something... honestly I don't even think the staff knows what the hell it means. This is Chewbacca:

I am a banana.
Jan 4, 2011 11:05 AM

Jul 2009
5/10.

I think average describes it pretty well. It wasn't really bad, by any means, but shallow characters and a predictable plot didn't make it anything special.
Jan 4, 2011 11:14 AM

Sep 2010
I liked it, its just that it seemed to drag on.. forever. lol. I think the story was okay, but the ending was rushed, and the conclusion unfolded in an awkward manner. It was fun to watch, but I was very tired when I was watching so I didn't take in as much as I would fully in-tuned. :P
Jan 5, 2011 1:40 PM

Aug 2008
I thought it started off pretty good, the suspense was there but then I quickly got bored. The storytelling wasn't so great.
I don't understand why Kawabata would suddenly go berserk and kill girls over anime drawings. And why he didn't want Ayumi to look at him? So is it because he's a socially awkward otaku or something? :/

I was beginning to think Hazuki was annoying; tripping down the stairs when she finally mustered the courage to save her friends? Really? She's basically useless.
darkerealmJan 5, 2011 1:46 PM
Feb 2, 2011 5:23 AM

Mar 2009
6/10
the unfolding mysteries and constantly shifting plot focus were probably the best parts in this mishmash, the keion crap was needless to say the least

Feb 10, 2011 1:31 PM

Oct 2007
it's a disaster. i started watching it as soon as subs showed up, got sleepy, and still haven't managed to finish it.

i read the book, once again admired Kyougoku's talent to write stories engrossing, disturbing, stunning. superficially, much more simple than Kyougokudo series, but no really so.
the whole concept of society proud of and build on its independence from food chain, which turns out to be a by-product of a project intended to let a certain man could taste human flesh again.
the disdain for physical contact that the characters show. the fear of eye contact, the discomfort they feel just standing near another and feeling their presence, with attached smells and sounds.
the killing 'because i could' and question why exactly one can't kill another human.
where was it in the anime? as far as i could see after 40 minutes or so, nowhere. so srsly, it was a failure. major one.

had to rant a little. i thought that maybe i should give the movie another chance, but i'd rather spend that time re-reading parts of the book D<
Feb 21, 2011 2:34 AM

Aug 2009
I thought this was pretty cool.
7/10
Mar 11, 2011 8:33 PM

Nov 2007
Plate said:
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE

this is the only thing i enjoyed out of this whole movie, i was rooting for it.
Mar 28, 2011 4:00 PM

Mar 2008
Starts off pretty well and then... it just dies in less than 20 minutes. The plot tried to follow so many threads at the same time that it completely destroyed the movie. And, since direction is close to non-existant, there was probably no chance for that plot to start with.
Animation is also noteworthy in a negative way. I can't believe IG would put its label in this; artwork was bad, animation was bad, fight scenes were horrible.
BGM is decent, the musical moments were awkward and anticlimatic, speciallly the second one near the end.

This movie was incredibly dull. The second half was just torture.
I'm giving it a generous 3/10.
ArcanusMar 28, 2011 4:04 PM
Jun 10, 2011 4:16 AM

Jan 2008
So what happened to Ayumi? Does the novel ever go into this?
Dec 10, 2011 6:38 PM

Aug 2008
OK it was cool that they touched on technology replacing personal contact. It was cool that they stressed having fun with friends. It was cool that it had a rebellious cyber side to it similar to Lain.

Otherwise MeeehHhhh!
I wasn't even suprised when the giant walking panda mech showed up.
Then they threw in rape and cannibalism to get the attention of us horror freaks.

They didn't even let us see their dance recital! I was like expecting that to be the icing after the credits.

Oh well. 5/10 [Average] rating is perfect for this.
Jan 3, 2012 9:33 PM

Apr 2010
Meh. Plot was all over the place and it was dreadfully boring. Almost fell asleep.

5/10
Feb 21, 2012 6:06 AM

Feb 2012
I went into this film expecting it to be about werewolves because of the title. However, that wasn't the case. Turns out, the title was referring to the beast within. Nevertheless, I found this film pretty damn entertaining. One of the few times I ended up sympathizing with a serial killer. The ending though was kinda sad and I truly wished Kono had returned with them and assumed a normal life, well, maybe if they ever do a sequel or a series....
Every minute you are thinking of evil, you might have been thinking of good instead. Refuse to pander to a morbid interest in your own misdeeds. Pick yourself up, be sorry, shake yourself, and go on again.
Evelyn Underhill

Jun 14, 2012 2:26 PM

Apr 2009
Plate said:
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE

Oh man! I was totally thinking that when the guy in the monitor said he's not wasting the bodies... O_o

darkerealm said:
I was beginning to think Hazuki was annoying; tripping down the stairs when she finally mustered the courage to save her friends? Really? She's basically useless.

I thought the same of her, communication disorder, my ass! XP

Detective said:
K-Tron

I liked how you stated it, I'm gonna quote you on that for future reference. XD

I didn't expect anything when I watched this but it's still pretty average when all is said and done so it's a 5/10 for me.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Did they change Ayumi's gender in the dub?

Shima_XIX - Dec 4, 2011

13 by DanaRena »»
Feb 18, 2019 1:21 PM

» /

delete_plz - Dec 14, 2009

2 by littlebodybheart »»
May 7, 2010 5:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.