Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Festival Accompanying Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 4, 2014 8:52 AM

Jan 2014
Funny episode,but something bad is going to happen...
Aug 5, 2014 11:38 PM

Jan 2014
I really hope that 10 minute long tag sequence ends up being justified somehow later. Otherwise, it easily could have and should have been cut down by at least half.
Aug 10, 2014 4:53 PM

Aug 2013
A good episode, but was that Sakato syringe scene necessary, and considering how the japanese are perverted that just goes to show you how messed up they are.
"Nothing is sweeter than your smile"
Sep 16, 2014 3:15 AM
Dec 2011
tainteddonut said:
If I didn't know any better I would have called Higurashi a school comedy from watching this episode. I was laughing extremely hard especially when the younger kids started spreading the rumors about Keiichi.

About Satoko's injection, I'd hazard a guess that it's used to suppress her memories. At the end of the episode Rika was rather disturbed when Satoko seemed to recall a quote that Keiichi had said before. Whereas in the first season the drug they injected Keiichi with made him suicidal.

it contains the same stuff that make people go crazy namely its the parasitic bacteria if my theory is correct when you inject a person who is not from hinamozawa they go insane in a instant eg- keiichi, rika, that camera guy! :3 we will see what happens :3
Oct 28, 2014 5:35 PM

Aug 2013
Awwwn, poor Rika. She desperately search someone that remember what happened in the other ''worlds''...

Damn, I missed those ''Nipa~!'' and those ''Nano desu~!'' xD

Rena used seduction. It is effective!

Miyo is back, again. And she'll probably die, again. She really is mysterious, on how she knew so much about the events before them happening. Is she sort of like Rika, where she can remember what happened in each iteration?

The humor is still hilarious. It's funny how the arc always start light, like if everything was alright and everything will be alright. Yet...
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Nov 3, 2014 9:39 PM

Nov 2013
Was not expecting Higurashi going back to it's school comedy roots though that's alright.

Rena really gave me a hard on with that "boner enhancing magic" :)

Watching Rena betray Keiichi was hilarious.

I don't like Rika as much anymore. I hate it when characters pretend to be cute when really they are very cold and distant on the inside.

As long as we get an answer arc at the end of every story arc, I'm find with a little bit of moeblob-cuteness for 1 episode.

It seems like Rika is capable of remembering stuff before the time loops. Interesting.

4/5

Dec 17, 2014 8:48 AM

Apr 2012
mild_even said:
I liked the playfulness of this episode. Now that they got that out of the way... on to the twisted stuff.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Dec 31, 2014 3:06 AM

Oct 2014
minouneetzoe said:

Rena used seduction. It is super effective!

FTFY

Awesome episode indeed
Rena's seduction was awesome and Shion and Mion tricked everyone and that swan was hilarious
Still waiting for gore/blood though
Jan 1, 2015 12:37 AM

Dec 2014
tainteddonut said:

About Satoko's injection, I'd had a guess that it's used to suppress her memories. At the end of the episode Rika was rather disturbed when Satoko seemed to recall a quote that Keiichi had said before. Whereas in the first season the drug they injected Keiichi with made him suicidal.

I agree with the injections in THIS arc and THIS reality as being a suppressant! That's what I initially thought.

lakshika said:

it contains the same stuff that make people go crazy namely its the parasitic bacteria if my theory is correct when you inject a person who is not from hinamozawa they go insane in a instant eg- keiichi, rika, that camera guy! :3 we will see what happens :3

WRONG- Why would Rika, who loves her friends let Satoko inject herself infront of her with a virus?? wow... just wow.

Also WRONG because Rena and Shion were never injected and went crazy on their own, in Season 1. The bacterium's already in the blood from the water marsh nearby, It is mentioned, in season 2 ep 1.

My theory... Once they began getting suspicious (already on their own or because someone plants seeds of doubt in their mind via conversations) the virus/maggots trigger them to go full crazy... Maybe the 'cure' or injection was given too late in those cases of Keiichi. Although, In season 1 we find out that Keichii was hallucinating and it was not a syringe but a Marker/pen. (it is almost like that arc doesn't count because it hasn't been explained yet. So don't let it confuse you)

So what I am saying is Keichii and Rika were given the injection at the peak of their insanity. (Past the point of return) and the disease progressed and they kill themselves because they felt the maggots crawling, sending them into hyper-possessed mode and becoming suicidal. Takano, keicheii clawed their throats to death. Rika stabbed herself (maybe to cut the maggots out?).<<<<<<After receiving the injection
Something to note: Rena clawed at her wrists and neck to get the maggots out.(S1 within the last 3-4eps) Rena didnt receive an injection (Season 1 "Earth Invasion (Chapter: Atonement, Part 4)") and maybe thats why her and Shion (season 1 Meakashi-hen arc) realized their mistakes in time and were able to cry it out and not be pushed to the point of suicide.

School scene was cute but not my cup of tea at all. It wasn't a complete waste because there's some metaphors in the game they were playing. 'Pretend you are a zombie (one of them) and you'll survive' etc you have to read between the lines a little bit.

Pedo, lolicon, Pantsu is not cute... its creepy and a culture encouraging this behavior is a little disturbing but I am tolerant of other people's cultures... just not comfortable with it.

Lastly yes it is looping again. We have the aliens theory explained and the volcanic eruption of gas explained sorta at this point. We will have to be patient on having the time loop explained.

HOPE THIS HELPS some other people who cometwo years from now >.< lmao!
Ep3 leggo!
LV_DawnJan 1, 2015 1:07 AM
Please add something new to the Thread. If you are just going to agree with everyone else, and not add anything significant, Please do NOT re-post/re-word/repeat what someone else has said. I hate reading 9pgs of parrots and copycats. #BEORIGINAL
Feb 9, 2015 9:09 PM

Jan 2014
avrc said:
I was wondering, at the beginning of the episode, Satoko injected something in her body. There aren't any specific details yet but could that be the substance that Rena and Mion injected in Keiichi in the first arc of the first season? Maybe that was the experiment of the Sonozaki family? Any thoughts?

im thinking the same thing actually :o we shall see

i love the op so much, its a step up from last season i think. the ed preview though... lol its kinda like a guillotine xD. and whos that girl with rika? shes also in the op, so im gonna bet shes the "other" rika, aka oyashiro-sama. although, i was expecting a grown woman, that girl is just as tiny as rika haha

EDIT: my theory about the syringes is that they're to cure the bacteria, not infect people. evidence: keiichi didn't take the syringe, and he clawed his throat bc he was infected. shion didn't take it, and she went insane (dont remember any throat clawing but it was probably off screen). it was revealed that rika tried to give it to rena, and she went crazy too. however, she remembered and "got better", which was highly unlikely; rika called it a "miracle". what she expected to happen was that rena would claw her throat and die (even rena herself predicted it). so the syringe is meant to help, and rika was using satoko to test it. i dont think satoko has any special genes or anything, im pretty sure she could use any hinamizawa inhabitant. i just think she's the most convenient for rika since they live in the same house. in fact, rika would probably test it on herself, but since she's like part of oyashiro-sama (if the alien thing is correct then maybe she's part alien O.o), i think it's not compatible with her body, which is why when she attempted to inject shion and shion injected her, it nearly killed her.
laputiaFeb 9, 2015 9:20 PM
Mar 23, 2015 7:56 AM
Nov 2014
This episode was funny haha.

Especially when Kei tried to hide his boner lol.

I expect things to go darker.
Apr 30, 2015 2:56 PM

Jul 2008
I had forgotten about the "club" activities. Hilarious stuff, but then we get the end scene and realize its about go to shit once again.
May 17, 2015 10:40 PM
Jul 2018
Beedlebud said:
It's so weird seeing Shion in class with them...

^[i]En guarde![/i]

This was a great episode. The comic relief was much needed. Seriously, this episode gave a "human" breath into the whole Higurashi experience. Indeed, what happens next will surely be either a mind-bender or a murder (again)...

I sensed that ecchi coming on when Rena baited Keiichi! Even funnier when Satoko didn't understand why he was crossing his legs, lol.

Welp, let's see what happens next with our good ol' friends Tanako and Tomitake!
May 26, 2015 9:02 PM

Feb 2013
Hmm, Keiichi has never been that nonchalant before when learning about the murders, perhaps just like Rika he can now fully remember what's happened in the previous worlds? Also it seems like Satoko might be starting to remember as well, since she repeated exactly what Keiichi said in the last world.

But yeah, this was obviously the routine *everything is great* episode. Which means next episode is when everything will start to go horribly wrong.
Shape430May 26, 2015 9:56 PM
Jun 22, 2015 10:37 PM

Feb 2015
Tag has never been so awesome. Funny episode with the usual ominous setup for what comes afterwards is still done well. Poor little Rika.
Oct 18, 2015 5:45 AM

Nov 2011
The usual lighthearted episode that kick starts an arc, before shitstorm.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Nov 25, 2015 10:54 AM

Nov 2011
That was fun. Every time I see the Tomikate Takano Pair I giggle because I know that they always die first. And having Shion part of the gang was nice.
A bit weirded out by her protecting Sakoto considering what she did to her last time...
May 30, 2016 10:07 AM

Sep 2014
Indeed this Episode was quite funny but i know what truly lies ahead.
Sep 3, 2016 4:39 PM
Nov 2010
zacrathedemon5 said:
I really hope that 10 minute long tag sequence ends up being justified somehow later. Otherwise, it easily could have and should have been cut down by at least half.

I would tend to concur. I kept waiting for a specific indicator of symbolism, but it just kind of went on and on.

Seeing as this was the beginning of a new season, they might have been working on additional backgrounds and art for upcoming episodes and needed to extend the running length here with existing assets... Doesn't seem like we needed all that filler just to establish tone.
Oct 23, 2016 3:26 AM

Aug 2016
Shion looks so cute......
Wait
how did Kei and Satoko repeat the phrase unconsciously??
Feb 15, 2017 7:11 AM

Jan 2016
I'm surprised I found this episode very funny. o_o
I expected the humor to be cringey and out of place, but I got used to it quickly.

Such is the greatness of Higurashi...
Apr 7, 2018 9:24 PM

Aug 2014
Why are people talking about the injection Mion and Rena was going to give Keiichi in the first arc? He was imagining things.. They were holding a marker as they were going to draw on his face as part of the punishment game.
Sep 7, 2019 8:36 AM

Mar 2019
I feel Rika's sadness 。゚(゚∩´﹏`∩゚)゚。
Sep 18, 2019 11:14 PM

Aug 2007
Hm, I actually enjoyed this. I felt like this helps make the characters more likable than the first season. A lot of them were very hollow despite traumatic pasts and complex story pattern.

Oct 9, 2019 9:06 PM

Feb 2014
A lot of funny moments and cute girls in bloomers, that's one way to start a horror anime.
Apr 24, 2020 2:39 AM

Feb 2018
Rika and Rena is so cute...
May 27, 2020 7:46 AM

May 2018
Rika is so kawaii~~

Ni-pah ni-pah~~

I am still dreading the time Shion spends with Sakoto, considering what happened to them in the Watanagashi arc
Jun 27, 2020 2:41 AM

Apr 2020
I forgot what this show is all about, until Tomitake and Takano showed up. Lol.
Jul 13, 2020 10:17 PM

Aug 2018
great episode! The part when those girls were calling Keiichi a pervert was so hilarious!

Sep 17, 2020 8:49 AM

Apr 2013
Keiichi can be quite the horndog apparently. Seems like another timeline started, this time with Shion being there from the very first episode. Wonder how many parts we'll get this time and it they will make any sense in the end.
Oct 16, 2020 6:48 PM

Apr 2020
Funny and cute episode... just waiting for things to get sus.
Oct 22, 2020 7:39 AM
Oct 2019
So we back at it again, now this time Shion join the class...
Also Satoko inject something to herself, i wonder...

The comedy was Hilarious, I'm laughing extremely hard...

But hey Rika-chan said Nii-paa twice in this episode, I'm happy😁
Oct 30, 2020 2:16 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
The new brand arc with a lot of improvement. Either its art and the brighteness, the story wise, plot wise and completely brand new characteristic (such as Shion regain the message of Satoshi from the pastand no jealousy coming up from her, caused her to be in a good side, in the school, then giving much affection to Satoko. But how long that side would survive?). I wonder if the parallel world and the whole arc became a better and better in terms of understanding. Kek!

Rika, or i would call her Oyashiro-sama on these season, realized something different happen on these arc, and she gained the last memories that happened from the Atonement arc. Even though its still looping back the whole situations from the beginning, curious to see why Oyashiro-sama didn't want to tell the truth about her trueself to Satoko. Her worried really understandable. She was so tireful with the whole same event again, and again!

Also, Keiichi looks like learnt from his mistake in the other world by saying a wise words. Its really a nice progression over the first arc and continued from the last Atonement arc. Or maybe, Keiichi really regained his memories again on these arc? Still knew nothing. I even suggest that Miyo was actually the same being like Oyashiro-sama. But, on my guess, she just completely in a different goals than Rika. Well, for clearing my wild guess, lets see the continuations at the next episode, then!

Ah, about the zombie tag team too. I wonder if it had a hidden meaning against what really happening at the entire first season? Even Mion-Shion faking their zombie identity too. And that syringe injection, it was really some kind of suppresion drug to prevent any demonic side happened to the victim. And also explained how Satoko never gone crazy and feel the same curses like her brother. Lol, nice answer, finally!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Nov 10, 2020 10:17 PM

Oct 2016
Great episode damn, even Rika is getting tired of finding that perfect world where everybody is happy. Rika needs a hug :(

Overall hilarious episode especially those club activities this episode. Lmao, Mion has no chill with those blackmails lmao. "Keiichi your house is on fire", "A jet landed on your house" Jeezuz lmao. That punishment outfit though. And of course Rena saying "Omichikaeri" will never get old.

It's also cool to see Shion transferring to their school so she can look after Satoko. And that injection that Rika is making Satoko do is probably like a vaccine or something so, she won't become affected by the curse. Looking forward to finding out more answers in this arc.
Nov 19, 2020 4:00 AM

Feb 2017
Oh, now I understand. The ritual shrine shed or whatever is where everyone gets infected by the parasite — that’s why Satoko needs those injections, which stop the parasites from taking over. That’s why everyone who enters the shed succumbs or gets killed in the second arc, and why Takano and the photographer die in each timeline.

Does that mean Takano is purposefully infecting people in each timeline since she’s dead before the festival and all?

I assume there’s a second source somewhere that got Keiichi in the first and third arcs, Rena in the previous arc (although she seemed to have it her entire life?), and presumably also Satoshi? I’m missing the connection there. Doctor Irie has some suspicious ties but he also seems to potentially be the source of the injections that block the parasite, seeing as he wanted to give Keiichi one in Curse Killing.

Is it just me or did the animation look a lot worse this episode?

I suppose everyone learning from previous timelines explains how each timeline is different. It’s clearly not just Keiichi’s friend speeches — Shion seems to have drastically changed from her realizations after killing Satoko, and is now honouring Satoshi’s last request. (I’m still curious where Shion slides into the initial timeline.) It’s sad that this seems to be the best timeline yet because of everyone learning; I’m sure it’s only going to blow up even more painfully than before.
Mar 18, 2021 1:24 AM

May 2020
Fun episode, I liked the playfulness and silliness of this episode. It also revealed a lot as well; I think Rika mentioned something about Keiichi being able to remember things from a different timeline which confirms that there are multiple timelines in this show. Also the injection thing in the beginning was kind of weird, it doesn't appear to be the same injection that was in the Shion vs Rika fight last season.

"Anti-pubescent boy hardening magic" made me laugh out loud as well hahaha.
May 21, 2021 12:02 PM

Aug 2013
A relaxing episode where everyone is having fun before things get ugly.

Rena fooled Keiichi so bad. And the rumours Mion spread... I feel sorry for the guy. XD

Dec 10, 2021 4:40 AM
Jul 2021
this episode showed the true nature of higurashi; the calmness before the storm.
Dec 17, 2021 7:17 AM

Aug 2020
And thus, the time loop has reset.

The gang is slowly remembering the past time loops. Slowly but surely.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Mar 24, 2022 7:17 AM

Dec 2015
Apparently, they are adapting the laid-back moments from the sound novels, with a unique spin of the story being this way ahead already.

The tag game was in Mion's route and in the next episode baseball game is in Satoko's route.
Jun 4, 2022 12:51 PM
Nov 2020
This episode was pretty funny till halfway.
So this is another timeline and nobody remembers the previous events.
Also this explains why rika acted like she knew everything in the previous season as she actually knew everything and when others showed some angry or sad reaction rika remained silent
Jul 14, 2022 8:46 AM

May 2016
Seems like its another Hinamizawa from season 1, I'm looking forward to this time set up.
May 30, 2023 11:38 AM
Aug 2020
banger, most slice of life episode yet amen
Nov 12, 2023 6:37 PM
Jul 2017
idk this isn't making much sense
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Entropy - Sep 24, 2007

141 by benisgu »»
Apr 6, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

protoman96 - Jul 5, 2007

166 by Vincentie »»
Mar 19, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Entropy - Oct 1, 2007

216 by ghostgirl_ »»
Mar 14, 4:06 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Entropy - Sep 6, 2007

120 by benisgu »»
Mar 2, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

LunarEmerald - Oct 29, 2007

100 by Drinzen »»
Feb 9, 4:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.