Forum Settings
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Aug 7, 2010 9:49 PM

Sep 2009
Finished. Wow. Usually I don't go for the "and they all lived happily ever after" sort of endings, but considering the shit everyone had to go through, they totally deserved it. Only a few nitpicks: Roy isn't Fuhrer, not enough Roy and Riza, Greed died, etc. But that pales in comparison to the fact that everything else was so good and fitting.

Really, I've never cried of joy until today....
Aug 12, 2010 4:16 AM
Mar 2008
I wanted to know how it all ends but didnt want it to finish. I miss it so much already.

The ending was good, i liked the fact that Ed still kept his leg. I have realy enjoyed reading and waiting each month for a new release.

I was so happy to hear that there will be a special side story in the next issue of Shonen Gangan, can't wait!!
Aug 13, 2010 10:58 AM

Oct 2008
Now that i think about it , i'm extremely satisfied wit how the whole fma franchise has come to an end , instead of draggin on like crazy , arakawa took a great decision and ended fma when it was going extremely strong . Hats off arakawa .

And now , i can't wait for the new fma gaiden :)
Aug 17, 2010 5:26 AM

May 2008
A Fitting End (your vote)

What else can I say?
Aug 22, 2010 5:19 PM

Sep 2009
My fave manga has ended... noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
I feel so sad now ;_ ; thought I'm also happy *w*
Ah, what a wonderful manga.
Aug 26, 2010 12:31 AM

May 2010
Awesome ending too bad that they can't use alchemy anymore but still it's a good and happy ending!!

Aug 26, 2010 5:07 AM

Jan 2009
YEX said:
too bad that they can't use alchemy anymore
You know it's just Ed who can't use alchemy anymore, right?
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Nov 22, 2012 5:30 AM

Jan 2012
ok~ i still cant write anything constructive >.< so press the spoiler button only if you are ready to see some more emoticons and random words of another obsessive fanatic fma's fan
Aug 27, 2013 9:52 PM

Nov 2009
^_^ Like the happy endings ... Even Hohenheim dying was somehow a "happy ending".

Anyways a very solid Shounen. Of course the characters weren't super deep but then again, that actually would have ruined the tone. The plot was also very well done. Over all a very solid series and definitely a good example of what a Mainstream Shounen should be. 8/10.
Pirating_NinjaAug 27, 2013 10:26 PM
Dec 28, 2013 7:10 AM
Oct 2013
Im soooo happy about the ending! May be one of my favourite endings to a manga. It may not be completely realistic of course but its the ending I wanted. Almost had me in tears....sigh so happy about Alphonse there's nothing else to say T_T
Jan 3, 2014 1:46 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
One of the best, if not the best of the shounen manga. Memorable characters, high stakes drama and lots of action (but none of those neverending fights pervasive in other titles) make it an unforgettable read.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 7, 2015 10:05 AM

Feb 2012
Farabeuf said:
One of the best, if not the best of the shounen manga. Memorable characters, high stakes drama and lots of action (but none of those neverending fights pervasive in other titles) make it an unforgettable read.

Sums it up. Naruto got me into anime and manga but it was Fullmetal Alchemist that made me seek more of this world. As cheesy as it may seem it never fails to make me cry and laugh and have all these emotions and I watch it and now I've finished the manga. Such a good journey that makes me wish that I'd have started from the beggining. It is really a masterpiece.

because the weather was good enough
i loved every moment of it.
Nov 14, 2015 12:47 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Ed sacrificed his alchemy to bring back Al. Mustang regained his sight from Marcoh's philosopher stone. The scene with Ed, Al and Winry made me cry a little. Scar will help Ishval regain their name. Ed x Winry and Al X May (maybe)!

For this chapter: 5/5

For this series: 9.8/10
Mar 9, 2016 10:52 AM

Mar 2009
Why does mal say there's 116 chapters?
Jun 2, 2016 1:20 AM

Mar 2014
Ronin_Alx said:
Why does mal say there's 116 chapters?
The database included bonus chapters for some series. For FMA, it's 6.5, 12.5, 16.5, 29.5, 57.5, 61.5, 65.5, 95.5 & 108.5.
Jun 18, 2019 6:19 AM

Jul 2016
Good ending, Edward grew up well as a character
May 21, 2020 5:08 AM
May 2020
One of the best stories I've seen so far not just in manga/anime format but in general. A solid 10/10, amazing ending, story, themes and characters. I can't stop crying for Hohenheim, he was so happy his sons called him Dad and he got to shake Al's hand, was even ready so sacrifice his life for Al.
I'm also very happy Scar got a decent ending, he was my favorite character and I'm glad he redeemed himself.
Can't wait to forget some parts of the story so I can reread it or watch Brotherhood in a few years so experience this again.
Nov 10, 2020 9:31 AM
Nov 2020
idc what people say, the manga was WAY better than the anime
Aug 19, 2021 1:56 AM
Sep 2020
I didn't cry but I felt empty 😭😭,Enjoyed reading this manga ,it's one of my favorites now,I will miss this for sure😭😭,

There were some boring moments in the beginning but it was all worth it ,

Best character for me ,I can't choose all are bad characters,all are good

Fullmetal alchemist left me empty ,so that it's my turn to refill that emptiness
With my family,friends,work place ,brothers,sisters.etc

This is the law of equivalent exhange ,exhange your hearts for others ,and remember it always comes with pain and hardship,without hardships it's meaningless

😭😭
Oct 25, 2021 5:49 AM

Nov 2019
Why does MAL put 116 chapters, when the real count is 108? Is it that hard?
After many years since it’s conclusion, I finally finished FMA myself. It was a very entertaining and heartwarming story, and the ending didn’t disappointed me at all. I like happy endings, so I was very okay with it. I finally understand why this manga is so much loved and appreciated. I had a hard time at the beginning, dropping this manga two times before finally finishing it, and the main reason was the first 1/3 of FMA: all those overwhelming silly jokes and a story that just wouldn’t take the flight made me feel like I was forcing myself through it and really couldn’t understand why FMA was considered to be a masterpiece. I really liked and enjoyed this manga at the end, but I can’t unsee or forget how the first 9 volumes felt. A masterpiece has to grab my attention and curiosity since the very start, and not only for 2/3 of the overall story. I rate a shounen mostly based on how much it entertained me, and the first 9 volumes struggled on that purpose. Nevertheless, it’s a 9/10 for me.
Sep 20, 2022 4:03 PM

Jul 2019
man that ending...i feel like 15-year old me again

i had a more swell time with this than brotherhood...solid 9/10 in my books ;)
Aug 26, 2023 11:31 PM

Dec 2009
Truly, one of the best classics. 9/10.

I prefer Brotherhood for expanding on the action and giving this manga life with animation, sound and voices,
but most of the slight cuts and changes from Brotherhood, I prefer the full scenes of the original manga. 
The only superior scenes I prefer in the anime are Nina/Alexander becoming a Chimera, and Hohenheim's reunion with Ed and Al being more serious and not comedic, or when Ed sees his father cry.
Otherwise, I'm disappointed that Brotherhood cut or changed a lot of brief moments from Izumi and Hohenheim. 
Aside from that, a few scenes with some other characters, like Al, May, Mason, or Winry, etc.
Although the expanded action of the anime is great.

I originally watched FMA around 2009, and FMAB later in 2010. 
Today, I read and completed the manga for the first time while rewatching Brotherhood. 

From what I've read of the great shounen.
When I compare Fullmetal Alchemist with all of them, it remains as one of the top best,
but I feel like Tokyo Ghoul and Attack on Titan are better in some form, even with their own flaws. 

Fullmetal Alchemist is a great story for a reason. 
The use of religion in life, with the power of alchemy, the mastermind of 500 years from the Dwarf in the Flask, 
The life and journey of the brothers, the evolving mysteries of the truth, and the events of survival as they fight for their lives.  
The characters, particularly the villains are quite good, as well as the conflicted allies. 

Overall, it's great.
The biggest flaw of Fullmetal Alchemist is its comedy though.
I think it's effortlessly entertaining that it's not bad at all because it's enjoyable, but it does take away in the seriousness of their situations of life and death. 
As teenagers, the logic of their immaturity in tense situations of potential death could be accepted, but regardless, the comedy in those moments are meaningless, and would be better excluded. 
Fullmetal Alchemist would be better if it took itself more seriously by not including comedy in most of these battles of death or any danger.

As for the world building and lore of alchemy, including "God" and the Dwarf in the Flask, 
I personally can't figure out any flaws to them, because it just makes sense, so I think that's fine. 

My nitpicks would be some events after the second half before and during judgement day.
Any moment with Sloth is dull. He's ugly and obnoxious which makes him boring, and some battles with soldiers is a little dull as well. 
The Mannequin Soldiers aren't very menacing or scary I guess which is arguably a problem in making the battle with Sloth somewhat boring. 

The characters are very good. 
Somehow, they're not exactly great or incredible though when I compare them to the characters of Tokyo Ghoul. 
They are great in their own right, but they almost feel underutilized. 
The Homonculi of the Seven Sins of Men is a great concept, and their personalities are fairly good.
Envy and Greed stand out the most since they have the most character development. 
Lust and Gluttony die first so... but Pride is intriguing as well. Wrath is awesome. Incredible villain.

Edward is solid, but it's interesting how well the story did in avoiding him to murder.
As for the supporting characters, they're all very good in their own right of their personality and goals. 
Hohenheim is a bit odd for how cowardly with comic relief he is in the beginning which I'd consider a flaw, but otherwise his excuses are solid. 

I could waste hours in tryng to breakdown each character or plots, but whatever. I think they're all good for the most part.
I'm glad May didn't instantly start (or never) dating Al though, because her love for him starts as a disgusting fantasy replacement of what she envisioned in Ed. 
Lan Fan, I'm surprised only stayed a bodyguard and seemingly never revealed her romantic feelings for Lin in that ending picture. 

Selfishly, I wish there was more romance afterwards with Edward and Winry, but as subtle in slow development their love is, their ending is very sweet.
Even if it's not a grand romance with a lot of moments and only very few developing moments, yet well done for hinting that she fell for him since she was a child. 

... I barely explained anything properly but...
The constant evolution of mystery and their journey was great. The finale battle as Edward wins is beautiful. The finale is nice. 

It's all very good, but when I compare it to Tokyo Ghoul or Attack on Titan,
as great as it is in its own right, while being solid overall. Individually, the plots, twists and characters are better in shock value or drama in Tokyo Ghoul and Attack on Titan.
The flaw with Tokyo Ghoul is the many left unknown mysteries and the somewhat disappointing ending because of that for not knowing more.
As for Attack on Titan... its only flaw is the finale. It's very disappointing and conflicting in feeling. It's confusing as well.

But, compared to Brotherhood. 
A lot of the scenes in Tokyo Ghoul or Attack on Titan are more tragic, dramatic and dark.
Particularly Tokyo Ghoul, the characters are more sophisticated with more complexity.
The characters in Fullmetal Alchemist are good, but TG has a cast that's more complex with more experience in their lives, while FMA's are more simple yet well used in the story. 
It's hard to explain maybe without seeming like I'm hating. They have more backstory and goals, with difficult relationships, while FMA some supporting characters are simpler.

Because FMA has less plots and complicated bonds then TG. Anyway. Incredible manga nonetheless.
Even though I feel that Tokyo Ghoul is "better", FMA is less flawed, thus more close to flawless in some form, because TG left out- I don't know, they're both great. Whatever, lol.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Chapter 14 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - May 28, 2011

9 by wildhood »»
Jan 29, 5:00 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Chapter 2 Discussion

suki78787 - Aug 9, 2009

15 by OnigirisBasket »»
Jan 2, 11:05 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist &quot;Another Journey's End&quot; Chapter Discussion

animegurlfreak - Sep 23, 2010

44 by NaughtyNoddy »»
Nov 26, 2023 5:02 PM

» Why does MAL list 116 chapters?

Yman1512 - Dec 1, 2021

3 by DigiCat »»
Oct 30, 2023 1:14 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Chapter 6 Discussion

Heneshi - Jul 3, 2012

11 by Froqz17 »»
Oct 29, 2023 12:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.