Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 19, 2018 4:49 PM

Sep 2016
most interesting historical documentary i've ever seen
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
May 3, 2018 9:32 AM
Sep 2016
This was a history lesson. In any other anime, that would make it fuller. Instead, the parallels that can be drawn from Rudolf Von Goldenbaum to both Yang and Reinhard, and the ongoing questioning if the Alliance’s validity in a post-Goldenbaum universe, make this unskippable.

As far as the strippers go? “If everybody looked the same, we’d get tired of looking at each other.” Although TITS OOT surprised me a little.
Sep 5, 2018 4:29 PM
Apr 2018
Jesus, this was an actual documentary. We even had a guy sitting there, talking. Now I finally understand all the background
Sep 21, 2018 1:34 AM

Feb 2017
Of course Julian's computer looks like it has a slightly more futuristic version of an operating system from the late 80s / early 90s.
Mar 6, 2019 11:53 PM

Aug 2017
History goes full circle, FPA just looks like the Federation during its demise. I wonder who will become the second Rudolf. Hope it's not Yang :D He has his principles, at the very least. I guess even if Yang was "forced" to establish a military dictatorship (as suggested by many characters in the series), it would look like Reinhard's Empire.
Nov 4, 2019 4:48 AM

Oct 2012
"Those Who Do Not Learn History Are Doomed To Repeat It"
And it will always be, be it now or the future, it'll always repeat itself until the humanity is gone
This reminds me a lot of "I have no mouth and I must scream"

Well this is really good for the Empire, Alliance have to way to win
They need "Miracle" xD
"Signature removed"
Dec 26, 2019 6:12 PM

Nov 2016
This was quite insightful and funny to boot. I still want to erase the picture of those fat strippers from my memories xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 2, 2020 12:46 AM

Jan 2016
Well if modern decadence is any measure to go by, I will say that we will be getting a galactic empire soon. That would be nice.
Apr 23, 2020 11:23 AM

Jul 2019
So it was basically the Weimar Republic followed by a fascist state trying to fix such a debauchery but making things worse. The whole point of this episode is, of course, that history will repeat itself as long as we keep ignoring it, "read a book kids".

I love how this series is not praising the democratic period prior to Rudolf, and recognizes it served him to seize power and curtail individual freedoms with an overwhelming support of the citizens, unlike so many modern historians worshiping Weimar style periods just for being the polar opposite of fascism.
Oct 14, 2020 10:20 AM

Jan 2020
If only every episode were like this one, Yang would be proud.
Nov 23, 2020 10:29 PM
Jun 2017
So far one of my favourite episodes, which totally deserves to be rewatched.

About Rudolf von Goldenbaum's ascension to power, you could say it was the typical one. Charismatic, good with the masses, a saviour of the people against the unlawfulness, a young brilliant man and most importantly, a nationalist ex-soldier. Usually, the mix of these ingredients give birth to the perfect dictator cocktail: Caesar, Napoleon and Hitler are the most famous examples.
It was very interesting to see how the Empire was modelled to his image, making it a German-influenced one.

It's a shame we didn't get much of his successor. The successors are very interesting figures on their own. Augustus, Tiberius and Louis-Philippe* all walked through a narrow path, where every step could mean the regression to the past order. If the successor succeeds in staying in office, that means his predecessor made a good job and his new order was indeed secured.

Anyway, one thing I deeply wonder is how the Alliance managed to build it's own civilization while supposedly being on their own. You cannot make buildings and the like out of the wreckage of the colony ship and make it transform into a fully fledged civilization without the support of a beforehand-ed industry. Anyway, we can just assume it was all done thanks to some smuggling and the like.

All in all, this is one of the best episodes in the series so far, but that's just more because of a personal liking for History.
May 7, 2021 3:53 AM

Jul 2016
SaiDrew said:
Jesus, this was an actual documentary. We even had a guy sitting there, talking. Now I finally understand all the background

Was a really clever way to do the backstory instead of making it follow someone like Goldenbaum.
Jul 23, 2021 11:21 AM

Jun 2020
did eugenics science get destroyed w terra or smth?
Sep 8, 2021 2:37 PM

Feb 2012
2021 Rewatch

All of this info is actually is in the first volume of the novel. The OVA has framed it as the documentary Julian watches as his shuttle goes to Heinessen.

History of the galactic federation; a stagnant democracy with pirates in the lawless frontiers. The lack of belief in a divine saviour goes from encouraging self-reliance to pessimism. The masses not wanting to be responsible allow in the dictator who is.

"consul for life" wow. That speech...Rudolf having a male heir with "Congenital Idiocy" really embarrassed him, having passed the Inferior Genes Exclusion Act.

First we get to see of Arle Heinessen and his famous ship made of dry ice...

At the end, Julian reflects on what Yang told him in the previous episode; that Reinhard's reforms may mean that the alliance is not need anymore.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Dec 21, 2021 9:14 AM
Nov 2020
I think this might be my new favorite episode...
Jan 3, 2022 11:39 PM

Sep 2020
This episode contained a lot of historical details about the free pirates alliance and the empire might become my new fav ep besides ep 26
Mar 3, 2022 7:09 PM

Oct 2013
Seeing a floppy disc is hilariously anachronistic. It's understandable that they used it given how old the series is but it still made me laugh out loud.

"The kindest person in the room is often the smartest."
Mar 14, 2022 2:52 PM

Jul 2015
mozgow said:
Fronzel said:
Do we have to assume that the war, which we've several times already seen kill millions in single battles, is to blame?

I don't know. If nothing mayor happened until first contact between FPA and GE, then it would mean more than 2 billion people died each year after the war started. It's not impossible, but really hard to believe.
6 years late with my input, hope you don't mind. But I have also noticed this detail watching the episode, so I've come to this thread, seeing if people discussed it.

And yes, as it turns out, this is just bad worldbuilding. No satisfactory explanation was offered for the (more than) steep decline.
The most likely explanation is that the authors are just bad with numbers and botched it.

Also @Fronzel
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Mar 14, 2022 3:34 PM

Jul 2014
Railey2 said:
6 years late with my input, hope you don't mind.
I don't mind :)
But it's really been six years since I've watched it...

Railey2 said:
But I have also noticed this detail watching the episode, so I've come to this thread, seeing if people discussed it.

And yes, as it turns out, this is just bad worldbuilding. No satisfactory explanation was offered for the (more than) steep decline.
The most likely explanation is that the authors are just bad with numbers and botched it.

Also @Fronzel
The other explanation might be the novels did mention what happened but the anime adaption did not bother to do it (as something "not important").
Mar 14, 2022 3:59 PM

Jul 2015
mozgow said:
Railey2 said:
6 years late with my input, hope you don't mind.

Railey2 said:
But I have also noticed this detail watching the episode, so I've come to this thread, seeing if people discussed it.

Also @Fronzel
The other explanation might be the novels did mention what happened but the anime adaption did not bother to do it (as something "not important").
seems unlikely to me, but maybe there'll be a LOTGH-expert who proves me wrong in another 6 years? They better have a good explanation for a more than 80% drop in population over like what, 200 years? Maybe the aliens attacked? ;)

Here's to hoping. Cheers~
Railey2Mar 14, 2022 4:07 PM

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

Mar 15, 2022 3:04 AM

Nov 2018
Railey2 said:
mozgow said:

seems unlikely to me, but maybe there'll be a LOTGH-expert who proves me wrong in another 6 years? They better have a good explanation for a more than 80% drop in population over like what, 200 years? Maybe the aliens attacked? ;)

According to the novels:

"Moreover, the total population of humanity, which had numbered three hundred billion at the height of the Galactic Federation’s prosperity, had by this time plummeted to forty billion, due to the long years of chaos."

So I guess the war and other hardships happening over a couple hundred years cause humanity to decline, like what we're expecting to see happen to the likes of Japan by 2050 (125 million to 100 million.)

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Mar 15, 2022 6:52 AM

Jul 2015
_cjessop19_ said:
Railey2 said:

According to the novels:

"Moreover, the total population of humanity, which had numbered three hundred billion at the height of the Galactic Federation’s prosperity, had by this time plummeted to forty billion, due to the long years of chaos."

So I guess the war and other hardships happening over a couple hundred years cause humanity to decline, like what we're expecting to see happen to the likes of Japan by 2050 (125 million to 100 million.)
yeah and this is just bad worldbuilding imo.

40 is just 13.3% of 300. To get that low within just a handful of generations, you'd have to see genocide on an unprecedented scale. It would actually have to be so bad that it'd make the original Goldenbaum guy look like Gandhi. Societal collapse would be inevitable.

They definitely messed up the numbers. Even more curious that the anime did not bother to mention this at all, they just kinda glossed over it. To make another comparison, a similar drop would be Japan reaching a population of just 16 million people, which is just a little less than the population of the Netherlands, and also a long shot from any projections.

Nope, not buying it. Not buying it at all. But thanks for the info anyways.
Railey2Mar 15, 2022 10:46 AM

Mar 15, 2022 8:01 AM

Jun 2009
Railey2 said:
_cjessop19_ said:

According to the novels:

To get that low within just a handful of generations, you'd have to see genocide on an unprecedented scale. It would actually have to be so bad that it'd make the original Goldenbaum guy look like Gandhi. Societal collapse would be inevitable.

do you actually watch anime or are you one of those people that watch at 2x the speed on a second monitor while also on your phone? did you miss all the mentions and actual happenings of multi-million casualty space battles in this multi-hundred year war?
Mar 15, 2022 10:43 AM

Jul 2015
Tyestor said:
Railey2 said:

To get that low within just a handful of generations, you'd have to see genocide on an unprecedented scale. It would actually have to be so bad that it'd make the original Goldenbaum guy look like Gandhi. Societal collapse would be inevitable.

do you actually watch anime or are you one of those people that watch at 2x the speed on a second monitor while also on your phone? did you miss all the mentions and actual happenings of multi-million casualty space battles in this multi-hundred year war?
just like the writers, you are also bad with numbers.

A few battles where a couple million people die are not nearly enough to explain a 90% drop in population. 260 BILLION people is a whole different order of magnitude. Multiple orders of magnitude, in fact. You can take some time and learn the difference between a million and a billion now, better late than never I say.

Don't defend the indefensible. Populations don't decrease by that much, not even during war, unless there's some serious genocide. But of that, there was no mention. It's just bad woldbuilding.

May 22, 2022 5:19 PM

Dec 2007
yeah, the anime universe history is like repeating ww2 events and the nazis, lol.
still, the way the anime presented them, had deep meaning in saying how humankind will never change, and always will go to some point. exactly as the opening notes says.

must say though, that the way the history started was kind of interesting and original way, with the pirates of space thingy lol.
also the fact that democracy isn't necessarily good thing, and dictatorship isn't bad at the most.
by far i see how the anime is preferring reinhard ruling with government reforms over corrupted democracy. but in this episode it's seems to think the neutral way.
User-NameMay 22, 2022 5:26 PM
Jul 2, 2022 6:52 AM
Jun 2022
So, it’s a history lesson episode… NICE

As a fan of history myself, I must say I loved this episode. It is not only a great overview on LOGH’s universe, but also a cautionary tale about degenerate progressivism x backwards traditionalism, and how both lead to death and suffering. It’s fantastic to see such care and attention put to a very well-paced episode (it felt like watching an one hour documentary without the boring parts).

Excited to see how history repeats itself, now lead by two great minds in the form of Yang and Reinhardt…
Nov 12, 2022 10:42 PM

Dec 2020
I could be wrong, but I remember a few episodes back someone said Lohengramm was close to becoming a new Rudolf in his ways if he kept going the way he was,
if that's the case that might make more sense now with how the Goldenbaum Dynasty was driven out of the empire

although not too much going on this episode, the history lesson was kind of a neat way of teaching this information, it's way better than if they dumped all this knowledge at episode 4 or so just for everyone to forget it later on like with how some shows feel.
I like Közi a healthy amount.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This is no joke I'm really going to do it this time.
Nov 12, 2022 10:48 PM

Jul 2019
User-Name said:
must say though, that the way the history started was kind of interesting and original way, with the pirates of space thingy lol.
also the fact that democracy isn't necessarily good thing, and dictatorship isn't bad at the most.
by far i see how the anime is preferring reinhard ruling with government reforms over corrupted democracy. but in this episode it's seems to think the neutral way

The best of LoGH. It presents things in gray areas and never blinds itself to one ideology.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Nov 19, 2022 4:05 PM

May 2018
Great history lesson! Also teaches us some valuable lessons
Jan 9, 2023 1:45 AM

Aug 2018
Really well put historic episode, can't believe I enjoyed it this much. Really  happy to finally get to know history of the this universe better.

It seems that Rudolf ruling, besides certain small differences reminds of certain other historical ruler and his methods. But as they say, mankind keeps repeating the same historical mistakes over and over again.

We really need more episodes like this in anime, it just does whole history telling so fairly and admirabliy
Feb 24, 2023 4:53 AM

Jul 2017
one of my favorite episode of the show, very well done.
''Touch the darkness inside me''
Jun 17, 2023 1:09 PM
Sep 2016
Another great episode a tad slower than the previous one though. Just personal complaint lol
Oct 28, 2023 1:44 AM
Jul 2021
Damn this series isn't just a timeless classic, but also an Oracle! This episode predicted 25+ years ago the 2010/2020, don't to a T! Wow just wow

Everything Julian saw on the PC in his quarter is what we are living through right now!
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Feb 16, 10:02 AM
May 2023
A really well made historical episode. This episode perfectly capture how real life dictator play in on the fear of breakdown of law and order to gain power and ruthlessly suppressed their opponent once they gain their cult of personality. Wish more anime attempt this style of episode format.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

58 by ELuck42 »»
Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.