Forum Settings
Forums
New
thoughts on social experiments?
Apr 23, 1:42 AM

Jan 2009
are they even reliable knowing they are just few anecdotes at most like less than 100 people (the bare minimum sample size) especially when done by youtubers?

also whats the best and worst social experiments you have watch? i cannot point one right now since i rarely watch any
degApr 23, 2:01 AM
Apr 23, 4:32 AM

Dec 2015
I have mixed feelings about it, cause in some cases it is good to check once/twice how people would react to some specific scenerios and verify it with such experiment.

But if you do that too often, as it was a trend several-few years ago on youtube, people will always consider it to be a social experiment or someone can use this fact, do a real crime but one of his associates will have a camera so he will "pretend" a social experiment which will cause no reaction and the crime will be done without any police/force stopping it.
Aswell as some experiments might occur in places of less safe areas where you have a higher risk of finding a person who's carrying a gun or a knife, from what I remember there were few cases in which such youtuber who tried to do social experiment was shot/stabbed or beaten heavily.

I don't watch such experiments as often they are staged [not every experiment], so the people are not completely "random". The only ones I've seen were by youtuber Dymitr in channel Sprawdzam Jak, he was checking if the visible by an apperance a child of 12-14 yo [so it wasn't a teenager who looked like 18+] could buy easily in big store/supermarket cigarettes/e-cigs/pyrotechnics. He also did it with co-op of that child parents who gave an allowance for such participation so it isn't anything outside guardian knowledge.
The best one is just a little clip which I've seen, I think it was in Sweden, no idea which city, where the guy was acting to being physically abusive on a girl, some people avoid interupting/was doing it softly until a random Polish guy pushed him to the wall cursing in Polish and asking "What the fuck are you doing huh?", the youtuber was so scared, I like that clip, gonna search it so I'll post it below.

Found it, gonna post below the clip, the full version is here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kwlq_2jGCY

Apr 23, 4:44 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Zettaiken
I have mixed feelings about it, cause in some cases it is good to check once/twice how people would react to some specific scenerios and verify it with such experiment.

But if you do that too often, as it was a trend several-few years ago on youtube, people will always consider it to be a social experiment or someone can use this fact, do a real crime but one of his associates will have a camera so he will "pretend" a social experiment which will cause no reaction and the crime will be done without any police/force stopping it.
Aswell as some experiments might occur in places of less safe areas where you have a higher risk of finding a person who's carrying a gun or a knife, from what I remember there were few cases in which such youtuber who tried to do social experiment was shot/stabbed or beaten heavily.

I don't watch such experiments as often they are staged [not every experiment], so the people are not completely "random". The only ones I've seen were by youtuber Dymitr in channel Sprawdzam Jak, he was checking if the visible by an apperance a child of 12-14 yo [so it wasn't a teenager who looked like 18+] could buy easily in big store/supermarket cigarettes/e-cigs/pyrotechnics. He also did it with co-op of that child parents who gave an allowance for such participation so it isn't anything outside guardian knowledge.
The best one is just a little clip which I've seen, I think it was in Sweden, no idea which city, where the guy was acting to being physically abusive on a girl, some people avoid interupting/was doing it softly until a random Polish guy pushed him to the wall cursing in Polish and asking "What the fuck are you doing huh?", the youtuber was so scared, I like that clip, gonna search it so I'll post it below.

Found it, gonna post below the clip, the full version is here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kwlq_2jGCY

@Zettaiken lol he should have been punch for that social experiment
Apr 23, 6:11 AM

Sep 2016
I guess the results can be interesting, but the reproducibility of social experiments is usually low and therefore most results aren't very credible.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 23, 6:24 AM

Jul 2016
Every thread that I create is a social experiment.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2156845 Best kind of relationship in anime?
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2155787 Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2155952 Hottest character from any of your Anime Favorites OR Character Favorites? (profile)
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2156848 The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2156757 (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1730522 You must let the avatar above Verbally Abuse, Beat, Fart On, Lick, Pet, Strip, or Tie you up!
Apr 23, 6:30 AM

Feb 2018
Oh hey deg, it's been a while
It's mixed feelings for me too. There are some aspects of it that i think holds true to the average person but eventually it all boils down to the unique set of social skills, personality of a particular individual. Plus sociopaths and psychopaths just throw a wrench into these social experiment studies with sample sizes trying to average out certain behaviors. It's a mixed bag, but not totally bogus. Just that it's tough to conduct proper social studies and deal with the probability of unique cases of some individuals.

If you are a friend. Visit my profile to recommend me something to watch ( ^▽^)ψ__
Apr 23, 6:42 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to tsukareru
Oh hey deg, it's been a while
It's mixed feelings for me too. There are some aspects of it that i think holds true to the average person but eventually it all boils down to the unique set of social skills, personality of a particular individual. Plus sociopaths and psychopaths just throw a wrench into these social experiment studies with sample sizes trying to average out certain behaviors. It's a mixed bag, but not totally bogus. Just that it's tough to conduct proper social studies and deal with the probability of unique cases of some individuals.
@tsukareru that is true especially for psychopaths that are natural liars
Apr 23, 7:32 AM

Feb 2022
The only kind of "social experiement" that's acceptable is whatever Socrates was doing in the dialogues.
Apr 24, 9:40 AM

Mar 2008
Film people to upload unedited without their consent
Try to harass or scare people
Add staged plants
?????????????
Profit

It kind of depends on what they are doing though. A lot of the time the social experiments are not even proper social experiments just crappy "prank" vids rebranded.
Apr 24, 10:05 AM

Jul 2013
Facebook is the ultimate social experiment. For those dumbasses that post all of their personal info online lol.
Apr 29, 9:34 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I prefer antisocial experiments, like the time MrBeast was buried alive for 1 week.
Apr 29, 9:52 PM

Oct 2009
I think it really depends on how the experiment are conducted and what controls you have in place when producing these social experiments. Like all experiments, the quality of the research and the subsequent conclusions gained are highly dependent on the setup of the experiments. In the best-case scenario, there can be genuine value in these social experiments. I recall watching the series Secret Eaters where various social experiments were performed and a good number of them delivered some decent insights. On the other hand, some YouTube social experiments are nothing better than pseudoscience at best (scams at worst). So really the setup, controls you have in place are key to what you get out of this. Best approach is to take things on a case-by-case basis and to evaluate based on the individual merits of the particular social experiment.
Apr 30, 8:10 AM

Nov 2019
YouTube social experiments are garbage always have been and always will be. Especially those by creators like Fousey and the likes.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bear or Man?

_Nette_ - 2 hours ago

6 by LoveYourEyes »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps? ( 1 2 )

Miscanthus - Apr 27

50 by Miscanthus »»
1 hour ago

» How do you travel daily

ST63LTH - 10 hours ago

13 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » do you engage or ignore what you hate?

deg - Yesterday

9 by 707supremacist »»
1 hour ago

» Have you ever been falsely accused of anything?

Ejrodiew - May 1

25 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.