Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Festival Accompanying Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 9, 2013 7:45 PM

May 2012
Dat OP, i dig it!
Feb 9, 2013 9:02 PM

May 2012
Avarice said:
Rika said "Ni-Pah" twice in this episode. I think I can die happy. XD

I was wondering, at the beginning of the episode, Satoko injected something in her body. There aren't any specific details yet but could that be the substance that Rena and Mion injected in Keiichi in the first arc of the first season? Maybe that was the experiment of the Sonozaki family? Any thoughts?

It was pretty obvious to me that it was an antidote for something, atleast it seems pretty clear
Mar 29, 2013 6:45 AM

Mar 2013
I laughed quite hard a lot of times in this episode!

It was a bit of both funny and wtf moments, like when shion mion rena and keichi were talking after the zombie tag, it seemed to me that keichi actually said something that he had learned in the previous arc, about not having to tell your friends all the bad stuff that happened in the past.. Backing up my thought, satako also remembered something keichi told her in one of the previous arcs...

So are they finally getting to the point were everyone has learned their mistakes and they'll manage to stop the hinamizawa death-spree? Or even prevent the disaster that's about to occur? That's my guess nonetheless.

Also, zombie tag is such a brilliant idea , i wish i had come up with it during my childhood xD
Apr 24, 2013 10:52 PM
Aug 2011
Again?
Apr 25, 2013 1:40 PM

Sep 2012
Hmm Twins are in the scene again legitly.

Interesting episode. 5
May 21, 2013 10:28 AM

Sep 2009
ahahahhaa... poor Keiichi.. that was very scary! LOL..
Aug 7, 2013 11:52 PM

Feb 2011
Really enjoyed the light-hearted tone of this episode. For some reason I am reminded of Endless Eight of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. Of course this one is better than the endless repetition of the latter.
Aug 14, 2013 4:58 AM

Jun 2011
StonedAnime said:
Avarice said:
Rika said "Ni-Pah" twice in this episode. I think I can die happy. XD

I was wondering, at the beginning of the episode, Satoko injected something in her body. There aren't any specific details yet but could that be the substance that Rena and Mion injected in Keiichi in the first arc of the first season? Maybe that was the experiment of the Sonozaki family? Any thoughts?

It was pretty obvious to me that it was an antidote for something, atleast it seems pretty clear

This is late, but in the final ep of the last season (or the ep before that), they show that it is actually a black marker(they were just trying to draw on his face), Keiichi was being delusional and thought that it was a syringe.

Edit

It's when Keiichi has the flashback about what happened in the other world, ep 25.

ikazuuyrAug 14, 2013 5:30 AM
Nov 17, 2013 11:12 AM

Jun 2013
Looks like games and pranks stop here... it's almost festival time again.

So Shion goes to their school in this time loop and is protecting Satoko. Don't know how to feel about her, she went too far in her arc!
Dec 3, 2013 10:37 AM

Jun 2013
This series always baits you in with their funny and cute episodes, and then shit hits the fan. Not expecting anything different from that.

Dec 8, 2013 12:09 PM

Dec 2012
This episode:

Lighthearted school comedy-check
Enjoyment from that-check
Psychologically disturbing material- pending
Enjoyment/cringe from that- I AM READY!
Feb 24, 2014 10:40 PM

Jan 2009
1. series does a good job on slice of life moments w/ the zombie tag

2. but seeing the 1st season, behind those peaceful moments lies a dark secret.

6/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Mar 12, 2014 7:57 PM
Feb 2014
Funniest episode of the higurashi series so far, very interesting ending too, finding out that this is a new arc and satako saying something from a previous arc at the end. I can tell this is going to get extremely interesting in the next episode...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2014 2:35 AM
Jul 2018
This was a funny ep. Look at them, they were happy and all.. but then.. TT__TT
Lol'd so hard @ Anti-pubescent male hardening magic.
Apr 20, 2014 4:07 PM

Jun 2011
I really liked what Rika said at the beginning of the episode, about previous Keiichi remembering what happened in the other "Hinamizawa". Really liking this arc so far. (it's only been one episode though lol)

Dat erection..

Edit: So.. who will be the one to go crazy in this arc, I wonder.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 24, 2014 8:20 AM
Feb 2013
Okay so now Shino is aware of the promise that she made to Satoshi and has transferred into that school. I know we are able to question it, but do we just go with it at this point?
Apr 30, 2014 10:41 AM

Jan 2014
This was a valuable episode.
I really laughed a lot at that Zombie Tag game. When the girls were about to get Keiichi was hilarious.

But now we get thet Keiichi manage to recall, more or less directly, what he learned from the previous arcs, and this time even Satoko seemed to do so.
So Rika is trying to revive this June endlessly until their friends learn from previous mistakes and fight the common enemy instead of go crazy and stab each other in the back?

But at the end of the last season she seemed to enjoy this.

So this time Shion remembers the promise made to Satoshi, interesting.
See her like this is kinda creepy and pitiful at the same time, last season she went pretty psycho, more than everyone else.

But man, we got introduced so many times to Tanako and Tomitake that I'll never forget those faces..
And, if they really want to know who the enemy is, the fulcrus is all on them.
They are what triggers all the events.

Looking forward to the next episode.
May 8, 2014 5:25 AM

Apr 2013
Shion spotted. So it's normal this time for her to be around I guess.

Laughed at the Anti-pubescent male hardening magic, and when the kids were spreading the rumors about Keiichi.

I think Satoko has a vaccine in her syringe without knowing it. And Keiichi really was crazy that time in the first arc while Rena and Mion were actually trying to help him.
But let's see what Kai has more to offer!
May 17, 2014 1:05 AM

Sep 2012
Looks like the deaths might be involved soon.
May 30, 2014 2:36 PM
Mar 2014
Is comedy required in this anime? Isn't this psychological horror?

Watching the main characters goofing around in the school ground, it felt like I was watching a harem comedy. This series should better pick up on horror and no more slapstick please.
Jun 4, 2014 8:52 AM

Jan 2014
Funny episode,but something bad is going to happen...
Aug 5, 2014 11:38 PM

Jan 2014
I really hope that 10 minute long tag sequence ends up being justified somehow later. Otherwise, it easily could have and should have been cut down by at least half.
Aug 10, 2014 4:53 PM

Aug 2013
A good episode, but was that Sakato syringe scene necessary, and considering how the japanese are perverted that just goes to show you how messed up they are.
"Nothing is sweeter than your smile"
Sep 16, 2014 3:15 AM
Dec 2011
tainteddonut said:
If I didn't know any better I would have called Higurashi a school comedy from watching this episode. I was laughing extremely hard especially when the younger kids started spreading the rumors about Keiichi.

About Satoko's injection, I'd hazard a guess that it's used to suppress her memories. At the end of the episode Rika was rather disturbed when Satoko seemed to recall a quote that Keiichi had said before. Whereas in the first season the drug they injected Keiichi with made him suicidal.

it contains the same stuff that make people go crazy namely its the parasitic bacteria if my theory is correct when you inject a person who is not from hinamozawa they go insane in a instant eg- keiichi, rika, that camera guy! :3 we will see what happens :3
Oct 28, 2014 5:35 PM

Aug 2013
Awwwn, poor Rika. She desperately search someone that remember what happened in the other ''worlds''...

Damn, I missed those ''Nipa~!'' and those ''Nano desu~!'' xD

Rena used seduction. It is effective!

Miyo is back, again. And she'll probably die, again. She really is mysterious, on how she knew so much about the events before them happening. Is she sort of like Rika, where she can remember what happened in each iteration?

The humor is still hilarious. It's funny how the arc always start light, like if everything was alright and everything will be alright. Yet...
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Nov 3, 2014 9:39 PM

Nov 2013
Was not expecting Higurashi going back to it's school comedy roots though that's alright.

Rena really gave me a hard on with that "boner enhancing magic" :)

Watching Rena betray Keiichi was hilarious.

I don't like Rika as much anymore. I hate it when characters pretend to be cute when really they are very cold and distant on the inside.

As long as we get an answer arc at the end of every story arc, I'm find with a little bit of moeblob-cuteness for 1 episode.

It seems like Rika is capable of remembering stuff before the time loops. Interesting.

4/5

Dec 17, 2014 8:48 AM

Apr 2012
mild_even said:
I liked the playfulness of this episode. Now that they got that out of the way... on to the twisted stuff.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Dec 31, 2014 3:06 AM

Oct 2014
minouneetzoe said:

Rena used seduction. It is super effective!

FTFY

Awesome episode indeed
Rena's seduction was awesome and Shion and Mion tricked everyone and that swan was hilarious
Still waiting for gore/blood though
Jan 1, 2015 12:37 AM

Dec 2014
tainteddonut said:

About Satoko's injection, I'd had a guess that it's used to suppress her memories. At the end of the episode Rika was rather disturbed when Satoko seemed to recall a quote that Keiichi had said before. Whereas in the first season the drug they injected Keiichi with made him suicidal.

I agree with the injections in THIS arc and THIS reality as being a suppressant! That's what I initially thought.

lakshika said:

it contains the same stuff that make people go crazy namely its the parasitic bacteria if my theory is correct when you inject a person who is not from hinamozawa they go insane in a instant eg- keiichi, rika, that camera guy! :3 we will see what happens :3

WRONG- Why would Rika, who loves her friends let Satoko inject herself infront of her with a virus?? wow... just wow.

Also WRONG because Rena and Shion were never injected and went crazy on their own, in Season 1. The bacterium's already in the blood from the water marsh nearby, It is mentioned, in season 2 ep 1.

My theory... Once they began getting suspicious (already on their own or because someone plants seeds of doubt in their mind via conversations) the virus/maggots trigger them to go full crazy... Maybe the 'cure' or injection was given too late in those cases of Keiichi. Although, In season 1 we find out that Keichii was hallucinating and it was not a syringe but a Marker/pen. (it is almost like that arc doesn't count because it hasn't been explained yet. So don't let it confuse you)

So what I am saying is Keichii and Rika were given the injection at the peak of their insanity. (Past the point of return) and the disease progressed and they kill themselves because they felt the maggots crawling, sending them into hyper-possessed mode and becoming suicidal. Takano, keicheii clawed their throats to death. Rika stabbed herself (maybe to cut the maggots out?).<<<<<<After receiving the injection
Something to note: Rena clawed at her wrists and neck to get the maggots out.(S1 within the last 3-4eps) Rena didnt receive an injection (Season 1 "Earth Invasion (Chapter: Atonement, Part 4)") and maybe thats why her and Shion (season 1 Meakashi-hen arc) realized their mistakes in time and were able to cry it out and not be pushed to the point of suicide.

School scene was cute but not my cup of tea at all. It wasn't a complete waste because there's some metaphors in the game they were playing. 'Pretend you are a zombie (one of them) and you'll survive' etc you have to read between the lines a little bit.

Pedo, lolicon, Pantsu is not cute... its creepy and a culture encouraging this behavior is a little disturbing but I am tolerant of other people's cultures... just not comfortable with it.

Lastly yes it is looping again. We have the aliens theory explained and the volcanic eruption of gas explained sorta at this point. We will have to be patient on having the time loop explained.

HOPE THIS HELPS some other people who cometwo years from now >.< lmao!
Ep3 leggo!
LV_DawnJan 1, 2015 1:07 AM
Please add something new to the Thread. If you are just going to agree with everyone else, and not add anything significant, Please do NOT re-post/re-word/repeat what someone else has said. I hate reading 9pgs of parrots and copycats. #BEORIGINAL
Feb 9, 2015 9:09 PM

Jan 2014
avrc said:

im thinking the same thing actually :o we shall see

i love the op so much, its a step up from last season i think. the ed preview though... lol its kinda like a guillotine xD. and whos that girl with rika? shes also in the op, so im gonna bet shes the "other" rika, aka oyashiro-sama. although, i was expecting a grown woman, that girl is just as tiny as rika haha

EDIT: my theory about the syringes is that they're to cure the bacteria, not infect people. evidence: keiichi didn't take the syringe, and he clawed his throat bc he was infected. shion didn't take it, and she went insane (dont remember any throat clawing but it was probably off screen). it was revealed that rika tried to give it to rena, and she went crazy too. however, she remembered and "got better", which was highly unlikely; rika called it a "miracle". what she expected to happen was that rena would claw her throat and die (even rena herself predicted it). so the syringe is meant to help, and rika was using satoko to test it. i dont think satoko has any special genes or anything, im pretty sure she could use any hinamizawa inhabitant. i just think she's the most convenient for rika since they live in the same house. in fact, rika would probably test it on herself, but since she's like part of oyashiro-sama (if the alien thing is correct then maybe she's part alien O.o), i think it's not compatible with her body, which is why when she attempted to inject shion and shion injected her, it nearly killed her.
laputiaFeb 9, 2015 9:20 PM
Mar 23, 2015 7:56 AM
Nov 2014
This episode was funny haha.

Especially when Kei tried to hide his boner lol.

I expect things to go darker.
Apr 30, 2015 2:56 PM

Jul 2008
I had forgotten about the "club" activities. Hilarious stuff, but then we get the end scene and realize its about go to shit once again.
May 17, 2015 10:40 PM
Jul 2018
Beedlebud said:
It's so weird seeing Shion in class with them...

^[i]En guarde![/i]

This was a great episode. The comic relief was much needed. Seriously, this episode gave a "human" breath into the whole Higurashi experience. Indeed, what happens next will surely be either a mind-bender or a murder (again)...

I sensed that ecchi coming on when Rena baited Keiichi! Even funnier when Satoko didn't understand why he was crossing his legs, lol.

Welp, let's see what happens next with our good ol' friends Tanako and Tomitake!
May 26, 2015 9:02 PM

Feb 2013
Hmm, Keiichi has never been that nonchalant before when learning about the murders, perhaps just like Rika he can now fully remember what's happened in the previous worlds? Also it seems like Satoko might be starting to remember as well, since she repeated exactly what Keiichi said in the last world.

But yeah, this was obviously the routine *everything is great* episode. Which means next episode is when everything will start to go horribly wrong.
Shape430May 26, 2015 9:56 PM
Jun 22, 2015 10:37 PM

Feb 2015
Tag has never been so awesome. Funny episode with the usual ominous setup for what comes afterwards is still done well. Poor little Rika.
Oct 18, 2015 5:45 AM

Nov 2011
The usual lighthearted episode that kick starts an arc, before shitstorm.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Nov 25, 2015 10:54 AM

Nov 2011
That was fun. Every time I see the Tomikate Takano Pair I giggle because I know that they always die first. And having Shion part of the gang was nice.
A bit weirded out by her protecting Sakoto considering what she did to her last time...
May 30, 2016 10:07 AM

Sep 2014
Indeed this Episode was quite funny but i know what truly lies ahead.
Sep 3, 2016 4:39 PM
Nov 2010
zacrathedemon5 said:
I really hope that 10 minute long tag sequence ends up being justified somehow later. Otherwise, it easily could have and should have been cut down by at least half.

I would tend to concur. I kept waiting for a specific indicator of symbolism, but it just kind of went on and on.

Seeing as this was the beginning of a new season, they might have been working on additional backgrounds and art for upcoming episodes and needed to extend the running length here with existing assets... Doesn't seem like we needed all that filler just to establish tone.
Oct 23, 2016 3:26 AM

Aug 2016
Shion looks so cute......
Wait
how did Kei and Satoko repeat the phrase unconsciously??
Feb 15, 2017 7:11 AM

Jan 2016
I'm surprised I found this episode very funny. o_o
I expected the humor to be cringey and out of place, but I got used to it quickly.

Such is the greatness of Higurashi...
Apr 7, 2018 9:24 PM

Aug 2014
Why are people talking about the injection Mion and Rena was going to give Keiichi in the first arc? He was imagining things.. They were holding a marker as they were going to draw on his face as part of the punishment game.
Sep 7, 2019 8:36 AM

Mar 2019
I feel Rika's sadness 。゚(゚∩´﹏`∩゚)゚。
Sep 18, 2019 11:14 PM

Aug 2007
Hm, I actually enjoyed this. I felt like this helps make the characters more likable than the first season. A lot of them were very hollow despite traumatic pasts and complex story pattern.

Oct 9, 2019 9:06 PM

Feb 2014
A lot of funny moments and cute girls in bloomers, that's one way to start a horror anime.
Apr 24, 2020 2:39 AM

Feb 2018
Rika and Rena is so cute...
May 27, 2020 7:46 AM

May 2018
Rika is so kawaii~~

Ni-pah ni-pah~~

I am still dreading the time Shion spends with Sakoto, considering what happened to them in the Watanagashi arc
Jun 27, 2020 2:41 AM

Apr 2020
I forgot what this show is all about, until Tomitake and Takano showed up. Lol.
Jul 13, 2020 10:17 PM

Aug 2018
great episode! The part when those girls were calling Keiichi a pervert was so hilarious!

Sep 17, 2020 8:49 AM

Apr 2013
Keiichi can be quite the horndog apparently. Seems like another timeline started, this time with Shion being there from the very first episode. Wonder how many parts we'll get this time and it they will make any sense in the end.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Entropy - Sep 24, 2007

141 by benisgu »»
Apr 6, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

protoman96 - Jul 5, 2007

166 by Vincentie »»
Mar 19, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Entropy - Oct 1, 2007

216 by ghostgirl_ »»
Mar 14, 4:06 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Entropy - Sep 6, 2007

120 by benisgu »»
Mar 2, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

LunarEmerald - Oct 29, 2007

100 by Drinzen »»
Feb 9, 4:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.