Forums
New
Pages (35) « First ... « 26 27 [28] 29 30 » ... Last »
Apr 18, 2015 3:30 PM

Aug 2007
SeijiSensei said:
SpaceHamster said:

Because the hate is real it seems.

I think it's the contingent that thinks it's somehow cool to dismiss Crunchyroll in favor of illegal streams and torrents. Because, you know, anime is produced by magical fairies who never need to eat.

Lol the starving artist argument.

cenkiss said:
Phyleron said:
CR earned it's bad reputation in the past. It's changed a lot, but reputations don't fade quickly.

1. They were actual thieves, earning profit from streaming anime illegally. Most of the anime community follows fansubs of unlicensed series, where a free translation service is provided for sharing a series among fellow fans. The DVDRip community is separate from the fansubbers, and even then the rippers usually encourage financially supporting series you like.

2. CR not only made money off stealing shows, they stole fansubs and made money off them, claiming the stolen fansubs as their own without even bothering to strip the subber tags. CR made money from stealing shows, which is anathema to everything the anime community follows.

3. CR was a ripoff, streaming crappy quality video as they committed the above offenses. So not only was it morally offensive, they didn't even have the decency to do a good job of it.

4. The CR forum community was a cesspool. Enough said.

That's the past that earned CR the bad reputation. The new CR has different issues:

5. The thieves converted to "legal" - i.e. still trying to rip people off to make money off anime that would have been shared freely otherwise

6. They don't publish DVDs, so anything they license is dead in the water in terms of anime collections. DVDs have been the traditional route of non-Japanese fans financially supporting anime they enjoy, so this also interferes with that.

7. Their quality is still pretty crappy. The translations on various shows have had blatant errors, poor editing, and are generally shoddy compared to the quality of most of the top fansub groups.

8. CR has been poaching series by offering to be "cheap and easy" licensing and profit, basically the Chinese Outsourcing of licensing companies. This makes it tougher for the core licensing companies, like Funimation, etc., to survive and thrive.

While what they offer isn't really too bad, and probably seems pretty spiffy to the Youtube Newbies who still stream anime and have just discovered CR, money paid to them pretty much stops there. You're not financially supporting your favorite series, you're not supporting the US anime industry, and you're just helping to eat away at the foundations of the strong anime community that has been supporting the entire US anime industry since the start.

Watching anime on TV (like on Toonami when it was awesome), being vocal about your support for series, buying DVDs and secondary goods, and drawing in others to anime fandom are ways to actually support the US and Japanese anime industries. Subscribing to CR does not make you morally righteous compared to the "thieves" who watch fansubs and buy DVDs and other goods.

And, amusingly, CR gets poached now in the same way they did before, with numerous stream-ripping groups posting torrents for all of their 480p and 720p show streams. Except those groups don't scam money off of it.

I don't particularly hate CR, but I don't think it deserves such glowing praise from people who only heard of it recently.

There is no difference between watching anime on tv or in crunchyroll streaming. Most anime don't come to tv. Tv is limited. Actually streaming is better for anime industry since they can know how many people watched the show and they can directly profit with ads or subscriptions.

Why do need to wait hours to download stuff that i will watch only once ?

If it takes you "hours" to download stuff then you need a better internet service.
Apr 18, 2015 10:11 PM

May 2010
I have a crunchyroll membership and I'd say that I enjoy having it. It's really nice to watch some anime on my TV in high quality. I don't like it as much on my computer because sometimes it lags though. But I really just wanna support the anime industry in any way I can, and it's only $6.95 a month so it's nothing much.
Apr 18, 2015 10:15 PM

Sep 2014
Crunchyroll is awesome(well except the name lol), and this is the first time I ever heard of there being people hating on Crunchyroll.
Apr 18, 2015 10:16 PM

Feb 2014
They basically make you pay for ad-free Anime and latest one while you can get them from horriblesubs.
Apr 18, 2015 10:33 PM

Jul 2010
Main reason I love CR is because I can stream their shows from my smartphone to my TV using their handy little app.

It's just nice being able to browse through anime on my phone and then cast it to the TV. Simple and convenient.
Apr 18, 2015 10:39 PM

Jan 2015
I hate crunchyroll because I have no access to it in Australia.
Apr 19, 2015 12:45 AM

Jan 2009
FahtahSensei said:

[spoiler]Spring 2015 simulcast
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1368266&show=0

Crunchyroll
  • Baby Steps 2nd Season
    Territories: North American, Central and South America, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, and Turkey.
    Streaming Dates: Sundays, starting on April 5 at 3:00 a.m. PST.

• Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken 2 Sure-me (I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying Second Season)
    Territories: Worldwide excluding Japan.
    Streaming Dates: Thursdays, starting on April 2 at 11:30 a.m. PST.

• Diamond no Ace: Second Season (Ace of Diamond: Second Season)
    Territories: Worldwide excluding Asia.
    Streaming Dates: Mondays, starting on April 6 at 3:30 a.m. PST.

• Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka (Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?)
    Territories: North America, Central and South America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom, Ireland, Netherlands, Scandinavia, Turkey, and the Middle East.
    Note: Streaming in the Netherlands, Scandinavia and Turkey will be delayed by 60 days.
    Streaming Dates: Fridays, starting on April 3 at 10:30 a.m. PST.

• Etotama
    Streaming Dates: Thursday, starting on April 9 at 8:30 a.m. PST.

• Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic
    Territories: North America, Central and South America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa.
    Streaming Dates: Sundays, starting on April 5 at 9:30 a.m. PST.

• Houkago no Pleiades (TV) (Wish Upon the Pleiades)
    Territories: North America, Central and South America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa.
    Streaming Dates: Wednesday, starting on April 8 at 12:15 p.m. PST.

• Hibike! Euphonium (Sound! Euphonium)
    Streaming Dates: Tuesdays, starting on April 7 at 10:00 a.m. PST.

• Kaitou Joker 2nd Season
    Streaming Dates: Mondays, starting on April 6 at 10:00 a.m. PST.

• Gintama°
    Streaming Dates: Wednesday, starting on April 8 at 3:30 a.m. PST.

• Kyoukai no Rinne (TV) (Rin-ne)
    Territories: North America, Central and South America, Australia, and New Zealand.
    Streaming Dates: Wednesdays, starting on April 8 at 12:00 a.m. PST.

• Ore Monogatari!! (My Love Story!!)
    Territories: North America, Central and South America, Australia and New Zealand, South Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa.
    Streaming Dates: Wednesdays, starting on April 8 at 12:00 p.m. PST.

• Punchline
    Territories: North America, Central and South America, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa.
    Streaming Dates: Thursdays, starting on April 9 at 11:30 a.m. PST.

• Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold
    Territories: North America, and premium members in Central and South America, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Europe (excluding French speaking countries), the Middle East and North Africa, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Kazakhstan.
    Streaming Dates: Fridays, starting on April 10 at 8:00 a.m. PST.

• Shokugeki no Souma (Food Wars)
    Territories: North America, Central and South America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Europe (excluding French speaking territories and Italian speaking territories), the Middle East, and North Africa.
    Streaming Dates: Fridays, starting on April 3 at 12:25 p.m. PST.

• Takamiya Nasuno Desu!: Teekyuu Spin-off
    Territories: North America, South America, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden.
    Streaming Dates: Mondays, starting on April 6 at 10:32 PST.

• Teekyuu 4
    Territories: North America, South America, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden.
    Streaming Dates: Mondays, starting on April 6 at 10:30 PST.

• Tesagure! Bukatsumono Spin-off Purupurun Sharumu to Asobou
    Territories: North America, Central and South America, Australia and New Zealand, South Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa.
    Streaming Dates: Saturdays, starting on April 4 at 12:30 p.m. PST.

• Urawa no Usagi-chan
    Streaming Dates: Thursday, starting on April 9 at 10:30 am PST.

• Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love Revolutions
    CR Territories: North America, Central and South America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa.
    Streaming Dates: Saturdays, starting on April 4, 2015 at 10:30 a.m. PST.

• Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo (TV) (Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches)
    Territories: North America, Central and South America, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa.
    Streaming Dates: Sundays, starting on April 12 at 9:30 a.m. PST.

AnimeLab (Oceania)

Hanabee (Oceania)
OkiuraApr 19, 2015 1:28 AM
Apr 19, 2015 1:07 AM

Jan 2015
Okiura said:
FahtahSensei said:

Crunchyroll
  • Baby Steps 2nd Season
    Territories: North American, Central and South America, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, and Turkey.

• Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken 2 Sure-me (I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying Second Season)

• Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka (Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?)
    Territories: North America, Central and South America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom, Ireland, Netherlands, Scandinavia, Turkey, and the Middle East.
    Note: Streaming in the Netherlands, Scandinavia and Turkey will be delayed by 60 days.

• Etotama

• Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Territories: Worlwide excluding Asia.

• Gintama°

Territories: North America, Central and South America, Australia, and New Zealand.

• Punchline
    Territories: North America, Central and South America, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa.

Territories: North America, and premium members in Central and South America, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Europe (excluding French speaking countries), the Middle East and North Africa, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Kazakhstan.

Territories: North America, Central and South America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Europe (excluding French speaking territories and Italian speaking territories), the Middle East, and North Africa.

• Teekyuu 4

• Urawa no Usagi-chan

CR Territories: North America, Central and South America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa.

Territories: North America, Central and South America, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa.

AnimeLab (Oceania)

Hanabee (Oceania)

Ok I will check out animelab and hanabee. Cheers.
Apr 19, 2015 3:33 AM

Apr 2014
Horrible subs have more horrible subs.
Apr 19, 2015 11:23 AM

Aug 2007
FahtahSensei said:
Okiura said:

Crunchyroll
  • Baby Steps 2nd Season

• Etotama

• Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Territories: Worlwide excluding Asia.

• Gintama°

• Punchline

• Teekyuu 4

• Urawa no Usagi-chan

AnimeLab (Oceania)

Hanabee (Oceania)

Good luck. You'll get locked out of most of the series then.
Apr 19, 2015 12:35 PM

Jan 2015
Drunk_Samurai said:
FahtahSensei said:

Good luck. You'll get locked out of most of the series then.

Eh...That's why torrents.
Apr 19, 2015 12:54 PM

Apr 2015
I don't know why, maybe because they want a subscription to watch add free and in full HD?
Personally I love them, £5 a month for as much anime and manga as I want? personally I'd say its a steal! :D
Anime is life!! ^.^

Check out my YouTube channel!:
www.youtube.com/SaiyanKakashi
Apr 19, 2015 12:58 PM

Jun 2014
Trialed Crunchyroll twice.

First time I constantly had loading/video issues, never happened with pirate sites
Second time, same thing but videos did not even have freaking subtitles
Apr 19, 2015 1:09 PM

Jan 2015
It's good on ps4 but they don't have shit. Hulu even has more
Apr 19, 2015 1:11 PM

Apr 2014
Who needs Shittyroll when you have KissAnime?
Also that shit doesn't let me stream ANY anime in my region so I'm part of the people that dislike it/hate it for a reason!
When I'm fucked up that's the real me
Apr 19, 2015 2:34 PM

Jul 2013
retrogamer32x said:
The one thing I would just mention again, reading this thread, is that CR is not the only - or necessarily best - legal way to watch anime online. There's no reason to say "Oh I had issue x with CR, I have no choice but to pirate".

Buying anime or manga in physical format seems like a better option.
Apr 20, 2015 5:15 AM
Apr 2015
because its paid.. xD
Throw me a challenge Elsword India
Apr 25, 2015 9:31 PM
Jul 2018
Not sure why some people dislike it, but Crunchyroll could sometimes place the commercials better. The commercials in White Album 2 are in just awful places. Absolutely awful. In the middle of an emotional scene - it totally breaks the flow and the emotional experience. So for most shows, even new shows, I just skip to the commercial markers, wait for the commercials to end, then go back to the beginning so I can watch the episode straight through.

Anyway, I don't know why people dislike crunchyroll (unless it's only for that reason), but I love it, because it's really the only legal way for me to watch almost any anime since I don't know any japanese.
Apr 25, 2015 9:34 PM

Mar 2015
Because torrenting anime is way superior.
Apr 25, 2015 9:38 PM

Nov 2011
CR is pretty decent if you want to stream your series legally.
otherwise, what above said.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Apr 26, 2015 10:42 PM

Aug 2007
offmodel said:
The one thing I would just mention again, reading this thread, is that CR is not the only - or necessarily best - legal way to watch anime online. There's no reason to say "Oh I had issue x with CR, I have no choice but to pirate".

And the other legal sites all have region locking issues too. So yes there is a reason to say "I have no choice but to pirate."
Apr 26, 2015 11:00 PM

Aug 2007
offmodel said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

And the other legal sites all have region locking issues too. So yes there is a reason to say "I have no choice but to pirate."

I said in another post I don't have a problem with the people in other regions, it's just that you have a lot of my fellow 'Muricans on here who say something like "The sub format on CR is awful, I guess I have to pirate." or "The CR stream is choppy a lot of the time, I have to pirate." I will say it again: If you are in a country where you can't legally stream, do what you've gotta do.

The thing I worry about more is that if the industry doesn't get supported, I don't think it will go quietly. It'll go kicking and screaming (suing torrenters a la FUNi on a much larger scale), which isn't going to apply to just Americans. This is happening right now with some movie studios (just google Voltage Pictures), they're turning piracy into a cottage industry. I would hate to see that happen to anime.

Industry isn't going to die. I'll just use IRC again if they tried to sue torrenters. Plus there are always private trackers if you can get in.
Apr 27, 2015 11:53 AM

Aug 2007
offmodel said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Industry isn't going to die. I'll just use IRC again if they tried to sue torrenters. Plus there are always private trackers if you can get in.

I'd rather not get into all that, but IRC and torrents were always for n00bs. I'm more worried about the fact that you have kids on here who will end up getting their parents sued if/when that happens, hopefully it doesn't. Plus, creators deserve some compensation, damnit.

Explain how IRC is for noobs. It tastes way more work to use IRC and finding what you need. Even more so if you choose to run a fserv yourself. Send the kids my way and I'll teach them how to use IRC.
Apr 27, 2015 12:02 PM

Aug 2014
Compensation would be the pirates buying the blurays maybe at an increased price.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 27, 2015 12:18 PM

Aug 2007
black1blade said:
Compensation would be the pirates buying the blurays maybe at an increased price.

Better than overpricing the fines like 800,000 per song.

offmodel said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Explain how IRC is for noobs.

No.

Oh so you were trolling then. Carry on.
Apr 27, 2015 12:46 PM

Nov 2013
I don't like the interface very much.
mind, body & SOUL

Apr 27, 2015 12:49 PM

Jul 2011
Because so much is locked away from non-muricans. And I'm a non-murican
Apr 27, 2015 12:55 PM

Jun 2014
Region lock issues.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Apr 27, 2015 12:58 PM
Apr 2015
Because people ain't got no money-
Apr 27, 2015 2:26 PM

Mar 2012
Chirikatori said:
They have no money. End of discussion.

You are deluded if you honestly believe it's simply a money issue. There are plenty of people here who could afford to buy and/or support the Anime industry, and don't.

Also, Crunchyroll provides a product that is inferior to pirating or buying physical releases. It's a convenient stream service, especially if you are using it on your tv. Blu-ray or a high quality torrent file are superior to a high quality stream.

I used to be a subscriber, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Crunchyroll definitely has a market and it's not a bad service. It's just not the best way to watch Anime.

EDIT: I do wish more people would experience Anime on Blu-ray to understand quality differences...
Apr 27, 2015 3:03 PM

Feb 2014
It's been mentioned in this thread before, but some of us don't watch on a regular basis. I myself read more than watch to begin with, and I also check out all the physical manga I want from my library. It seems silly to me to pay $60 for a year for something I won't even use a lot.

Apr 27, 2015 3:06 PM

May 2014
Because it costs money.
Apr 27, 2015 3:07 PM

Jun 2013
I like CR. I'm too broke to buy a subscription though, even if it's only $7/month I'm a teenager who blows money on other stuff... and gas.
Apr 27, 2015 3:11 PM

Aug 2014
Because I'm a pauper.
Apr 27, 2015 10:11 PM

Aug 2007
offmodel said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Oh so you were trolling then. Carry on.

I was not, but if you don't know, then you probably haven't been online very long and I'm not going to post about it on an open forum. Sorry.

You claimed IRC was "noob level" without even responding to my actual post. My post shows exactly how IRC wouldn't be "noob" level.
Apr 27, 2015 11:19 PM

Aug 2007
They can't actually track what is downloaded or uploaded on IRC. Only the amount of data. Plus that shit is incredibly old. It's from 2002. Roadrunner doesn't even exist anymore technically.
Apr 27, 2015 11:39 PM

Jan 2013
oktavia-12 said:
It's been mentioned in this thread before, but some of us don't watch on a regular basis. I myself read more than watch to begin with, and I also check out all the physical manga I want from my library. It seems silly to me to pay $60 for a year for something I won't even use a lot.

Just because you don't use or endorse a service doesn't mean you should hate it.
Apr 27, 2015 11:42 PM

Oct 2012
I love CR, but my internet is so shit I can barely stream anything. I torrent more nowadays overnight, or buy the actual DVD/BR.

Also cause it's paid.
Apr 28, 2015 1:55 AM

Aug 2007
Rance-sama said:
oktavia-12 said:

Just because you don't use or endorse a service doesn't mean you should hate it.

I don't see the word hate anywhere in her post.
Apr 28, 2015 2:10 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
At least CR stays ad free with the subscription. I'm paying for Hulu and still have to watch the same goddamn ads over and over again, lol.
KingYoshiApr 28, 2015 2:19 AM
Apr 28, 2015 11:39 AM

Aug 2007
KingYoshi said:
At least CR stays ad free with the subscription. I'm paying for Hulu and still have to watch the same goddamn ads over and over again, lol.

Adblock.
Apr 28, 2015 12:32 PM

Mar 2012
Drunk_Samurai said:
KingYoshi said:

Adblock.

You can't Adblock Hulu
Apr 28, 2015 12:38 PM

Dec 2013
I love using Crunchyroll, but it can be frustrating because of their limited content.
I subscribe to both CR and FUNi, but sometimes you just can't do things legally for some shows.

ex: Rainbow, Monster, Hajime no Ippo (first season), Haruhi, Code Geass.. I could go on and on.
Apr 28, 2015 12:42 PM

Nov 2012
Apr 28, 2015 1:30 PM

Feb 2014
Rance-sama said:
oktavia-12 said:

I don't hate it, I just don't personally use it, or think I should. Not saying it's evil and nobody should, if you don't have the region-lock and watch anime all the time, you can very well use it if you want to. Or don't.

I'm just saying why I personally don't use it.

Apr 28, 2015 1:34 PM

Aug 2014
Sonotoki said:
Streaming in general doesn't let you easily your video renderign to fix issues like these:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/70784
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/70286
- https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/Fixing-Simulcasts

Still banding though. Banding is what will drive me to actually buy the Japanese blu rays for the HF movies. The Japanese market works on the assumption that people may buy 1 show that they really like a season and record the rest on tv. Tv really doesn't make them very much money and crunchy roll even less.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 28, 2015 2:28 PM
Jul 2018
I think is better to pay $7.99 a month instead of buying those expensive Aniplex DVDs.
Apr 28, 2015 4:20 PM

Feb 2015
I love crunchyroll!
Apr 28, 2015 6:59 PM

May 2014
Because some people don't want to pay for their anime.

I pay for Crunchyroll because sometimes, I watch it through my PS3 instead of the computer. ^__^
Apr 29, 2015 6:50 PM

Aug 2007
SecretDinosaur said:
Because some people don't want to pay for their anime.

I pay for Crunchyroll because sometimes, I watch it through my PS3 instead of the computer. ^__^

What if the person can't watch it on their PS3 or computer?
Pages (35) « First ... « 26 27 [28] 29 30 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What makes Anime different from Cartoons ?

tchitchouan - 56 minutes ago

10 by Eleben »»
5 minutes ago

» Have you encountered any waifus that you can ogle 24 hours a day and still not get bored [there are a few]?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

8 by maryam_3 »»
6 minutes ago

» Try describing a lawful, neutral, or chaotic good protagonist or two who would totally be troublesome should he/she/they turn into a villain, without telling us who or which anime or manga, or any other fictional works.

IAmOdie - 4 hours ago

2 by ZeroMajor12 »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - Apr 26

40 by ZeroMajor12 »»
18 minutes ago

» Disney Japan Executive Promises to Censor Anime ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - Yesterday

61 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.