Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Mar 17, 2023 10:59 AM

Sep 2020
They didn't answer any of those questions. In the end it's not a mystery anime but just a human drama. To be honest I really like the ending and overall I will say it's a solid show. Easy 9/10 imo.
Mar 21, 2023 2:13 PM

Aug 2018
I feel it's something, that anime portrayed some of the experiences Reki and Rakka went through..
Apr 5, 2023 11:49 PM
Apr 2023
its just the rain i swear
Apr 25, 2023 5:05 PM

Jul 2017
Here is my interpretation, the Haibane are people who died too soon. I think there are two different types of Haibane. The normal Haibane are the children and others like Kuu who were people who died an unexpected death and their souls were not able to find a purpose before death. Kuu took flight when she felt like she achieved her life's purpose of being a good role model so I assume this is what it will be like for the other characters like the children Haibane. Then there are the sin bound Haibane they are unable to remember their dreams at first because they died by suicide, this is their sin. They need to overcome the feelings of guilt associated with this sin so they can be forgiven and eventually take flight. 

I think that this is some sort of purgatory and I think that the Haibane were good people before they died and either were sinless or had the only sin of suicide. I do feel like being a Haibane is training for being a full fledged angel, and when they take flight they become and angel and enter the afterlife. Also I don't think that the children are still born or were aborted as we never see any baby Haibane only little kids, as babies like still borns never got to experience life in the first place and therefore would not have unresolved feelings about it. Their lives weren't cut short they simply never had a life to begin with. 

This show was very interesting and left a lot of things open ended and up for interpretation which I enjoyed. Overall I think it was very good.
Sep 15, 2023 3:44 PM

Sep 2017
And thus she found her salvation by having someone go out of her way to save her.
It still bugs me, what was the qualification for people to become Haibane?
Edit: My theory is that they were people who died gruesome deaths. The sin-bound ones, who had die because of suicide, their key to salvation was to have someone who loved them; whether in the past life(the crow for Rakka) or gain one in the afterlife(Rakka for Reki).
Their dreams were also probably what they saw before death. Rakka died from jumping off a distance, Reki stood in front a train; Hikari, maybe she died in an explosion?
The same qualification probably goes for the children as well. Either that, or the abortion theory. Well we did also see that the haibane still age and grow in the "town"(Reki's flashback where she seems younger). Maybe the children will also grow up to become haibane?
@legsthefrog Yeah that's a good explanation. But it still leaves one thing unanswered, what was the purpose of the townspeople?
Now that I think about it, they did mention several times that "The town was built to protect the haibane" so that's probably their purpose as well. Or that they may be just neutral souls sent to purgatory to be tested.
FatephileSep 15, 2023 4:06 PM
خ
Sep 23, 2023 12:05 AM

Dec 2009
From the same producer of Serial Experiments Lain, I respect how unique this was.

Unfortunately, as intriguing as the beginning feels, and ultimately the concepts are, the plots to deliver its message in the end are a bit dull. 6/10.

Girls with angel wings are incredibly cute and charming with the attraction of their wings alone and how they live with them,
but even though there's a decent amount of number to the cast, the only most sophisticated characters are arguably 2-4.

The main protagonist, Rakka, for being the focus of narration as one who questions the world.
And Reki for being the focus of the negative contrast to the meaning of Haibane. One who's suffering in hidden solitude to guilt.
Then, there's arguably, Kuu who's the first we meet to pass on, as she gained fulfillment to herself.
Finally, there's the Interpreter who's the most knowledgeable as the guide to the Haibane.

The other characters have very little personality or plots at all to their story.
There's the sleepy librarian who was a scared brat to Reki, Nemu.
Kuu, the youngest of the teenagers who's childish, curious and playful.
Hikari, the baker who is the cause of Rakka's static hair for using the halo box as a donut maker in the oven. She's kinda forgettable in the end.
Kana, the tomboy who enjoys mechanics, works at fixing clocks. I love her though.
Hyouko, a weird guy who helped Reki when she was depressed and I guess got struck by lightning when sticking a rod in the wall which almost killed him.
Followed by his jealous wannabe girlfriend Midori, the tsundere who doesn't forgive Reki, until she does in the end.

The mysterious world is very intriguing, but fails in the end for some remaining unknown answers, to end with a dull finale.
Suicidal reincarnations, being reborn as "angels", living in a secluded town, to then fly to heaven once they've forgiven or found fulfillment is great.
It's just odd how they're also humans in the town, with a wall surrounding, this between life and death world.
Who seemingly live there and aren't dead or reborn like the Haibane, I guess.

The first half of the series is Rakka trying out her group's jobs, to figure out which jobs she wants.
Since in this world, they have to serve like citizens, and are forbidden to go near or past the wall.
Even though they only can after their day of flight, which isn't revealed at first, thus giving the false impression that it was completely forbidden.

All the known knowledge is from the Haibane Communicator.
He's from an odd group with strict cult religious monk kind rules where they're the only ones who can step in and out of the town. He is the only one who can speak to them when he gives them permission, but his men aren't allowed to speak to them. Only he.

Only he knows the truths.
Which only Reki knows a lot, for being cared by him as a sinbound with partial black wings.
Until near the end due to figuring things out on her own, Rakka learns new things herself which he reveals to her whenever she realizes them.

Throughout the story, after Kuu flies away, Rakka becomes depressed.
She's barely met her for only a few days, but as a friend, she wanted to do more with her, and formed a strong connection as her "junior" in their short time. Some people are more sensitive to bonds.

Meanwhile, Rakka recalls her dream.
Of falling through the sky. Death by falling.
Not suicide, like I thought, I guess, because she's not fully sinbound, only somewhat in some point because she feels guilt of dying early, I guess.
Until she recalls her loved one, whoever they are, family, lover, friend, reincarnated as a crow, trying to save her, yet dying in the town later, as a crow.

Somehow, it's impossible to meet your past relationships, as the Communicator claims. I think because they're not of the living since they died.

Anyway. Rakka becomes depressed after Kuu's departure, so she develops partial black wings.
Reki helps her. Reki's own story is then slowly revealed.

She's lived here for 7 years, and for all that time, she's felt betrayed and alone, because all of them pass on eventually.

The first one who cared for her while everyone else feared her was Kuramori, but she, I guess obviously passed on as well.
Reki doesn't remember her dream clearly. Until the finale we see her painting come to life, with her false wish to die into Hell, hit by a train from suicide, once more.
Until she calls for Rakka, who saves her. Finally she asked for help, and someone did. Now not feeling alone, she's not sinbound anymore, and can move on herself in the end.

That's all fairly good, but not great.
The first half is a little boring. Hyouko and Midori are weird, and Rakka works while she's contemplating how to save Reki.

Reki's truth is very underwhelming from its delivery.
Rakka gives her the impression of her true name,
Which the inside of the walls has every Haibane's true name, because they're first reborn with a name of their dream, and then have their name evolved to their perseverance of their original name, which Rakka learns from Kuu's name by the Communicator.

Which is the whole misdirection cause of Reki's depression, until Rakka saves her.
To then, simply be saved by one person after 7 years, and... finally move on.
It's all very good on paper, but the plots and methods, along with the pacing and lackluster supporting characters and overall lacking better plots... disappointing.

Still interesting in the end, but I expected and hoped for better from its potential in the beginning.

There were some amazing scenes though.
Particularly Rakka's wings unleashing, and any moment she cried for herself or other, I had tears almost everytime.
I kinda enjoyed it all, but it's still a little disappointing how dull it was overall.
Dec 9, 2023 9:18 AM
Jul 2019
It's so awesome, i was reluctant, but the similar idea to Angel Beats captivated me
Jan 21, 5:38 PM
Dec 2023
pretty apt conclusion for this show. a beautiful representation of emotional damage that occurs through isolation. ask people for help!
Jan 21, 5:38 PM
Dec 2023
pretty apt conclusion for this show. a beautiful representation of emotional damage that occurs through isolation. ask people for help!
Jan 25, 2:32 PM
Nov 2020
This was so beautiful.
Mar 6, 7:32 PM

Sep 2011
The show did end up being more about Reki overall than I initially expected but this was a really powerful way to send her and the show off, the tone of this show was 1 in a million and the way it handles the topic of salvation and forgiveness was nothing short of beautiful. Really special show thats only real fault I can think of is I wish it had a better visual side to really embrace more striking imagery to match the strong script and themes.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 22, 8:47 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Well, that was certainly something coming out of the early 2000s. You know, I didn't know this anime has had a cult following for all this years but after seeing that ending and coming to terms with it I can see why that's the case.

This was as unsettling as it was welcoming in an odd manner. The emphasis in religious symbolism combined with the mystery being developed by ruled imposed by the world, the various places being explored and the vagueness in some lines of dialogue lead to my confusion throughout a huge part of the way. Crows definitely convey something, as do the mere entity of the haibane, its restrictions, traditions, blessings and curses. There is probably a deep analysis to be made into each of the episodes now that we know how they develop (presumably) and how the people from town regard them. Speaking of which, are these people actually people in the first place? Is this whole place a metaphor for limbo or purgatory? Who knows really.

Anyways, to my knowledge this series was paced well albeit a bit slow here and there for my liking. The animation was mostly good for its time with some still frames but also remarkable moments mostly in moments of tension, disturbing shots and whatever happened this last episode. But the highlight for me was the music and it wa soothing with a huge role being played by violins and pianos. Its classical tone fit into the darkest moments as well as made the more lighthearted ones all the much more meaningful. In the end I felt much more immersed in each scene thanks to them.

Lastly, I felt that this story as much it was about Rakka, her way of discovering the world, realizing about her sin and then growing from it, it was about Reki, her sad background, coming to terms on how to forgive herself even at her lowest point on the breach of the point of no return and finally coming of age. It was delightful although I'll still need to watch some more digests to fully form my opinion. For now, it was good.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Apr 23, 2008

77 by killugxn »»
Mar 10, 12:50 PM

» This is so beautiful.

lFrogs - Nov 16, 2022

22 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:53 PM

Poll: » I don't get the ENDING of this show, and it didn't answer any of the obvious questions the series kept teasing.

Cestlavie_ - Nov 11, 2023

8 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Apr 22, 2008

126 by Yabuki_kyoma »»
Nov 10, 2023 7:19 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei - help please Is it better in Dub or Sub?

ignominy15 - Aug 11, 2015

18 by waalex11 »»
Sep 22, 2023 11:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.