Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2010 12:10 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great first episode and superb atmosphere, I think I will enjoy this story.
Aug 14, 2010 8:47 AM
Feb 2010
Same...I liked it as well
Nov 7, 2011 8:48 AM

Jul 2009
People try to get suitable rewards whenever they can.
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

Jan 6, 2012 5:37 AM

May 2011
*pukes*
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Mar 3, 2013 9:13 PM

Jul 2008
That's the way to start a show, An invasion and complete surrender of a world without firing a shot. Not liking the Abh so far.
Nov 13, 2013 11:13 PM

Nov 2009
The Abh seem rather arrogant to be honest. Or rather, I'm not sure if one should consider them human anymore after throwing away their humanity like that . . . Oh well.

Interesting first episode.
Feb 15, 2014 12:55 AM

Aug 2013
Maybe Jinto's dad was just trying to avoid bloodshed? Their defense satellite's armaments couldn't even make a dent on an Abh ship. It would just be a massacre if the Hyde government resisted. But then again that deal seemed more like an under the table agreement. I surrender the planet to you and give you full control of our armaments, in exchange you make me the ruler of the planet.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
May 19, 2014 6:38 AM

Jun 2012
I love how this show is so in depth with a whole language and a whole different race of humankind, with it's own ideals and standards. Personally, I really like the Abh.

I love how in the dire situation of the Earth at the beginning, Jinto managed to see a beauty in the thousands of ship soaring through the night sky. The innocence of a child really came through in that scene, and I hope we see such innocence come through in his character as an adolescent.
Jan 15, 2016 7:41 PM

Jun 2009
this was cool. the first thing that stood out to me was the awesome soundtrack. actually, no, the first thing that stood out to me was the "elvish" at the start. i thought i downloaded the wrong version...

third series (had to skip vandread for now, downloading too slow) on my 31 day anime challenge.
Feb 15, 2016 6:26 PM

Nov 2011
Now that was a good start. It was a bit info-heavy at first, but it became more clear as it progressed.

I don't think what Rock did would have been wrong if he had consulted with the others first. They had no idea if their defenses would have been enough to defeat the Abh, and giving their citizens the ability to travel amongst the Abh systems was a good benefit. Having someone from their own system rule actually makes it a pretty decent deal overall in my opinion, but making that person yourself and making said deal on your own does make it look like you betrayed your country, whether or not that was Rock's intention.

In any case, Jinto is not to blame. Since he's Abh nobility now and needs to learn the Abh's ways, we should get a better perspective of the Abh soon.

I'm assuming for now that on a fundamental level the Abh are still human. Whether they are as a culture good people remains to be seen. I think it would be very easy to make a quick judgement of them based on their takeover of the Hyde, but I am reserving that judgement for now.
Dec 19, 2016 8:54 PM

May 2015
im very interested. the music was great. the old art and animation doesn't bother me.

i think ill enjoy this
Feb 11, 2017 1:35 PM

Apr 2014
Not gonna lie it took me 2 tries to watch this show because I didn't understand the beginning at all but I gave it a shot and I'm glad I did
Plus it gives enough backstory on Jinto to explain the basic things about him :]
Oct 20, 2017 4:12 PM

Feb 2013
Interesting start. Sunrise, back when they still made decent anime.

Not sure if politics will remain a focus of this anime yet. I hope it does.

The president selling-out his homeworld... it seems like he did it to protect them. He also set things up so that the next generation would take over (his son).
Dec 21, 2017 4:48 AM

Jul 2016
Following the consensus of everybody here and say it was a very good start. Music was top notch, really cool story line, and my favorite part was Jinto staring out at the ships lighting up the night sky. Not sure why I liked it so much, either :).

May 2, 2019 5:10 PM

Feb 2014
Well, I have been told this show is a big hidden jem, let's see if it is, I plan to go throught the whole thing (all seasons).
Oct 13, 2019 2:34 AM
Mar 2018
There are some things that confused me but I liked the episode. I think that Teal's and other people's hatred of Rock Lin is completely unjustified. The Abh clearly outnumbered and outgunned the Martine planet, it would have been for nought to fight them at that juncture. I don't believe there is any logical reason to engage in a fight that you have no chance of winning because it would cost lives and infrastructure but no benefits. If it turns out that the defence system was actually a threat to the Abh, then it goes to reason that the people of Martine should organise an underground resistance and develop weapons to use against the Abh. Rock Lin made the smart decision, live to fight another day!!!
Nov 13, 2021 12:39 AM
Jul 2018
Animation was crap and characters are all cardboard cutouts. Too damn boring. I heard some ppl compare this to lotgh. Like wtf. 1/10. I am gonna drop this show here. Heard from some people that it just gets worse
Mar 7, 2022 7:23 AM

Aug 2016
BurntJelly said:

The president selling-out his homeworld... it seems like he did it to protect them. He also set things up so that the next generation would take over (his son).

Right! That's my impression I had so I thought that the characters overreacted and blamed him way too much (Being colonised is better than dying) - But I guess in that situation everyone was very shocked.

Overall good first episode though and looking forward to seeing where it goes.
Aug 12, 2023 6:54 AM

Dec 2022
Rock seems like a bit of a snake. The Abh are apparently very cautious of expending their ships on trying to tackle the Martine defense system, yet Rock goes behind the back of the entire planet and sells them out to the space elves, all for the sake of attaining status amongst the Abh. What's the point of having an executive secretary if you never consult them for anything?

This anime looks amazing so far. Beautiful backgrounds, characters seem multi-dimensional, and it doesn't bombard you with exposition right from the start.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

» Pointless and unnecessary discussion on ultranegative reviews

Rastrelly - Dec 15, 2022

14 by Rastrelly »»
Apr 1, 6:56 AM

» Political Confusion

Xaeveax - Jun 18, 2021

4 by 0063873192871 »»
Mar 25, 2:38 PM

Poll: » Seikai no Monshou Episode 13 Discussion

jacobpaige - May 17, 2008

47 by Dreadogastus_F »»
Mar 11, 7:57 PM

Poll: » Seikai no Monshou Episode 6 Discussion

Veethorn - Jun 8, 2010

17 by Dreadogastus_F »»
Feb 22, 9:01 PM

Poll: » Seikai no Monshou Episode 5 Discussion

wakka9ca - Mar 18, 2010

30 by Dreadogastus_F »»
Dec 8, 2023 4:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.