Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this character?
Sep 17, 2010 9:22 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Character: Ladd Russo (Baccano!)

MAL Character Information Page: Ladd Russo

MAL Favorites: 385

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with this character discuss what they think makes it an exceptional character. What attributes make it stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character moulds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Ladd Russo was NOT inducted into the club Character list:
14 Yes - 20.5%
54 No - 79.4%

16 Don't know this character - 17.3% of the total number polled
8 Abstained - 8.6% of the total number polled
santetjanSep 27, 2010 5:04 PM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 17, 2010 11:05 AM

Jun 2008
Ladd is just plain fun. He steals every scene he is in with his own brand of sadistic glee. He dances in the blood of the fallen. He lovingly promises his fiancee that he will be the one to kill her. He is a bringer and reveler of chaos. What makes Ladd an exceptional character is he is just so bloody fun to watch. Aided by Fujiwara Keiji's masterful voice work, Ladd becomes one of the most enjoyable aspects of Baccano and one of my favorite anime villains.
takaSep 17, 2010 11:50 AM
Sep 17, 2010 1:17 PM
Jul 2018
nothing realy to spactacular NO
honestly baccano it self is given way too much praise
Sep 17, 2010 2:50 PM

Aug 2009
Baccano sure does have a fun cast, but when looking at each characters individually they lack (and just a little bit). Ladd is among the gang, being bad ass and bloody is not enough to be worthy of induction.So, even though I love Baccano! and is one of my favorite anime, there's not a single character in this show that deserves induction. This being said, I will vote no for Ladd.
WilioSep 17, 2010 2:53 PM
-Fixing-
Sep 17, 2010 4:11 PM

Jan 2009
I like the character, but does not deserve to be inducted.
Sep 17, 2010 9:26 PM

Oct 2008
Captain-Z said:

NO

ladd is amazing. one of the most entertaining characters ever, and he constantly makes you question whether he is good/evil, whether he is plain insane or otherwise, whether he actually loves that hot girl or not, what his real intentions are, that kind of thing. there's more to him than just a crazy dude that loves blood
Sep 17, 2010 10:46 PM

Feb 2009
Wilio said:
Baccano sure does have a fun cast, but when looking at each characters individually they lack (and just a little bit). Ladd is among the gang, being bad ass and bloody is not enough to be worthy of induction.So, even though I love Baccano! and is one of my favorite anime, there's not a single character in this show that deserves induction. This being said, I will vote no for Ladd.

I second that. Given the huge number of characters that are directly involved in the story, non of them gets enough depth. Baccano! is entertaining but the characters never pass that level. If you decide not to take them at face value you'd end up disliking the anime to some level. Non of the Baccano! cast is worthy of induction in my opinion even though I find many of them likable.

@BigSimo:
All these double-sided feelings you have towards Ladd are because of the plot and not the character itself.

Sep 18, 2010 2:43 AM

Oct 2008
Alright now I'm kind of confused, trying to separate him from the plot. Give me a little while and I'll come back to you
Sep 18, 2010 11:35 AM

Sep 2007
Captain-Z said:

This is surprisingly pretty accurate lol. I saw nothing other than generic as far as Ladd is concerned and was honestly puzzled at the number of people who went nuts over him. Really that's similar to my feeling toward the show itself as well. Yeah, it's a decent show and I recommend it to certain people who I think might enjoy it, but no idea how it accumulated so much hype.

The only character I found interesting was Claire Stanfield..but even then I don't think I would vote yes on him.
Sep 18, 2010 11:46 AM

Dec 2007
It's just that behind all the fun and "mystery" lies a pretty basic character, that does not even stand on its own.

No.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Sep 18, 2010 11:51 AM

Apr 2009
BlackMagic said:
The only character I found interesting was Claire Stanfield..but even then I don't think I would vote yes on him.

I agree. The most twisted and unpredictable character in Baccano!, Claire Stanfield wins over Ladd Russo on most of the aspects; Ladd Russo is a pretty well designed psycho, but I'm afraid there's not much other than a long series of "I'll fucking kill you". In the end Claire Stanfield is just a plot device (more like a deus-ex-machina maybe?) so I wouldn't know if I'd vote "yes" on him either... But I think he's better than Ladd Russo anyway, so it'll probably be a "no" on this too.
Sep 19, 2010 8:50 AM

Jul 2010
I don't really get where you're coming from.

How can Griffith be in the relations but Ladd is deemed as nothing special?
What is it about griffith that's so captivating? He was friends with guts turned on him, blah.

Onizuka is in the relations aswell, apart from his comedy aspect what is there to him? He's great yeah and he's a fun character but does that make him worthy of being inducted?
If so, then how come Gintoki didn't make it? Both characters are pretty much the same in that aspect.
Sep 19, 2010 9:36 AM

Oct 2007
Ladd is one of the characters that stood out to me the most in Baccano! I also feel like most of the characters in baccano don't really stand well on their own, but i think ladd does to an extent. And he is voiced by fujiwara keiji, really making his character great. It really made his character that much better having such a great voice actor.

I don't think there is much mystery to ladd. He is what you see and I like that fact. He is a "crazy" character that comes off as being pretty normal. It has been a while since I've seen baccano (when it was up for revote in the club) but even now ladd's character left an impression on me-which most shows (and definitely characters) don't do.
Sep 19, 2010 11:09 AM

Aug 2008
To me, there was a depth in Griffith's madness that is non-existent in Ladd. Most of the cast was offbeat or crazy for little to no reason besides the fact that doing crazy things is entertaining, so I just don't see why he's so special.
Sep 19, 2010 12:02 PM

Nov 2008
Ladd Russo, like the rest of the characters in Baccano, just doesn't stand out to me. Sure, he was badass(and everyone likes badass characters, right?), but aside from that, he doesn't really do anything noteworthy.

No.
Sep 19, 2010 8:08 PM

Sep 2009
Personally I found him to be a pretty generic sociopath. And that's about all. In a certain nihilistic fashion he was amusing to watch, however beneath his violent outbursts all his characteristics are superficial at best. No originality to his psychopathic behavior, nor are we really even given a reason for his apparent triggers or madness that would add a bit of realism to him. His character itself revolves around the violence he enacts; cool to look at but utterly mindless, and in many cases, needless.

Not worthy.

Will you kill the one you love because of love?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.