Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 25, 2008 11:27 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I dont know why but I almost got goosebumps when Char confronted Amuro. Its been a long while since they last saw each other so it was a nice reunion which ended typically with Char making a crafty escape. Gotta love that guy.

And could you be more obvious Sayla-san? Dropping a cup right when they're talking about Char is just asking for strange looks, you ditz.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Feb 28, 2010 4:03 PM

May 2009
I loved Amuro vs. Char in this episode, especially with that awesome fighting music, lol.
Mar 30, 2010 5:51 AM

Apr 2009
I miss these Char confrontations.

And I can't believe Amuro destroyed that new MS in just one shot.
I was expecting it to be a fierce tank. Amuro is too good.
Jul 25, 2010 9:03 AM

Aug 2009
That's Char, alright <3
PheefaJul 25, 2010 9:32 AM
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Jul 26, 2010 2:48 PM

Apr 2009
Finally Char... plus that scene with Matilda's possible marriage... touching.
Overall a nice episode.
Jul 29, 2010 2:58 PM

May 2008
If Char is there this series is getting better and better~ I loved the battle but I also feel sorry for Wody. At least he is together with Matilda now....
Dec 23, 2010 11:18 PM

Sep 2009
I really liked the scene with the possible marriage.

The Mass production Gundam seems kind of......weak.
Sep 22, 2011 1:42 PM

Dec 2008
Char FTW!
Nov 16, 2011 8:02 AM

Jul 2008
worst epiosed tell now ...
thuse kids is the worst things in the anime
thy anoing and have no place
and you can't let kids stay in battel ship these is stuped

PS:Char is cool
Jun 22, 2012 2:47 AM

Jan 2012
I really could have done without the kids, but it is good to show a little of how the whole war has impacted the children. As for the reunion of char and amuro, it was good to see that some things don't change. A bunch of zeon suits get killed by amuro and char somehow always gets away. Classic. You also get a better view of kai as being an alright guy in this episode.
Aug 2, 2012 8:10 AM

Sep 2010
Kinda boring, but alright episode. Matilda was supposed to be married to captain Woody (that was his name right)? Well at least they are together in the afterlife.

3/5
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Oct 10, 2012 9:38 PM
Jul 2010
almozayaf said:
worst epiosed tell now ...
thuse kids is the worst things in the anime
thy anoing and have no place
and you can't let kids stay in battel ship these is stuped

Even the anime itself acknowledges that the kids are nothing but a nuisance:

And by the way, did they ever explained why the three of them remained aboard a battleship in the middle of a war and did not left with the rest of evacuees?
Dec 26, 2012 1:57 AM

Jun 2009
I've got to wonder what the fuck Woody thought he was going to do with that aircraft he was using. I thought that was beyond stupid.

Otherwise, a pretty good episode. It was cool to see Amuro and Char fight for the first time in a long time and I liked "what could have been" scene.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 9, 2013 4:14 PM

Feb 2012
This was one of my favourite episodes so far simply because of the action, it just felt so much grander in scale. Char returning to the battlefield was really cool too and yeah Amuro has come a long way!

GM's are a nice addition too it's cool that there are now more Fed mobile suits around.
Apr 14, 2013 3:56 PM

Nov 2011
oh man. I freaked out a bit too much when Char encountered Amuro again. I can't wait for some huge climatic fight between those two.
Jan 14, 2014 8:01 PM
Aug 2011
That little showdown between Amuro and Char was great.
I've been waiting for since like episode 2...
Amuro doesn't exactly hold back but Char is so freaking agile.

stAtic91 said:
I loved Amuro vs. Char in this episode, especially with that awesome fighting music, lol.

Glad I wasn't alone in thinking that the music and the placement of it was awesome.
Feb 10, 2014 9:22 PM

Oct 2013
Woody said Amuro's full name, yet Bright doesn't react to that. Actually it's already past half of series yet they seems to forgotten about Amuro's dad. Or, is it only me thinking about this?

Other than that, great episode!
I love the fight between Amuro and Char.
OrokasukeFeb 11, 2014 9:18 AM
Feb 18, 2014 4:47 AM

Sep 2013
Char is like the saving grace of this otherwise mediocre anime, the showdown indeed gave me goosebumbs which really surprised me.

I don't know what is it about him that makes him such a great villain.

Also, Amuro seems to be finally maturing a bit which is always good. The grander scale of the fight, I also liked.
Mar 11, 2014 2:01 PM

Mar 2013
Char is by far the best character in the series.
Jun 21, 2014 1:50 AM

Jul 2009
Another amazing episode!!!!!!

Char is back with a vengeance!!

So Woody was supposed to marry Matilda once she comes back at Jaburo. She should have stayed on White Base instead of piloting the aircraft and sacrificing her life.

That what if wedding photo was sweet though!

It seems the top brass no who Mira's father is. I wonder if they'll expand it in the coming episodes? :D

Char vs Amuro!! notices how good Amuro has gotten. Yeah it was stupid for Woody for attacking Char with just an aircraft.

Even Char said no way in hell your gonna interfere in our battle.

Seems Sayla has once again realize that Char is here. I wonder if she'll make contact with him??

Awesome stuff!! More Char please!!
Aug 8, 2014 1:28 PM

Apr 2013
The moment when everything stood still with cheesy music and the old enemies staring at each other.... Simply epic!!! *sigh*
May 13, 2015 12:41 PM

Mar 2013
Such a long time since Char VS Amuro
Jul 20, 2015 9:40 PM

Nov 2011
To be fair, Woody did take out Char's main camera, which potentially saved Amuro's life.

I like that Sayla has changed into a combat role, but I have to wonder what would happen if she encountered Char on the battlefield while in one of the Gundam configurations. Would she be able to fight to the best of her ability?

Zeon has dedicated a lot of resources into destroying the White Base and Gundam. At times I question if it's really worth it, but then, I suppose if the Federation got the chance to start pumping out actual Gundams (rather than these GMs), the war would be over for Zeon pretty quickly.

The Char battle didn't disappoint.
Nov 25, 2015 1:57 AM

Jul 2013
No,Kai. You are dumb piece of shit if you think it was Zeon's fault that she died. If someone else was at fault of her dying it was your sorry ass. There was no reason to believe that Zeon's treated her badly.

It was quite the opposite.

And yeah. It was so dumb that they didn't even have a conversation about the kids.
Jan 6, 2016 10:39 AM
Nov 2015
Definitely the biggest battle of the show so far, I liked the epic scale. As mentioned by many above, it was great to see Char and Amuro face off again. A pretty great episode.
May 26, 2016 4:08 AM

Jul 2008
Amuro managed to chase him off, he is getting better.
Jun 10, 2016 6:51 AM

Nov 2011
I can not explain how Kai did not say what happened with Miharu, putting at risk the whole operation; however, the episode is so intense that the time seems to have flown. Apparently, Char is synonymous with quality. He never sleeps in Gundam, there is always a battle to face. Seriously, in this series the dead time does not exist, even this time the fight is compelling. Apparently, now Char has bread for his teeth.
Jul 24, 2016 9:54 AM

May 2012
Char is at it again! Pretty great development, let's see what's next.
Sep 24, 2016 3:11 AM

Jan 2015
Anyone care to explain why there is such a Char-hype? He is sorta cool, but all his plans regarding White Base fail everytime. The only time he succeeded at anything was when he killed the son of the emperor of his own side
Sep 24, 2016 12:43 PM

Dec 2015
@BVerfG Edmond Dantes expies are always the most popular characters in their own fictions.
Also, he is "three time faster", cunning, ready to do anything, conceals his pretty face, count his beautiful feature too. He is relatively more mature than Amuro ( in age and mentality, at least in the beginning). In terms of fighting skills, he starts as a better pilot than Amuro, keeps being at the same level for most of the series despite Amuro's gathered experience and increasing innate gift (Char's own Newtype potential being rather low compared to the hero) and did I say that he was a beautiful blonde guy who exhibited his body and was friend with another pretty boy?

I remember I was more of a "Amuro groopie", but must add that I personally love Char's voice (it was even a selling point of Unicorn for me).
Rei_IIISep 24, 2016 12:55 PM
Oct 6, 2016 10:37 AM

Jun 2013
Great episode! I wonder what will happen with Char and Sayla next episode!
Apr 24, 2017 7:37 AM

Feb 2012
That was a pretty stupid attack by Zeon. They try to deploy in range of the Federation's guns and lost a good portion of their force doing that.

Amuro Ray Kill Count:
1 Zock kill this episode
36 kills total
Oct 1, 2017 8:05 AM
Jul 2017
White Base can't catch a break. Bloody thing is never repaired. Gets band-aids put on all the time. Defenses were top notch. Blasting those Zakus and the like.
Mar 14, 2019 7:38 PM

Feb 2017
So California is controlled by Zeon. Figures.
eski514Mar 14, 2019 7:41 PM
Mar 3, 2020 1:28 PM

May 2018
Woody: Hi
10 minutes later
Woody: Bye
Sep 23, 2020 4:31 PM

Nov 2019
Ahhh.... Char's back
ah this episode made me miss Matilda

Oct 19, 2020 12:50 AM

Jun 2016
This episode felt like a huge clash of ideas. The beauty of butterflies and the grief of loss. The intimate comfort of medical exams and the incoming battle and tragedy. I liked it for the amount of ideas going around.

There are a lot of ideas of guilt, remorse, revenge. Carrying on the spirit of others. Amuro blaming himself for Matilda. Kai seeking revenge so no more innocents die. Lieutenant Woody staking everything to protect the White Base Matilda was so fond of.

What makes me worried is that Lieutenant Woody sacrificed himself. Following this Mirai concluded that men don't let things go and become childish. Kai was holding Miharu close to his chest as well, he wanted revenge, seeming like a parallel to Woody this episode. I wonder if it's foreshadowing that he will become, as Mirai said, childish and sacrifice himself.

To talk about the action, I must say that building up the Amuro / Char rivalry and then having him disappear for such a long time made this feel amazing! Seeing Char and Amuro recognize one another and start fighting had me the most excited I've been in the entire series. That's some effective writing.
Nov 1, 2020 8:15 AM

Aug 2017
I didn't expect Matilda to be relevant after several episodes. Sad to think that she would have married Woody if she had survived. Even he died protecting White Base. The scene with the possible marriage was quite creative (Ryu was there too lol).

I don't understand why Kai blames Zeon for Miharu's death. It's not like she was threatened by them. She died for herself.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 7, 2020 7:54 AM

Nov 2020
I have to admit... I cried while watching this episode
Jan 8, 2021 10:38 PM

Jul 2017
The new confrontation between Char and Amuro was good, and the increased suspicion of Sayla is interesting. I thought Woody was a very poorly handled character though.
Feb 28, 2021 10:07 PM
Feb 2020
Amuro does this too ofthen:

The enemy is engaged in battle he has the opportunity to provide what is called supporting fire and take out the enemy (flat out snipe the enemy) with his long range perfectly targeted blast from is beam gun.

But he just stands and stands and stands. Big Pose. And spends double the amount of time it takes to do a G-Armour mid-air conversion (He's got it down to 15 seconds now) ... just spacing out.

This episode he did it twice... Is it that guy I fought before. I'll just act like I'm watching a movie with some popcorn (some one should make a meme of this) and just watch the fight, oh and of course see if I can work out if it is that guy I fought before or it's a different guy... Oh No! while I was spacing out the enemy had a lot of fun and a very easy time killing the guy who was fighting to keep WB from being destroyed (again) because I was spacing out again!

I can't be the only one who kept thinking..... OFGS Just Fucking Shoot!

The red suit was completely open to his ray gun for the longest time... and then when the red suit got up after the explosion and jumped clear.... Then he shoots.

Also:

Kai isn't in the Brig? And how did he pass a psych evaluation?
Rui_ReiFeb 28, 2021 10:14 PM
Jul 31, 2021 9:40 PM

Oct 2012
Of course they had to play on our heartstrings by telling us that Matilda was about to marry. Woody not wanting his fiancés death to be in vain was quite powerful and I hoped he wouldn't die so unnecessarily. Though I guess he took out Char's camera and effectively blinded him.

Other than that, some nice Amuro vs. Char action, which is always appreciated.

Also just generally happy White Base arrived in allied territory and doesn't have to fight on it's own for once.
Nov 2, 2022 4:57 AM

May 2019
I'm just glad Char is back and in action.
Jan 13, 2023 9:28 PM
Nov 2020
OOOhhh a rematch between Amuro and Char. But this time Amuro is much stronger than he was last time. Can't wait to see Char meet his sister
Jan 13, 2023 9:30 PM
Nov 2020
Ston3_FreeN7 said:
I've got to wonder what the fuck Woody thought he was going to do with that aircraft he was using. I thought that was beyond stupid.

Otherwise, a pretty good episode. It was cool to see Amuro and Char fight for the first time in a long time and I liked "what could have been" scene.
Looks like due to his sacrifice he disabled Char's main camera on his Zaku. But I agree it was a suicide mission. RIP
May 12, 2023 9:02 PM
Jul 2018
well char and amuro are fighting again sad for m tildes fiancé they both died protecting white base
Aug 10, 2023 4:38 PM
Dec 2021
pretty damn good episode
Nov 22, 2023 6:39 PM

Feb 2020

Char's getting back in on a little bit of action hmm hmm hoping to see more of his confrontations unfold

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

65 by darthtruder »»
Apr 19, 4:54 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 36 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

102 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 15, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - May 26, 2008

79 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 14, 8:36 PM

» Complete Watch order

Grontan - Jan 2

15 by JoniGamer1996 »»
Apr 1, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mell4444 - Mar 25, 2010

53 by T3RCK_Z »»
Mar 12, 6:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.